• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your MK: Tactics, Theory-crafting, & More!

Exdeath

Smash Master
When I use Side-B as an edge guard, I make sure that I can still make it onto the stage.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
GNW is gay cause when he reads, he goes in, but as long as u zone him correctly he won;t get a chance to **** u.

If u get grabbed, obv tec away, i dont think gnw can punish this unless he reads what ur going do next, gnw is very likelly to try to follow the tec, u can ftilt him, shuttle loop,dtilt, dmash, whatever him away, smart gnw will be expecting this so hell most likelly shield when he walks up to u after that tec, so just turn around and grab him.

gnw dthrow can be deadly if u freak out imo, some people spot dodge roll into gnw and get hit by a charged smash :I which can kill u mad early XD.

Dont worry about fair or key until they can actualy kill theyre only going knock u away otherwise, being in the air against gnw is a little annoying but just get back down safelly, dont waste all ur jumps like hes going approach u lol.

Gnw will have their shield up a lot from my experience and theyre grounded a lot, so dash grab mix up is good.

Bleh, I play this mu based on reads lol, idk if this is even specific info.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Your post was so hard to read I would rather learn the MU by playing it than even trying to read that again.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Excellent video, thanks.

I agree with this video 100%, when I used to be new to the competitive smash scene, I would get intimidated by the top players a LOT. Being good is studing, practicing, and basically, "living the game".

"Being good takes Education. It takes months of study, it takes a notebook, it takes mental training so that no matter who your up against, you are NOT playing them, you are playing the character on the screen" laakuma-

This a brilliant statement, in my opinion. This is a great video to get better at the game (Or even, at Video Games in general, or moreover, Life in general), at a pshycological level. Most of the time, the best way to beat your opponent is by using Mindgames effectively, but, if you're pshycologicaly destroyed before the game, you wouldn't stand a chance in the game, and you would get 2-0'ed inmeadiatly. Because, you won't be playing your best. This makes me think, that the best way to win, is to try your best ALWAYS, practice (practices makes perfect), and, don't get intimidated at a pshycological level.

I'd reccomend this video 100%, definitely worth to watch.

TKD

Smash Lord
That man is wise. / \
(I don't mean Jem, LOL)

Pwii, G&W reaches MK's away roll with dash SH fair, easily. It's not even technically demanding; he can just buffer the dash. He has to read that you'll tech away for that, but if I played G&W, I'd read the away roll pretty often.

I see it as...dash fair into one side, dash fair into the other, dsmash. That's 3 options that cover the opponent's 3 options. If he reads you better than that, he can either get you more often, or with stronger hits.

Still, the key is being unpredictable. Your opponent shouldn't get a chance to see a pattern, since I wouldn't expect a good MK to be grabbed often.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Looking that are talking about g&w my worst ****** matchup.
In the firsts pages a saw that Utilt is the best option against g&w's Dar. That still truth? xd
the best g&w from my city use a LOT Dair, i try Nair OoS, SL OoS, Shield Grab and nothing work with that ***** key.
also mk can DI away from g&w's bair? or can be ***** with some OoS attack?

TSM ZeRo

Looking that are talking about g&w my worst ****** matchup.
In the firsts pages a saw that Utilt is the best option against g&w's Dar. That still truth? xd
the best g&w from my city use a LOT Dair, i try Nair OoS, SL OoS, Shield Grab and nothing work with that ***** key.
also mk can DI away from g&w's bair? or can be ***** with some OoS attack?
Yes. U-Tilt destroy Game and Watch's D-Air. This is a great way to "bait" the KO. But, don't abuse this. Sometimes, I let the Game and Watch feel that he can D-Air safely, and when he's on a high porcentage of damage, I bait the D-Air, and then I U-Tilt to get the KO. DON'T ABUSE this strategy, "mix it up" to get other attacks in. Like Shield Grabs, D-Smashes and UP-B's (if he doesn't space the D-Air correctly), etc.

You can SDI Up against Game And Watch's B-Air, it's not that hard. if you don't know how to SDI:

Here's a good match between Seibrik and Vinnie at Whobo 3:

Whobo 3: Seibrik :metaknight: vs Vinnie :gw: Full Set http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbnCcHhoQ6U

Here's a technical DI guide (by Swordgard):

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969

And here, a really good video by Mr Doom:

http://youtu.be/TMhy29SGkDU

Meta Knight's Up B Out of Shield, destroys Game and Watch B-Air most of the time (if he Spaces the B-Air well, you can miss the Up-B), also, Tornado beats Game and Watch's B-Air.

TSM ZeRo

Neutral B is very under-rated vs. G&W.
Exactly. You can tornado Game & Watch a lot if he abuses his B-Air and F-air (When the hitbox comes out F-AIR BEATS TORNADO, BUT, after the first 7-10 frames when the F-Air gets weaker tornado beats Game and Watch's F-Air) a lot. But remember guys (or girls), Game & Watch's N-Air destroys Meta Knight's tornado. So DON'T abuse Tornado on Game and Watch. IMO the best scenario to use tornado in this MU is to punish Game and Watch's poorly spaced B-Airs and F-Airs and B-Air and F-Air approaches. Sometimes, Game and Watch likes to bait a Tornado with a "bad B-Air" so he can N-Air the Tornado, watch out for this.

But up air ***** tornado :<
Game and Watch needs to space the U-Air really good to "elevate" Meta Knight's Tornado. And, most of the time, it's easier for Game and Watch to just N-Air a "Happy Tornado Meta Knight".

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
If GnW pops out of tornado, I'm pretty sure he can uair it. Or maybe it was up B. I don't remember.

TSM ZeRo

If GnW pops out of tornado, I'm pretty sure he can uair it. Or maybe it was up B. I don't remember.
He can UP-B out of the tornado, when his inside of the tornado. And then he can do a Falling N-Air or D-Air to hit the Meta Knight player. If he's below of the tornado, he can U-Air it, and then follow the Meta Knight's special fall to hit him with a Smash (on a high porcentage of damage), or any other attack.

I'm not sure if the Game and Watch can U-Air inside of the tornado, like he does with his UP-B to "elevate" the Meta Knight. Can anybody corroborate this?

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Gdubs up B's. they can do it also OoS for a good punish afterwards. You can nado, just dont get to excited because that move could very well mean you taking a free smash to the face compliments of the Gdubs

Staco

Smash Champion
Im pretty sure he can UAir during the nado to elevate him up into the air.
Using much tornado vs. a good GaW can be risky.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I don't like using tornado vs GW but according to Vinnie grounded ones are apparently good vs him so idk I'll mess with it next time I play friendlies with a GW

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
He can UP-B out of the tornado, when his inside of the tornado. And then he can do a Falling N-Air or D-Air to hit the Meta Knight player. If he's below of the tornado, he can U-Air it, and then follow the Meta Knight's special fall to hit him with a Smash (on a high porcentage of damage), or any other attack.

I'm not sure if the Game and Watch can U-Air inside of the tornado, like he does with his UP-B to "elevate" the Meta Knight. Can anybody corroborate this?
Im pretty sure he can UAir during the nado to elevate him up into the air.
Using much tornado vs. a good GaW can be risky.
This match is really bad and not serious, but just to show that he can and from a pretty far distance too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFrQVVoDrs&feature=youtu.be

happens at 0:48 and 2:08

~PWN~

Smash Cadet
G&W is one of those characters that is difficult for MK to get an advantage over in my experience. That being said though I think that as long as the MK is on top of his (or her) game and plays it smart he (or she) will usually win.

TSM ZeRo

This match is really bad and not serious, but just to show that he can and from a pretty far distance too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFrQVVoDrs&feature=youtu.be

happens at 0:48 and 2:08
This is weird. How can Mr. Game & Watch "elevate" the Meta Knight from above? (2:08) Thanks for the video.

So, Mr. Game & Watch can "elevate" Meta Knight when his inside of the tornado with his Up-B and U-Air. From the video, and my experience against Mr. Game & Watch: he can elevate the Meta Knight from below AND above of the tornado, with U-Air. I know that he can elevate the Meta Knight with UP-B while his inside of the tornado, or below the tornado. But, can he elevate the tornado from above with his UP-B (just like in that video, when that Mr. Game & Watch elevated that Meta Knight with his U-Air *Minute 2:08 in the video*, can Mr. Game & Watch do the same with his UP-B in the same angle?).

Also, don't abuse the tornado against Mr. Game & Watch or you will get punished for it. Tornado is perfect to punish Mr. Game & Watch's poorly spaced approaches (delayed F-Airs and B-Airs, But, Mr. Game & Watch's N-Air destroys Meta Knight's Tornado, so, watch out for those Mix Ups, or the Mr. Game & Watch baiting the tornado for a N-Air).

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
you use nado when he's on the ground or when he bairs.

otherwise theres no point in remotely risking yourself to get ****ed up

Master Raven

Smash Master
Yeah honestly I don't see how tornado is useful in this MU outside of punishing aerials lol

Also idk about you guys but punishing Bair with UpB against a good GW can be pretty hard if they're smart and they're not using it from like half-way across the stage unless you have ridiculous reaction time >_>

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Yeah honestly I don't see how tornado is useful in this MU outside of punishing aerials lol

Also idk about you guys but punishing Bair with UpB against a good GW can be pretty hard if they're smart and they're not using it from like half-way across the stage unless you have ridiculous reaction time >_>
I agree -.-
if you whiff GSL, he can up air you and you are in the ****tiest position ever

Staco

Smash Champion
I think GaWs should win matches more by UAiring their enemies during the free fall animation for the rest of the match, stalling them out. :D

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I think GaWs should win matches more by UAiring their enemies during the free fall animation for the rest of the match, stalling them out. :D
Ew, don't give them ideas. <_<

Also I think Mk's bair is highly underrated, and I'm tempted to make a video showing all of the uses of mks bair. Yes, I'm serious.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I like Bair for edgeguards. It's got good knockback, it's only weakness is that it's a bit slower than all of MK's other aerials which is probably why it's not used as often.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Yeah I agree, I think Bair is highly underrated it's actually good for killing at higher percents and move set ups like 2 hit Bair into turn around Ftilt, grab, or Dsmash

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Retreating aerial bair is good imo. It has more range and knockback than fair. Also what they said above is true o.o

Kaffei

Smash Hero
fair has like the same horizontal range as bair
bair is actually not longer than fair despite wat u think

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Bair is just an awesome mixup, I kinda use it more than most ppl use. It's not bad, but rarely has it's moments thanks to our awesome fair.

Top Bottom