• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your MK: Tactics, Theory-crafting, & More!

lilseph

Smash Ace
Stay out of the air. Thats pretty much the only thing you guys have missed. Other than that yah thats the MU.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
"Never tornado GW" is dumb and wrong. If you're using the move properly, you're going to be hitting him with it 100% of the time and trapping him correctly to prevent him from popping out. Tornado is safe on hit against the entire cast, people just need to learn to use it better.

lilseph

Smash Ace
I had a MM with my friend who uses GaW a couple days ago. I used tornado a lot and my friend that was watching the match is in the GaW backroom, and he didn't comment on how much i tornadoed. So i'm guessing its a good move in the MU if used properly.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I had a MM with my friend who uses GaW a couple days ago. I used tornado a lot and my friend that was watching the match is in the GaW backroom, and he didn't comment on how much i tornadoed. So i'm guessing its a good move in the MU if used properly.
LOL just because he's back there doesn't make him good

Also, I found out that when MK throws glide tosses a banana forward he can re-catch it out of his glide toss

Jem.

Smash Master
do you understand how long that takes? **** should not work. maybe as a gimmick vs people w/ bad reaction time
This, at best.

I practice vs Felix and have now played him in 20 sets in tournament, trust me stupid stuff like this doesn't work. diddy's just instant throw/catch lol.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
pretty much. like you can be technical but, wasted movement and energy is pointless. if youre going to do something like that, bait w/ it or w/e

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Pit will if you hit him when he is in his Up B animation. Pressure him off stage and get him into a position so he is forced to use his Up B, then hit him with a Dair or Nair or something. I don't really know much.

Toon Link I don't really know either. A lot of Toon Links like to recover low. You can basically go offstage and dair him. Bait an air dodge if you can I guess. Some Toon Links will pull a bomb, and throw it the opposite direction so they can bair you while they are recovering. Watch out for that.

Idk

@BPC: Omg lmao.
I don't really know, I've never been scrooged by a Pit LOLOLOLOL.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Purple is MK. Yellow is Pit. I guess just run to the other side and try to grab the ledge before he does? If he starts retreating uh idk....

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
Something useful I found out recently that I just remembered that I decided to share: On Final Destination, it is very easy to dodge Fox's landmaster by flying underneath the stage, grabing the ledge and repeating. I really frustrated Fox earlier by doing this. I'm not sure how well it will work on Falco and Wolf's landmasters because they are a little faster. Idk, just felt like sharing this.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
We do not use items nor smash balls in traditional smash competition.
And that is kind of common sense lol

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
Ik, but I keep seeing ppl owned by the landmaster, and I'm just talking about random brawls. I'm not familiar with the whole smash competition thing yet. I just recently got a new wii and back into SSBB last week, so I'm pretty much clueless.

But here is problem number 1 for me: Sometimes ppl spam mach tornado over and over. What's the easiest way to hit them? (They usually blow out my shield, or I have to retreat.)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm assuming you are talking about an MK ditto. All of MK's sword attacks (except glide attack) will flat out beat Tornado because MK's sword has transcendent priority, meaning it doesn't interact with hitboxes.

Just space carefully and use one of MK's sword moves depending on the situation.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
And while on the subject of pit, how do I stop him from scrooging. I can't follow his wings of icarus fast enough.
if theres an LGL let him make himself lose

otherwise. proper ledge pressure, STAY ON THE GROUND metas dash speed is great, air speed is doodoo and just force it so that you are next to him when he grabs the ledge, if he drops down w/ you right there dair him and Dont get uaired.

Jem.

Smash Master
What are some good edge guarding techniques vs. Pit or Toon Link?
Pit - hit him out, chase him out, fair/dair/nair him out of up b. Pit is terrible off stage (except for arrow camping from the ledge)

Toon Link - Force him to recover low (they normally will) then wait for the boomerang (air dodge or just go from far above, then you need to watch for the uair) then dair. abuse ledge invincibility when edge-hogging vs Toon Link, his up b lasts a lot longer than mosts the casts actually.

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I thought Pit could re-use his up b move after being hit out of it :dizzy: But I don't fight Pit as often so I probably just didn't notice. Toon Link always throws me off. Dair usually works while he's trying to recover, if I'm not too close.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
MK mains, do you know that one Shuttle Loop trick that Seibrik made a video of? Well, everyone knows Shuttle Loop cancel shenanigans by now ("lagless" shuttle loop from under the stage). Well, we can use it for a lot of things. In Seibriks video, he shows doing it near the ground on BF under one of the lower platforms. He cancels it into dropping through until he's barely off then ground, then he repeats. It's like a giant circle of shuttle loop hell. Well, it's cool and I recommend using it.
BTW I love shuttle loop. It really is such a chacter-breaking move...lol

If you need to chase Snake or something off the top of the screen on BF, get under the highest platform, jump and immediately Shuttle loop. Then jump again to cancel the move into a jump. Uair air and Snake's gone :)

Also, buffered Dtilt real talk.
I am obsessed with Fairing then landing in a Dtilt (kinda buffered. More of a timing thing).
I recently found out (with Pit...before I've been fairing and buffering Dtilts with a bunch of characters. It's really good for a few, like Pit). Well, if you jump, Fair, and hit the Cstick down right after, MK fast falls and buffers a Dtilt. It's amazing for spacing. Really.

Also, if you wait a tiny bit after jumping then Fair, it still has no landing lag. We really should fastfall this move more. You can do the same thing with nair, but the timing is different and it isn't as or at all useful.

Oh yeah, little MK warmup habit. I like to short hop, UairX2, airdodge and buffer jump, UairX2, airdoge and buffer jump, UairX2, airdodge and buffer jump, then Nair then Uair.

I dunno, it warms up my hands really well. But really, that Dtilt stuff. Is it a good mixup? I leaned from people like Dojo using it against Wario, who was always my biggest threat (Curse you Timotee) Ok, Dave is my biggest threat, but **** GaW.
But really, we're done losing to him. At least I am.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I thought fair > dtilt was like, really really old? I been doing it forever anyway...

another cool thing with aerials is that uair has IASA frames and it has more landing lag than an air dodge, so you can pseudo L-cancel it

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I recently found out (with Pit...before I've been fairing and buffering Dtilts with a bunch of characters. It's really good for a few, like Pit). Well, if you jump, Fair, and hit the Cstick down right after, MK fast falls and buffers a Dtilt. It's amazing for spacing. Really.
with SH nair you can buffer a fastfall by using the C-stick, but you won't do a dair, and it'll auto-cancel.

Really good for frame traps.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I thought fair > dtilt was like, really really old? I been doing it forever anyway...

another cool thing with aerials is that uair has IASA frames and it has more landing lag than an air dodge, so you can pseudo L-cancel it
Yeah, it's very old. I just want to know if people still think it's a good spacing option and that there are a few ways of doing it.

And with nair, if you hit the cstick down at a certain point, it fastfalls and dtilts, which is weird and cool

Kaffei

Smash Hero
MK mains, do you know that one Shuttle Loop trick that Seibrik made a video of? Well, everyone knows Shuttle Loop cancel shenanigans by now ("lagless" shuttle loop from under the stage). Well, we can use it for a lot of things. In Seibriks video, he shows doing it near the ground on BF under one of the lower platforms. He cancels it into dropping through until he's barely off then ground, then he repeats. It's like a giant circle of shuttle loop hell. Well, it's cool and I recommend using it.
BTW I love shuttle loop. It really is such a chacter-breaking move...lol

If you need to chase Snake or something off the top of the screen on BF, get under the highest platform, jump and immediately Shuttle loop. Then jump again to cancel the move into a jump. Uair air and Snake's gone :)

Also, buffered Dtilt real talk.
I am obsessed with Fairing then landing in a Dtilt (kinda buffered. More of a timing thing).

Also, if you wait a tiny bit after jumping then Fair, it still has no landing lag. We really should fastfall this move more. You can do the same thing with nair, but the timing is different and it isn't as or at all useful.

Oh yeah, little MK warmup habit. I like to short hop, UairX2, airdodge and buffer jump, UairX2, airdoge and buffer jump, UairX2, airdodge and buffer jump, then Nair then Uair.

I dunno, it warms up my hands really well. But really, that Dtilt stuff. Is it a good mixup? I leaned from people like Dojo using it against Wario, who was always my biggest threat (Curse you Timotee) Ok, Dave is my biggest threat, but **** GaW.
But really, we're done losing to him. At least I am.
Can you post the video please

To warm up I just do M2K's taunts (SHnair> uair> dtilt> reverse dtilt) or (walking away, doing a fair by pivoting over and over this is actually kind of tricky) loll0l00lolo

theunabletable

Smash Lord
And with nair, if you hit the cstick down at a certain point, it fastfalls and dtilts, which is weird and cool
And if you do it at the right time, it won't even dtilt, you'll just fastfall at the earliest time possible, and auto-cancel it.

It's really useful.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Can you post the video please

To warm up I just do M2K's taunts (SHnair> uair> dtilt> reverse dtilt) or (walking away, doing a fair by pivoting over and over this is actually kind of tricky) loll0l00lolo
I looked for like ten minutes and couldn't find it. Best I can help you with is that it for MK and by Seibrik. It might be on the chanel RavenXghost. Maybe.

Oh and for the full m2k, after the second Dtilt you run offstage, UairX3 and Dimension Cape to the ledge.

Imma make a vid soon of some MK tricks. There's one I asked m2k to show me, and it isn't REALLY a trick...but it looks cool.

And if you do it at the right time, it won't even dtilt, you'll just fastfall at the earliest time possible, and auto-cancel it.

It's really useful.
That actually is very cool. Imma learn it :)

Top Bottom