• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

in the early days

Geist

Smash Master
I mained mario back in the day lol
I mean, the game was called super smash bros, so Mario had to be the best character.
amirite?

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god...I played peach...didn't know about her d-smash...thought hitting people with turnips offstage was absolutely amazing and peach bombered like a pro lmao. Then I watched Ken vs. PC Chris Orlando...

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Termina Bay was an amazing stage. Rolls and Fsmashes with Marth, used to have this friend that mained Samus who was really good (about as good as you could be when you don't know techs) and had good mindgames and would destroy me.

Then I saw Wound of the Wind and everything changed.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Back in the day when Pokeballs and Fox's >B were broken. And when Peach & Ice Climbers were the worst characters in the game.
(...Does M2K have any videos of his Mewtwo? Just PM is to me. I don't want to derail the thread)

XACE-K

Smash Master
I used to play with all items on, a random stage, and 3 minutes matches against CPUs.

Than I saw wavedashing and that changed the way I play.

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
ha, back when PIKAAAA! was the only sound that ever came out of my tv

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I remember when I accidentally wavedash Shoryuken'd a friend. We paused the game, looked at each other and wooped really loudly. For a month after that I thought of myself the god of smash XD.

Binx

Smash Master
Haha, I remember suiciding a lot trying to shine spike people, me and both of my friends that I got competitive with all started as Fox because we thought Fox was the best from 64 and all had a soft spot for him, I remember the first time someone tech chased me, man what a wake up call lols.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Temple, FD, and Corneria

we played with [some] items (during the 64 days) until we were all convinced that they did not show skill.

i mained marth and did not realize how broken his sword was; i just thought i was that good.

i played with my cousin who mained roy; we were"unbeatable"

i thought fox was cheap; all he had to do was u-throw --> u-air-->u-air-->u-air

Falcon suxxed; all he had was 3 moves...

Falco<<<Fox; his up-b was far inferior, along with his lasers...

Reflector was most useless move in the game; we didnt use items!

Rest was IMPOSSIBLE to connect; just as random as tripping

Zelda=Sheik and u should switch between the two often depending on the situation

10 STOCK MATCHES FTW!!!

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
Back when melee was first released I thought everyone had a super-secret special move that could only be activated with super-secret button presses that Nintendo was keeping super-secret.

I am still searching.....

Smash Journeyman
FFAs, items on, Hyrule Temple. Eventually me and my friends started playing 1 vs 1, no items, on FD only, 4 stock, I always lost and only beat my friend once with Link. Speaking of Link I pretty much only used the Dair.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
I mained fox.

I used to spam F-Smash(lol) calling a row of them the plow being inescapable and cheap.
Really old days, like 2001 so ^^

Aye, i faced a lvl 9 which did D-throw + Shine and thought it was the most broken combo ever created. lol.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I used Ness's PK Flash alot because it was a new move in the game. Hell, I'm still doing this but I got a lot better from years of doing this.

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
I played a lot of 4 player free for alls with my friends back then. We would always pick either Hyrule Temple or Corneria, 3 stocks, with items on. I played Link back then (and still do) and would dair spam.

I won every time. :bee:

Zodiac

Smash Master
Pick link, wait for my opponent to get close, boomarang to double forward smash combo, worked every time..heh heh. also I would run jump charge roys b and release with DEADLY RESULTS! haha, no seriously, I almost never ever ever ever used anyone besides link and actually stopped playing the game after a couple years because no one could beat me. I was THAT good, then I found Smashboards.

The early days were golden roads where I was never ever beat.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
I used to spam Pills with Dr. Mario. Then I played M2K first round of my first tourney, I was never the same.

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
I remember when I found out pikachu had that cloud to make him more fair I was like wth!!!!
nd then up-b with marth all day as soon as I unlocked him only reason I played with him was cause he had blue hair lol

unknown522

Some guy
Temple 1v1s with raynex. Ness v fox and mario v fox.

Then it evolved into yoshi's only, mario v fox.

I spammed f-tilt with marth so much

jugfingers

Smash Champion
me and my friends first impression with roy and marth was that marth was just a weaker inferior version of roy.

sheik dash attack allday son.

I remember ****** with link and thinking he was the best in the game also.

Lunytunes4.4

Smash Journeyman
i mained fox and falco all my life lol. i used to think i was a beast with items, and thought i was unbeatable lol, till some guy ***** me, and showed me wavedash 0_0.then i used to look at pro vids and say "i can at least bring ken to 2 stock" even though i had no tourney experience lol.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I used to pick Fox on Temple and do nothing except for roll-dodge and dash attack.

And then if I landed the dash attack (on the other person who would also be rolling and dash attacking) I might try to combo into an aerial or something...

Oh, and I would also pick Jigglypuff and camp around that lowest platform on Hyrule.

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
A lot of dash attacks and rolling.
I mained marth, and often purely used down smashes and counter--- I was so happy when that actually found a use in competitive play.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I actually played sheik somewhat like advanced techs sheik (read: gay) minus the advanced techs and + items.

lol this is a great thread.

I used to spam drillshines that I would never L-cancel, mainly because I didn't know how, and I also used to play Luigi just because I could wavedash with him, which meant you were top **** back in the days of my playing.
Woah FastFox. I thought you were dead. >_>

Anywho, I used to spam SKRAA!!! with Link, Fair with Mario constantly and spam dancing blade with Marth.

Samochan

Smash Master
Played on hyrule temple bottom part with pika against my buddy's peach and learned how to tech, survive and jc upsmash on my own lol (pika's dash attack blows, so for some reason I managed to learn how to jc upsmash o.o). I took gruesome beatings from his peach on that map however, we prolly didn't even know he was float canceling half of his aerials and turnips were too effective.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oh god, me and my friends use to complain so much when we'd get down b'd by gannon. we thought it was the most broken thing ever.

for me, my one and only strat was to roll around and FSMASH with marth. if somehow he game could keep up with how many times you did one single move i would have reached the billions with marth's fsmash

Top Bottom