• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in the NEW tier list(updated to TL#4)

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Link is the awesome... I bet he will trade with T. Link next tier. I am only saying this in the hopes that my prayers will be answered. I know he'll get there one day... one day...

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Link is the awesome... I bet he will trade with T. Link next tier. I am only saying this in the hopes that my prayers will be answered. I know he'll get there one day... one day...
Maybe in SSB4, considering Sakurai (who obviously holds a deep burning passion of random hatred for Link) won't be the one making it. :ohwell:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Why does he always make Link low tier in every game?!

I swear Link is the Dan of this series.
Yeah I know how you feel. Link is one of Nintendo's biggest stars and he sucks in every fighting game he's in :ohwell:

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Why does he always make Link low tier in every game?!

I swear Link is the Dan of this series.
Because he secretly wants Kirby to be the new second best Nintendo franchise. =x

Edit: Thinking about it, it all makes sense now.

I mean, all 3 of his games characters are good, and he quite obviously designed Pit to be a better Link in every possible way, and he hardly gave Link any credit in any of the info about him: "Oh, hes just some guy, from hyrule, yadda yadda yadda"

And lastly, he barely made Link do anything in the SSE other than allowing him to be introduced and sneak in a small little fanservice bout with Mario just so he could make it look like he actually cared about Link. Even the beginning fight was Mario and Kirby instead of Link, even though Peach and ZELDA were there.

The best thing Link got out of SSBB was being the closest-up character on the box art. Sakurai is out to DESTROY Link and replace him with Kirby. Or Pit as a last resort.

/endconspriracyrant

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Link shouldn't be 2nd last, his representation is pretty good if you look at the Rankings Thread,

D: Link, Pit, Ike, Luigi, Zelda/Sheik, Pokémon Trainer, Peach, Wolf
E: Lucas, Yoshi, Bowser, Fox, Samus, Ganondorf, Mario, Ness, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon

Imo he should rise a few spots

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Link's entire placing is based on one person's win in the rankings thread...

Link should stay right where he is.
He should stay bottom tier, but he might be better than CF. Whether he is or not, its close enough to debate about, at least.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Falcon is better than Link, but Link is better than Ganon. IMO, G tier is how it should be now.

Link has better range, three very good projectiles, amazing spacing tools, insane mindgames and advanced techniques, easy jab lock setups and a great edgeguarding game.

What does Falcon have? Nipples.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nipples > three very good projectiles, amazing spacing tools, insane mindgames and advanced techniques, easy jab lock setups and a great edgeguarding game. :p

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I think Link needs way more uber good experienced players representing him. But it's hard for Link to have many good players since he has such a high learning curve. I believe he has one of the hardest if not the hardest.

In an old outdated Japanese tier list, he's got a good placing. The Japanese Link's I've seen are just amazing, I'm always amazed at how all the greats play, especially when you look at a pro on YouTube and it's like dated a year ago. It's just so amazing for it's time.

SS:
Metaknight, Snake

S:
Falco, Pit

A:
Diddy, King Dedede, Marth, Fox, Mr. Game and Watch
Wario, Captain Olimar, Wolf, R.O.B, Lucario
B:
Zelda + Sheik, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Donkey Kong

C:
Peach, Kirby, Mario, Luigi, Ike

D:
Lucas, Bowser

E:
Link, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Jigglpuff

F:
Ness, Yoshi, Samus, Captain Falcon

G:
Ganondorf

Personally I think he should be around there.

Also, Xyro77 you have an amazing Samus, I envy how you can play so well with Samus. I find it so hard to use Samus. Samus and Link for highest learning curves!

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I think Link needs way more uber good experienced players representing him. But it's hard for Link to have many good players since he has such a high learning curve. I believe he has one of the hardest if not the hardest.

In an old outdated Japanese tier list, he's got a good placing. The Japanese Link's I've seen are just amazing, I'm always amazed at how all the greats play, especially when you look at a pro on YouTube and it's like dated a year ago. It's just so amazing for it's time.

SS:
Metaknight, Snake

S:
Falco, Pit

A:
Diddy, King Dedede, Marth, Fox, Mr. Game and Watch
Wario, Captain Olimar, Wolf, R.O.B, Lucario
B:
Zelda + Sheik, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Donkey Kong

C:
Peach, Kirby, Mario, Luigi, Ike

D:
Lucas, Bowser

E:
Link, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Jigglpuff

F:
Ness, Yoshi, Samus, Captain Falcon

G:
Ganondorf

Personally I think he should be around there.

Also, Xyro77 you have an amazing Samus, I envy how you can play so well with Samus. I find it so hard to use Samus. Samus and Link for highest learning curves!
I would've put Link above Jiggz.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think that's a bit high.

Well then again I think Link should be just above Captain Falcon until I learn enough about Jigglypuff.

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Meh, screw tiers. I honestly don't care what everybody thinks about Link; I'm still going to keep practicing and getting better as him.

In my opinion, playing as a character in a really low tier makes victory seem just that much sweeter>:D

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Meh, screw tiers. I honestly don't care what everybody thinks about Link; I'm still going to keep practicing and getting better as him.

In my opinion, playing as a character in a really low tier makes victory seem just that much sweeter>:D
I like your enthusiasm and I totally agree with you! Keep playing Link no matter what!

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Id say just above Falcon tbh, maybe jiggz but i dono, jiggz has problems with dying so early but then again so does Link cuz of the silly recovery.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Where Link should be in the next Tier List

This is from Ankoku's thread, it ranks characters from their tourney placings. (last update February 16, 2010)

S: :metaknight:
A: :snake: :diddy:
B: :marth: :falco: :wario: :popo:
C: :dedede: :olimar: :lucario: :toonlink: :gw:
D: :zerosuitsamus: :kirby2: :rob: :dk2: :pikachu2: :peach: :wolf: :pit:
E: :fox: :luigi2: :sonic: :ness2: :ike: :zelda: :shiek: :link2: :pt: :yoshi2: :mario2:
F: :ganondorf: :bowser2: :lucas: :samus2: :falcon: :jigglypuff:

Here's a matchup chart of all the characters (last update 11/Feb/10):

Now when you add up all the matchup ratios and rank them you get something like this:

Based off tournament results and the total average matchups we can say that:

Link > Ganon

• [*]Link has a very high total average in the matchup tier list compared to Ganon (Ganon at 19,57; Link 36,65)
    [*]Link placing 4 spots higher than Ganon in tournaments.
I'm actually really surprised at how well he's been doing though in recently. Go Ganon! :bee:

Link > Falcon

• [*]Link has a much higher total average in the matchup tier list (Link 36,65;Falcon: 28,75)
    [*]Link places 8 spots above Falcon in recent tourney results

Link > Jigglypuff

• [*]Jigglypuff has a very slightly total higher matchup average compared to Link (Jiggs: 36,93; Link 36,65)
    [*]But it's her very poor tourney results (last place) compared to Link being 9 spots above her put's Link above Jigglypuff in the tier list.
Link > Samus
  • [*]Link has a higher total matchup average compared to Samus (Link: 36,35; Samus: 33,43)
    [*]Link places 7 spots higher than Samus in recent tourney results.
So with these supporting facts, Link is better than Samus, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf.

Now even though I'm using facts to support my opinions, you have to take into consideration that the matchup chart is nowhere near finished. Characters like Jigglypuff still need to finish over half of the roster in matchups. Note that Yoshi doesn't even have matchups. Also Tournament results vary alot from time to time.

Source:
Ankoku's Character Ranking List: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4387892#post4387892
Rajam's Match-up Chart & List: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226315

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
bascially once you play scabe, you become convinced that link is the best character in the game, no logic needed lol.

drzillman

Smash Rookie
It just makes me sad :(

these tiers are based on members and how the characters fight among real people using them... so if a super good link player can raise him up the tier correct...

thats my new goal... :) lets get link hier in this crazy list...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Unless you revolutionize his metagame, that's not happening.

/killjoy

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think of it as being a realist.

Unless Link pulls a Diddy, he's not going up multiple tiers, or people realize he isn't as sucky as people say he is like people did with Sonic.

drzillman

Smash Rookie
:( meanieheads... your gonna hurt links feelings... then he wont fight for you lol

it may be a lofty goal but i love link too much to let him go... and i hate it when hes got a bad rep...

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Ike fights for his friends, not Link. Wrong character my friend. <.<

Link just says SCRAAAAAW

Actually that would be OoT Link.
Flip, there's nothing good for TP Link.
Texas is a great place to play though, do work Zilla Monster.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
New tier list is out.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266820

S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Ice Climbers, Marth, Wario
B: King Dedede, Pikachu, Olimar, Lucario, Mr. Game & Watch,
C: Pit, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, R.O.B.
D: Donkey Kong, Peach, Fox, Luigi, Wolf
E: Sheik, Pokémon Trainer, Sonic, Ness, Bowser
F: Lucas, Ike, Yoshi, Mario, Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff
G: Zelda, Link, Ganondorf

LOL HYRULE TIER FTW

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
HYPE TRAIN GO GO GO!

That's all this tier list is.
If Diddy was above Snake I would have agreed it was.

For the most part they missed some key characters that I felt were too low.

Either way this shouldn't discourage anyone, a tier list is just a tier list.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I think moving up two spots to number three on the tier list is quite some hype Ryu. :p

CF is just being bouyed by Ally right now, I fully expect him to drop like a rock again once Ally comes to his senses.

I agree with Scabe (mostly), Jiggz, Zelda, and CF should all be below Link. He should be somewhere near Samus.

Top Bottom