• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
im ok on smashville, fd is a ***** against those that like to hard camp (i'm looking at you GANONDORF XP) but other than that its ok.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well...in theory, Ike is best on BF. FD is a no no vs guys like Fox, Falco, Samus, MK, ICs, etc. I just suck on PS1, but there's a lot of things going there for Ike. Love using the windmill to advantage. SV is what I considr a "true" neutral for Ike. YI...I think it's good for Ike.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I personally think SV is Ike's worst neutral. It's like a smaller FD, which may make it easier to close the distance on campers, but also limits the space Ike can work with. And I don't see that platform really helping him either considering it moves.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I feel FD lessens the amount of aether shenanigans you can do. FD sucks against campers and those that can gimp you offstage, you have to be ready to not be caught underneath the lip of FD. I don't know how many times the SV platform has saved me when I could have been edge hogged if I tried to aether back. On to of that, it's useful against Yoshi if he CG's you. You can be released onto the platform.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Wow. You guys really do hate FD and Smashville. Oh well. I'll be working on some shenanigans on Smashville, and then I may release another video.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
SV is worse for Ike. Stage is too tiny.
That doesn't make much sense though, we don't want a huge stage where characters with projectiles have tons of space to circle camp us (Falco). SV isn't too much shorter length-wise than FD and about the same as BF.

I've seen you bring that up before though, and it had something to do with Ike's spacing I think? Now, I can see if the whole stage was like the size of one BF platform, yah, we'd need some more room to swing. But even our Fair doesn't reach more than 1/8th the distance across SV... we've got plenty of room.

FD just has way too many more disadvantages and worse MUs to be considered a better stage for Ike all-around. I don't particularly like SV either but FD is just not a good stage for us. The lip and lack of platforms alone bring our recovery and stage-control down several notches.

:034:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yes, it's a spacing issue. We can't use a fully retreating Fair more than 3 times in a row max. If we aren't always going to have a platform to jump to due to where it is at any given time, I'd rather have room for say 5 fully retreating Fairs in a row.

Besides, if I'm taking a character to one of those two stages, it's because they don't have a projectile and aren't Sonic. That means we already out camp them, so why allow the opponent to get past our Fair/Nair by jumping on a moving platform to catch a ride?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
FD is better in that sense but Niddo, on average SV will help Ike more than hurt him JUST BECAUSE of that slant ledge.

Platform doesn't save Ike too much when people can punish aether and you're right next to the blastzone @_@ but its better than getting gimped with no hope.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
was in an ike only AiB tournament with Abe as the host.. got to WF and beat Abe 3-1 then by the time GF came along i just wanted to end it so i could play more games on the computer and lost 6 in a row XD XD XD... no doubt he will start bragging, but we will see haha.. That was lulz

SV is worse for Ike. Stage is too tiny.
I would choose SV over BF any day

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yes, it's a spacing issue. We can't use a fully retreating Fair more than 3 times in a row max. If we aren't always going to have a platform to jump to due to where it is at any given time, I'd rather have room for say 5 fully retreating Fairs in a row.
There's no way you can do 5 on FD... not fully retreating anyways. But even if you can (I haven't tested, so don't rail on me for that if I'm wrong), what difference does that make? Either way you're gonna be cornered at the ledge eventually if all you're doing is retreating aerials. A longer stage just delays the inevitable, and FD has no platforms to save you at all.

I'd even disagree with the platforms saving you to an extent, because a lot of the time the character beneath a platform has the advantage. As Ike you want to have your opponent on a platform above you, not be above them on a platform. FD forces you to play one-dimensionally which is not beneficial for Ike.

Besides, if I'm taking a character to one of those two stages, it's because they don't have a projectile and aren't Sonic. That means we already out camp them, so why allow the opponent to get past our Fair/Nair by jumping on a moving platform to catch a ride?
If they jump on the platform we shark them, it really doesn't make it any easier for a character without projectiles and without a sword to get past our range. FD's lip does make it easier for just about any character to gimp Aether though, since we're forced to recover too far out from the stage for comfort.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Dang it, I can't explain it well. -_- SV sucks, I don't fully know why, it just does and it has something to do with the size. :mad088:

Thats what she said

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
SV is not too small but not too big, just the size that Ike has less space to work with and enough space he can't apply pressure as well like on BF

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
was in an ike only AiB tournament with Abe as the host.. got to WF and beat Abe 3-1 then by the time GF came along i just wanted to end it so i could play more games on the computer and lost 6 in a row XD XD XD... no doubt he will start bragging, but we will see haha.. That was lulz

I would choose SV over BF any day

sooooo wanted in on that Tourney, but ya had to be part of that dang group <_<

As for the FD and SV talk, I'd take a stage with at least one moving platform over a no platform stage any day of the week.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I just like BF for the spacing and platform pressure.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
San :D! Hope you had fun at MLG! That MLG has so many upsets o_o

You'll get your game back at Whobo >:D

(Or Dallas if you're going to MLG Dallas :o)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
the thing that gets me sabout that platform is whenever someone platform cancels on me and im like 'okay ill jsut hit him off that and...what?'

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Its not that brawl is bad, its cause Nintendo is ignoring them for stream rights
That's a good point. I don't know if it'll be enough to get them to drop Brawl though, the tour has been pretty successful despite the lack of livestream.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't think MLG ever did more than Gamebattles with the CoD series, though I could be wrong. If there is no LAN for CoD, it won't be in the circuit.

Top Bottom