• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

i'm not sure about the frames and quickness of ike's dash>shield>jab but this could be quicker quicker then it so better for punishing for those crazy ike's that like to use jab a lot. And while i know how to RAR with ike isn't that 08 early 09 ike and very punishable.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
punishing for those crazy ike's that like to use jab a lot.
Um.... Fair? Shield grab? Both better options because they don't risk you getting hit (and you will get hit with how slow that little "advanced tech" is.
And while i know how to RAR with ike isn't that 08 early 09 ike and very punishable.
So sorry. I guess for San and me it isn't, but for everyone else, yeah, it is sort of punishable.
(San uses left trigger for jump, I use claw hold, so every time I think Bair, I think retreating Bair, which is difficult to punish for everyone.)

But then again, jabbing a shield is punishable too.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I haven't been punished for a retreating Bair in awhile.

Also, I think Ike shouldn't be getting Dair gimped by MK so much like I thought back then.
I've been thinking about fall speed a bit and trying to compare it to Samus gimping(spiking) Ike.
Ike falls much faster than MK doesn't he?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yeah, he does. Good MKs will still try to end up below to you begin with and stay at optimum recovery height, meaning they'll still **** us if we get under them.
Which is why I've used QD to recover a LOT against MK recently. Jump over him, QD (hopefully to a platform), and avoid the gimp, even if it means I take a little more damage on the landing lag.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Just be wary that if you QD too much, the discerning MK will bait it and scoop you away with reverse shuttle loop.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Truth up there ^

That scoop is dumb. I don't know why it does that.
Suppose MK is facing right, and Ike is facing left. If MK shuttle loops when he is slightly in front of Ike while facing away from him (he's still facing right while Ike is facing left), then Ike will get reverse shuttle-looped.

Also, I suck playing as MK at 5 in the morning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rIfhER1cPE

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Space against his projectiles better, don't rely so much on QD, and don't approach with an attack every single time.

----------

Good luck those at MLG DC!
Yeah i overused QD but i don't rely on it and most the time it was just for the edge XD i know snake can abuse aether with nades sometimes so i tried avoiding it, i almost never use QD as an approach i think in those games i landed on stage with it like 2 times XD... Yeah there were some fail dodges of projectiles that i knew would blow up but yeah.. I tend to be aggro when playing, rare to find me camping but occasionally i try approaching with air dodge or spot dodge.. But with snake it can end badly.

•Col•

Smash Champion
That dashing jab thing... Can it actually be done out of any part of a dash? Because in that video, it looks like it can only be done in the initial part.... Which means you'd have to foxtrot to be able to do it whenever you wanted... Which means it doesn't seem worth it. :/

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Suppose MK is facing right, and Ike is facing left. If MK shuttle loops when he is slightly in front of Ike while facing away from him (he's still facing right while Ike is facing left), then Ike will get reverse shuttle-looped.

Also, I suck playing as MK at 5 in the morning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rIfhER1cPE
I know. I was just saying I don't know why they included that.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
That dashing jab thing... Can it actually be done out of any part of a dash? Because in that video, it looks like it can only be done in the initial part.... Which means you'd have to foxtrot to be able to do it whenever you wanted... Which means it doesn't seem worth it. :/
I have been able to do that without having to crouch. But yes, it can only be done in the initial part.

I know. I was just saying I don't know why they included that.
Blame the programmers.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
On the contrary, I'd recommend that everyone practice using Ike's foxtrot over and over instead of proceeding into the full dash.

It increases his run speed from 1.37 to 1.5.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I must not be doing it correctly, since I don't notice any difference.
It's sort of tricky, you have to continually get the analog stick back into neutral position before slamming it again the the direction you want to go.

The best way to test out if it works is to make a custom stage with two straight lines. Have Mario (initial dash and full run are both 1.5) and Ike race each other. Done right, Ike should be no slower than Mario.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
There is a timing but you can get some leeway on it.

I, obviously, cannot display the intricacies of the technique using merely words. Just go and try to get it down as consistently as possible. Then decide if being able to have perform dashing jabs and having a faster run speed is worth not being able to shield instantly (you can still roll and spotdodge IIRC) and having a larger chance of tripping than normal dashing.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
No, I know for sure that you can roll in the opening frames of a dash (from when I tested it in debug mode). Don't know about spotdodging, though.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Oh wait, you're right. You can roll during intial dash. .-.
It's weird though because you can just flick joystick foward and tap shield a bit afterwards and it'll turn into a roll.
Yea, just no spotdodging.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
When I checked the brackets, San had a bye to the next round, and they were only doing round 1 today O_o up to 3 apparently. And I think that kind of upset would have been announced on the top of the page thingy...

Heartstring

Smash Legend
hell end up ripping his way through losers bracket, in the usual fashion
i jsut mentioned that they have an mlg in raleigh, where my cousin lives
i may be there next year (yey)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
smashgod vs san... who does smashgod use?

EDIT: game 1 to smashgod :<

EDIT 2: san over smashgod :>

EDIT 3: I've been thinking since SV and FD are really the only stages that suck for Ike so much. RC is a fun stage, and frigate is 70% of the time in stage 2 so it's not as bad as FD/SV... been thinking maybe we play game 1 on SV/FD, we ban the other, then the other person is stuck CPing us to a stage we are usually fine on if we lose on fd/sv (which we can still win xD)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
been thinking maybe we play game 1 on SV/FD, we ban the other, then the other person is stuck CPing us to a stage we are usually fine on if we lose on fd/sv (which we can still win xD)
Interesting, I hadn't thought about playing that way before... :evil:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Interesting, I hadn't thought about playing that way before... :evil:
Also lets us get used to the opponent game 1

Against MK this probably isn't that great -.- but if you're against MK you can always ban RC instead of fd/sv if you don't like RC against MK.

Edit: San vs Ninjalink! (nothing really big about him beating kingtoon lawl)

Edit 2: Ninjalink wins :< San is out

Heartstring

Smash Legend
dude, i swear england gets these results FAR slower than you do. weve only jsut found out that poltergust caused an upset

Top Bottom