• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your MK: Tactics, Theory-crafting, & More!

Staco

Smash Champion
I think jab + bair are overrated, people just cant deal with it.
So Im using it a lot. :D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I honestly can't see any use for Jab so I don't think such garbage can be overrated.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Jab is sooooooooo good on Ice. Just do a sliding jab into someone and they get trapped, and u can Dsmash em. Its true.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Bair also has more of complete coverage than fair.
No it doesn't. Bair has holes larger holes before and during. It still has a large hole at the end, too -- I get punished more for using Bair, despite it being safer. For whatever reason, people tend to hesitate more against Fair.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Not exactly the same. Bair also has more of complete coverage than fair.
r u dum

go to my MK hitbox thread and copy paste fair and bair and put them on top of each other
from left to right or right to left they are like the exactly same. i am not talking about holes wtf

Kaffei

Smash Hero
sry but when ppl dont read what i said for the 1st time i get annoyed lol

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Bleck it's fine. I was going off eyesight anyways and to me it seemed slightly "longer" horizontally. But you obviously did it the best way and know what your saying :laugh:

Exdeath

Smash Master
Bleck it's fine. I was going off eyesight anyways and to me it seemed slightly "longer" horizontally. But you obviously did it the best way and know what your saying :laugh:
It's a very common misconception that is recited more than it should be.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Are you talking about just regular reverse up B, or can MK actually momentum shift with it?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Are you talking about just regular reverse up B, or can MK actually momentum shift with it?
Momentum shifting it. It's relatively difficult, but I'm pretty sure that the average player can do it just fine.

Cook

Smash Master
So there's this thing you can do where you're running forward, then you turn around and slide backwards while charging f-smash (backwards meaning the direction you were running from). Is this something you peeps know about already? Because it seems like a useful mindgame for when the bad guy is wanting to land and he thinks he'll just land behind you because you're running forward, but I've never seen anyone else do it before. I would show you a video, but I'm a dumb and idk how to do that.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
So there's this thing you can do where you're running forward, then you turn around and slide backwards while charging f-smash (backwards meaning the direction you were running from). Is this something you peeps know about already? Because it seems like a useful mindgame for when the bad guy is wanting to land and he thinks he'll just land behind you because you're running forward, but I've never seen anyone else do it before. I would show you a video, but I'm a dumb and idk how to do that.
It's pivot smashing. Been done since 08. I call it The Sanoscy since he was the first :metaknight: I saw use it a lot.

Cook

Smash Master
NO. It's brand new and it's called Cooking and everyone is gonna do it and it'll make MK the best character!

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Momentum shifting it. It's relatively difficult, but I'm pretty sure that the average player can do it just fine.
Any videos of it used in tournaments?
Yes, I would love to see some videos of Momentum Shifting with Shuttle Loop. Does Meta Knight gain any significant momentum or "boost" from it?

NO. It's brand new and it's called Cooking and everyone is gonna do it and it'll make MK the best character!
But he's already the best character in Brawl :).

:ness:

TKD

Smash Lord
airjump dair > fastfall airdodge crossup > turn around grab
tribute to '10 m2k...or was it '09? '08? LOL. still works :)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
airjump dair > fastfall airdodge crossup > turn around grab
tribute to '10 m2k...or was it '09? '08? LOL. still works :)
full hop or sh?
I assume you mean FH dair but...

SH works to, especially if you mixup with nair after behind their block but MKs horizontal air mobility just makes it lack utility, and I find there aren't a lot of situations to do it in.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
full hop or sh?
I assume you mean FH dair but...

SH works to, especially if you mixup with nair after behind their block but MKs horizontal air mobility just makes it lack utility, and I find there aren't a lot of situations to do it in.
I think he meant Airjump, so you have to be already in the air (is it slightly shorter than SH?).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, or even if this is the most correct thing to do. I'll post it anyway. At the very least, this board may get revived.
This is how I've been playing recently (at least, until my region banned MK), it started becoming pretty effective by that time, but as our MK metagame stopped, I couldn't tell if it was because we lacked of experience or it was something worth look into.

-For certain matchups, those where you rely on gimping the opponent character (like Snake, Marth or Diddy), don't hesitate on punish everything with Dmash and/or GSL. Don't mind if they get stalled, what you want is to built some damage fast, get them offstage, and increase your chances to gimp.

-Some light characters (Jiggs, Pika, Kirby...) can suffer if you build damage with Dsmashes/GSL/GlideAttack, start mixing your attacks at mid-percentages so they get refreshed, and when they get at high damages, be patient to get the finishing move.

Just my two cents...

C.J.

Smash Master
I wouldn't necessarily add Marth into the first category. Marth's recovery is more difficult to gimp than it appears to be. I usually get killed/see kills from dsmash and nair (esp when MK grabs the ledge and I have to DS onto the stage- so annoying).

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I wouldn't necessarily add Marth into the first category. Marth's recovery is more difficult to gimp than it appears to be. I usually get killed/see kills from dsmash and nair (esp when MK grabs the ledge and I have to DS onto the stage- so annoying).
this

and dont stale out SL TO MUCH vs snake
you want that to kill when he's on the cypher....
and overkill would mean that it's not gonna hit him off the cypher at all (cost me a set once, I had a gimp at the blast zone I died at zero he lived at 80%)

honestly just proper followups will get people offstage. I tend to not think about move usage but more option usage if that makes sense
the second you start thinking i have to use xyz moves it makes you obvious

Exdeath

Smash Master
When you're Uair walling Snake and he wavebounces Neutral B to avoid you, space Down-B on reaction and hit the back of his head. It kills at solid percents and at mid % and above it's safe on hit.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
This thread has been dead for a couple of months now. For the current Metagame, what are the best combo/strings and at what percentage should they be used?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
>current metagame
>combos

Current metagame is still very simplistic, just very fast-paced. When pressuring the opponent, if he's close enough so you can attack him, you just do it even if it's not a guaranteed combo, that's how people are expected to build damage.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I personally like using the combo Dtilt>DA>Dtilt>DA, or replace Dtilt with a good Dsmash at low percents. For some reason it just keeps people on the ground if you buffer the DA fast enough.

Another good combo I actually love using is GSL>cancel>Nado>(optional platform drop-thru)>GSL>Glide attack. I've used this on Battlefield and Yoshi's Island, maybe I just play exceptionally bad people because for some reason this attack just doesn't seem like it should work at all.

Top Bottom