• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Ike Boards Bi-Weeklies Thread ~ Come in and discuss ideas! ~

Would you like to see the bi-weeklies start up again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theeboredone

Smash Legend
OMG! Why Mansion?! MK and Olimar have a field day on that stage.

I'm starting to think that the BBR is just getting bored.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
We'll have to wait for the explanation for Mansion, i really am curious about that too

BUT, i bet Mr. Doom can get it to be called Mr. Doom's Mansion with his SDI to tech lololol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, the only stage I see viable for Ike is Distant Planet. We might do well on Mansion if it's not MK or Olimar. Port Town...can't even grab the edges on the platform so...our aether is pretty exposed. Those cars can kill early too.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
When you're not MK, the stagelist really encourages maining more than one character to handle all stages..

works for me :D Ike/Pika ^_^

Also for Port Town, our aether is usually exposed anyways.. against others, THEY don't get a ledge either which means we can exploit people who are used to sweet spotting ledges

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just think Port Town is a bad stage to play on in general. Too many variables affecting true skill. As far as bad recovery goes, the end of Ike's aether is too laggy, meaning we can be exposed pretty badly. Characters with multiple jumps will thrive on that stage. Hell, it's not even that bad for characters with minimal lag recovery. I know if you time DK's recovery to where he doesn't fall from the ground too much, he doesn't get much lag afterwards.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
just saw the new stage list, i agree on the order of neutrals very much, but honestly, they are jsut bored of the game now.
the uk's main TO decided that he was going to keep the same cagey stagelist we've always had, although he might add a few cp's (hope to god jj isnt one of then)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
just saw the new stage list, i agree on the order of neutrals very much, but honestly, they are jsut bored of the game now.
the uk's main TO decided that he was going to keep the same cagey stagelist we've always had, although he might add a few cp's (hope to god jj isnt one of then)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
There is no reason PTAD should be a legal stage.

I won't even make a long, drawn out post about it because it should be obvious.

In short--- let's screw over everyone except Jiggz, Kirby, Snake, and MK. And maybe G&W. Maybe.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to play around with it because it's a possible CP now.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I simply think we should experiment on it for now. I doubt any tourneys will pick up on them for now anyways so i wanna play with them competitively some how. Even if wifi makes it even worse to try it on :\

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
About port town, I'm concerned about the lack of edges, and camping on the sides of the stage. For Ike, though, it isn't that bad (possibly decent-->good) because it screws over all of our bad matchups except for MK and snake, and possibly lets us punish them, and Ike punishes hard (bthrow-->dash attack ~70-80% anyone?).

Ike's aether can get easily punished, but compared to other upB's that have to land onstage, it's not that bad, especially since there's a high chance we won't get hard punished from the time difference between the spinning sword and when we land.

Objectively, I have issues with PTAD and Luigi's though, although Ike really isn't that bad on any of them =/

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Distant Planet? I'm so putting Tane no Uta as the only song to be playing on that stage.
for PTAD, since you can't snap to the ledge, wouldn't jab -> Dtilt be much easier. I seem to screw that up more because of people ledge snapping. Maybe it's just me because I'm still a noob.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Only person I wouldn't want to face on Distant Planet is DDD. If for whatever reason you get CG'ed off to the side, GG. I like how you can keep reaethering on the edge when it rains. The opponent will always slide back down into you. Though I'm not sure if they can DI onto the edge and gimp us o_o. But we can always land on stage, slide off stage, and reaether I suppose.

PTAD makes me feel like we can take Oli there. Harass their crappy recovery (they can do the same to us), and punish hard. The lag after their Up+B is long enough to hit them with f-tilt or upsmash.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Screwing around on PTAD, Distant Planet, and Luigi's Mansion.
About Luigi's Mansion, a possible combo could be Dthrow -> Utilt on the bottom floor while the mansion is still there. Then again, computer players are stupid (Still get hit even with tech). They can, however, tech -> shield with Uthrow. Blech I hate the computer AI. Anyone else who can play with a friend, go try it.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yeah, Dthrow has better frame advantage. And Dthrow to Utilt with that ceiling is indeed a good option from what I can think. But I haven't played there since I got decent at Brawl so I'd have to check stuff out, of course.

I'd love to hit characters that have slow aerials with Dthrow to Fsmash if they tech the ceiling. That would be rather satisfying at a decent %.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Silly people, not understanding that PTAD should be legal. Go look at that topic about it: it's fine if you know how the stage works.

I'm also loving all of the EC's "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW, I DON'T WANNA LEARN THE STAGES I'LL JUST LEARN MK INSTEAD, BRAWL IS NO LONGER COMPETITIVE!" posts. Particularly ADHD adding his "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW, SORRY GUYS, I COULDN'T OUT VOTE THEM, BRAWL IS DONE!" post. What a joke. He shouldn't be in the BBR, he's simply a troll like Inui was/is.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Weegees mansion might be a good place to get a upthrow/dthrow > jab 1 > jab 1 > Bthrow > Dash attack combo going depending on the character and the house's integrity ~,~

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Screwing around on PTAD, Distant Planet, and Luigi's Mansion.
About Luigi's Mansion, a possible combo could be Dthrow -> Utilt on the bottom floor while the mansion is still there. Then again, computer players are stupid (Still get hit even with tech). They can, however, tech -> shield with Uthrow. Blech I hate the computer AI. Anyone else who can play with a friend, go try it.
Dude, that's been a given on mansion for ages lol. AiB used to have Mansion as a stage, so Ike mains who repped on the ladder knew some good moves there. On PS1's windmill, I always expect people to tech the d-throw, so I charge up-smash and time it right. Good stuff.

Niddo, I'm too lazy to read the reason behind PTAD, give me the jist.

It's not that I don't mind these stages, it's just that there are TOO many options given to the higher tiers. If anything, I think some should be taken out if these are put in. Having too many stages that is good for a select number of chars can be pretty bad. That's the reason behind people saying, "I'm just gonna pick up MK".

Edit: Yea Red, I saw that line. I wonder what the reason was behind that.

2nd Edit: DTK, after first jab, opponents can get out.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Basically, the jist is that there is always a safe zone, and always a warning. Heck, in one spot, the first 5 cars or so don't have hitboxes: they just fly through you like ghosts. They also don't start killing until about 50%-60%, not the exaggerated 30%. There is also the fact that even though there is no ledge, there is often a track to bounce off of.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
About the dthrow -> Utilt or whatever have you, I just played a friend on WiFi (still not good enough because of lag but meh). You could still DI when hitting the walls. Utilt might not reach if they DI enough out of it's reach. I thought of Ftilt, but never got the chance again.
Screw PTAD's patterns, I stick to the platforms just to avoid everything.

EDIT: @bored: I have not gotten into competitive smash until I joined this forum, so I didn't know.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So on semi-steep slopes Ike can just spam fair and DDD can't do anything except bair? rofl.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
That's if he isn't facing you

Ike is also one of the harder ones to time in doing the running CG up the slant, factor the fact that Ike is very uncommon and that DDD's would not probably practice the timing specifically :p

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So should we aim for YI(brawl) for the slanted platform against DDDs?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
it's not consistently slanted so it would be more situational :\, plus they would have to be on the platform too.

I definably noticed some slants on the floor of YI(Brawl) screwed up the CG when i tried it but those slants are so few and so those are situational in stopping the CG too -sigh- as they don't really stop the running, its just the angle you get sent in. It could be me screwing it up too but i got it consistent on FD ~_~

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was semi-Joking about the DDD part. But YI in general may not be too bad.. I think. I don't really like the stage much in general over other levels so I have no ingame experience to go by.

I still don't see how Pirate Ship is below Port Town Aero Dive.

I've just left my Wii on with an Ike and a Falco on the top platform for like 3 hours and they haven't gotten hit yet.

Not good for planking, obstacles are non-obtrusive as long as you look at the angle of the cannonball before getting near the opponent (or just go to the top platform). It should be pretty obvious when a cannonball won't be hitting anywhere near you, and you have plenty of time to avoid it unless your opponent is trying to hit you into it.

Almost all forms of camping away from the ship eventually become severely disadvantaged due to stage transitions and obstacles where you can get punished hard for getting out from that position.

Water camping is only at most a decent strategy, since there are many ways to deal with it (the most obvious being avoiding attacks until the opponent lands in the water again and then punish).

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
IIRC there are only a few characters that D3 can CG up slopes and I don't believe Ike is one of them.

Anyway if anyone ever tests Bthrow on slopes we'll see if we get anything good there but from the looks of it nobody here has the debug code.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Lets not forget fthrow up slopes too!

And the fact that we slide on slants too. and more OoS options are gonna be messed up for some people. In fact i hope most shield grabs will start to fail now

I'm not near my wii otherwise i wanna see if we can walk of aerials too QD to the other ledge on distant planet

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'm going to go ahead and request that, in addition to Ussi's recommended stages, we also add Yoshi's Island (Melee) to the list of counterpicks. It's currently in the counter/banned category (Along with Pirate Ship, which we are disregarding for obvious reasons [ask if you don't know why]) but I see no reason to not broaden our horizons and take on one extra stage.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
OoS? No.

Bthrow to Aether, however, does combo on large slants and the ending Aetherslide means that even if they get out of the original Aether hit, you've fled to safety.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Anyone think Aether OoS will be viable on slants?
Depends on the character. I wouldn't try it against MK.

And you are correct San, characters will never get hit by the cannonballs on the top platform. They simply don't go that high. The stage also has a pattern to it: King of Lions -> Wind/Rock/Cannonballs/King of Lions -> King of Lions -> Wind/Rock/Cannonballs/King of Lions -> King of Lions, ect. There is always at least one King of Lions ship in between each major stage event.

I should go bug Kirk about sending me a picture of the cannonball hitboxes through debug mode. He's still working on Brawl-, isn't he?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm kinda on the fence with adding all these stages. This is the last bi-weekly, and a lot is riding on the line for some people. It can work in their favor, but at the same time, screw them over bad. I see Light and Ussi are for it (does Light even get a say if he's not gonna be here?), but I think it's only appropriate everyone have a say. My personal opinion would be that if we put in 3 new stages, we take out 3, just to prevent overload. I mean it shouldn't matter much for this, but in an actual tourny, it would suck bad to give an opposing character who is good at so many stages that many options.

Anyways, if I had to take a vote on if we should add them or not, I would say no. Simply because I don't see Texas adding these stages.

Top Bottom