• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Okay, the Fox Boards have too many repeated threads made, and many threads about stupid things. I'm currently trying to improve these Boards with some help, and I feel that it would help if we had something like this to use. Hopefully this will be stickied so everyone will see it.

So if you have any Question that you want answered, just post here instead of making a new thread please! The only way that this can work is if people use it, so please, use this as a resource for your questions!

THE FOX FAQ

Introductory Questions
[collapse=Why play Fox?]If you enjoy a character with quick powerful moves, fast jumps, and good ground mobility. Then he is for you, but you have to know there's quite a bit of cons to go along with this

You do not want to play Fox if you expect to survive to 200%, he's easily gimped and light weight so you got to treat him with care. His fast fall often leads to a quick 0-40% depending on how well they can juggle him. There are 3 match-ups that you have to watch out for and that's Pikachu, Ice Climbers and Sheik.[/collapse]

[collapse=Control Schemes]Gamecube controller:
X/Y to Special, for easier Short Hop Triple Lasering. Letting you slide your thumb from either button left as jump to the special button and repeat.

L/R to Jump, for easier Jump-Canceling as well as Retreating Fair and Full Hop Laser. Used for JC Upsmash if you decide to turn Tap jump off.

DpadUp to Jump, easier Short Hop Triple Lasering. Works differently from the technique previously noted due to the fact that you can use both thumbs to separate the work.

Tap Jump off, this is done for those who want to Shorthop U-Air but can't do the short hop without doing the second jump afterwards. It makes more sense to use the C-stick for the Up-air anyways so you can leave the control stick for mobility.[/collapse]
[collapse=Frame Data]For a lot of the moves but not all. Frame data can be found Here[/collapse]

Gameplay Questions
What's the general Fox
[collapse=Best/worst stage]This really depends on what you want out of the stage. Low ceiling's help with Upsmash/Fair kills. Large stages help with getting space and the laser game. Platforms are alway good for Fox, but it depends on how well the other player uses them.[/collapse]
[collapse=Character Counters]The three characters to watch for as Fox are Ice Climber, Pikachu, and Sheik. All are due to simple tactics involving grab/tilts.

Popo actually has a chaingrab by himself, which gives time for Nana to get over and begin the main chaingrab. Fox's attack range isn't long enough to approach and not get pivot grabbed.

The only thing Pikachu has special for Fox is the D-throw chaingrab from 0-54% that goes to about 100% and can be followed up with Upsmash if you're not watching. Past that, the match-up's alright if you don't get grabbed.

Sheik has an Ftilt lock from 20-60%(?). Sheik can follow it up at 100%(?) with upsmash. At this point you would want to SDI into Sheik to get the second hit, as the second hit has less knockback[/collapse]
Edgegaurding
[collapse=Fighting Meta-knight]One of the most complete Match-up Discussion to ever be had, read all about it right here[/collapse]

[collapse=Recovering]Fox has a very good recovery if you know how to use it. There's 4 things that help with this feat.

A. Firefox
This move is used to moving in any direction. The start-up lag makes it susceptible to gimp's so don't use it when your opponent is in a position to do something about it. It's useful sometimes when you want an opponent to guess the angle you're going to recover, whether it'll be to a platform, on the stage or to the ledge.

Many people don't know or don't care for is angling Firefox downwards to grab the ledge. To do this you have to angle downwards, and after you blast, off get the control stick away from the down position. If you don't Fox'll bypass the ledgesnap and fall down to his death.​
B. Illusion
Completely horizontal in movement, Has pretty bad priority so it's somewhat easy to be hit out of. It's not the same as Falco's in timing so some people mess up their attack.

Illusion can be cancel'd to devrease/increase the distance it travels The way you do this is by pressing the B-Button during the time Fox is moving between the beginning and end points of the move. A short cancel is at the begining and a long cancel is at the end.

This is also a popular move to get back onto the stage from the ledge. Thing you have to watch for when doing this is whether the opponent is towards the middle the stage or pressuring you by the ledge. Chances of not getting punished is better when they're closer to the ledge, but still doesn't have the best chances.

A tactic that you could use is Illusioning repeatedly towards the ledge to bring them to one of the 2 postions. If they go for the center, just get back on the stage without the illusion, if they go towards the ledge, you can either illusion, ledge-drop fair, or ledge attack.​

C. Fair
When you jump, if Fox helicopter kicks during the ascent, that total height gained increases greatly. Simply put, Rising Fair.

Don't do it when you don't have to or it's a bad time to. I've seen videos where a Fox tried this vs. Falco and ended up losing his jump to a laser causing a loss of stock.

Also remember you can move back when you rising fair. Many people always move forward doing this and the common outcome is that the opponent was waiting for it and used a move to out prioritize Fox. Don't let that happen.​
D. Shine
Shine stalling actually, repeatedly using the reflector in the air greatly reduces Fox's falling speed. While it isn't exactly used to recover, it's great for not landing in dangerous positions, or giving yourself time to think.

Don't stall repeatedly next to an opponent, or you'll get beat.​

[/collapse]
[collapse=Why is Dair not linking?]Dair has 12 frames of landing lag. There's a 2 frame window in between hits. So they atleast 12-14 +start-up for your next move to recover and put up their shield/whatever.

I don't believe it has anything to do your fast falling, more to do with percent. My numbers aren't exacts and it's likely character dependant so don't quote me, 0-10% nothing other than grab will work, 10-40% uptilt should start working. At high percents, dair puts characters on the ground, this's the point where up smash is guaranteed.

There's always people's DI that could be stopping follow ups. At which point, sour-spot Bair is a good option.[/collapse]

Technique Questions
[collapse=How do ya SHTL?]You short hop, and then you fire laser 3 times. This can be done the hard way. Pressing X/Y->Pressing Bx3->(Repeat).

There's the method of changing control settings to make it easier. Setting either X/Y to Special puts the laser and jump right next to each other. There's another option of setting L/R to jump, though it's not as popular for this(but useful for other techniques).

Also, Rizk18 made a good point on the D-pad
If I were to use GCC, I would change the Up D-pad to jump and have my left thumb on the D-pad and right thumb on the B button. It works great for me but I don't think it's for everybody.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Upsmash tricks(Out of Shield and Reverse Upsmash)]To Upsmash out of shield, you need to Jump-Cancel Upsmash while shielding.

To reverse Upsmash, you must run, RAR, and then Jump-Cancel Upsmash[/collapse]

[collapse=AC aerials]All of Fox's aerials can be auto-canceled pretty easily. 3 of which can be done in a shorthop and the other 2 which need to be done some other way.

The short hop'd aerials from easiest to hardest goes from Bair, Uair, and lastly Fair.

The aerials you have to set up to autocancel are dair and nair. This can be done 4 different ways.
-Out of a Full hop
-Onto a platform
-Down an incline
-From the ledge

Nair doesn't really need to be cancel'd because it has very low landing lag.[/collapse]

[collapse=Illusion cancel]You want to use an illusion cancel when you want to either extend/shorten the distance of your recovery or move in a sliding matter when you land to mess with opponents attempts at punishes.

How to do this is when Fox actually begins moving in the move, at any point between the beginning and the end, press B. Once you get the hang of this it should be easy to choose between a long cancel and a short one.

One other thing to note is that the timing on a grounded cancel is different than the timing on the air one.[/collapse]

Move Questions
[Collapse=What are Shine's properties]Shine(aka Reflector) has 3 frames of invincibility on start-up, then an attack. It also reflects, but you have to hold B down till you get hit by the projectile, or else you'll end up getting hit for some reason.

Another feature of Shine is that it stops upward momentum from jumps and leaves Fox floating for a 1/3(?) of a second, which makes it useful for stalling. It lifts you up and away if used after getting launched, which has led to me dying one time.

Also, if you reflect a projectile the reflector acts just like the regular shield for 5 frames(?), meaning you can jump, roll or spot dodge right afterwards.[/collapse]

[collapse=Dtilt's use]Dtilt has a moderatly long low hitbox but it's not a good ledge poke. It's weak enough that you can follow up with an upair at high percents with the right hit. The only problem is trying to get the hit in.

There's 3 different hit trajectories that can occur depending on the distance you hit the enemy with. The furthest one send them up at almost 90' angle. The closest one sends them out at less than 45', and the middle one sends them in between those two angles. [/collapse]

Random Questions
[collapse=Why is Fox so Sexy]
There are many sexy characters in game of Brawl. Captain Falcon, Fox, Ike, Snake, Wolf, and Zamus are all clearly more sexy than the rest of the cast but what is it that makes Fox sexy?

First we must define what the term 'sexy' means. The second definition of the word on dictionary.com say "sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality".

Now because sexual interests vary from person to person, traits one person finds attractive might be repulsive to another. Let's look at Fox's traits, first and most importantly he is a fox and that gives a wide range of traits to be had. He has fur, a tail, pointed ears, a snout, everything a true fox has. These traits give fair advantages most other characters don't have. Being a soft and warm as a blanket would make any man attractive to women during the winter months. Fox is also quite fit and has firm body frame which all sexy characters must have to a degree.

There are a few things about Fox that can be deemed as 'unsexy' such as his abnormally large forehead. Most people are able to overlook this trait due to the amount of positives associated with him. Although some people still hold this gripe against him nonetheless.
[/collapse]

What people play Fox?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Here is my question to start this off:

What is a helicopter kick? I know that it has to do with Fair, but what is it? Is it just a name for a regular Fair?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Use fair right as you use your second jump and you'll receive a large vertical boost.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Use fair right as you use your second jump and you'll receive a large vertical boost.
You can do this with your first jump as well. Helicopter kick is nothing more than a nickname for the rising vertical momentum Fox's f-air has.

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
How do you Usmash out of a shield?

And I know this is unrelated to Fox, but... how do you do request a topic to get stickied?

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
How do you Usmash out of a shield?

And I know this is unrelated to Fox, but... how do you do request a topic to get stickied?
While holding down Shield....

Tap jump on
- push up
- press A

Tap jump off
- push up
- press jump
- immediately(slide thumb) follow with A
(You do not have to let go of jump)

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I'll keep the thread going with this.

Is there anything a shine can combo into. Even at high percents. If not should I just never follow after a shine and only shoot with the laser.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Technical description of the usmash out of shield:
the usmash out of shield is called a JC usmash, or Jump Canceled usmash. You perform it by doing a usmash during the frames of a jump before you've left the ground.

Shine:
The shine doesn't combo on flatground, but does a ******** wall combo (that is escapable, but still works): you just keep shining them against the wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vMjA2AqKeM (@4:10)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm missing a lot of info for Fox. Would any of you agree on this?:

:fox: Fox
Best: Final Destination
Worst: Lylat Cruise
It's for this thread, discussing each character's 3 general best and worst stages.

If no, suggestions?

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
What's wrong with Lylat Cruise? I think Battlefield is more suited for Fox than Final Destination.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I've just recently picked up Fox and was practicing the dash shine, and decided to change R to special to help me pull it off. Is this a good idea? Or is there a better alternative?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Whatever feels comfortable for you, although questions like this are better off in the Q&A thread.

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking... How would Jungle Japes do as a Fox stage? Fox can do a ton of useful tricks on the stage.

For instance, this video shows some of the stuff he can do with illusion on the platforms, and it got me thinking: wouldn't this be a very good way of hit&run tactics? Continuously run from the opponent with illusion, using the ledges for lots of invincibility frames, and whenever you get any breathing room, fire a few lasers and continue running away. you've got a ton of options for moving, and can always use the river for faster transportation! :laugh:

Of course, if you don't want to play a stalling game, you can use it for fast and near-immediate edgeguarding (0:10 and 0:17), as well as very good escape options (0:28, though the timing is more difficult with a ledge hop, and 0:26, where you just drop from the ledge and sideB).

Plus, your get up attack covers the entire platform, making it more difficult to edgeguard you. It's also fairly easy to get early kills by edgeguarding on the left side with Dair and Shine.

Now, the bad part is that it has a freakin' huge ceiling, which means Usmash won't kill for like an extra 30%. But, Dsmash and Fsmash at the sides leads to insanely low KO's.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Do the advantages outweigh the inability to KO well with Usmash?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Lylat is actually probably my favorite Fox stage...
the platforms as just like...perfect heights for him, and it's a wide stage.
Since his upB is so much better, he has very much less trouble recovering than the other two spacies
He can combo like anything there...mainly due to the platform spacing and how wide the level is.
He can shine opponents under the stage...meaning death for them sometimes...

I don't know... this is probably, like I said, my favorite tourney Fox stage.

The ones I mainly have trouble on are Yoshi's and BF against some characters...

I get the feeling that some chars can zone Fox REALLY well on BF... against others, it's a great level. Luigi and Lucario are both pains there, but against a lot of other chars, it's fine

Yoshi's just always feels awkward to me... the spacing never really sits right with me. I'll play on it...it's just not my favorite.... that and it lags more on wifi than like any other stage for me...sometimes dropping random items.... hah

On a side note...a lot of people are CPing Luigi's Mansion lately... it's a GREAT stage for Fox, so don't worry...utilt combos are nightmares, uthrow tech chase into usmash works if you read it...and you can kill out the top hole and refill your smashes instantly. I love it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lylat is actually probably my favorite Fox stage...
the platforms as just like...perfect heights for him, and it's a wide stage.
Since his upB is so much better, he has very much less trouble recovering than the other two spacies
He can combo like anything there...mainly due to the platform spacing and how wide the level is.
He can shine opponents under the stage...meaning death for them sometimes...

I don't know... this is probably, like I said, my favorite tourney Fox stage.

The ones I mainly have trouble on are Yoshi's and BF against some characters...

I get the feeling that some chars can zone Fox REALLY well on BF... against others, it's a great level. Luigi and Lucario are both pains there, but against a lot of other chars, it's fine

Yoshi's just always feels awkward to me... the spacing never really sits right with me. I'll play on it...it's just not my favorite.... that and it lags more on wifi than like any other stage for me...sometimes dropping random items.... hah

On a side note...a lot of people are CPing Luigi's Mansion lately... it's a GREAT stage for Fox, so don't worry...utilt combos are nightmares, uthrow tech chase into usmash works if you read it...and you can kill out the top hole and refill your smashes instantly. I love it.
You actually use the uthrow for tech chasing? interesting......

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You actually use the uthrow for tech chasing? interesting......
It throws them against the ceiling and they bounce back down to the ground. If they tech on the ceiling, you can attack it. If not, they have to get up, which always put you in the advantage.

What's weird is that I find opponents usually roll towards the center of the stage, which just screams "USMASH ME!!" ... I don't really get it, but you can get a nice little tech chase.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
So I just picked up fox and I like how he feels. What stages do I counterpick with him? I was thinking Corneria because it suits his recovery and his Usmash.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you should counterpick stages that you are comfortable on. Of those, you should counterpick the stage that either forces your opponent to change character to a character you can better handle on that stage, or a stage that maximizes your advantage over your opponent. Basically, play on all the counterpicks for a while w/ your friends in friendlies, and see which ones you like the most, and how each stage offers advantages you like for fox in specific matchups.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Fox will usually fair well enough on Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Stadium 1. PS1 offers a low enough ceiling for U-smash kills and you can also kill off the side easier due to a shorter distance. The ledge is also tricky so if you can knock them under it it's 1 stock lost for most characters.

If you somehow manage to trap them in that small pit in the mountain terrain, you can shine them for a while and U-smash finish.

I think those two stages work pretty well for Fox. Luigi's Mansion can sometimes cost you against heavy/stronger characters though.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
don't CP luigi's mansion unless you're 100% sure the other guy doesn't play MK. Otherwise, you'll be counterpicking against yourself. While fox does do decently on that stage, MK does AMAZINGLY, and it's already the worst matchup you're likely to see at a tourney.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
don't CP luigi's mansion unless you're 100% sure the other guy doesn't play MK. Otherwise, you'll be counterpicking against yourself. While fox does do decently on that stage, MK does AMAZINGLY, and it's already the worst matchup you're likely to see at a tourney.
While I definitely disagree that MK is the worst matchup that you'll see (as is known...I'm not trying to start it up yet again here), I certainly don't believe that MK is anywhere near unbeatable there. It is his advantage, but Fox can win against him on that stage... especially if the MK is just picking him because he's good there.

I can see why you wouldn't take a MK main there as your CP. that makes sense, but a non-main really shouldn't be a problem... The stage is an advantage for Fox too.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
who's a common tourney character (Midwest doesn't count) that ***** fox more than MK?

I'm not saying MK is unbeatable there, i'm saying that he's at a better advantage there than fox is, and he already has an advantage over fox w/o that stage, and choosing that stage only makes it worse. Almost everyone who plays brawl has at least one seconday that is almost if not as good as their main, oftentimes it is MK, so it wouldn't be uncommon for you to CP Mansion and have them switch to MK, and you still get *****. If for some reason their MK is terrible, and you would beat it even on Mansion, and you lost to some other character of theirs, then it falls under one of the situations where you'd counterpick that stage that i already listed.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
While I definitely disagree that MK is the worst matchup that you'll see (as is known...I'm not trying to start it up yet again here), I certainly don't believe that MK is anywhere near unbeatable there. It is his advantage, but Fox can win against him on that stage... especially if the MK is just picking him because he's good there.

I can see why you wouldn't take a MK main there as your CP. that makes sense, but a non-main really shouldn't be a problem... The stage is an advantage for Fox too.
It's MK's best stage and Fox is at a 75:25 disadvantage to him anyway (IMO, I think it's listed as 70:30, or it should be) so you aren't going to win here unless

1.Your Fox is amazing and their MK is decent to bad
2. Your Fox is decent and their MK is horrible

That's about it, ban that against MK. And Pika is by far Fox's worst matchup, 90-10.

So in conclusion, you are wrong, never use this against MK, no matter if it's a main or not, because think about it (that's the Fox Boards' problem FTMP), one person's main could be worse than another guy's secondary, the player's skill is more important than whether of not the character is the person's main or not.

Jboy313

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Braunz
I don't think Shine can combo, it can disrupt potential combos since it is so fast, but I'm pretty sure it can't combo.
i seen a video of someone doing the downwaveshine thing (wavedash down then shine)
on training mode and he was doing to soo fast that the combo counter thing was going up..

Jboy313

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Braunz
i know you ppl dont want to have new threads for questions but how do u make a new thread..i want it for other sections like 1 player mode and stuff..when i try to make a new thread it says i not able to or i need to get account activated or something..

K 2

Smash Lord
Look about 1 inch above all the threads (on the left hand side). It will say "new post" and you simply click on that.

Top Bottom