Image Courtesy of Keitaro
livestream link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/polybrawl
So it's been what? nearly 6 months? Guess we're a bit overdue.
For anyone new to brawl, Polybrawl is a tournament run out of polytechnic university down in brooklyn. This tournament as always, is run by me and my friends who make up the small crew polytek
Note: As always, the rules are debatable and we can always discuss them. If you feel a rule to be incorrect or questionable, post in the thread.
NOTE: As always, the schedule must be strictly followed. Keep in mind that unless you speak to either me, or one of my staff before leaving the premises or doing anything that will delay you for more then a few minutes, you WILL be subject to mage's DQ rule, and you WILL be disqualified if you disappear for long lengths of time. If you need to do something, tell the staff first. Also, while in the smash community it is generally regarded that 'starts at 11 means starts at 12, and starts at 2 means starts at 3' the venue has become more strict as to allowing events to run on past campus hours, so we will start each event on time if possible, and 15-30 min late at the most.
10am - Registration for both events
11am - Doubles registration ends
11:30am - Doubles Begins
2pm - Singles begins
5pm - Either Amateur bracket, LT singles, or MT singles, depending on voting outcome
$10 Venue fee
$10 Doubles per teammate
TV - $7 off venue fee
Wii - $2 off venue fee
bring in both: full $10 back
NOTE: Discounts apply only if the equipment is used!
Up to 40 people...
1st Place - 60%
2nd Place - 30%
3rd Place - 10%
More than 40 people...
1st Place - 60%
2nd Place - 25%
3rd Place - 10%
4th Place - 5%
More then 80 people...
1st Place - 55%
2nd Place -25%
3rd Place - 10%
4th Place - 5%
5th Place - 2.5%
Doubles will have a similar payout trend adjusted for teams.
Polytechnic Institute of NYU
6 Metrotech Center
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Subway - ( www.hopstop.com is your friend )
A, C, F - Take to Jay St. - Borough Hall and exit onto Jay St. / Myrtle Promenade. You should be right near the front entrance, there's a BIG Red Statue there and the front entrance says NYUoly.
B, Q - Take to De Kalb Ave. Once you get off, transfer to the R, M train headed uptown toward Manhattan. Take it one short stop to Lawrence St... (refer to R, M directions...)
R, M - Take to Lawrence St. and take an exit around the mid area of the platform. Head up to Jay St., the busiest street in the area, hard to miss it. Head in the direction away from Fulton St., and towards City Tech / Marriot. Once you see the BIG Red Statue, head there and you should see the entrance to NYU: Poly.
2 ,3 ,4 , 5 - Take to Borough Hall. Walk towards Jay St. Similar to the directions for R, M trains, but you will be across the street on the other side of Jay. St. Look for the BIG Red Statue and head towards it and enter NYUoly.
Cell Phone: 646-270-7299 - Call for any trouble with directions on the day of the event
* 3 Stock
* 8 Minute Time Limit
* All items off, including smashball
* No stalling or running away to purposely run out the time limit (running out minimal time is one thing, multiple minutes is just ridiculous)
* 40 LGL, if the match result is a timeout, and one of the players grabbed the ledge more then 40 times, the match will be considered a loss for the player who did so.
* If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You cannot quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.
* Controller port will be decided either by playing rock paper scissors, G&W numbers, or flipping a coin. whatever floats your boat. In teams, the team that wins the game for port priority will choose one port first, then the opponents will choose their ports, and the teammate of the person who choose their port first will choose last.
Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character**
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
* Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
** If the loser of the previous match chooses to use random pick for the stage, the winner cannot change character
Neutral Stages: - each player can strike one stage and remaining stage is played
* Final Destination
* Lylat Cruise
* Yoshi's Island (SSBB)
* Delfino Plaza
* Castle Siege
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Rainbow Cruise
* Pokemon Stadium(Melee)
* Pokemon Stadium 2
1. Any Standing and Small Step Infinite is BANNED . If the infinite requires a wall to work, then the infinite may be continued up to 200%, but any further then that will be considered stalling. IC chain grabs are NOT considered a standing or small step infinite.
2. If there is a dispute over controller ports, play Rock Paper Scissors for it ( if you guys cannot do this I will flip a coin)
3. If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
4. If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.
Same standard rules and stages as singles.
Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is using a character that might make it tough to determine the teams color (like Sonic, Lucario, or Pokemon Trainer), they are allowed to request control of a certain color to help lessen confusion.
* Stock sharing is allowed.
* Team Attack is on.
Mages DQ Rules :
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set
Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification.
In the event of a TIE at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins. If both players have one stock then it is decided by percentage. If both players are withing 50% of each other on the same stock, then sudden death will be quitted, and the players will set stocks to 1 and time limite to 3 minutes, and play the match with the same stage.
Each Round is best of three matches; Grand/Losers/Winners Finals are best of five matches*
entry to all these events will be a flat 5 dollars, with a similar payout system as regular singles. Only one of these events will be happening, and I will hold voting at the beginning of the day during registration for doubles and singles, the winner being the side event that is held.
Same rules apply as regular singles, however, the only legal characters are the residents of low tier which are:
Same rules apply as in regular singles, however, the only legal characters are the residents of low and mid tier, which are:
a bracket consisting of all the players who placed 33rd or worse, this side event is meant specifically to give new players a shot at playing people closer to their skill level.
This event will be seeded, for the most part, randomly, however, some changes will be made if you find you are playing a close friend first round. The rules are mostly the same as regular singles, however, some small changes may be made depending on how early or late we start the event.
Item Standard Play
Due to some interest in Item standard play, we'll be including it as a possible side event. We will use standard rules and stage list, however, each team is allowed one item ban and one stage ban. Neutral items will always be on, unless a player/team bans one of them. Counterpick items can be turned on only when a player/team loses a match. All other items are banned unless agreed on by both players/teams
(Sandbag) (Food) (Warp Star) (Bunny Hood) (Beam Sword) (Lip’s Stick) (Star Rod) (Super Scope) (Fire Flower) (Motion Sensor Bomb) (Freezie) (Smoke Ball) (Pitfall) (Mr. Saturn) (Green Shell) (Banana Peel) (Franklin Badge) (Screw Attack)
(Assist Trophy) (Dragoon) (Metal Box) (Home-Run Bat) (Hammer) (Ray Gun) (Cracker Launcher) (Gooey Bomb) (Hothead) (Spring) (Unira)