• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in the NEW tier list(updated to TL#4)

Sameyu

Smash Rookie
Link being so low in the tier list gives me more reasons to main him.

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
Is Link going up in the Brawl+ tiers? If he does, this just proves that Brawl has poisoned our minds into thinking Link is no longer a valued character.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Bottom tier will stay the same for the rest of brawl's life.
For the most part, I agree. I think there's a very slight chance that Jiggly can escape to the next tier, but I think that Link, Ganon, C. Falcon, and whatever un-important character I may have forgotten are doomed to bottom tier.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
Link has the ability to be great... I remember before the American version of brawl was ever released, I first tried Link and loved him... sure Toon Link is fun, but I like the feel of Ordon Link better. There is a lack of tournament winnings that bring him down... like many other characters (my main G&W) who just are abandoned for metaknight, diddy kong, etc. With a little more practice we can move past his recovery issues. I personally kind of see the recovery as an interesting challenge when against his opponents, but there are some techniques you can use. With a ton of practice, you can time his [up + B] spin to actually get back on the stage, although most of the time I find myself quickly pulling a bomb out, timing the spin attack, and then using the bomb to hurt myself and finish with either the hookshot or the spin attack once more. The key is developing the habit of quickly pressing [down + B] when threatened or hit far off stage (being a game and watch mainer and using the bucket canceling to slow my death constantly created the habit of quikly pulling a bomb).

I guess one of the main way I win using Link is through tech and mindgames... not so much tech even... I try not to use too many projectiles, mainly focusing on grabs and swordplay... anyone care to state an opinion about what i just said? has anyone else tried this tecnique? I'm not trying to be a know - it - all I'm just curious to see if others use my strategy... this is relevant to the topic because if recovery is what is keeping Link from moving in the tier list, that should be priority numero uno... either way if you read this far thanks and sorry for the length of this post

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
For the most part, I agree. I think there's a very slight chance that Jiggly can escape to the next tier, but I think that Link, Ganon, C. Falcon, and whatever un-important character I may have forgotten are doomed to bottom tier.
I hate to agree with that but it's normally true. Chances of characters jumping up high on the tiers is pretty far below impossible. Now if there's a new glitch in the game that gives these lowest tiers an extra jump, wavedashing abilities, etc. then that would even up the odds. But until then, I'll have to stick by with what you said.

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
I hope somebody can send link upwards on the tier... probably wont be me though... :-p
WE NEED MOAR LINK PROS!!! If you guys won't bother mastering him, then I will or humiliate myself trying. It's the only way for him to move up instead of us sulking away (not pointing at LuVr, just agreeing) I admire Deva and Legan for trying so hard to show Link's capabilities, but they need our help to expand this request.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
WE NEED MOAR LINK PROS!!! If you guys won't bother mastering him, then I will or humiliate myself trying. It's the only way for him to move up instead of us sulking away (not pointing at LuVr, just agreeing) I admire Deva and Legan for trying so hard to show Link's capabilities, but they need our help to expand this request.
Agreed, but no one here takes Link super seriously. (As in using him in tournaments and placing well) Who here besides SuSa and Deva actually go to tournaments? That's what I thought.

:/

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, but no one here takes Link super seriously. (As in using him in tournaments and placing well) Who here besides SuSa and Deva actually go to tournaments? That's what I thought.

:/
We actually I would like to try but I never seem to have enough time to practice. I barely spend enough time at home. I able to post here but that's because it takes no more than a second. I would really like to work with Link if only I had time. My play with him is above average but to reach the standards of tournaments....now that's a different story.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Legan isn't the only Link that goes to tournaments and does well. there are others that use Link as well, not a whole lot of them place in large ones, but Deva is another Link, who is probably better than Legan, who also does well. ArkiveZero (even though he quit) was probably also better than Legan and also did really well.

i agree with what you guys are saying but there are also good Links, not just Legan. us Link mains need to start what the Sonic mains did and that was to Step it up.
I play Legan once or twice every week, so I know his playstyle very well. When I played Archive Zero he was no where NEAR as good as Legan.

Legan, while playing Link, can go completely even with both my DeDeDe and my Falco. I two stocked Archive Zero's Link, in a tournament, without any effort whatsoever with my DeDeDe.

I'm not knocking Archive-- he's a really good player and ***** me by counter picking Marth / Zelda after I two stocked him... but when it comes to Link, he was not even anywhere near the same level as Legan, even when he was in his prime.

I've never played Deva, but I seriously doubt he is as good at Link as Legan-- to paraphrase Lain: if it ain't Legan, it's done son!

All of that aside, I still find it to be ridiculous that Link is rated as low as he is, and even more ridiculous that Captain Falcon is rated over Link. I still believe that Link is very under rated simply because of his recovery and learning curve.

I personally feel that the lower portions of the tier list hold some very under rated characters (Yoshi, Link, Jigglypuff) that are pretty darn good characters and don't deserve near as low of spots as they have.

For instance, I have a decent understanding of Samus from playing her often in friendlies at my weeklies, and I don't see how Samus is rated higher than Link when everything she has is worse than Link except her recovery... that is literally all she has. She can't kill AT ALL, can't stop pressure, can't rack up damage any better than Link.

Link can kill, he can rack up damage, he has decent anti pressure with bomb holding, and his recovery isn't even that big of a deal with proper spacing, DI, and precaution.

...but maybe I'm just biased because I cuddle with Legan too much. <3 Corey.

lain

Smash Master
IF IT AIN'T LEGAN IT'S DONE SON.

Seriously, that kid is insane with Link. I've never seen and don't think I'll ever see anyone better.

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
First off, I'll say Legan is really freakin good, he goes to tournaments and does his part. I'm sorry though, he's nowhere near the skill of Deva. Deva's attended and placed at much larger tournaments with players of a much higher calibur. I dont think Legan's ever even played Tyrant, DSF, Fiction, DEHF, or M2K. When Deva was playing Tyrant at TourneyPlay, Tyrant complimented him on playing Link so perfectly that he seemed tourney viable. It's not about how cool you make Link look. It's the precision you have to do what's needed to get the job done. Aside from just watching Legan play and seeing he focuses too much on getting ATs in his gameplay for the sake of it, he doesnt attend or place at tournaments as well as Deva. Based on cold hard facts, Deva's better by a pretty significant margin. Not to start a rant, cuz Legan's freakin ****, just sayin, facts show Deva's better.

Also, as far as Arkive is concerned, last Bracket I saw with him and Legan, Arkive outplaced Legan and beat him in the tourney xD. Just sayin since I noticed he was being undercredited in a recent post here.

And as far as Link and the tier list, He'll never make it past low tier if he's lucky. Anyone that's used Link competitively will tell you that, even Legan would. Characters raise on the tier list when a large number of players start placing with them at tournaments. Right now, there's Deva, Legan, and a few that counter pick Link's hard matchups like KirinBlaze and dingding. That's not enough to change the metagame or his tier placing, with one of the main issues being his recovery. Not enough Link's that even do attend tournaments know how to properly recover with Link Aside from the top 4-5. With that said, Link's recovery will always limit his tier placing unless a huge influx of Link players started attending tournaments and placing, getting past the issues with his recovery.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I agree.....any Link that can beat DSF in a money match is going to have to be number 1 for me. Legan is amazing though he just does it flashier than Deva while Deva is just a tad bit more effective.

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
I doubt that Legan won't pass Deva as the best Link. The guy plays like what? Once a month and hes that good?? Not only that but he plays Link the best way.

/meatriding

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Egh, I think Link is still better than C.F., Jiggs, and Ganon. C.F. and Jiggs do have a lot of recovery on Link, but if you D.I. correctly Link's recovery isn't as trashy.

Legan, Deva, Izaw, Kirin, Arkive, etc are all really good. Legan's technical display versus high rated players, might be the best, however to say he is more likely to win a match versus another high skilled player? I dunno. Deva got 25th in a tournament where 120 people were participating and m2k got 3rd place... And he got close to taking down Fiction. I am not saying that Deva is better than Legan, but them 2 are always going to be neck and neck when it comes to the Link play. They just shine in different areas.

And why hasn't Kirin getting more props? Kirin is pretty baller, he has put Link on the tournament rankings, and has to complete in a highly competitive area, he needs to get some props from u peeps, put that kid on the video hall of fame or something, you see those sexy bomb throws?

Anywho, the whole "whos the best Link thread" has been shot down so many times, its weird to see Panda start the whole, "without Legan Link would be the worst character" conversation, I mean thats a pretty big mistake coming from a mod IMO.

Legan

Smash Lord
Theres 2 few among us for us to really be worrying about this. Im at the point where I dont care if people think Im the best or not because it's really not that big of a deal. Ive got nothin but respect for Deva and I think this whole debate just makes for uneccessary arguments. Deva is technically the top link right now and Ill accept that, It's definately ammo for me to step my game up but it's also encouraging to know that hes out there walkin the walk.

I appreciate everyone showin support for me & the rest of the link mains, we are all doing the best we can to represent this ****ty character thats too fun to put down.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Alright, I've decided.
Link is way underrepresented.

I thought I would pick up Mario for the same reason, but they aren't in half the **** you guys are with the AiB migration.

Link is going down there in my sig. You'll see more of me.

PS: How can I find vids of Deva? To me he's like a legend... in that I have no second-hand evidence he even exists. :confused:

TP

Smash Master
The fewer Links there are, the better. Ganon's one truly unwinnable matchup, based on their history.

Flareneos43

Smash Rookie
I think link is good enough to be ganon, Jiggs, and captain falcon. Heck, he can even beat MK(even though it's his counterpick character). Link shouldn't even be a low tier because link is godly. Jiggly is good to but they both don't deserve to be in the F tier.

I learned most of my moves from Izaw(like the best Zair person ever). And what i've seen, looks awesome. Which shows you link shouldn't be low tier. (He can beat Ganon even though ganon is extra powered).

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I think link is good enough to be ganon, Jiggs, and captain falcon. Heck, he can even beat MK(even though it's his counterpick character). Link shouldn't even be a low tier because link is godly. Jiggly is good to but they both don't deserve to be in the F tier.

I learned most of my moves from Izaw(like the best Zair person ever). And what i've seen, looks awesome. Which shows you link shouldn't be low tier. (He can beat Ganon even though ganon is extra powered).
sorry, just because you watch Izaw's videos does NOT make Link higher than low tier. Link is a bad character and with the lack of Link players placing in tournaments he won't get out of low tier at all.

Just because there are players that use Link and are actually good with him doesn't mean Link isn't a bad character.

Flareneos43

Smash Rookie
I know that, I'm just saying. How is it that link is stuck in the F tier? He is good enough to be not stuck in the F tier is what I am getting at. I just watched izaw's videos to see how good he is and he is good. If people used link in tournaments more often, then link would go higher but that wont happen for a while. Even though people do know he can be a godly character.

LLLLLink

Smash Apprentice
I play every last character in F Tier, and I feel like Link is in his rightful place, sadly.

**** you, Sakurai. Give him the **** Hover Boots or something next time. And please get rid of that rediculous spin attack. He spins ONE time! The 'ballerina spin' is just screaming, "Punish me!"

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I appreciate the compliments, Metro Knight.

I still don't think I'm quite good enough to be placed among the ranks of Deva and Legan yet. I still have a long way too go. I'll keep pushing though.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's all about mah boi Lawz ^_^ He's just stuck in Bethlehem PA right now XD

:093:

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
Kirin, I think the main problem is that you cp Mario in tournament too often. If you could place the way you do goin straight Link, you would definately have a chance at being considered one of, if not, the best Link. Legan definately has the potential though personal issues get in the way, as it does with many players, so it's understandable. He's still a beast regardless. and PK-ow!, Deva does exist, I found proof =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzf9ivZw3Vo

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Kirin, I think the main problem is that you cp Mario in tournament too often. If you could place the way you do goin straight Link, you would definately have a chance at being considered one of, if not, the best Link. Legan definately has the potential though personal issues get in the way, as it does with many players, so it's understandable. He's still a beast regardless. and PK-ow!, Deva does exist, I found proof =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzf9ivZw3Vo
Well I'm not really sure if everyone understands this yet but I am a Mario Main. I consider Link to be a main since I've been using him as long as Mario but technically speaking this makes Link my secondary.

I guess Mario is my better character but I honestly love playing the two and have so much fun with both of them I can't bring myself to play purely as Mario or Link. I have been playing more Link online and stuff to learn all of his match-ups better so I can play him more in tournament, even if it hurts my chances of placing better. I just want to represent Link for the AiB Boards and you guys as much as I do Mario for my SWF Board pals.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Kirin, show off moar of your Link plz ^_^

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Sakurai has something against Link? He's been terrible in all three games now; that can't be an accident. :laugh: If he had a recovery like Toon Link he'd probably be mid tier.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I blame Arkive leaving. Our dive in the Tier List is all due to the quitting of Arkive. He ranked in tourneys with Link.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i herd arkive is makin teh comebak?

10maybes

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol, figures

Ah well. What other Links are going to Genesis? Gotta represent this underrated character.

Top Bottom