• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

in the early days

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
tap b as fast as i could with fox.

and i thought falcos laser sucked because it was really slow.
lol
So true. "Why would anyone play with a laser that slow?"

My early days consisted of lots of items, illusion spamming, blaster spamming, Fsmash whoring, and jump up, random aerial. Just tilting in whatever direction my opponent was. Never edgeguarded, unless I used items to do it. Never jabbed, never grabbed, and never short hopped unless it was by accident. I played FD for most of my matches, and swore I was all that. Anyone remember good ol' roll around, Fsmash battles?

Apples

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule Temple was the GREATEST back in the day! lool
I would run from one side to the other, camping Ness' PK Flash.
And of course, I used to think Roy was better than Marth. Why? Well... I suppose I just wasn't thinking. haha

urdailywater

Smash Hero
For my first year of playing Melee I mainly just had fun unlocking all the characters.

I thought Mewtwo was broken as crap.

I also mained Pichu when I realized he was in the game, and I still kind of main him today.

I stopped playing once I picked up Animal Crossing so..

edit: Hyrule Temple? Psh, yah, I didn't like that stage at first.

Real men played PokeFloats.

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
I used to play my friends in tiny melee and I always used ganondorf just because he seemed to move alot faster.

He's still overpowered in Tiny melee.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
All items on high, Hyrule Temple, with Roy VS Kirby fights (My Roy friend now plays Fox) along with some Lvl 9 CPUs for good measure. Stamina mode was fun.

No tilting, n-air, or SH because I had no clue they existed.

I watched CPUs play to pick up on what I could do in the game.

Oh, and Gannondorf was broken.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
set items to very high. turn everything off except pokeballs.
pokemon battle to death and if you used any attacks to hurt your opponent you were disqualified.
the only thing that could be used to fight was the pokemon.

oh, those were the days. **** goldeen though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hahah, I certainly remember that transition period where everyone slowly moved from casual to competitive.

It was symbolized by the stage choice... Hyrule Temple to Final Destination. :p

If competitive play wasn't the standard, I wonder what people's "favorite" stage to play for fun would be now?

null55

Smash Master
My favorite places were Hyrule and Corneria. But I also loved Venom, Great Bay, and Big Blue because it was such a good idea.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
YES! I used to watch CPUs as well. And of course I did our favorite combo: Dthrow>shine. Also, I didn't know what Nair was either.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I used to be obsessed with bonuses. I'd do things like roll to change my direction instead of just turn around so I could get the "Never Look Back" bonus. I also never walked so I could get the "Run, Don't Walk" bonus and I wouldn't jump if possible because of some other random bonus. Then I learned about competitive play in late 2006, although it took me a full year to actually become involved in it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I used to go for Compass Tosser every round when I played 1p. I wish Brawl still had those.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
Hahah, I certainly remember that transition period where everyone slowly moved from casual to competitive.

It was symbolized by the stage choice... Hyrule Temple to Final Destination. :p

If competitive play wasn't the standard, I wonder what people's "favorite" stage to play for fun would be now?
Mine was always Dreamland and still is. My old strategy was to jump with the wind to go farther lol

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Lol. I only used the shine for deflecting projectiles, and as the occasional "Get off me" move.

Commander Blizzard

Smash Apprentice
I mained Link and I constantly spammed his upB. Didn't work well, apparently.
I was such a noob back then; Looking back, it makes me feel bad that Link was the only character I ever played as (I played the others seldom, usually when I wanted to unlock more characters.)

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Up B offensively with fox, mained donkey kong, lol. I also thought shiek sucked.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
When I would feel like I was the master I could air dodge with out any one seeing me and then Bthrow into Shadow ball I felt like I was king of the world

Yeniths

East Midlands!
HA i remember just spamming fsmash with roy and annoying all my friends, good days.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
If FFA
Then: Pikachu thunder spam on Corneria
Else: Fox nair/Dair spam, then run away a lot, then U-Smash for kill and/or Shine spike.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
i used to think f smash, f smash, f smash, f smash was a combo with falco. I also remember doing a ton of full hopped dairs.
Same.

At the very start however, I used to play with my cousin who played marth. I played Roy because he was (and is still) cooler. We would charge at each other and do a dash attack, and he would always beat me because Marth draws faster. Then of course fsmash.

ZeroFrames

Smash Cadet
I played with my friend a 2on2 against Marth and Roy cuz we dont like them on HyruleCastle with great Handicap (we had 9, Enemys 1), DamgRation 2.0.
Items on ....

yeah this was fun xD

Another thing was:
we killed all the "cars" on Mutecity ^^

Binx

Smash Master
LOL I remember in smash 64 playing against multiple level 9's with the damage ratio set so that they would basically kill us in one hit to learn how to dodge better haha.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
It was fun though, and the way the meteor smashes were setup... you'd just get hit by them and down to hell ye go...

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Lol isn't the fire Emblem music default for hyrule?? o.O
I used mewtwo just because of his god**** AMAZING roll.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The first time i picked up melee i played bowser. I unlocked characters, and then when i played classic mode on hard mode...i lost to metal pichu... 4 stock out of 5. that made me quit bowser. then i picked up samus and learned missile cancelling :D

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Great thread =D

I used to think that Roy was better than Marth >_>

But before that, I mained Link and just spammed Up B.

Top Bottom