• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your MK: Tactics, Theory-crafting, & More!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Isn't there an option like every single time from Dthrow as long as you read them correctly?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well yes, it's the best non chaingrab throw in the game if you ask me, unless we count stuff like Snake's Dthrow as chaingrabs.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like G&W's followups out of Dthrow though. Unless you don't tech or tech in place the worst he can do is dash attack or regrab. They've gotta be on prediction as well. But if you're against a ledge its about as bad as Snake's Dthrow imo. Down Smasssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Oh yeah RM, I have a very very adifjidfhasd question

Ok, let's say GW Dthrows MK, and MK techs to the left. If GW is frame perfect on his read, can he upsmash? or can MK use one of his moves first before usmash comes out?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Oh yeah RM, I have a very very adifjidfhasd question

Ok, let's say GW Dthrows MK, and MK techs to the left. If GW is frame perfect on his read, can he upsmash? or can MK use one of his moves first before usmash comes out?
There is a thread on the G&W boards talking about it.

Because I'm not lazy:

Metaknight:
Tech in place: 18
Techroll: 32 (techchase Judgement works. Getting a 9 requires Judgement from frame 14-16 assuming you buffer dash after throw. Confirmed by God-is-my-rock, chasing the techroll with both hits of D-air is evidently possible. Dashing for at least 11 frames gets the ground hit only. Dashing for at least 14 frames gets the sweetspot. D-tilt can cover techrolls, but away techroll may require you to delay it and/or take a step forward before doing it.)
Blocked getup attack: 31 front (has deceptive range behind him), 21 back

Exdeath

Smash Master
wait but what about usmash
Usmash isn't guaranteed. MK's tech roll is -32 and Usmash comes is out on frame 24-28. In other words, that gives G&W 8 frames to dash before you can shield. I'm not certain, but I believe that G&W will hit with Usmash if MK does anything but shield or spot dodge.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Usmash isn't guaranteed. MK's tech roll is -32 and Usmash comes is out on frame 24-28. In other words, that gives G&W 8 frames to dash before you can shield. I'm not certain, but I believe that G&W will hit with Usmash if MK does anything but shield or spot dodge.
^Pretty much this. :D Shield shuts it down, but then he could grab you instead. :(

Exdeath

Smash Master
^Pretty much this. :D Shield shuts it down, but then he could grab you instead. :(
If the timing is as tight as I think that it is, MK can buffer shield>Up-B and cover both options. This would lose to G&W shielding/spot dodging, though.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Well first he has to read which direction you're going to roll, or if you're even going to tech...

Since its a matter of reads then just choose an option at random after rolling(or make it seem that way). Its harder to predict what number a dice will land on than what number comes next in a pattern of 2, 4, 6, 8. If you leave no pattern then it makes his job much, much harder.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Drill Rush Ledge Cancel stuffs!

DRLC into...
Nair
Reverse SL
Rising Dair
Tornado
FF Uair>SL

If only we could reliably use Drill Rush... there has to be a way!

Not quite sure, but I think Drill Rush's hitboxes actually have decent priority as well.

etecoon

Smash Hero
drill rush is actually really underrated IMO

it's good against a lot of characters in the air if it beats their aerials because you can't air dodge it usually either

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I used DR cancel to Nair for a kill in a friendly this past weekend and the same thing on BF against an Olimar in a tourney match to grab an early instant 19% lead

Also if you use DR into people and end it right and into the ground you have frame advantage to Dsmash or grab as a follow up. I'm sure there are more follow ups but those are the 2 I use personally.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Yes that's on hit, it gives enough hit stun to Dsmash though I'm sure people will start picking up on it and SDI'ing it

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Yes that's on hit, it gives enough hit stun to Dsmash though I'm sure people will start picking up on it and SDI'ing it
people I play already sdi that shiiiiiiiiiiii :urg:

also, how is GaW grabbing you....

The only thing I focus on not getting hit by vs GaW is

Grab
Fair
Key

Master Raven

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-yKEeh70R8

focus on GAW IMO, don't let the person behind him get in your head

I'm really bad at the MK/GAW MU myself though lol, I do better with my secondaries :/
Interesting perspective in that vid, though I think you still also need to treat your opponent as a sentient thing that can think and mix-up, but if his point was just to not be scared of the person controlling the character, then I agree.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah I think that goes without saying, you pay attention to what the character is doing, what their habits are and everything, but you don't let the other person and their reputation enter your mind. that vid talks about how this perspective makes it easier to play against top players but it also helps avoid trap games where you might underestimate someone else, you just have to fight how you know how to without concerning yourself with how good or bad your opponent is

Master Raven

Smash Master
i said long time ago it was good once in a while vs falco and noone believed me lol
I've seen Seibrik do it in some vids that are months old. idk if he uses it anymore though but I guess it wouldn't hurt to experiment with it once I friendly some Falcos.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
It's good with a hard read IMO and I do it sometimes but tornado is much more consistent overall for me

edit: that is in general now that I reread it but I am talking about falco specifically

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a video (don't remember when) where Drill is cancelled on the ledge when MK is coming off stage; almost like how wolf can with his side b. But meta goes into fall, but gains all his jumps back... how useful would that be to perfect?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So what's this drillrush edgeguarding... I hear about it a lot and everything, but I haven't even seen it or anything. What is it and is it important. I wanna learn a lot more about all the tricks with SideB because they are cooool.

NNID
Budget_Player
Start from a good ways away from the ledge, and then drill rush so that you would go well offstage with it... And curve down to catch errant foes. There's a vid kicking around somewhere... Or at least was. I can't find it now.

Top Bottom