• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

in the early days

SuperWildYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Cool Thread, brings back memories of old day Smash.
Anyways I used to be Link and always use the Up-B move and thought it was the best move in the game. I also remember my friends always using Roy because they thought he owned more then anyone else.

And Fox using the blaster stationary against Lvl 9 CPU's till their health was at 70% or higher and just U-Smash them.

Matux

Smash Apprentice
downthrow d-smash with falco on hyrule in the lower part of the stage, we allways considered it as cheating, but I still did it :) I can remember very very very angry friends xD.

and srly ROYs f-samsh BAM!!!! it brings the apocalypse

oh jesus we had a name for every attack:
best example is the downair of
ganon, cf, dk, samus we always said buk !! because it sounds like buk!! xD

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Roy F-Smash a crap load.
I only did that when the opponent was off the edge. I didn't know what edgeguarding was, but I loved Roy, because he was so good in 1-player modes. I could hold the B button down and wait for my unsuspecting CPU opponents on very hard to walk right into it so that I could hit them. Then came the barrage of fsmashes and charged flare blades. I was so good back then. :chuckle:

Spife

Smash Master
I played Link....
I still play Link....
hmmm That should tell me something..

I also played temple (a lot) and up-b spammed a lot and played an 89 minute match on Poke'floats to unlock mewtwo (I was ganon vs a lvl 9 mario)
Oh and thinking that cause I could take on a lvl 9 roy and marth against link means he's not as bad as people on gamefaqs were saying he was

The Star King

Smash Hero
I used fox and spammed drill -> shine (no l-cancel), dash attack -> up tilt -> up air, and d-throw -> d-tilt -> up-air. All of these are easy to escape now, but back then we didn't know anything, lol.

Oh, and we thought lvl 9 computers = god.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I never even used the C-stick since 99% of my time was in one player mode...I still don't use the C-stick.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I never even used the C-stick since 99% of my time was in one player mode...I still don't use the C-stick.
Agreed!

in my early days, I rarely knew of it's function, even though I know of it now I rarely use it though, almost never.

tickytoc

Smash Apprentice
4 people. 10 stocks. items on. i was always dk. my friend was usually roy and i would punch him in his arm every time he countered my dk super punch. that would piss me off sooooo bad cause it thought i had him. always played on corneria and hyrule like eveyone else lol. also the mad dashes for pokeballs was always the highlight of any match and it felt sooo good when you got a legendary bird

ahhh so many memories

IrArby

Smash Ace
I used to main Link and not realize that I could easily beat my counter happy Marth-maining friend by hitting the Z button occasionally. Then we'd Falco ditto and try to trick each other into walking into Fsmashes. Also, when challenger M2 first appeared I actually lost the first time. The shame . . .

smash superstar

Smash Ace
So many good memories

I remember I used to think Young Link was a beast since he was faster than regular Link and had similar moves to him

Then I went to my first tournament and got beat by a Roy, and did not see any Marths there, so i figured Roy was better so I picked up Roy.
By the time I got to go to another tournament Fox, Marth, Falco, ect...started to become the hot thing and I got beat by a Fox using my Roy, so then I picked up Fox, just because of his reflector.

Oh how we learn from past mistakes =)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I spent most of Melee as Marth fighting Roy to unlock Mewtwo lol. Noone played Melee with me, so I only played 1 player.
I used to spam rest, judgement, and G&W aerial attacks lol.

I also played an hour long FFA as Jigglypuff against Lvl3 Ness, Dr. Mario, and Ice Climbers on Rainbow Ride. I ended up with around 100+ KO's, and around 7 losses, because I could fly around the stage.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I always used fox with items on and always picked big stages so I could run away, throw an item at someone, repeat. I was unstoppable, lol

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Throwing a home run bat at a recovering opponent. Funniest. Edgeguard. Ever. Or, placing a motion sensor bomb on the edge. Ahh....items.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Mained Mewtwo and thought I was pro while doing so and was on youtube one day and happened to run into a combo vid (not gonna say whose) but yeah it changed my ways lol......I thought Mewtwo was unstoppable ^_^

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Don't remember much, I guess we all did the same things, Tried out items for some time, Took them off, learned to play advanced without L cancel and WD, Sought out for more knowledge, saw videos, Learned and played better people and then became tournament people ^^

Let's face it, We all adored Ken and Isai at some point and we still do, for all they did for the smash scene

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I used to be good, too. Till I saw my first pro match. "How do they move so fast?!"

Also, back in the day, I used to pick Falco only to repeatedly Dair and do it again when they got off stage. Also, I liked doing the side B spike.

G@BE

Smash Lord
I played marth and Sethlon and I would play nothing but Hyrule and Final Destination. Running really quick towards someone and then rolling behind them was the most advanced tactic we knew... o_O

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Oh my god, they put Bowser in! I bet he's the best!

-First words that ever came out of my mouth when I first played melee. It was a 4 player ffa on pokemon stadium.

Top Bottom