• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitstun/shield stun Thread

kupo15

Smash Hero
Too good leaf. Im pretty sure that will work out fine!! Someone needs to tell PW! I feel bad for him, we are always changing our minds! lol

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
So we wouldn't be making every single hit a tumble animation? We would just make the hitstun treat each hit as if it were a tumble animation? Imagine being jabbed once and tumbling in the air...

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
It *shouldn't* cause every hit to be a tumble animation. As long as the tumble check doesn't depend on hitstun (which I don't think it does, but I could be wrong), then it should be fine, and you'll go into tumble at the same time you normally would.

Oh, and jabs also caused tumble in melee at a high enough percent, too. =)

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
It *shouldn't* cause every hit to be a tumble animation. As long as the tumble check doesn't depend on hitstun (which I don't think it does, but I could be wrong), then it should be fine, and you'll go into tumble at the same time you normally would.

Oh, and jabs also caused tumble in melee at a high enough percent, too. =)
Awesome. :3 And yeah, I remember that now that you mention it. :p

Magus420

Smash Master
Adding lots of stun to non-tumble hits that you still wouldn't be able to directional DI and can only A/SDI to a much lesser extent than you could SDI in 64 sounds like a great idea (in 64 you needed less than 45 degrees of change on the stick to register additional SDIs, so a well timed slide could maybe get you a few of them on a hit).

Especially when Brawl's stale moves system assists them in comboing into themselves repeatedly by working against the normal growth in knockback they get with added damage by reducing the base knockback itself more and more as it becomes increasingly stale, and with it the normal point you'd be able to start DIing the hits like normal when it's strong enough to put you into a tumble is also delayed.

There should be more exciting combos such as these in the game...

...that would also work on even the floatiest of characters, and on hits that would normally let them get out of stun above its range. With that stun you could then let them fall all the way to the ground so they also stay lower and be able to keep hitting them with it until they have high enough damage for it to put them in a tumble and they'd be allowed to DI normally.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Are you being sarcastic? Hit stun doesn't affect non tumble hits so gay combos as posted in your thread wont exist. And we are not planning on changing the aspects of DI so I dont know what your talking about...I think you have the wrong idea Magus.....:\

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Wow, think about it...

Coupled with Brawl's quite noticeable stale-move system, adding more hitstun could create more combos than ever existed in Melee. Of course, the damage the opponent is at and how stale the move used is will be significant in recognizing which combos are possible at any given time.
With that said, Brawl will actually force you to THINK. You'll be using your brain to know what is possible and what isn't at any given moment coupled with the new intense speed to Brawl that such Melee factors will create.
THAT EQUALS COMPETITIVENESS! :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wow, think about it...

Coupled with Brawl's quite noticeable stale-move system, adding more hitstun could create more combos than ever existed in Melee. Of course, the damage the opponent is at and how stale the move used is will be significant in recognizing which combos are possible at any given time.
With that said, Brawl will actually force you to THINK. You'll be using your brain to know what is possible and what isn't at any given moment coupled with the new intense speed to Brawl that such Melee factors will create. THAT EQUALS COMPETITIVENESS! :)
Ill answer you with this quote.
Sounds like a truly deep and amazing game.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Kudos to leafgreen386.

It'll make for one extremely intense game. If we do it just right, it could turn out to be a more intense fighter than Melee. Seriously, the potential now seems pretty much limitless.

.... I was being sarcastic too >_>
I find that hard to believe.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You're all for Brawl+.
Can't deny it. There are vids of you and Chibo playing the Brawl+ prototype (let's use that word) on YouTube.

In what ways exactly are you disagreeing with Kupo? I can't figure you out.

Magus420

Smash Master
Hit stun doesn't affect non tumble hits
Yea, since when did flinch moves ever attribute to hitstun? Think back to 64 as well :)
Do you even know what hitstun is? Because it really doesn't sound like it if you think something like Luigi's jab has the same amount of stun as an attack that is just below the knockdown power threshold.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Ah, I see. Then I wonder how inconvenient it would be to code for DI to be a more prominent factor in Brawl.

Do you even know what hitstun is Kupo? Because it really doesn't sound like it if you think something like Luigi's jab has the same amount of stun as an attack that is just below the knockdown power threshold.
I'm not liking the idea of that either. I just want to see what it looks like when every attack of all characters have its hitstun increased by the same small amount.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Do you even know what hitstun is? Because it really doesn't sound like it if you think something like Luigi's jab has the same amount of stun as an attack that is just below the knockdown power threshold.
Of course I know what hitstun is and yea, you can say that flinch is a form of hitstun. What the 64 like hitstun refers to is increase the knockdown hitstun (that puts you into tumble) only, not the flinch hitstun.

And when I referred to not changing the DI, I mean, we are not aiming at making Brawl's DI like 64 but of course we need to add DI on weak hits so that your sheik vid doesn't happen.

Also, your kirby vid is an incorrect depiction of what increased knockdown stun would do because your vid was obviously a loop. It didn't show an increased knockback so that he could escape nor did it show him DIing away either.

kupo15

Smash Hero
well thats not a problem with the 64 style hit stun I proposed...That is another problem in itself that we all agreed needs fixing...being able to DI weak hits.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't seem to do much of anything. I could connect side-b to knee with Falcon at low percentages on level 9 CPUs, seemed to be able to chainthrow longer with Falco, could do up/down throw to f/n/u-air with ROB (all the stuff already mentioned), etc.

I mean, it does make you wait longer before you can do anything, but it just doesn't seem to matter all that much in terms of comboing. You either knock your opponent too far away or don't cause enough damage in the first place.

I think it increases the combo potential of the game, but not by much. I also didn't get the feel that something is wrong with normal moves (Falcon stomps normally, for example). Probably the most notable thing is that at low percentages, this code makes teching much more important. If you miss a tech, you probably can get hit again by a dash attack.

Also, it doesn't seem to stop all early air dodging. Testing with MK against a level 9 CPU, I saw plenty of early air dodges on attacks that sent the CPU flying. I'm not sure why or how they are able to do it.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
If you want to have fun with combos and this, turn your attack ratio to .7 or .8 and enjoy. Most moves in Brawl are designed to knock people away. This makes their knockback weaker so you can actually combo.

I'll post feedback on the updated hit stun!

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
ok there's a huge bug. if you hit someone in the air with a projectile (the one i tried is link's arrow), they cannot act.

here's the twist though, if they are in their gimped animation, and you hit them with a projectile, they'll wake up. if they are not gimped and just floating in the air, they cannot act at all.

so far, it seems to only affect link's arrows, but ill have to keep testing.
-edit: affects mario's fire balls
-edit: affects samus' B and missiles.
-affects: luigi's B

who it doesn't affect:
pikachu's B
toon link's B'
lucario's B

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Until all of the kinks are worked out, I still don't really see the point of using this. As far as I know, though 1.1 fixes some things, there's still plenty wrong with it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
falcos spike was just as good in melee. Your just going to have to learn to tech. i still have a lot to test myself so idk

MuBa

Smash Lord
Okay I've used:

-modified gravity
-Hitstun 1.1
-0.9 and 1.0 damage ratio
-PW's Melee airdodge
-No tripping

Other than the unusual bugs I can actually combo =/

It's freaking awesome! I can actually do things in this game! We're finally making this Brawl+ project better than ever!

Eten

Smash Ace
I still need to test it out, but I'd just like to point out that when you're looking for combos, go watch a melee combo video to get a refresher on what/where combos actually came from. Note which characters combo which characters and transfer that same mentality to where/how combos could be in brawl. IE. A fast faller on a faster faller and wavedash mobility on top of imperfect DI, etc. It'd be pretty messed up if combos just appeared out of everything on Brawl w/o a whole lot of effort. Try extensions of combos that already work and off of moves that don't have significant knockback.

I hope it's possible to make a bug-free hitstun code...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wow, we have yet another update. Check the OP

Hitstun 1.2

Not sure what the difference between the two. If you have Captain Falcon Dair Snake on the ground around 80%, he twirls up and can still air dodge early. It seems like the only difference is less code. Idk if it was a fix for the wavedashing or not. :confused:

Top Bottom