• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in the NEW tier list(updated to TL#4)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
All Link needs is a better aerial game (better jumps), faster attacks, and less lag, and he could be so much better.
Falco's recovery sucks ballz and look where he is.
Obviously Link's recovery is abysmal, but people put too much stock in it regarding his placement.
Think if Link has Tink's attack speed, jumps and recovery, but lost nothing in power, how godly would he be?

Kibb Wii

Smash Rookie
Hey, new here but we can discuss that later. The fact is that Link requires alot of skill and practice to use with deadly efficiency. Most people would just ride him off because of his bad recovery and not use him. But what they dont look at all upsides to Link. For example all of his aerials are more difficult to airdodge than other characters. This is because they either have lasting frames or hit more than once. With proper timing and pressuring with the bombs they can lead to some dangerous combos...

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Hey, new here but we can discuss that later. The fact is that Link requires alot of skill and practice to use with deadly efficiency. Most people would just ride him off because of his bad recovery and not use him. But what they dont look at all upsides to Link. For example all of his aerials are more difficult to airdodge than other characters. This is because they either have lasting frames or hit more than once. With proper timing and pressuring with the bombs they can lead to some dangerous combos...
Thissss. Welcome to the boards! Link has doesn't have a learning curve, he has a learning CIRCLE! You have to really dedicated to such a bad character to main him. That's why 60% of Link mains are fan boys =)

Kibb Wii

Smash Rookie
Thissss. Welcome to the boards! Link has doesn't have a learning curve, he has a learning CIRCLE! You have to really dedicated to such a bad character to main him. That's why 60% of Link mains are fan boys =)
thanks man. you are pretty right about the 60% thing. its just that people never seem to appreciate the good aspects of him. all of his smash attacks hit more than once and arent exceedingly slow, giving them a decent chance to connect(more so than Falcon). also, if both hits connect his forward smash is the most DAMAGING one in the game(d3 like 33%, link like 44%). Get that at the beginning of the match coupled with a few combos and your a good deal on your way to victory.

Link is too high IMO You should make a tier list with Ray_kalm/shintwist_screampaste tier where link and ganondorf is. That is placed at the bottom after you have gone through A-Z tier third worst character should still be in F tier.

Vyrulint24

Smash Rookie
I actually dont give a **** if he is this low on the tier. ive mained him or 2nd mained him since ssb64. hes a beast
his Pros and Cons r realativly equal, his Projectile game is good. hes ground speed is allmost nothing to me because he does have a big bag of random **** to toss or shoot at you. he is prolly one of the most indepth characters in Brawl simply because of his projectiles. Not only that but hey keep putting him down on the list more so when i beat u with the lowest tier character i can smile a bit bigger hold my head high and say i accomplished something. and yeh blu link your right. ive been a zelda fan since the very first one! LinkMain=FanBoys and FanBoys r Ftmtw

RoboticSithDrone

Smash Apprentice
If MK had Link's learning curve, he wouldn't be the top character on the tier list. I definitely think Link has the potential to rise, especially since he has three distinct projectiles (4 with the zair) that already have a bunch of crazy **** you can do with them. Link and Toon are probably in the best position to break Brawl's physics engine further, honestly.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
That's why 60% of Link mains are fan boys =)
Hah! I know right! However, I think it's more like 70% or 80% are fan boys. Another 10% are scrubs playing the SSE who think he's godly. :urg:

He should be above CF.
I agree here. I just picked up Link last night after going through the SSE again to get the trophies and stickers (down to like 10 for each!!!). Since you have to play Link quite a bit in the SSE I actually started to acquire a taste for him (oddly since my previous mains were Pit, Peach, and Luigi). His projectile game is exceptional; don't down it. If you can fight defense and have every one in two hits you inflict be a projectile, it will greatly lessen your chances of being punished; actually it completly eliminates the chance of receiving damage. Link mains need to learn spacing; Link has a big sword take advantage of that! His ftilt comes out moderately fast, and it covers decent area in front and partially above him. Utilts can be "combo'ed" at low percents to end the combo with a Usmash. He has an excellent Zair; you can Zair whilst holding a bomb for mindgames! His grapple move has good range (just use w/ extreme caution). But, I'm not going to talk about his recovery; we've read enough about it.

But, seriously, couldn't Sakurai have just given Link Marth's second jump height? They have very similar animations; did Sakurai purposely give him a crappy recovery?

I do agree that he belongs higher than CF. Between three projectiles (one has wind properties that can setup combos, gimps, and kills; one that travels exceptionally fast and can be charged and held forever; one that can be held, has explosive properties, and can be Boost Tossed), the fact that Link as a hearty-lengthed disjointed hitbox (sword), a long Zair, and long grab-box (though rather risky), Link has an advantage. CF does, however, have the speed on his side along with some deadly kill moves (Neutral B, Side smash, Fair, Dair) that can cause problems.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Link is too weak for being so slow. He should be a faster character. But his worst thing is he hasn't any stat that helps recovery and spin attack is horrible both horizontally and vertically.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I play every last character in F Tier, and I feel like Link is in his rightful place, sadly.

**** you, Sakurai. Give him the **** Hover Boots or something next time. And please get rid of that rediculous spin attack. He spins ONE time! The 'ballerina spin' is just screaming, "Punish me!"
:laugh::laugh: Do you think we could refer to Link's up B as Ballerina Spin from now on? Brilliant.

On a more serious note, how the ****ing hell is Link below ****ing Captain Falcon?! Now, I know Link is bad, what with his pathetic excuse for a recovery, but Link is far better than Captain Falcon any day of the week. Link can camp and has some sort of approach; Falcon doesn't. Link actually has a couple of matchups where he has an advantage; Falcon doesn't. Link does semi-decent against one or two top tiers; Falcon doesn't. Link outclasses him in priority and range. The only thing Falcon does better is recovery, and even then Falcon's recovery is pretty poor.

Put Link above Captain Falcon, and I'm satsified. (I don't think he's quite good enough to surpass Jigglypuff just yet).

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack
Link main fur life :laugh:

But seriously, we do need to step it up. No excuses!

T

Teancum

I'm sure this has been answered 100 times already, but why exactly is he considered so bad? He has tons of good moves/projectiles.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I'm sure this has been answered 100 times already, but why exactly is he considered so bad? He has tons of good moves/projectiles.
1. Terrible recovery
2. slow/laggy moves
3. he can be juggled easily due to the fact he is one of the fastest fallers
4. Any way that helped Link recover in melee is gone, meaning no more hitting yourself with the bomb, and his tether can only hook onto the ledge.

So basically his recovery is poor, he is easily juggled, and has slow and laggy moves.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
Even though his recovery is really terrible, and his moves are quite laggy. You can use the fast falling to your advantage in some cases on the stage. I've only recently started using Link, and I can already see a lot of potential I'm considering using him a lot more.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Even though his recovery is really terrible, and his moves are quite laggy. You can use the fast falling to your advantage in some cases on the stage. I've only recently started using Link, and I can already see a lot of potential I'm considering using him a lot more.
If Link was floaty, he could easily make it back to the stage, and that would take away one of his biggest weaknesses. Fastfalling is not an advantage in any sense of the word.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes find it useful, when you Zair and fall fast enough to combo with a ftilt to SH Zair etc. Seriously sometimes it can be used as an advantage.

Ashraf23

Smash Apprentice
WHat do you think?
Link and g-dorf at the bottom? G-dorf is some trash (lol) but I think Link could potentially find his way a bit higher up the list. The only thing holding him down is his recovery (which is huge, I know). But he actually isn't to bad on-stage. Coming from a TL main the matches with Link are pretty close and even on the stage, not the same deal off though lol. And even though his projectiles are not top tier either they can still be put to good use. Plus his Zair is amazing.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Link and g-dorf at the bottom? G-dorf is some trash (lol) but I think Link could potentially find his way a bit higher up the list. The only thing holding him down is his recovery (which is huge, I know). But he actually isn't to bad on-stage. Coming from a TL main the matches with Link are pretty close and even on the stage, not the same deal off though lol. And even though his projectiles are not top tier either they can still be put to good use. Plus his Zair is amazing.
His zair is decent, his KO moves are decent, all of his ATs are mediocre, his spamming game is mediocre, his zoning game is bad, his recovery is bad, his mindgames are decent, his close-combat game is mediocre, his combo game is bad (double-dsmash and bombstoollocking are counted as ATs here, for example).
I love Link, but I seriously got to admit, low-tier characters have better characteristics than him. Link and TL are in great positions to break their own metagames... but after finding 250 ATs each, I think we're kind of running out of hope here. :laugh:
Its really a combination of a couple big issues and many many tiny issues that really add up all together to make Link's life miserable. Some of it isn't even his fault (like half the top tier characters having CGs of sorts on him).

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I find myself agreeing more and more with the Sonic mains. We need to Step it up.

We've found tons of flashy stuff, we've found tons of useless and useful stuff. But now it's time we figure out when, where, and how we should be using all these in the big picture. Not just in one circumstance but overall.

Also, freakin' get me to some large tournies and you guys KNOW I'll do some reppin'. *living in middle-of-nowhere johns*

Edit: Oh, and, he's freakin' Link. (seriously, Nintendo would be SCREWED if Link didn't exist.)

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I don't believe anything Link has can be considered useless. With a character as bad as him it's important we use everything he had to help him out. I've been practicing very small, seemingly useless thing and trying to impliment it into my game to make my Link that much better. I believe we should all be doing this.

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Sakurai has something against Link? He's been terrible in all three games now; that can't be an accident. :laugh: If he had a recovery like Toon Link he'd probably be mid tier.
I disagree man, Link was actually very much so viable in melee, throughout the characters history taken down high level top tiers.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I don't believe anything Link has can be considered useless. With a character as bad as him it's important we use everything he had to help him out. I've been practicing very small, seemingly useless thing and trying to impliment it into my game to make my Link that much better. I believe we should all be doing this.
I like, and for the most part, agree with your philosophy.

However, dtilt spikebox. :Þ

Top Bottom