• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kel's Japanese information thread- updated with JAPANESE TIER LIST

IxxI

Smash Fence
I clicked the Japanese link. If anyone is crazy enough to join that place and tell us what's going on, that'd be great.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
All those people asking about fox; check vids of YUI. Id say hes the best Fox in Japan.
And speaking of Fox, is it true that they consider Fox high tier?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Thanks for the update Kel, this caught my interest quick.

All those people asking about fox; check vids of YUI. Id say hes the best Fox in Japan.
And speaking of Fox, is it true that they consider Fox high tier?
Yes they do, unless it has changed.

5ive

Smash Champion
Well, the thing about Brawl+ is that it's made from the idea that Brawl is flawed. The Japanese players curse out Sakurai's name or look at their opponent in a matter-of-fact voice and say "party game!" when someone trips just like we do, but they still like the game. I haven't heard any complaints about Brawl other than tripping, this includes tactics like Chain grabbing and me using metaknight's tornado over and over again. They were calling something the "japanese combo!", so I just started hitting B with metaknight and tornadoing all over the place and calling it "USA combo!" they all laughed. They know how to deal with stuff, so they take the game as it is.
I brought twilight princess with me in case I decided to instal homebrew while I was here, but I don't have it yet, and I'm reluctant to do so because I don't want a bricked wii. I've never played Brawl+, so I won't knock it, but I really don't think the Japanese would be in to it considering they don't consider Brawl to be a bad game anyway.
They play Smash64 on virtual console for a Brawl break from time to time. They usually do free for all, items, all stages. They were also playing Melee for a bit last time, but not long.
I can tell them about Brawl+ for you and see their reaction and thoughts on it.
Brawl+ isn't based on the fact that Brawl+ is flawed. People may think that, but just try it. It feels like Brawl, but essentially takes some time to get used to the new physics. BTW, bricking your Wii is unlikely with Brawl+. It never happened to anyone in the community.

We would greatly appreciate it if you try it and spread it to Japan (Even if you don't like it, maybe the others will).

Thanks again : )

D

Deleted member

Brawl+ isn't based on the fact that Brawl is flawed. People may think that, but just try it. It feels like Brawl, but essentially takes some time to get used to the new physics. BTW, bricking your Wii is unlikely with Brawl+. It never happened to anyone in the community.

We would greatly appreciate it if you try it and spread it to Japan (Even if you don't like it, maybe the others will).

Thanks again : )
10fix'd...

5ive

Smash Champion
We're trying to make Brawl more competitive. That doesn't necessarily mean Brawl is flawed, or not competitive.

Either way, Brawl+ or vBrawl are both great games.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Do they have a counterpicking system? How does it work?

Thank you Kel.

Arigato.

Yeah, I tried to navigate that site. Pretty much impossible, but the google translator makes it somewhat possible. I did manage to get pretty far into the registration thing, but found something that looked like I needed an actual phone number or something to continue. Got stuck after that.

We need to make a new application for smashers: Become bilingual. xP

You should try to see if you can find anyone that is fluent in english while you are over there and introduce them here. Would help a ton with all the questions your getting xD

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Meet any 2channers there? I definitely want to know their opinion on SSBB (I'm surprised they even tried to make the tier list), since the other certain Amerikkaaaa *chan doesn't like the Brawl competitive scene.

Okay, but really, no Brawl+ mention. Otherwise Sakurai's gonna track them down and 3 stock everyone for modding his gaem. <3

Also I'd like to know how the Marth's place. I'm thinking of playing as him again. That and Nico Nico Douga has too much pages to navigate when it comes to combo videos DX

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I tried to navigate that site. Pretty much impossible, but the google translator makes it somewhat possible. I did manage to get pretty far into the registration thing, but found something that looked like I needed an actual phone number or something to continue. Got stuck after that.
Really? I registered without seeing anything about a phone number.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Another question:
Was the player who played against Sakurai in that one video (HE IS ENTERTAINER!) any good?

Kel

Smash Master
When you say that they don't play for money, that means that their tournaments generally have no entry fees?

And how frequent is it for the players in Japan to travel across country to face some competition? Japan is about the size of California right?

Also, where did you learn japanese? :p
Japan is smaller than California with 100 million + people IIRC. The last Nagoya tournament was in December and they're planning to have another one here in July, which makes it about a 6-7 month time span before another tournament in the same area is had. They have online tournaments all the time, but there aren't too many big IRL tournaments often. I learned Japanese from Japanese exchange students/girlfriends/ about 3 years of classes in college + living in Japan.

These videos are pretty neat to watch. I'm interested in hearing where they place PT. There aren't any well known PT players in Japan, are there?
I haven't heard of any. I've seen a really good PT player in my area, but he wasn't hyped up to be anything amazing. I'll have a full tier list for everyone shortly.
I wondered what had happened to you Kel, I hadn't seen you in any results threads for like a year. Glad you're having a good time in Japan.
Yeah, I figured I haven't seen you very much because I don't really play Melee any more and you don't play Brawl =(. It's sad.
How is the Melee community over there?
I've only seen them play a couple games of melee, nothing too serious. I haven't heard of any melee tournaments. I'll ask the guys if there are melee tournaments still though and see what they say.
Ask them Have they Heard of The God Kais...If they haven't then that's sad for them...
they would just look at me like I'm a stupid foreigner if I asked them that.
Does Japan find Captain Falcon to be manly and awesome?

FALCON PUNCH!
Actually, yes. There was a pretty decent Falcon player at the last fest that I played with. He was very lively and exclaimed a lot of things. I could tell that they still considered Falcon a novelty character. Evidently though, Falcon has some grab releases on a bunch of characters, including Mk haha.
How my Diddy compare?
Well, I haven't fought any Diddy mains yet, only secondaries. Diddys are diddys haha, they're all obnoxious and throw bananas. I don't really know what else to say. It's kind of hard to compare considering I can ban FD against you, but I have a 2/3 chance in getting screwed out of a random stage against diddys. I'd say you're the best diddy I've played so far.
Same question from me :p
Also, are there any Fox player out there? I'd love to see their playstyle, since he's ranked way higher than here in North America and it got me curious, though I always though he's underrated here XP
I've seen and played a couple foxes but they weren't anything too spectacular. At least not yet. I've heard he's used a lot more here, this also makes Zero suit Samus better over here as well. I'll have the tier list up soon and I'll ask about fox players like Yui for you.
Do the Japanese do anything different than we do here? What have the Japanese discovered that we haven't? What have you shared with the Japanese?
This exacty same question was asked and answered in the MK boards thread I linked in my first post. Tactically, they play just like we do. I asked them if they've discovered anything we haven't and I didn't get anything huge. They just told me set combos and grab releases are really trendy. As for what I've shared; hrm.... I don't think I've shown them anything in particular. I've done some stuff with Snake that they've never seen before (grenade/c4/ bomb combos), oh, and they always comment on how long I manage to live. In melee it was "japanese DI", but it's looking like "American DI" right now. I tend to live from things that would normally kill most people and they always comment on it in one way or another. If you listen to the videos of me playing against some of them, you can hear exclamations when they hit me with an Fsmash or something and I live past 170%.
Have you told them about Genesis and attempted to get them to come?
I plan on telling them but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

good stuff Kel. Can you ask around fox there? Hes a lot more popular(and successful) over there.
Yeah, this is a common question so I'll bring up fox as a character and ask for their opinions on his strength.
Why do they have so few stages on their stage list? And from what your'e saying, America seems better at brawl than Japan?

Also, how does G&W do over there?
They have fewer stages because they don't think the others are viable for a serious game I guess. It's the same as America's differing regions.
I haven't played all of Japan, nor have I played their top players yet, so I wouldn't comment on how good we are in comparison.
I haven't seen GAW used too much. Actually, I've only seen him used once and it was to counter metaknight.

I see that Masashi's the second best in Japan. Did you hear anything about Aniki? He was one of the best Link players back in Melee and he's Masashi's brother. I'm wondering if he still plays Link and if he's still good. (Of course, he did switch to Samus later on in Melee).
I answered this in the other thread as well. Aniki still plays. He mains Wario now. They nick named him "Waniki" (wario + aniki = Waniki). They say he's still good, but I guess he isn't ranked high enough to be on the top of their ranking list.
ANyone know what the current Japanese tierlist is?
I asked my friend for it personally and it'll be posted shortly.
I clicked the Japanese link. If anyone is crazy enough to join that place and tell us what's going on, that'd be great.
That's why I said it's going to be near impossible to get anything from it if you don't speak Japanese. I can speak Japanese and it still took me months to locate someone from my area.
I explained in the other post that the site is basically just a facebook/ myspace that's smash theme. People post pictures, information, and journal entries on this site. It's rarely used for tournament organization.
I wasn't exactly paying attention when I played the Falcon player, but I think he might have. No joke. Actually, I'm pretty sure he did. haha
Do they have a counterpicking system? How does it work?

Thank you Kel.

Arigato.
The first stage is random of BF SV and FD. They told me that Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island and Halberd are also available for counter. They didn't really explain how counterpicking works past that, but I just sent a message to my friend specifically asking how a tournament match works. I'll be sure to get back to you with his response.
two questions: is their any good lucas's there? and how many of the japanese ogs are still playing (like masashi, aniki, cj, ect)
I have yet to see a Lucas player at all. They haven't mentioned him either. Sorry =(
Masashi and Aniki still play (Pit and Wario). I heard that Captain Jack moved to France or something a while ago. I remember seeing videos of him playing EK's Marth in Sweden or something a couple years back. Frankly, I don't know what Jack's up to. I know his real name is Ryota, so I'll ask my crew about him next time I see them.
Tell me everything possible about sheik and her meta game in Japan.
As a matter of fact, the second best player in my area is a sheik player. I have yet to meet him or take any videos though. I've played the best MK in Nagoya and he reallllly knew his stuff, so I'm really excited to meet this Sheik player. Believe it or not, the best player in my area mains Link (I swear these guys don't suck). I haven't met any of the top three from Nagoya yet, but I'll be sure to get videos for you guys when I do.
Another question:
Was the player who played against Sakurai in that one video (HE IS ENTERTAINER!) any good?
I have no idea what this question is asking. Sorry.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Hello and thank you for your time and for this interesting thread! Have you encountered any female players who are decent? I'd like to know if fem smashers are more out and about there. On another note it's sad that Pika is a novelty there.....:(

Kel

Smash Master
lol holy ****. Yeah, I don't know who that girl is but she didn't look like she knew what she was doing. I'll pass the video by the guys and see what they think haha.
Hello and thank you for your time and for this interesting thread! Have you encountered any female players who are decent? I'd like to know if fem smashers are more out and about there. On another note it's sad that Pika is a novelty there.....:(
I have encountered a female player actually. This last Saturday there was a girl playing Snake. She was maybe two steps below Ally's skill level. No joke. I went back and forth with her, but she REALLY knew what she was doing. She was beating the best Metaknight in Nagoya and going even with me. I have a video of me playing her, but after I took one video she asked what I was going to do with the videos. When I told her I'd be uploading them to youtube she had this huge grimace on her face and told me she didn't want them on youtube. I told her I wouldn't upload them, so I can't. I reallllllly wish I could though. I was getting excited because I hadn't played anyone that good since I left the states. I think she's the best person I've played here. It was humorous to see this Japanese girl playing a super manly, action-stubble packed, mullet-tastic character, beat my metaknight, and then turn to a mirror and check her hair as if nothing had happened when the results screen came up. Too good.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I am half japanese and visit japan every year for holidays.

Whereabouts are these tournaments? I'd really like to have a taste of some competitive japanese smash as well, since I live in australia :p

I'll be going this september, so perhaps we could get in touch and you could give me some details?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I just noticed... on one of the matches, the timer was set for ten minutes. Is that like "tournament standard" over there, or was that you guys just arbitrarily picking a timer for friendlies?

Kel

Smash Master
Vlade, where does your family live? I'm sure I could get some information for you, or at least get you started on someone to talk to.

Oh, Dull Razer, thanks for reminding me
They use a 10 minute timer in tournaments
I forgot to mention this, but this is the standard time used for both friendlies and tournaments.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lol play wifi samboner. he plays like japanese foxes. super gay with down b, boost pivot grabs, and early setups for upsmash kills.

BUT they dont have a m2k, letting them think mk is beatable

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As a matter of fact, the second best player in my area is a sheik player. I have yet to meet him or take any videos though. I've played the best MK in Nagoya and he reallllly knew his stuff, so I'm really excited to meet this Sheik player. Believe it or not, the best player in my area mains Link (I swear these guys don't suck). I haven't met any of the top three from Nagoya yet, but I'll be sure to get videos for you guys when I do.
Could it be Earth?

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Ask them Have they Heard of The God Kais...If they haven't then that's sad for them...
Shoo! Get out of this thread!

EDIT

Question for Kel: Any Japan Peach info? IIRC Peach was relatively low on their tier list.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, the thing about Brawl+ is that it's made from the idea that Brawl is flawed. The Japanese players curse out Sakurai's name or look at their opponent in a matter-of-fact voice and say "party game!" when someone trips just like we do, but they still like the game. I haven't heard any complaints about Brawl other than tripping, this includes tactics like Chain grabbing and me using metaknight's tornado over and over again. They were calling something the "japanese combo!", so I just started hitting B with metaknight and tornadoing all over the place and calling it "USA combo!" they all laughed. They know how to deal with stuff, so they take the game as it is.
I brought twilight princess with me in case I decided to instal homebrew while I was here, but I don't have it yet, and I'm reluctant to do so because I don't want a bricked wii. I've never played Brawl+, so I won't knock it, but I really don't think the Japanese would be in to it considering they don't consider Brawl to be a bad game anyway.
They play Smash64 on virtual console for a Brawl break from time to time. They usually do free for all, items, all stages. They were also playing Melee for a bit last time, but not long.
I can tell them about Brawl+ for you and see their reaction and thoughts on it.
You don't brick a Wii by installing homebrew, you can never brick a Wii by installing homebrew. So DO IT and have them play it and let us know what they thought.

I'm just curious to be honest. Please Kel? For a fellow Ohioan? :)

-Ran

Smash Master
Do they prefer to use the Game Cube controller as well?

How do they feel about chain grabs? Standing infinite grabs?

What do they consider the 'n00b' character?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Looking forward to seeing their tier list. I dont know why but I was under the impression that they used the same list as us :ohwell:

EDIT: Also Im very interested in the Wolf combo on DDD as well. You dont have to get a video. Why dont you just explain to us?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
that vid is soo funny but has soooo much fail.

anyway. can u record mk dittos and also what do they think of ROB

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Vlade, where does your family live? I'm sure I could get some information for you, or at least get you started on someone to talk to.

Oh, Dull Razer, thanks for reminding me
They use a 10 minute timer in tournaments
I forgot to mention this, but this is the standard time used for both friendlies and tournaments.
So you mean...it's not stocks?! Holy crap.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I just realized that. We shouldn't use stocks, only a timer. Seriously.

PRE-EDIT: Wait, nvm. This would detract from certain characters, like Lucario. Then again, I might have to test this... or get someone else to test it...

Top Bottom