• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Livestream up! Polybrawl 5: Return of the Metaknight: November 27th NYC, NY

HelpR

Smash Ace
[-URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11301435#post11301435"][-IMG]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3644/polybrawl5icon.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

remove the - in front of the URL and IMG tag, and copypasta that into your sig

Jash

Smash Lord
I hope I do well this tournament, top 10 is what I'm aiming for again. I'll be really happy with that since I know a lot of people is going to this.

HelpR

Smash Ace
owning a car in NYC is difficult. I'm one of the few people that do, but after going to mass madness like 3 or 4 weeks back, it's been sounding kinda bad, so i'm trying to avoid taking my car anywhere until I get it looked at by my pops.

I'm seriously one of the few NYC smashers that has a car, kinda annoying -.-

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
hyper dabuz (when hes hyper, he places top 3) is looking for a partner, specifically G&W, snake, aggressive mks, or toonlink (especially toonlink *stares at jash*)

HelpR

Smash Ace
edited OP with information on entering the building. If you have any problems PLEASE PM me. I can most likely get anyone in without a picture ID, but I NEED you guys to bring one if you own one. It makes running the event significantly easier as we can get people in with less of a hassle.

DARKDRAGONHIEI

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-5788-9766
friend told me about this awhile ago. sounds like fun i'll be sure to be there. doubt i'll make it pass the first round, but heres hoping so ^_^

HelpR

Smash Ace
Man. this is a little less then 3 weeks away. should probably start hyping this a little harder.

Well, for starters, I'd like to say that if at all possible, I'd like to do a few side events, time permitting of course. Can any of you suggest a side event you'd really like to see?

What I have in mind atm is LT singles, but if any of you have a suggestion on what else we could do, let me know.

Near as I can tell, no one has any problems with the ruleset, so i'll be finalizing it shortly. I'll also go and take pictures of the venue fairly soon.

I'm also happy to announce that we will have a livestream set up again, hooked up to a projector like last time, with my good friends D1 and Jtails both on deck as commentators for the livestream, so that's a small treat for all the people at home at cant make it for the event

On top of that, i'll also have a twitter set up specifically for the event, which can be checked if you wish to see how the tournament is progressing

This will hopefully go well, so I hope to see yall there. Let's make this the best Polybrawl ever.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
HelpR, do you think Brawl- would be an okay side event?
I'm not saying I would organize it, but I think it would be a good
thing.

HelpR

Smash Ace
I'll do a little bit of voting the day of the tourney, however, i'm gonna have to prohibit any brawl offshoots from making an appearance at this tournament, at least in a competitive sense.

So far the categories is LT singles and doubles, MT singles and doubles.

Also considering doing amateur bracket, but if we dont have enough time, that'll obviously be out of the question

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
do amateur. you can run it while you do the main tournament and it would be great for those lesser players.

HelpR

Smash Ace
>> well, tbh, as far as the amateur tournament goes, i'd need to figure out who can and cannot participate.

If we start entries before singles start, then we can run the two events concurrently, however, we would need to disallow anyone who was on the PR this season or last season from entering.

On the flip side, if we do the amateur tournament and start it halfway through singles, we can make it 3-5 dollar entry, with anyone who was knocked out of the tournament who got a placing of top 32 or top 16 (though i'm afraid with top 16, the amateur bracket might have too many people too, because if we expect the same attendance as last time, that's 60 something people for a amateur bracket.) I could also allow in those who did not enter singles to enter the amateur bracket, however, and i'm making this statement official now, I will NOT seed based on skill for this. I will gladly seed based on region, as there are many players who would likely want to play someone OOS, and that's easy to seed, however, for the most part i'll attempt to seed this randomly. If you wish to look at the bracket after it's made, to ensure you dont fight a friend first round, that's fine, i'll gladly do a quick switch, but seeding based on skill is out of the question here, as i'm hoping to give the players of low to medium skill level an actual chance.

As far as entry is concerned, i'm thinking 3-5 dollars entry for amateur bracket, with the pot breakdown being:

50/25/15/5/(2.5% or entry fee, whichever is greater) for 30+

and

55/25/15/5 for less then 30 people

Let me know what you all think of the pot breakdown, what the best placing in the singles tournament allowed in should be, and if PRed people should be allowed to participate in the amateur bracket if they didn't enter.

This event is mostly for the nubs who come to check out a smash tournament, i'd prefer it if they didnt get absolutely stomped, lol.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I think for AM you need to have it for people that are not known / do not hit passed 13th or 9th. No offense to lucas but he should never be put in an AM tournament

HelpR

Smash Ace
well, my main thing with that is, that due to this being a somewhat large tourney, I dont really know how alot of the OOSers do in their own region, so there's really no way to police that. Also, i think alot of people that are coming to this tournament would have placed top 13 at least once in their smash career, so that would disqualify a whole lot of people, and finding out when and how they did this well is quite difficult.

I'm expecting the skill level of the AM participants to be fairly high regardless of what I do tbh.

HelpR

Smash Ace
alright, so how about this:

We do the above mentioned payout, and we make the cutoff for the amateur tournament anyone who got 25th or worse in the tournament. We make entry fee 5 dollars, and make the tournament either double elimination 3 stock 8 min, or double elimination 2 stock 6 min, depending on the projected time of completion.

so basically, as soon as 3/4 of the people in the tournament are bopped, we can start amateur, using the majority of the setups for the amateur tournament, and keeping the livestream and 2 other setups open for the tourney proper.

Sound good?

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
do amateur. you can run it while you do the main tournament and it would be great for those lesser players.
instead, just have it for the players who place less than 13th or 17th or something and if good players get into the AM bracket it would make sense because they probably got bracket gayed.

HelpR

Smash Ace
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287864

ok guys, I need everyone whose going to speak about the thread to do it in the above link. I'd also like to ask a mod to close this thread so we can redirect all hype and attention to that one particular thread on tournament listings.

updated ruleset is also posted for each possible side event, look it over and let me know everyone which side event you want. I'll hold a vote the morning of PB5 during registration as to which side event everyone wants to happen. I'd like to ask everyone stops posting in here if possible, and i'll ask chibo or another mod to close/move this shortly.

Top Bottom