• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you get better!

pockeystick

Smash Apprentice
What are ways to get better at melee.

1. Should I keep playing against level 9 computers.
2. Should I go to tournaments!
3. Learn from a professional.

I don't know what to do, I'm so desperate to become a professional

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I would say never fight cpus other than to chain throw or something.

The most inportant thing to know is right off the bat is master your mind because as of right now I bet your mind isn't right to win. I can't say I have a perfect mind but I know you need self mind control don't get mad relax and focus. If you want to be the best do it you are the only one that can really stop you. It won't be oh grab throw combo win at first. Learn from your flaws cover your weakness if you can't get rid of it. If you want to be uber pro it isn't uber easy unless you started off as a pro in this game and when to brawl.

But fight as many people as you can learn, be humble, control your mind. Don't give up I,m a pichu player I know this better than anyone. If you pichu to learn about pichu tell me I,ve found a fair amount of stuff for him to help his metagame out a lot. Anything esle?

Vro

Smash Lord
There is no easy answer to this question. Don't confuse desperation with dedication. Becoming a good player takes time and experience, something you can't earn overnight.

I'm going to address your points, then leave some starting grounds to becoming a pro level player.

First, computers in Melee aren't exactly the best training buddies. Sorry kid, but nothing replaces good ol' fashion competition. Many scrubs assume that higher level computers are actually harder to fight. It's completely false. Computers are ignorant and never adapt. Charge forward smashes and they will always walk into them.

Wak's Advanced How to Play video is a great starting place if you're unfamiliar with advanced aspects of Melee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

Of course you should go to tournaments! There's no way to prove how good you are without kicking butts! Most importantly, tournaments give you experience. I mean, how are you going to level up without grinding?

Use Smashboards to your advantage! There's a sticky called "How to Improve." It's a great place for advancing the mind and attitude from scrub to pro instantly. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106060

There's no other information I can provide unless you have a more specific question. The journey to becoming a ______ master is a long and arduous one.

Zodiac

Smash Master
What are ways to get better at melee.

1. Should I keep playing against level 9 computers.
2. Should I go to tournaments!
3. Learn from a professional.

I don't know what to do, I'm so desperate to become a professional
Im someone who has tried every method there is to improve. and Frankly I cant tell you which one did it for me, I can just tell you when something clicked and I got better, take a look at my join date, Ever since then I've been smashing and trying to get better.

At first it was just against cpu's...doesnt work...never will, and then it was agaisnt one person who was better than me. but not by much, that kind of works. once I got as good as him we advanced against each other for a long time. And then we hit a stagnant point, it also kind of worked, but through the two years I played just him and didnt go to tournaments....I didnt get THAT much better. And then last year I started traveling to tournaments. Now im much better.

take the information for what you will

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
My advice is to find people better than you and play them often.

If you have a close friend who plays at a similar level, you'll help each other improve.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I think playing against CPU`s some how ruins my game. Generally I play melee with a friend every weekend couple hours or more but between weekends I play against CPU`s and I think that just makes my game worse.

But I don`t think it`s wise to be five days without any practice. So I guess I wanna ask what do you guys do when you are several days without any person to play with?

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
^

Sit in training mode and work on your flashy movements, like Wavedashing and what not.
I main Samus, so working on Super Wavedash between games is great.
Oh and I second Ice Climbers so I'm working on my Desync game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
just spend like 10-15 minutes each day or every other day practicing your technical stuff, make sure you're consistent. beat up on level 1 cpu's if you need to. it's not good to fight them for long periods of time or anything though, since then you develop bad habits, and fighting against humans is infinitely better for practice.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Here is how you get better:

1. Learn the fundamentals
2. Practice technical aspects
3. Play people
4. Lose
5. Figure out why you lost
6. Come u with solutions
7. Play more

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Don't try to become pro. Just have fun. Smash isn't a profession, a field of study, or an art. It's something else entirely. That's why we love it. Don't focus on getting better so much, ease up a good deal. Chances are you won't go pro. I won't. But who cares? Just chill out and smash.

But if you feel like you'll have more fun by getting better, then I'd recommend to stop playing against level 9's, only play against level 1's for tech skill practice, and play people. You want to be playing people better than you and people at your level consistently. If you don't have both, it's incredibly hard to improve. For once I have both of those at the same time, and I became amazingly better nearly overnight. I was finally able to put into practice what the better players were telling me. Aside from that, master one character. Just one. It doesn't need to be a top tier, just pick one that you love and go for it. Make that define how you play. As for me, I don't play Melee, I play Falcon.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Play people who own you. It's the best way to improve cause you can realise what you're doing wrong.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I've found playing Level 9s is just horrible for your game play. Theres more than enough reasons why but I need to finish this essay, besides that I'm in the same position you are. I usually just practice CGing LV1 CPUs or practice tech skill. (anything from wd off ledge>laser to SHFFLing n-airs with Marth, it can really help if you get all these little things down and apply it to your gameplay with friends or something)

platform** not ledge

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Play against level 9 computers and practice unnecessary technical skill, like waveshining fox/falcos, shine-bair, etc.

:3

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ruby i thought you had double posted for a second there. Those avatars are deceptively similar for being so different.

john!

Smash Hero
When I fight lvl 9's they powershield f*cking everything, then I get pissed so I grab them, and they never DI out of chaingrabs so it's pointless to try and practice them, so I try and edgeguard but it's dumb since I always know where they are going to go, so I charge a smash which they walk into, then I go and watch grass grow or something.

PLAY HUMANS or lvl 3's

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
You play in tournaments and practice, there aren't much ways to get better besides that.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Go to tournaments, and play a crapload of friendlies in addition to the tourney itself. And find someone in your area that can totally **** you, and practice with him.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
The OP is an obvious troll imo

lol
So are these people.

Trolling begets trolling.

So are these people.

Trolling begets trolling.
I'm telling you, level 7 DK is legit.
The OP is an obvious troll imo

lol
Play against level 9 computers and practice unnecessary technical skill, like waveshining fox/falcos, shine-bair, etc.

:3
LV9 Luigi is pretty good in teams but flops in singles.

I think he just gets nervous.
u cud definatley come c me and the crew....
but going 2 tournaments helps majorly
I believe the word that goes into that blank is "Pokemon"

If you are desperate, it will never happen.
you should go beat azen and chaosknight more.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Probably so but the some comments definitely helped me understand what I should do to get better. ♥
I'd rather go play some Melee at someones house and practice a bit before just going straight into a tourney. I is want to go to someones house and do this one weekend.

QED

Smash Apprentice
I think you generally want to practice against two types of players:

1. Someone who is better than you (mid-high competitive level... aka people who place well in many tournaments) and has the patience to help your game (most of the guys around me are great people but some as$holes will blatantly sigh with discontempt and/or trashtalk)

2. Someone who is at the same level as you and is willing to develop with you.

With these two people you want to impelement the knowledge you have gained from:
1. online threads such as Smashboard
2. tutorial videos
3. match videos
4. experience from playing

If you get an eye to appreciate really simple things like good dodges/rolls, spacings and grabs, I think you are on the path of becoming a better player (Hugs ain't doing much comboing but he is amazing).

Tournaments:

Go to them! Playing in a pressured situation is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much different than playing friendlies against good people. It'll help you out on the mind game factor.

Recordings:

Recording and reviewing your own matches help out a lot in pointing out your goods and bads.

Zunari

Smash Apprentice
Play people and play for fun.

If you are not enjoying playing the game then it is unlikely you will improve and it's when you are having the most fun when you play smarter or more creatively.
Practise on level 1 cpu's to get a feel of how to combo or throw them because against a human it's important to know how far they will go when hit with a certain attack, so that you can form combo's.
As for tech skill, just play fox every now and then.

Beanman

Smash Cadet
Play and get wrecked. Really. I have been wanting to get better for the past two weeks and have played match upon match against cmoney, ballistics, and the red sparrow. Hopefully dec.5 I can jigs mirror against Hbox, get wrecked, have an epiphany, then become Hmanmada or something.

Oh and don't just play one character constantly. Learn the timings of all the characters so you can read better.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
so i was looking through this thread

and saw something that made me really happy

look at the new sig

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
1. main a decent character (at this point if you use anybody worse than captain falcon you're goin nowhere fast)

2. find someone in your area who is around your same skill level and also uses a decent character. play him a lot, and think about your game. record friendlies if you can, it's much easier to see how and why you suck when you're watching videos of yourself. work on your strengths and weakness and ****

3. go to tournaments, get *****, play a lot of friendlies. talk **** on swf to random people before the tournaments to make sure they play you, do a lot of money matches, continue to enter tournaments despite the fact that you'll be getting harshly ***** in the beginning

4. don't get caught up in improving your tech skill, cause in the end, it doesn't really matter that much. it's not really how fast you move that matters, it's how often you make mistakes. just work on tech skill enough to where you can do whatever you want during a match without ****ing up most of the time, and then slow it down, think about your moves, and always try to work on playing smarter

5. spacing.

6. drink at least 8 ounces of gorilla semen per day, it has the nutrients you need to become a better player

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
6. drink at least 8 ounces of gorilla semen per day, it has the nutrients you need to become a better player

Yep, that sure helps me alot =D

Top Bottom