• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your MK: Tactics, Theory-crafting, & More!

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Tactics, Theory-crafting, & More!

This thread is to build discussion for new comers and people wanting to further MK and their own skills. Post your ideas here. Rather than post information like this in the "General Discussion" (where it's nothing but spam), you can post it here.

Just 2 quick rules:

1. Stay on topic and don't spam. We already have a General Social for... well.. uhh, social things.

2. Follow the SWF Global Rules.

Very simple.

So just keep it on topic and get to conversing :)

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
I think this is a beneficial thread because i'm still a beginner that wants to secondary meta knight(I love Meta Knight but Marth is still my favorite) so it would be nice to have this thread to help me improve with Meta Knight.

Can someone post a guide on how to use the Shuttle Loop properly because I have difficulty using it overall, except for killing people with high Percents.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
lets start with basic follow ups...

Dash attack> N-air

Dash Attack> u-tilt

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Dash Attack > Nair is the best

Don't forget Dash Attack > Uair at higher percents.

Also some that are great at low percents:

Glide Attack > Uair > Nair
Glide Attack > Uair x3 > Shuttle Loop
Dtilt x2 > Ftilt
Dtilt x2 > Dsmash
Dtilt x2 > Grab

C.J.

Smash Master
At low percents:
dash attack > grab.
glide attack > nair > fair/ftilt/nair

At high percents ftilt1 walk forward ftilt1 across the stage. A lot of characters don't have a way out of it other than jumping, which would put them above you.

RMelee

Smash Rookie
vs most chars at low %:
D-Throw > F-Tilt
D-Throw > Uair
D-Throw > Tornado
D-Throw > Fair
F-Throw > Shuttle Loop
F-Throw > Tornado
D-Tilt > Grounded Shuttle Loop

And vs heavies:
D-throw > Regrab

Player-4

See you in 25 years
vs most chars at low %:
D-Throw > F-Tilt
D-Throw > Uair
D-Throw > Tornado
D-Throw > Fair
F-Throw > Shuttle Loop
F-Throw > Tornado
D-Tilt > Grounded Shuttle Loop

And vs heavies:
D-throw > Regrab
D-throw > Regrab ONLY works if your opponent DI's a certain way. Not because they're heavy.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Dair camp > air dodge> land behnd> grab (stole this from m2k)
Glide> land behind> grab (m2k also)

Player-4

See you in 25 years
LOL! We're Mk mains, if we manage to do ANYTHING right, it's because we learned it from m2k, or saw him do it.
xD
I've learned more from watching Dojo (I sorta look up to him as an MK player) and Shadow lol. They're smarter players IMO. I think M2K 's stuff mostly works for him just because he's so technical. I think Dojo and Shadow's stuff works better for the majority of people because they play smart.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Every MU I learn about MK is from watching M2K. No one watches M2K's MK as much as I do I guarantee that.
For other things I just try to be innovative (but that's kind of impossible lol)

Veril

Frame Savant
who cares ^^

Why not have "theorycrafting" discussions in Hotgarbage's frame data thread? Since its amazing... and this is meh.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
who cares ^^

Why not have "theorycrafting" discussions in Hotgarbage's frame data thread? Since its amazing... and this is meh.
I care :mad:

Could you direct me to his thread please

Player-4

See you in 25 years
who cares ^^

Haters gonna hate

And lol, where is this thread?

Besides, that's just frame data. What does that even have to do with theorycrafting? Don't ride some old topic that has nothing to do with this >_>

Veril

Frame Savant
The frame data thread is in the stickied directory/links thread for this subforum... where useful threads should be. Just an incredibly obvious FYI to anyone who had to look around for it.

@Player-4: Theorycrafting and frame data are absolutely related. Don't be obtuse.

As to the hating, this thread is 100% fluff other than combos people already have posted about extensively without any new or useful info.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
That thread is old as balls, no one ever posts in it.
A fresh thread is really not that bad of an idea.

I don't see why you just don't close this since you think this thread is so pointless. When people see "frame data thread" they think "oh, a source where we can view frame data" not "let's discuss the types of mix ups MK can do here"

Bumping that old thread is not a bad idea either... I just don't see what's wrong with a new one.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I have nothing against the frame data thread, in fact I'd love to see it bumped because frame data is very important, but like Kaffei said, it's lifeless.

I don't really see this thread as fluff lol, and theorycrafting is all about "theories" hence the name, not solid, factual frame data lol.

It's about ideas and trying to figure out "does if this works, is this new, what do you guys think about this, could the be viable?" It's about sharing play styles, and helping each other out. I explained that in my first post. I don't really see where frame data fits into all of that. That's really all I have to say about the matter.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Frame data fits into theory crafting because... well I'll try to give an example

there's a spot dodge spammer and you don't know how to beat it so then you try fsmash that works if you time it right because the hitbox frames come out after his spot dodge ends. if u dsmashed then that wouldn't really work cus then you have to time it even more...??

I suck at explaining. <_>

Orion*

Smash Researcher
thats a garbage example

how about looking at characters options oos if you perfectly space dtilt on their shield :D

and also.

just push b once for tornado, pop them up and read their landing sometimes works for me lol

and utilt-> upB at low percents

utilt is so good nobody uses it :[

Kaffei

Smash Hero
thats a garbage example

how about looking at characters options oos if you perfectly space dtilt on their shield :D

and also.

just push b once for tornado, pop them up and read their landing sometimes works for me lol

and utilt-> upB at low percents

utilt is so good nobody uses it :[
Yeah Orion I told you LOL I'm terribad at examples

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I guess. It just doesn't seem that this type of talk "fits" in the frame data thread, but if you guys think so, then by all means bump that thread and get to work. I just want to prod conversation and brain storming.

Whether it's in here or there is silly and trivial. Either way, I'd just like this theme of conversation to continue.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i want someone to make a thread of every characters options when we hit their shield perfectly spaced w/ a move and then we can just think of gay **** to cover their options lol

Orion*

Smash Researcher
sweet spot + vertical range is gay. horizontal range is decent. if someone nados over you and you dont want to stale SL its a great option. it KILLS and its fast.
people condition themselves to di up and away vs mk unless they see grounded shuttle loop so i have scored very low percent deaths with this
great platform pressure if you use it right, if they dont point it down it can also poke their shield lol

ive also been liking usmash more. i have vids of me vs ksizzle i want to put up soon there was a cool place i used usmash to cover his landing option and it worked really well.

edit: outside of the ditto if someone like wario/gaw/ect dairs down at you people try and shield -> punish but that gives you much more leeway to get baited. its better imo to just utilt or pivot grab depending on the di

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I've been reluctant to use utilt because it's 8 frames & the horizontal range isn't really pleasing me

It's probably mostly cus i dont really know how to use it well sooooOOoOoO

Orion*

Smash Researcher
mk mains spoil themselves :<

8 frames is fast XD

its like. when people dair mk out of nado. and im like ya'll *****es are lazy. nair them for 18%
if d3 mains can learn how to bair us we can at least put forth the same effort

but. yeah they have to be right above you. great part is if you space it right its almost impossible to punish without a smart read like 3/4ths of our move set so its all good

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Yeah it even kills snake pretty well if you tip it he dies at like 150% iirc?

Top Bottom