• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Video Thread

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
i wasn't joking lol, it really does bother me when i do something that people end up hating me for. nothing bothered me more than the brood/ocean chants though
Well now you just gotta think of how you're skipping FC. In the end, you really can't make everyone happy. People like you man, and people will still like you whether you chose to skip out on Sunrise or not.

What's done is done. Just do what you can to not think about it so much and have fun. It'll be a good showing.

[EDIT]

Also, it's just something that you can't avoid unfortunately. It's true what they say. When something becomes too powerful in any field, it's perceived as a threat. And most fighting game communities love watching the underdog and unexpected fighter take it to the notable player. Try not to take it so seriously.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Good luck at SRT, M2K!!! I don't know why but I've always felt like ever since the threat of an MK ban, you've been holding back in fear of getting your character banned. I always wanted to see how you would do if there was no threat of MK getting banned. Well, here's your chance!!!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
MK never should have been banned in the first place. :p MK is legit with a more restrictive Japanese ruleset as far as stages go.

[EDIT]

With an expansive stagelist? Then yeah ban MK. Otherwise he's legit. Though the legitimacy of MK really depends on the stagelist for me; just my opinion.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Jebus to be honest I think it is because after the MLG ban, and after Gen2, i took very long breaks (after Gen2 they banned MK for a long time too, and had tons of MK banned tourneys for like half a year) so I got very rusty. Also, I used a really good purple controller at MLG and Gen2 (never been able to find a controller that good since then). I still have it, but it is not nearly as good as it was back then, esp not during MLG, so I cannot control my movement and characters as well. However I am still pretty good, just not as good as I was during those tourneys. If you guys can get me a super sick controller that I like (something sensitive/precise, and fast-falls easy, are the things I like in a controller), I feel I can become just as good or better than I used to be with practice. I think the reason controller affects me more than others is because of my playstyle. A lot of my style is based off of having perfect movement, where I can cover almost or all of their options but only with high level of precision. It's kind of all-or-nothing with my style, compare this to ally/anti who care less about controllers and I believe this is because a lot of their style is based off of less movement and shield-release into a punish off reaction, which it is still affected by but not nearly as much. I try to use exact precision to make sure they can't do anything and that is my best playstyle when I am playing good. Does this make sense?

also, i don't know how to beat ICs or olimar on FD. It's super hard to beat them there.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Coming from someone who is also very sensitive to controllers...

Just buy a new one and wear it in. I can't see any reason why this would fail.

There is probably some placebo effect to using someone else's controller that you can blame things on it, even without realizing that you're doing it.

In other words, you might've ignored the errors you made with your purple controller because it was so good in other areas - but if you now got a controller that was just as good you could make the same errors and think "Nup, not as good as the Purple one".

| Big D |

Smash Master
If I were you I'd watch Hayase/Otori vs 9B.

All I can really say is jump and dair instead of spotdodge when you are vulnerable. A bad habit is spotdodging after nado which is a habit a lot of MKs have, and I'm sure 9B will capitalize.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
what are good strategies vs ICs and Olimar?
My trick for learning match-ups:
1. Watch heaps of videos of the match-up in question, notice the general was they approach it
2. Find the best match you can and evaluate it second by second - find out which decisions worked, which didn't, and why.
3. With the knowledge gained from the previous two steps, do the same thing for one of your recorded matches.
4. Play the match-up, get it recorded, and do the evaluation again - see if any new problems have arisen

At that point, you're pretty much set.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Whether Nietono will stay relevant in the japanese metagame from now on is questionable.

:059:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
what are good strategies vs ICs and Olimar?
:olimar: and :popo: both can be approached safely with Fh Fair and Fh Dair as well as Dair camping. If :olimar: throws out a move then you can nado him depending on your positioning. Side b and Fsmash from :olimar: seem the "most" punishable, but there is only a smallish window. For :popo: I'd say to just continually dair camp and Fh Fair till they seperate and then GO HAM. Otherwise just plank the ledge when you run out of jumps to Dair.

:018:

:phone:

C.J.

Smash Master
Seagull, I'm like 99% sure that if MK FH fair's IC shield IC gets a guaranteed uair from it. MK is too slow in the air to get far enough away to offset the huge amounts of lag fair has.

At least, I know that Marth can always fair/uair MK's FH fair on shield so I'm pretty sure IC can as well.

clowsui

Smash Legend
seagull does logic not punish those? if you try to zone w fh fair or fh dair olimar is usually able to punish. it's especially punishable if you try to chip his shield w it. the olimar can actually usmash oos with a yellow to punish the fh fair

fh fair vs ICs is only really useful as a conditioning type thing, they can easily count your jumps and uair you for it. you just have to bait them into jumping (good luck baiting japanese players tho)

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
i really hope i don't get ***** (since they all know how i play and im REALLY nervous lol). I am not expecting to win, but it would be really great if i could do well. For some reason I seem worse vs japan players than here but i think it's cuz they are aware of what i do and im not used to them (I know they are better too but I also seem worse vs them too maybe because of unfamilar characters and/or they know how I play? i don't know the reason)

im not doing it to prove haters wrong tbh (unless you meant about money), because I'm not expecting to do that well myself since my vs Japan track record is not great (altho i did 2 stock mid % rain in a money match at genesis2 twice, i know he's improved since then and ive gotten a bit worse also), I'm doing it because the guilt was too much for me to take any more (going there then leaving just before the tourney). I honestly could not stand the guilt anymore so I got it changed at a huge price, 570 + skipping FC (which is 4 events i could make money in between melee/brawl singles and teams). This may have been a horrible decision on my part but I felt too sad at how everyone made me feel for skipping it just before the tourney.

any money i win here at SRT (if I'm lucky enough to make any) is going to Toph.

it was 1975 ticket, then i was originally going to skip last 2 days of SRT for FC

But, I felt bad because all the americans made me feel bad and suinoko felt bad and vinnie told me kakera said he hates me for it (don't know if serious or not but that's what i was told from him) and that made me feel so bad i changed my ticket. It was 300 + the difference of price to change it (270), so 570 extra, so over $2500 total....

ummmm, you guys don't have to donate or anything if you don't want, but if you would like to help, the paypal that would be used is toph808@yahoo.com . I would appreciate it a LOT for anyone that would help though, and would definitely return the favor to anyone that helps (if I can meet them in person or i could tell them brawl/melee strats or something IDK just... something).
i'm really rooting for you i'd love to see you fight SLS and 9B, for too long all the matchups i wished i could have seen you fought have never happened for some reason e.g. you vs Rain's Falco, you vs Gluttony or TKD. I hope i get to see you fight SLS that would be epic.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Watch Nairo or Anti vs :olimar:, preferably Anti if you want a more practical route but they both play the matchup very well. Basically...you can't give Olimar too much time or space to gather himself. Notice how neither of those players ever let up on him. That's what you want to do. Respect his options, but don't play in fear of them.

It's like fighting against Morrigan's nonsense in Marvel...once you open her up, you DON'T let up or you'll just be stuck back at a neutral position taking chip damage/avoiding Soul Fists (just like Olimar and his Pikmin racking up percent).

P.S. Stop going in with nado directly to his shield, I know you like to do that Jason but it's not that good against him at all. Tilts, grab, waiting to punish his whiffed whistles with upB and nado are all things that are going to serve you much better.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Seagull for worst advice. :D

There are many 9B vs. Nietono videos up.
Works for me vs :olimar:'s, but whatever. If I went to Japan I'd win against their :olimar:s due to matchup inexperience (Based on my experience playing Brood at Apex, they don't know how to punish Bair). I'd probably lose to their :sheik:'s very badly though :c.

:018:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
me vs rains falco and MK both happened in a 5 dollar MM at gen2. I won 2 stock 60 and 2 stock 70 on both games (one vs falco one vs MK) both on FD iirc

me vs TKD's fox happened the week before gen2, 4 friendlies all on FD, we went 2-2, with all games being last stock 100% coincidentally

Unneurotic

Smash Journeyman
me vs rains falco and MK both happened in a 5 dollar MM at gen2. I won 2 stock 60 and 2 stock 70 on both games (one vs falco one vs MK) both on FD iirc

me vs TKD's fox happened the week before gen2, 4 friendlies all on FD, we went 2-2, with all games being last stock 100% coincidentally
Did you do MM or friendlies with Rain or Nietono at Apex 2012?

Top Bottom