• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in the NEW tier list(updated to TL#4)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Tier List Version Four

S :metaknight:

HIGH
A :snake: :diddy: :falco: :popo: :marth: :warioc:
B :dedede: :pikachu2: :olimar: :lucario: :gw:

Middle
C :pit: :toonlink: :zerosuitsamus: :kirby2: :rob:
D :dk2: :peach: :fox: :luigi2: :wolf:
E :shiek: :pt: :sonic: :ness2: :bowser2:

Low
F :lucas: :ike: :yoshi2: :mario2: :falcon: :samus2: :jigglypuff:
G :zelda: :link2: :ganondorf:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
He should move higher, in my opinon. I second main him, and I'm pretty sure that he has some untapped potential.

He could force momentum with his projectiles (bomb in his hand), and lead into tons of different things, like jab locks, KO moves, and such.

He's too low.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
How"s It Feel Legan???????? You Have Done Nothing But Break Master Swords!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Don't think about trying to pass Jigglypuff ever again.

Jiggs is too good for you. And apparently Falcon which I don't agree with.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
His recovery is still too horrid-bad.

He's where he should be IMO.
This.

Link ether has to greatly make up for having the worst recovery in the game, or find some way to live longer. Otherwise he's stuck in bottom/low tier.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
the only reason Link is below Jigglypuff is because of his recovery.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Link should be above falcon but probably lower than jiggs but that's it.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I agree with the placing, Link's onstage game places him around mid-low tier but it's his recovery that keeps him in bottom tier and the fact that so many characters can easily chain grab and rack damage on him.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Link is not intimidating.
His recovery is piss poor.
His projectile game is decent, but not top tier projectiles like Falco's pew pew.
Bombs are good but not amazing.
Falcon is a man.
You are the perfect spot now, Ganon is just plain worse than you.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Link is not intimidating.
His recovery is piss poor.
His projectile game is decent, but not top tier projectiles like Falco's pew pew.
Bombs are good but not amazing.
Falcon is a man.
You are the perfect spot now, Ganon is just plain worse than you.

so......from what i've seen you say, you haven't posted anything that supports your argument at all.

His projectile game may not be as good as Falco's or others but they help Link in his Match Ups WHICH BY THE WAY ARE BETTER THAN FALCON'S MATCH UPS.

Link's bombs are a major part of Link's game and like i said before help Link do better in his Match Ups.

Falcon being a man has nothing to do with it.

everybody knows Link has a terrible recovery so thanks for restating old stuff.

All the things that you said were known at the last tier list and that was when falcon was below him. so all the things that you stated were already known even when falcon was still lower than Link.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Link is where he should be. Not because he's "bad" (which he's not, really), but I think he doesn't have enough representation at tournaments, mostly.

Yes, his recovery is subpar blah blah blah. But he's more versatile than people give him credit for. He can do a lot of what Toon Link can as far as creating a wall of projectiles for the opponent to sift through, and his CQC is above average (as far as I can tell from my month old Link, anyway), in terms of speed; I'm thinking grounded Spin Attack, up tilt, and jab for starters.

Link reminds me of Sonic in that he might look bad on paper, but enough tournament results can definitely even the scales. Only thing is that Sonic has no death matchups; I don't know yet if Link does. Regardless, I know Link can do better. I'm gonna have to try to step him up as a strong secondary for myself, looks like...

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Legan is the only reason that Link isn't bottom right now.
Legan isn't the only Link that goes to tournaments and does well. there are others that use Link as well, not a whole lot of them place in large ones, but Deva is another Link, who is probably better than Legan, who also does well. ArkiveZero (even though he quit) was probably also better than Legan and also did really well.

i agree with what you guys are saying but there are also good Links, not just Legan. us Link mains need to start what the Sonic mains did and that was to Step it up.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's also hurt by the lack of representation here.
No. Board activity =/= tier list placement.

Anyway, I think he's where he ought to be for now. I can't really see him falling anymore, and he might rise 1 or 2 spots in the future if his tournament performance is indeed stepped up.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
In a game where most characters can live to a very high percentage, a character with a bad recovery and who gets easily gimped deserves a bad spot on the tier list. Second worst sounds about right to me.

Legan

Smash Lord
Legan isn't the only Link that goes to tournaments and does well. there are others that use Link as well, not a whole lot of them place in large ones, but Deva is another Link, who is probably better than Legan, who also does well. ArkiveZero (even though he quit) was probably also better than Legan and also did really well.

i agree with what you guys are saying but there are also good Links, not just Legan. us Link mains need to start what the Sonic mains did and that was to Step it up.
Arkive and Deva better than me? Im the one who taught Arkive how to use link and hed tell you himself he was a good bit behind me even in his prime. Deva is my boy and hes a great link but I highly doubt hes better than me. Not being cocky but I gotta be honest.

There are other good links out there though and I most definately havent repped link on my own, SP's just seen a ton of links true potential through me and hes seen and played links from coast to coast.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I know Lawz and I will be doing out part for representing Link on the EC. Even though I know Link is a terrible character I can't help but feel a bit disappointed at his current ranking. I'm now more determined and excited then ever before to play him in tournament.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Arkive and Deva better than me? Im the one who taught Arkive how to use link and hed tell you himself he was a good bit behind me even in his prime. Deva is my boy and hes a great link but I highly doubt hes better than me. Not being cocky but I gotta be honest.

There are other good links out there though and I most definately havent repped link on my own, SP's just seen a ton of links true potential through me and hes seen and played links from coast to coast.
well the point of my post wasn't exactly to say who was better than who but my point was that there are other Links besides just you.

us Links (except a few :ohwell:) need to step it up.

Legan

Smash Lord
I think were doin pretty well (Seeing as we have such poor representation). We all definately need to step it up a bit even though it's extremely hard to work with our character, I think with alot more motivation well see link move up to at least top of bottom tier. But so far so good.

I know you & Kirin are doin your part though.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Blasted recovery is the only thing keeping him on the bottom. Bomb jumps fix a good amount of that. *requests better recovery, lighter falling, and maybe a CG in SSB4* Don't worry link, you still have loyal fans T-T

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I agree with the fact that Link should be higher, he's a better character than Falcon, that's for sure, he deserves to be above him and even Jiggz, but I also like to see Falcon higher than Link, for the sake of not being bottom. Anyways, Link will rise in the future, his game is pretty deep and will imo grow even more.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I love how people forget how amazing Link's MC (momentum cancel) is. Along with proper DI and momentum canceling, Link can live to crazy percents. Sure that's up to the player to be able to have these skills, but really. All he has to do is DI properly, and Bair. He's also a heavy character. At top play, Links can live to high percents unless the obvious happens...getting gimped, but that's been covered already.

Link is also beastly at racking up damage and killing. He has plenty of kill moves (his dair is just broken) and Falcon HAS TO RELY ON GIMPS/EDGEGUARDS FOR KILLS. Really, what's he going to kill with? Knee is terribad (i know they happen, but let's be realistic. It's not as guaranteed as say Link's JabJab>Dsmash or just Dsmash in general) Falcon Punch is a joke, and his best kill moves are Fsmash and Dsmash, which both have hefty start up and ending lag.

Link's projectile game and onstage game alone make him better then Falcon...

:093:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I could see Link rising in the future if he gets better.

He has a good projectile game going for him and can kill well. Now if only you guys can do something about that recovery, Link can get somewhere.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I could see Link rising in the future if he gets better.

He has a good projectile game going for him and can kill well. Now if only you guys can do something about that recovery, Link can get somewhere.
Completely off topic, Eternal Champions is the best fighting game in history

ndayday

BRoomer
I had no idea where you pulled that out of until I saw Terrorist's sig.

Anyway, he should definitely be a bit higher then Falcon, but I can't see him passing Jiggly at the moment. The highest I can see him is the top of F tier or bottom of E tier. =/

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The fact Link has the option of camping and Falcon always has to approach to do anything makes Link that much better then Falcon.

._.
QFT

This most importantly.

:093:

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Blasted recovery is the only thing keeping him on the bottom. Bomb jumps fix a good amount of that. *requests better recovery, lighter falling, and maybe a CG in SSB4* Don't worry link, you still have loyal fans T-T
DI and Momentum Cancel will save you WAY more than the bomb jump. it does not happen often at all.

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
I don't exactly agree with tiers list but COME ON! Link isn't this bad, placing him this low on the the tier list is just cruel & usual punishment. I can agree with most of you that Link has a putrid recovery, but it's not enough to put him so low. Besides, he doesn't really have the worst recovery in my opinion (e.g. Olimar). What people are forgetting is that Link's game is all defense: projectiles, arrow-cancel, Zair, etc.

What I'm really shocked about is how many of you are dismissing how recovery is why Link is lowest tier. *corny dramatic speech* I still show Link how much I support him no matter how bad they nerf him. I believe in you T_T

O_O sorry I tend to run my mouth off once in a while.

ndayday

BRoomer
Link isn't this bad, placing him this low on the the tier list is just cruel & usual punishment.
Why yes, it is cruel and usual punishment. :)

His recovery isn't the absolute reason why he's so low, but it is a pretty major issue. Look at all the higher tiers--they have great to decent recoveries that aren't super easy to gimp (think Diddy, D3, MK, G&W, Wario...) unlike Link, whose up-b recovery is absolute trash. Although he does have DI and MC, this isn't really enough for him in that department. I'm not saying that recovery = tier list placement, but it can be important.

slaite

Smash Rookie
don't understand why you are so mad about it, i think its nice he is so low tier, when every i kill somebody i can say "**** i'm pro ^^" and when ever i die i can just say "well i just died because my character isn't as good as yours ^^" either way i win ^^

ndayday

BRoomer
Oh, so you have a lame john for every situation. :D

The only somewhat good thing about a low tier placing is that people don't care about the character and that can lead to not knowing the matchup, which can give you a slight advantage in a match. Maybe not a set, but you can at least potentially get a one match advantage.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Should I care?

I'm going to **** snake just as hard......and now I'm going to laugh even harder when I win.

Top Bottom