• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

Luxor

Smash Champion
Looking at the frame data in my *cough* new and improved frame data thread *cough*, I was surprised to see what a huge autocancel window Bair has. Considering that Dsmash is frame 6, there is definitely some potential for this Bair-->Dsmash on block thing. I'll look into it with all the AC/LC permutations, etc.

Oh and tap jump on + Cstick back = ****. Also, you really shouldn't need to change L to attack to AC Uair when you can actually buffer it out of a short hop- you just have to tilt the control stick up very slightly, then hit Jump+A. Pretty legit.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
L would simply help people with the timing, it's not like i was saying it's a necessity, i know when i was learning how to AC Uair i had quite a bit of trouble hitting A in the stupidly small window between upsmash and buffering Uair

also, AC Uair across the stage after a kill= epic mindgames

meepxzero

Smash Master
Hey can anyone tell me what a frame trap is? Like in the easiest way possible. I kind of get what it means, but i wanna make sure if i use the word im using it correctly.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Hey can anyone tell me what a frame trap is? Like in the easiest way possible. I kind of get what it means, but i wanna make sure if i use the word im using it correctly.
I don't think it's possible to use it incorrectly since it's just casually thrown around, lol. I always defined a frame trap as "a situation where the receiver has a very tight frame window in which to make a decision or be punished," but that's a bad definition tbh. Pretty much everybody's Dthrow counts as a frame trap by that definition. Now that I think about it, a better definition would be "a followup or sequence of moves that is guaranteed if, within a tight frame window, the receiver makes no action or the wrong action." It's really a vague, general, bad, misleading, meaningless term anyway. It just means "hey y after x is a good followup."

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I always thought a frame trap was a setup where if they dropped shield to punish you, they were punished instead.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Well, that kinda falls under my "definitions." Sorta.

Anyway, I need help SHTL'ing. I can't really do it with standard controls (not without a bunch of work, anyway) so I'm using Y to jump and X as special. I jump and mash x three times, and I get the SHTL but with a grounded lag laser at the end. Does that mean I'm pressing X too fast/too slow/too early/too late or what? Help would be appreciated.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
it means you're pressing it too slow.

if you still have trouble try using Y with the tip of your thumb and B with the knuckle of your thumb (TKD's Method)

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Yesterday I was messing around with Fox in training mode, so I got a Giant Mushroom and I managed to do a Gattling Combo by accident(Dash Attack to Up Smash), but I tried to do it in normal size but it didn't work. :( The timing used was exactly the same way I do it with Falco(In normal size)

Is it possible to do on a normal size? Or is it only possible with Giant Fox?

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
lol I did this a long time ago and never worked as normal fox no matter how fast I did it.
I think it's only possible as giant fox.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
what he said ^
a while back i took a lot of time looking into this but it's not possible as normal fox.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
giant gattling combo.
now we just need to wait for the sbr to add warioware to their ridiculous list of 'viable' levels.

I was mucking around with L for jump, and was doing sh ac bair with L and the cstick and wasnt touching the control stick, but noticed that if I hit the cstick too quick (I assume inputting the bair before I leave the ground during the first few frames of jump) that fox will jump backwards a small amount.

now this isnt anything important or useful, but just so I know the game a little better, what exactly is causing this?

edit- kk, sorry about that.

Did a little merging for you, please use the edit button from now on, or wait 24 hours until your next post.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
I think halberd is one of the best stages for fox because of the small length of the ceiling :)

I have come to realize that what you said is not accually that accurate. I allways loved Halberd and Halberd is FAR from a bad stage for Fox......However, if you consider a stage like Japes for example, Fox will only need to deal around 15% more for the U-Smash to kill (while killing Fox would be a pain thanks to his AMAZING momentum cancel.)

so in other word....the taller the stage, the better it is for Fox accually.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
giant gattling combo.
now we just need to wait for the sbr to add warioware to their ridiculous list of 'viable' levels.

I was mucking around with L for jump, and was doing sh ac bair with L and the cstick and wasnt touching the control stick, but noticed that if I hit the cstick too quick (I assume inputting the bair before I leave the ground during the first few frames of jump) that fox will jump backwards a small amount.

now this isnt anything important or useful, but just so I know the game a little better, what exactly is causing this?

edit- kk, sorry about that.
Dude the same thing was happening to me and my buddy when I was showing him the best way to do stuff outta shield. We would sometimes end up actually controlling our jump with the C stick. I wonder what this is.

EDIT: Oh yea and here is an example of a frame trap

fox: U throw
fox: AC uair
them: air dodge toward ground
fox: U smash
them: KO

(This is a very rough idea of it)

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
What killer do you guys use the most apart from U-Smash?

I played Melee Fox so I still Shine Spike :) even its pretty crap now.

I also use D-Smash quite a bit too.

Just curious as to what others use since Fox is by no means a "one dimensional character" and lots of people have different play styles.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
My main killing moves ON stage are U-Smash, D-Smash and B-Air.

OFF the edge for me is N-air, B-air, Shine (sometimes.....since some characters have **** recovery and can`t really gimp me if I miss) and Footstool...... and sometimes Drill. (sometimes I SD myself with Drill (while killing my opponent) when I have more stocks then them.........very risky though.lol)

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
ok so i know buffering is 10 frames. but it seems that if you want to buffer a grab it is even shorter.i believe this is because near the end of the 10 frames if you buffer a grab you get a shield instead. my question is whether theres away to avoid the shield coming out, if not then does anyone know how many frames you have to buffer a grab from e.g. a drill ?

Luxor

Smash Champion
If you're still holding the grab button at the end of the 10-frame buffer window the game reads it as a buffered shield. To buffer a grab, in that 10-frame window you have to press and release grab. So the answer to your question is still 10.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
1-3% depending on how stale it is. The damage barely changes over distance

When a laser connects it's most likely going to do 1%

Psyco

Smash Journeyman
Oh. I thought it does 2-3 at close range and 1-2 at a certian distance? I don't see 1% all the time...

DarkAura

Smash Lord
it may be 2% then, im judging from memory i haven't played the game in forever, my apologies for the mistake.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
depends on who you ask, there are a lot of different ways.

My personal style is switching L to special but nobody really fancies that

the style im sure most people use is to press Y with the tip of your thumb and then hit B with the knuckle

when it comes to practicing i have 4 words: Training Mode, Battlefield, Repetition

JOE!

Smash Hero
allrighty, besides the allmighty Upsmash (TRY A SOMERSAULT), and Uair, what other moves are kill-potential with Fox?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Ehhh, Situational. I use it more for damaging purposes and Punishes for laggy moves. then I re-set my space and camp

crifer

Smash Lord
Guys do you know if we can usmash OOS lucas rising dair, if he hits our shield? or should I usmash without hiding in the shield, in order to simply overpower it?

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Guys do you know if we can usmash OOS lucas rising dair, if he hits our shield? or should I usmash without hiding in the shield, in order to simply overpower it?
not sure, i would think that the knock back would be too much.most likely would work when power shielded tho.

Kuares

Pizza
Is there a list of character's recoveries that can be shined, nair'ed, bair'ed? Or something that shows how to edge gaurd certain character?

The reason I asked was because I was able to shine spike a Falco recovery with Firebird by going under him(even if going under Falco is a bad idea).

Top Bottom