• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

C.J.

Smash Master
I am aware.
Look at what I quoted. Nys stated that the second and third sentences have the same meanings. I disagreed with that and gave reasoning to support my disagreement.

EDIT: Since we're on the subject of grammar; it's "who copied whom."

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I am aware.
Institution of gender is just what most of us are aware of at glance.
That's apparent, CJ.
Something along the lines of "My girl hamster is so sweet." You're not saying that girl is a hamster that is sweet. You're just establishing gender.
I fail to see how you're just establishing a gender with the statement of instance. You're saying that the girl hamster is sweet, which insinuates that it's a female hamster, that is courteous, kind, polite, or any synonym similar. I'm at the point that you said just establishing gender.
You're saying "My girl hamster is so sweet." With that, you're clarifying:
-She's your hamster
-She's your GIRL (female) hamster
-Sweet is the term of choice you'd use to describe her, at least in summary or among other adjectives

I'm not certain if that error was overseen, but yeah, it's pretty conspicuous. Sorry if I carried this further than what you originally intended.
:pinkiepie:

C.J.

Smash Master
Oh, I see what you mean now. That was my mistake with capitalization. It should say:
You're not saying that Girl is a hamster that is sweet (implying that Girl is the name of the hamster).

As for the other adjectives, they were irrelevant. I meant in comparison to the other statements in the quote. So it's just identifying gender and can't be that hamster's name.

It was a bad way of wording it on my part.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I agree with the first and third. However I would view the middle one as "My female counter" as opposed to a male one. Something along the lines of "My girl hamster is so sweet." You're not saying that girl is a hamster that is sweet. You're just establishing gender.
The word "girl" is a noun though, not an adjective. Even saying "That person over there is a girl" still uses the word "girl" as a noun. You're simply reading it wrong if you're getting this:

My female Counter is TOO good.

From this:

My girl Counter is TOO good.

They don't, and in fact can't, mean the same thing. A sentence like "My girl hamster is so sweet" is completely wrong if your intention is to say that there is a hamster and that it is female. The proper sentence has to be "My female hamster is so sweet", however even this implies that you also have a male hamster, which may not be your intent.

:248:

C.J.

Smash Master
I thought girl was an adjective as well. My mistake then and disagreement withdrawn.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I just noticed, if you take the statement "My girl, Counter is TOO good", it could imply Counter is a delicacy. I'd like a morsel.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
US trying to cover up any egotistical behavior they can

Ooh Skype works too.

After reading that article, the internet kinda freaks me out. Then again, it's where I spend most of my time when I'm not playing games.
Internet had nothing to even do with it. Internet is how they ended up getting caught :\ and that's it. This was a girl getting ***** and murdered by 2 guys she called "friends". Granted her friends and family said to not hang out with them.. but yea shows how deranged society can get :s

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
*yawns* okay, i'm recovered from AUSOM, but now i possibly have a sinus infection.. great <_<

Anywhom if you still are having trouble with Soku, Ussi, let me know. Also Youmu got nerfed so baddy in the speed department, but I know a few tricks to help alleviate that. You will however be stuck relying on normal to mid damage combos, that don't use spell cards as often. Due to you will be using system cards for the most part to regain speed.

Also no, not going to yell at you like Jam said, rather welcome you with a beat down youmu ditto perhaps.
already established my waifu tier for her so yeah. She knows her place <insert creepy laugh here>

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Internet had nothing to even do with it. Internet is how they ended up getting caught :\ and that's it. This was a girl getting ***** and murdered by 2 guys she called "friends". Granted her friends and family said to not hang out with them.. but yea shows how deranged society can get :s
I was thinking wrong for some reason. Too focused on worrying/studying for midterms.

@Sen: Youmu dittos with me next? I'd love me some more Control Rod + 3card sword. Dat damage output.

I should actually use more system cards than that or Grimoire =/

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Skype is where its at.

But anyways, I know i'm terrible since I'm going even with computers on normal :\

oh and I just read some disturbing news of bondage **** and murder -_-;; link below for those curious

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/10/world-of-warcraft-text-murder-201110
started reading, stopped very quickly. not an area of the interwebs i want to go to again thanks

Apparently, I can't watch it in Canada...
i cant watch it either

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
I was thinking wrong for some reason. Too focused on worrying/studying for midterms.

@Sen: Youmu dittos with me next? I'd love me some more Control Rod + 3card sword. Dat damage output.

I should actually use more system cards than that or Grimoire
=/
You should, lots of things there that youmu can use, experiment i say.

@Ussi: You'll have to bare with me as I look over my deck again, I do know however that I have a thing of Tengu Fans in there to reach Max limit for them. 3 heavenly drops, two gourds. Rest will have to look into.

Been a while since I played any whom, almost next to no one to play with, but the supposed talk of tasofro, doing another fighter is more than enough to get me back into all of this for the time being.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What Ryo does isn't hard technically, its just really good mindgames and spacing, with some good reactions as well. Ryo just gets in people's head.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I think it's more of the fact that Ryo reads people so well. I consider him the best Ike out of all of us in that regard. He makes better reads than all of us and it makes up for the numerous amount of risky moves that he does when he's playing someone compared to the safer playstyle that most of us are familiar with. It works for him though so that's all that matters.

Speaking of which, san's going to a tournament this Saturday and I'm giving him matchup training probably Friday. I wonder if it'll actually help though. Now that MK is banned, I wonder if double Ike would actually be really viable? I was considering going to a tournament with san this Saturday (lol, imminent comeback) and teaming with him, but I have an exam next Thursday. What do you guys think?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think double Ike has potential mainly from how san and I did at apex in friendlies. Ike is so good at setting himself up for the kill, I love it so much.

Meneil

Smash Apprentice
Double Ike is more viable without MK, but there's some hard team MUs for it still, like Wario. But in general it should work well.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm fine with 1 MK, but 2 MKs I just can't keep track of with any character I may try to use.

@Kimchi:
It depends on the test. It's all the way on thursday, unless you really feel you need the whole time.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
So Sen, Ussi, and I up for some Soku? When I'm done with midterms this week I can play. Just one in Comp Sci I have left. I feel bad after my Calc midterrm recently though. Didn't feel that great so I Brawl'd all the bad feelings away. If you want Ussi, we can try Skype to play around Soku. Sen can join in too!

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Double Ike is more viable without MK, but there's some hard team MUs for it still, like Wario. But in general it should work well.
Yes. Agreed. Wario is no big deal in singles. But man. In doubles, he's irritating. Not sure where to CP Wario teams because the teammate can usually bail them out of a grab release situation.
@Kimchi:
It depends on the test. It's all the way on thursday, unless you really feel you need the whole time.
Uh, yeah, dude. Let yourself have some fun unless you seriously have to study for over half a week for the test.
Enjoy your independent time at college, even if going out sometimes means going to a video game tourney.
So since you Canadians could not watch the original clip I posted on here (cause it's from CBS), I posted another clip from some random user.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKuBjNdFvk
Heavens to Gretsky. Slays me.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yes. Agreed. Wario is no big deal in singles. But man. In doubles, he's irritating. Not sure where to CP Wario teams because the teammate can usually bail them out of a grab release situation.
Solution: Team with a Wario. Ike/Wario is a boss team. And it's a great team on just about any stage, mainly coming down to player preference. FD is still unfavorable and Pictochat isn't always good, but generally Croi and I feel comfortable on any stage we get CPd to.

We experiment with double Wario and double Ike too though. I think Ike and Wario in general are two of the best characters for doubles with MK out of the picture. Only time will tell though as results for major MK-banned tourneys come in. Interested to see who the top teams are using. Dedede and Snake too I imagine will be common.

:248:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So Sen, Ussi, and I up for some Soku? When I'm done with midterms this week I can play. Just one in Comp Sci I have left. I feel bad after my Calc midterrm recently though. Didn't feel that great so I Brawl'd all the bad feelings away. If you want Ussi, we can try Skype to play around Soku. Sen can join in too!
when do you want to play? weekends tend to end up busy time doing errands that i can't do on weekdays :s

friday night is my best day

and on a side note I feel like saying this:

Ike's whiffed standing grab has the fastest recovery time (22 frames)... its so fast that you can whiff a grab on a spot dodge and not get punished by it if they spot dodged roughly the same time you grabbed. (in fact you can punish their spot dodge if you they dodged the first frame possible with their spot dodge)

Ike can relatively spam grabs safely rofl.. cause if they start spot dodging earlier.. than they're easy jab bait

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
@Ussi: Friday nights are good for me too, but this Friday I'm going to celebrate my brother's birthday with the rest of the family, so it depends what times you're available then. I should be available most of next week. Also don't forget to get hamachi and set a room or something unless you can port forward and host yourself.

Top Bottom