• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legan vs Overswarm(MK) Tourney Match

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Was his percent crazy high? I do these all the time; only time I can't reach them is when I'm stubborn and wanna walk them even in really high percents when I can go for a kill. Do you remember his percent , Deva?

Legan

Smash Lord
Even with perfect smash DI you can still keep it going, the timing is just way more strict and you will have to take much larger steps. I personally find walking way easier than pivoting boosting (even though it looks way cooler). If they're in the higher percents than you should definitely just finish them off because it becomes much easier to smash DI but at lower % all you have to lookout for is them DI'ing behind you.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
In a really old and outdated game, Smasher jab locks ROB. These players are competitive, especially smasher who's link in melee rivaled aniki's. Also, probably in other vids, he walks relatively long distances to initiate the jab lock. This can be tricky to do cause you don't want to be in your dash when you jab. anyway, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb4jWvXInGM&feature=related

Deva

Smash Lord
if you get the jab lock off at really low %s you can get a few off, but from mid%s on and if they really are using perfect smash DI, you cant continue the lock more than 2 to maybe 3 jabs depending on how far away you start it from.

D

Deleted member

Legan: Arkive how you doing?
Me: I'm FREAKIN' out man!!

you can all call me solid snake

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Good stuff Legan......interesting matches to say the least.

One question though....is there a specific reason why you don't space with the single version of fsmash or is it just personal preference?

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
That bomb might have killed MK when he did his up throw on that last match if you only would have held on to it.

Out of curiosity why the Delfino CP?

Deva

Smash Lord
First off, great matches. For not much experience as you say, you know the matchup pretty darn well, along with some pretty crazy momentum cancels on the first match. You werent even using bair lol, pretty insane. I gotta say, OS definately has the campiest MK I've ever seen lol. Also, I know you probably wont admit it, but I for one noticed a great reduction in tech skill. Coincidence? =P

3 tips:

1. I'm sorry, it's probably my fault Norfair is banned xD. It's ok, I've gotten used to it being banned by nearly everyone I play in tournament. For this situation, CP Halberd. It's the next best thing and in some cases even better than Norfair. I'd personally use this stage rather than Norfair against G&W and Marth for example. This stage makes it really easy to space with zair due to the indent in the middle, some parts of the stage have a lot of moving room so it's like FD with a nice lttle patform in the middle for maneuverability, and the platform is low enough to the ground so that bombs will still hit them from above.

2. Reatreating airdodge to zair helps A LOT in this matchup. Just retreating airdodge will keep you safe from most of MK's approaches since if he does apprach you can zair as you land, and if he's too far away still you can jab out of the airdodge or even the zair depending on the situation. OS didnt seem like he had a whole lot of experience in the matchup, sorta like DSF when I played him. But when an MK does learn the matchup the tend to freakin up b outa everything you do xD. There's an MK I've been playing recently that plays extremely campy and just dashes foreward in shield. If I do anything as he approaches, he just up-bs through it, and if I stay in shield or try to grab, he grabs me first xD. Just play campier than him and it tends to work out. You have projectiles after all xD. and bombsliding and reverse bombsliding work surprisingly well in this matchup. . . .yes. . . .I'm suggesting ATs >_>

3. For dealing with B moves. When your at relatively low %s and MK is at high %s, dont be afraid to dair out of his up-b. And when he gets you relatively high in the air, even if he cant get an up b off right away for a combo, dair anyways. It scares them a bit from up-bing you out of some combos, since more often than not, you can. There's only a few %s where they can get the combo off before you can dair, in wich case you should just air dodge. Against tornado, if he catches you when you've just pulled a bomb and you dont have time to throw it, invincibombing works great, and you can sometimes combo them out of it with a dash attack. Another trick is to run away and bair near the end of the move.

Other than that, great games. Glad to see your making more of an effort to attend tournaments.

So, what's the deal with Arkive and the cops =P.

**** man, harsh with OS buyng practice, it woulda been awesome to see "Legan knocks out OS" seeing as OS mains MK now. You're not allowed to be so good without owning a wii. it's against the law or something.

sasook

Smash Champion
Good matches Legan. That is one campy MK, jeez.

First off, great matches. For not much experience as you say, you know the matchup pretty darn well, along with some pretty crazy momentum cancels on the first match. You werent even using bair lol, pretty insane. I gotta say, OS definately has the campiest MK I've ever seen lol. Also, I know you probably wont admit it, but I for one noticed a great reduction in tech skill. Coincidence? =P

3 tips:

1. I'm sorry, it's probably my fault Norfair is banned xD. It's ok, I've gotten used to it being banned by nearly everyone I play in tournament. For this situation, CP Halberd. It's the next best thing and in some cases even better than Norfair. I'd personally use this stage rather than Norfair against G&W and Marth for example. This stage makes it really easy to space with zair due to the indent in the middle, some parts of the stage have a lot of moving room so it's like FD with a nice lttle patform in the middle for maneuverability, and the platform is low enough to the ground so that bombs will still hit them from above.

2. Reatreating airdodge to zair helps A LOT in this matchup. Just retreating airdodge will keep you safe from most of MK's approaches since if he does apprach you can zair as you land, and if he's too far away still you can jab out of the airdodge or even the zair depending on the situation. OS didnt seem like he had a whole lot of experience in the matchup, sorta like DSF when I played him. But when an MK does learn the matchup the tend to freakin up b outa everything you do xD. There's an MK I've been playing recently that plays extremely campy and just dashes foreward in shield. If I do anything as he approaches, he just up-bs through it, and if I stay in shield or try to grab, he grabs me first xD. Just play campier than him and it tends to work out. You have projectiles after all xD. and bombsliding and reverse bombsliding work surprisingly well in this matchup. . . .yes. . . .I'm suggesting ATs >_>

3. For dealing with B moves. When your at relatively low %s and MK is at high %s, dont be afraid to dair out of his up-b. And when he gets you relatively high in the air, even if he cant get an up b off right away for a combo, dair anyways. It scares them a bit from up-bing you out of some combos, since more often than not, you can. There's only a few %s where they can get the combo off before you can dair, in wich case you should just air dodge. Against tornado, if he catches you when you've just pulled a bomb and you dont have time to throw it, invincibombing works great, and you can sometimes combo them out of it with a dash attack. Another trick is to run away and bair near the end of the move.

Other than that, great games. Glad to see your making more of an effort to attend tournaments.

Someone sticky this post.

Also, I know you probably wont admit it, but I for one noticed a great reduction in tech skill. Coincidence? =P
I noticed it too xD.

You have projectiles after all xD. and bombsliding and reverse bombsliding work surprisingly well in this matchup. . . .yes. . . .I'm suggesting ATs >_>
OMG Deva just made my day. <3 Deva

^this

Hue

Smash Cadet
Haha, people have been slowly starting to like reversed bombsliding <3

Great matches Legan, as always it's fun to watch you play Link.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Keep it up Legan, I think Deva more or less covered everything though.

@Kirk: lol got that right. =P

My last note... AHAH! Reverse Bombsliding. So I was right to think it was made of win when I saw Sasook using it! ... now to stop sucking at it myself... <_<

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
gj, too bad Overswarm and to start playing MK to prove a point, I'd much rather lose to a ROB player. However, I think you did much better versus his MK... MK is probably an easier match up than ROB for Link.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
gj, too bad Overswarm and to start playing MK to prove a point, I'd much rather lose to a ROB player. However, I think you did much better versus his MK... MK is probably an easier match up than ROB for Link.

i think overswarm went a little too far. but yeah i'd say ROB is a more difficult matchup for Link

Legan

Smash Lord
Ahhh where do I start D:

Good stuff Legan......interesting matches to say the least.

One question though....is there a specific reason why you don't space with the single version of fsmash or is it just personal preference?
Thanks, I like to space with the first hit of the fsmash but it's no good for spacing against a character like MK, if I whiff the first one than I might as well let the other one go because Ill get punished either way.

That bomb might have killed MK when he did his up throw on that last match if you only would have held on to it.

Out of curiosity why the Delfino CP?
Well Like I said, I had beaten him in a money match the previous day on Norfair and believe it or not Distant Planet. After those matches he had a full understanding on what to do and what not to do so I never thought of a good cp if norfair got banned. I was asking Arkive and he didnt really know either lol. I wish I had Deva's number at the time.

3 tips:

1. Cool, I was gunna pm you about where else to go and that pretty much summed up everything I needed to know.

2.Dude I dont know what makes you think OS doesnt know the matchup but he basically had it down to a science. He told me hes made over 75$ in MM from Link players alone and Im the only one to ever beat him. When It came tourney time he knew of all my strengths and weakness and used that knowledge to punish me hard. He was also power shielding my retreating zairs and jabs into Up B's. Hes way too smart to UpB into a Dair and MK can freaking fly so using his good control of MK he can just fly over and around my projectile spam and glide attack me, which out prioritizes everything.

3.Alot of the time he wont even go for a combo at all, hell just stand there. I did notice a few times when I mayb could have caught him off guard but hes so careful most of the time its hard to tell whether its a good idea or not. I do dair more against more aggressive MK's though.

4.Ill type out the story with the cops later

Awesome Advice none the less and thanks for the support

Oh, and as far as the tech skill goes, It was definately still there and I used almost all of the AT'sthroughout the tourney but Even I know when to tone down with the flash. The AT's I use is much more dependent on the characters I face rather than the opponent.

i think overswarm went a little too far. but yeah i'd say ROB is a more difficult matchup for Link
A good MK is much harder than a good ROB.

Legan

Smash Lord
So I guess Legan's not picking up bombsliding....
Id Like to pick up bombsliding sasook but Im just not that good with it lol. I really dont know how you pull it off so well but I cant get the reverse timing down at all. I havent been able to really practice it either. Next time I play ill be sure to work on it though, it looks really helpful.

Hue

Smash Cadet
I honestly haven't used it in so long I can't even do the up or back throws anymore. I'm not sure why, I can do the forward throw and forward throw/back fake, but I used to be able to do all of them fairly consistently.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Thing with bombsliding is, you cant stop doing it or you'll lose the timing. I stopped playing Brawl for like a month or so (I blame Rockband 2) and when I came back to brawl a week ago, my bombsliding skills (and pivot boost jab locking skills) got rusted. Unlike Legan, I cant keep up if I dont play the game.

Btw, Keep it up Legan, you were doing very good in the matches. I know you'll learn from this and next time you'll do even better.

So what's up with Arkive and the cops?

Yeah, and why do you refuse to own a Wii? You HAD one. I know you did cause you were the first person I ever WiFi'd. I learned alot from that, lol. Made me realise I was behind the curve and also that sliding around is sexy.

The other day in chat jokes were made about a "Legan's Wii raiser" fund raiser. Srsly. It's kinda broken that one of our communities finest (able to take OS 2-0 in your innitial money match? Shex!.) Does not even own the console this game is played on. =P Legan for WTF tier.

Lol, don't **** me <4. (You get a four.)

D

Deleted member

btw legan i don't think you got my super troopers reference at the time D:

"I'm freaking out man!"
"You are freaking out....man"

Deva

Smash Lord
@Arkive. . .tell me the freakin cop story. . .I wanna know now =P

@Legan: Let me rephrase, I dont mean he didn't know the matchup at all, I mean know the matchup against a good Link, like yourself. Link's way too easy to punish, and when you play one that knows how to space properly it becomes difficult to hit him, which is why OS lost to you in a mm. After he started to pick up on some stuff, yeah, he beat you, but there's still a lot of stuff he could be doing to make your life even worse is what I'm saying. Just be careful about up-b outa shield xD. It can punish everything you have if theyre good at powershielding. When an MK has it down to an art against a Link, you have to rely a lot on rolling and spot dodgeing to mix up between your jabs after a zair and such.

Also, I think you misunderstood part of what I was saying about dair. I meant after he gets a stock lead and is at high % and you're at low, dont be afraid to dair after he knocks you up with an up-b out of shield. It'll hit before he can finish the second part of the up-b in most cases. There was a part you coulda done it in your Delfino match. I posted more info on where it was on youtube.

And like I said, I know you'll never admit it, but it's definately becoming noticable by me and I know by others as well. And it's not a bad thing lol. In my book it means you're getting better. I don't really mean you're getting slower or losing tech skill. It just mean's your playing smarter ^_^.

Finally, I do have one final trick against MK. I dont even have it in any vids cuz I dont want anyone else to see this really. All I can say is, my mom's from India and for that reason I'm half indian and kinda sorta look arab so I get the terrorist puns all the time. Mix that with failed bomb slides and you have the perfect setup to **** any MK you'll ever play. That's not much of a hint. . .I know, but PM me if you want details. I wont tell anyone aside from you or Arkive at this point, cuz if it gets out people will start looking out for it and it'll become useless, which is why I haven't done it in any vids yet. For now, even when it happens it looks like an accident, so it's been serving me quit well. AKA, I wish you coulda seen some of my matches that weren't recorded against DSF, or the time I almost 3 stocked Jem's MK. All thanks to this tactic.

@Ich: I have tap jump on.

sasook

Smash Champion
Thing with bombsliding is, you cant stop doing it or you'll lose the timing. I stopped playing Brawl for like a month or so (I blame Rockband 2) and when I came back to brawl a week ago, my bombsliding skills (and pivot boost jab locking skills) got rusted.
This is very true, it's happened to me before. Bombslidings not easy xD

Srsly. It's kinda broken that one of our communities finest (able to take OS 2-0 in your innitial money match? Shex!.) Does not even own the console this game is played on. =P Legan for WTF tier.
I'm thinking about sigging this.

@Arkive. . .tell me the freakin cop story. . .I wanna know now =P
Yeah seriously, we're all curious.

And like I said, I know you'll never admit it, but it's definately becoming noticable by me and I know by others as well. And it's not a bad thing lol. In my book it means you're getting better. I don't really mean you're getting slower or losing tech skill. It just mean's your playing smarter ^_^
Doesn't he always play less flashy and more basic in tourney matches?

Finally, I do have one final trick against MK. I dont even have it in any vids cuz I dont want anyone else to see this really. All I can say is, my mom's from India and for that reason I'm half indian and kinda sorta look arab so I get the terrorist puns all the time. Mix that with failed bomb slides and you have the perfect setup to **** any MK you'll ever play. That's not much of a hint. . .I know, but PM me if you want details. I wont tell anyone aside from you or Arkive at this point, cuz if it gets out people will start looking out for it and it'll become useless, which is why I haven't done it in any vids yet. For now, even when it happens it looks like an accident, so it's been serving me quit well. AKA, I wish you coulda seen some of my matches that weren't recorded against DSF, or the time I almost 3 stocked Jem's MK. All thanks to this tactic.
Indians.....terrorists......bombs......failed bombslides resulting in "suicide bombing"........O_o...

I wonder if I'm close at all...

I KNEW Deva was an Indian name! I just had a feeling it was!

*is Indian as well*

Hue

Smash Cadet
If you do a sudden death match against a King Dedede, grab him by the left edge of Final Destination, either dthrow or bthrow him (don't remember which, it's been a while), pull out a bomb and throw it straight down and DI left, you'll fly off the stage, collide with D3, and kill him before you die.

...yeah, I was bored.

Maybe if you do a bombslide and throw the bomb down (is that even possible?) you can keep your sliding momentum in the air and use it as an approach or something?

Top Bottom