• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Well, sometime in August of 2002 (I think) there was a prank involving traveling from New York to London. Step 23 said swim across the Atlantic Ocean.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, characters can recover through the platform, so we might just end up D-tilting them onto the platform. However, if you are talking about on the sides, then I figure the number is pretty high.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well, characters can recover through the platform, so we might just end up D-tilting them onto the platform. However, if you are talking about on the sides, then I figure the number is pretty high.
:D

*declares PTAD to be a good Ike stage*

*begins to work on Luigi's Mansion*

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
They could still get hit by the road and bump themselves up. I had to do that to survive. If I ever get to put my replays up, I can show some vids on those 3 stages themselves, and maybe even put 1 or 2 in the critique thread.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
All I know is that for light characters, dash attack-->bthrow works around the 70-80% area (like olimar, MK, marth light). Maybe a little less like 65% may also work.

Also, Apex pools
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10900241#post10900241

Ussi has a pretty tough pool.. =(
Anti, Izumi MKs, and Nicole's a skilled peach, and Coyn3Masta and Peachkid can probably put up a good fight, too.

Anti
Izumi
Nicole
Ussi
Coyn3Masta
PeachKid

In mine I only know of Strombert (falco?) TommyGreenShirt(Sonic) and Seagull(Wolf?)
I assume alex is Lucario lol.

san
TommyGreenShirt
alexofthaura
Nintendo Master
Stroumbert
Seagull
Tommy was switched with Ishieymoro in our pool. Good luck San. I'm pretty sure both of us will make it out, but I don't know what seed we both will end up with.:)

Choice taught/told me some stuff ;)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Lol, did you even take time to analyze what your opponent can do on that stage?
Screw that, free damage every time we force them off the side is free damage, plus a possibility of a KO.

That, and I'm going on vacation tomorrow for several weeks. Screw thinking! :mad088:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if we're going by jab>jab>dtilt, they cant escape unless they have a jump, and with that you can hit anyone except jigglypuff and luigi i think

i can imagine this stage being an amazing cp vs. snake, that is if the ceiling wasn't so low

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
if we're going by jab>jab>dtilt, they cant escape unless they have a jump, and with that you can hit anyone except jigglypuff and luigi i think
*Buzz*

Most characters can just fall and autosnap the ledge before the dtilt fully resolves, and there's this little things called DI that lets a person get far out enough in the case of 2 jabs that the dtilt wont even connect. Rob snake and wolf are the 3 most likely characters to be dtilted before they snap the ledge.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
*Buzz*

Most characters can just fall and autosnap the ledge before the dtilt fully resolves, and there's this little things called DI that lets a person get far out enough in the case of 2 jabs that the dtilt wont even connect. Rob snake and wolf are the 3 most likely characters to be dtilted before they snap the ledge.
ok i didnt clarify
i meant on ptad, continueing the previous conversation. because ptad has no ledges
and yeah di is definetely a problem, maybe only one jab then?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
ok i didnt clarify
i meant on ptad, continueing the previous conversation. because ptad has no ledges
and yeah di is definetely a problem, maybe only one jab then?
Jab -> Dtilt goes from legit but rare to very legit and go for it all the time on PTAD. If they've already used their second jump it's even better, because you can just jab them at the ledge repeatedly until they're in the right spot. Even if they air-dodge past the Dtilt they will then either fall to their death if they have a bad vertical recovery or be forced to recover through the platform where you can punish with whatever.

Even Frigate's lack of ledge isn't as good as PTAD for Jab -> Dtilt because a very quick and skilled player could wall-tech the Dtilt spike on Frigate.

:034:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
excellent, sadly getting someone in that position is close to impossible if they think its going to happen, or in general actually

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So I've only heard talk about the main platform of the stage. Since I'm not familiar with the stage at all, what's Ike's effectiveness on the ground where the cars come? Any tricks or good things there?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Spam counter with the cars.
;D
LOL, I just had a thought, can we do that Norfair lava stalling thing with the cars? Or do the hitboxes come out too quickly?

Otherwise, it's not a bad stage at all for Ike IMO. Platforms galore during the static sections, except for a few, but even the sections with walk-offs are so enormous horizontally and last for such a short time that it doesn't play much factor. Obviously if you don't think you can recover or that you'll have to land on-stage with Aether, it's often best to just Counter-stall, especially if you're familiar with the stage progressions.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Oh for sure, and there are definitely a lot of character you don't want to take there. I'm not saying it's one of Ike's better stages, but it's definitely not his worst as long as you know how it works and can use it's gimmicks to your advantage.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, you guys were making it seem like PTAD was the next Delfino or Pirate Ship. This goes back to what I was saying in the Guide discussion. We should create a list of stages Ike should use and not use, and beneath each stage, say which characters to take. That way, it will be easier for new comers to understand and say, "Hey, I shouldn't take G&W to RC." We don't have to explain the reasons behind it, just create a basic list. If they happen to ask us why we shouldn't take X character to that stage, we can explain it.

Edit: Red, I obtained that Wii game, Arc Rise Fantasia. Surprised I got it in a few hours. Haven't played it yet though. I'm still mentally preparing myself for the horrible voices.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Edit: Red, I obtained that Wii game, Arc Rise Fantasia. Surprised I got it in a few hours. Haven't played it yet though. I'm still mentally preparing myself for the horrible voices.
Tbh, I got used to the voices 3 hours into the game, maybe less.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Red, you're killing me here. This game better pick up soon. So far it's the most cliche thing I've ever played in my entire life. Well, SC2 was pretty cliche, but no one cares for the story in that game.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Cliched games don't bother me much as long as it still retains good RPG elements, which is why my favorite RPG series is the Tales series. >.>

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you wanna play something cliche, just look at the Tales of series lol.
The only Tales games I've played are Symphonia 1 and 2. Yea Red, I don't mind cliche games as long as it's executed properly. So far, this game is eh...

I'm 3 and half hours in and still hating on the voice actors.

-Bad guy approaches-
-Main character speaking in monotone voice- "Oh no. We have to hurry"

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
San made it to the 63 man bracket..

I never got out of first pools :< I probably could have if i didn't SD against peachkid and won against Izumi's MK (it went last hit game 3) though i would have not made it out of 2nd round pools.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
To be honest Ussi, I figure you wouldn't. How did you play 3 games against Izumi? From what I understand, you play each person in your pool twice, each on a random stage. The only time there's a third match is to break a tie.

And just to throw this out there, it's kinda weird not knowing any WC Ikes. Seems like EC, Midwest, Southwest are all tight with one another and then you have the WC Ikes doing...whatever it is they are doing. Wouldn't be surprised if they had their own website.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I would just like to know what's going on in the WC, that's all. I know Cal is divided into North and South. Then you have Nevada (Tilin is a really good Ike, not sure if he still mains him). It would just be good to have their input I guess.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that yesterday. Light is the only openly West Coast Ike I think I know. We have like 3 times that many just in Dallas.
Would this be the opposite of me being a closet West Coast Ike?

But yeah, more WC Ikes need to show up on SWF. Best coast.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I don't even go to tournaments when I'm in the WC (parents start annoying me when I turn on the Wii for like 2 hrs, don't even talk about a tourny haha), so I don't really think I count. It seems that NorCal is mostly melee players as well.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Oh.... I thought you were just Illinois. I didn't see that CA/IL. I guess I never checked because I thought you were definitely from IL.

So do you main Cali and secondary Illinois or vice versa? Or...

Top Bottom