• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hax's Smart Rule - death of planking? you decide.

Hax

Smash Champion
i propose this rule as one that should be used in all tournaments to prevent planking. as we know planking is a technique that threatens the competitiveness of the game, and so something obviously needs to be done. the fact that only a few characters (namely snake) are even able to do something about planking only heightens how threatening this technique really is

this is the rule being used in puerto rico, and it has been very effective

Puerto Rico's Stupid Rule:
*A player may not perform 5 or more ledgegrabs without touching the ground. Doing so will result in the loss of 1 stock.

my modification:

Puerto Rico's Stupid Rule Modified:
*A player may not perform 5 or more ledgegrabs without touching the ground for as long as the opposing team or character is on the stage. For example, if Metaknight is fighting Snake and Snake is off-stage, Metaknight may perform as many ledgegrabs as desired, however once Snake touches any part of the stage (platforms included) Metaknight may perform no more than 4 ledgegrabs without touching the stage, or it will result in the loss of 1 stock.

Hax's Smart Rule
*A player may not perform more than 5 ledgegrabs without touching the ground for as long as the opposing team or character is on the stage. For example, if Metaknight is fighting Snake and Snake is off-stage, Metaknight may perform as many ledgegrabs as desired, however once Snake touches any part of the stage (platforms included) Metaknight may perform no more than 5 ledgegrabs without touching the stage, or it will result in the loss of 1 stock. In addition, the ledge grab counter for either character may not exceed 100 by the end of the game. The amount of ledge grabs performed can be checked in the game stats. 101 or more ledgegrabs results in a forfeit.

-----

basically, this modification makes it so that an edgeguarding player does not have to kill himself for repeatedly ledgegrabbing. in this case it isn't ledgegrabbing for the purpose of stalling, is it ledgegrabbing to obtain invincibility frames to help edgeguard which is not planking. agreed?

there it is, hope you like it. depending on whether this becomes accepted or not, this just may be the end of planking.. :)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
What if Marth's above the stage, waiting for you to get on, and you're busy ledgestalling, trying to contemplate a way to get back up there? Or if you get juggled and are forced to go to the ledge again?
Or if Falco's spamming lasers on FD, and the most obvious solution is to go to the ledge until he stops?

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
So...people are forced to kill themselves because they edgegrab? Seriously? I mean sure you can make an effort to stop spamming, but making people SD themselves is terrible. I vote in support of Hax's rule then

Hax

Smash Champion
@ Problem2: this rule sounds noobish? this rule prevents tournaments from running overtime, games from being unfair, and the game being metaknight-exclusive at higher levels of play.

planking is a problem, people. this rule helps put an end to it, which is the direction we need to go in.

clowsui

Smash Legend
If MK gets above the stage he has enough mobility where he can just demolish camping, unless it's Snake it which case you'd be ******** to camp from that far anyways because grenade explosions are extra predictable from that distance

This rule sounds okay but enforcing it may be difficult? I mean what if the MK just ledge grabs four times, gets off the stage, comes back to the ledge four times and then gets back on? Should the other guy just approach then?
I suggest adding another modification:
If the number of edge grabs in the game exceeds 150 (that means you can go to the ledge to camp 32.5 times in a game, far more than enough...minus the LARGEST amount of recovering you need to do this is roughly about 70 edge grabs total a game which is the Japanese rule but MKs are more and more aggressive nowadays so it's not that big of a deal) then you will automatically lose that game, but CPing advantage goes to you.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Just pause the game and get a judge then
Part of why metaknight is so good is that hes amazing at planking, we know its a problem, but its a strategy. I like the way it is now, where people generally dont stall excessively.

The game is not metaknight exclusive at higher level play, only like 30%, lol...

skizbe

Smash Rookie
I'm in favor of the rule, because it stops players from stalling and brings more competitiveness to the meta-game.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
@ Problem2: this rule sounds noobish? this rule prevents tournaments from running overtime, games from being unfair, and the game being metaknight-exclusive at higher levels of play.

planking is a problem, people. this rule helps put an end to it, which is the direction we need to go in.
How many tournaments go over time because OH MY GOD people were planking?
Small venue, lack of set ups, and poor orginzation affect tourney time more than OMGWTFBBQ ledge stalling.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or do tourney-organizers lack the ability to plan correctly then? According to my info Brawl-matches have a fixed time setting, so why don't they plan around those 8 minutes?
Even if (note: IF) tourneys take a little longer than usual (which, IF it occurs, is mostly fail from the director), what's the point of this rule other than limiting the game in some way? It would be the same if you made a rule which stated ''C.Falcon/Ganondorf/Link-edgehog = loss of your own stock''...

And I really wonder who keeps track of tourney-times, must be an interesting job...oh wait, nobody doesn't!
Maybe there's even a ''standard-tourney-time'' set for all tourneys...wait a sec...There isn't!
Maybe all the arguments for this rule are good...oh, no wait......

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
... Just hit em when they drop...
You have 8 minutes generally to kill three stock, plus hanging on FD's ledges = many easy stage spikes.

Niko_K

Smash Master
As peach I regrab the ledge multiple times in order to even attempt to make it back. I think the 70 rule makes a lot more sense.

Nicole

Smash Champion
dude, if someone is planking on the edge, can't you just, like, i don't know...stay in the middle of the stage and ignore them? i know that's probably stalling, but they're just as guilty of stalling too, since they're doing nothing but grabbing the edge and waiting for you to be dumb enough to try to fight them over there.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Well, that does work if your opponent doesn't have the lead, but if they do you will lose if they stay stubborn and wait until the time runs out. However, we have yet to see this tactic absolutely dominate. It has been a few problems in areas, but it's not winning everything. I say we try and see if the metagame will work itself out first before we try and ban stuff.

Hax

Smash Champion
this thread has been updated multiple times now, but i think i've finally come up with a completely fair rule. i've been hearing johns from both sides about the multiple ledgegrabs in a row rule vs the 70 ledgegrabs per game rule. how about integrating them into one rule?

read "Hax's Smart Rule" in the OP!! comments?

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
If you want the rule to be taken seriously, it should be amended to note that being damaged, pushed away, or otherwise affected in a way that doesn't constitute normal movement by your opponents, stage hazards, your teammate, or yourself, resets the 5 ledgegrab counter back to zero.

That being said, we don't need a rule to counter planking. It's not a problem. Whether or not it will become one in the future is up for debate, but there's no sense in trying to solve it now. From where I'm sitting, anyway.

I also don't see a point to the 100 max ledgegrabs rule. I doubt anyone would ever reach such a number with the 5 ledgegrab rule in place, and if they did it would be largely as a result of their opponent's incompetence.

lain

Smash Master
101 limit can sometimes be unfair. What if someone kept coming back against MK or whomever, and they had to grab the edge a lot?

bobson

Smash Lord
101 limit can sometimes be unfair. What if someone kept coming back against MK or whomever, and they had to grab the edge a lot?
If the Metaknight has managed to make you grab the ledge every 4.8 seconds for the entire match I would say he deserves to win.

BombermanFanatic

Smash Cadet
Good luck enforcing it. Calling over a Judge would definately result in a "No I didn't grab the ledge 6 times." What then? Are we going to post somebody to watch every match counting ledge grabs? The max of 70 grabs per game is much more reasonable. Easy to prove. Nobody should get to 70 without planking. If you are worried that that is too small of a number, play a few matches and look at how many times you grabbed the ledge. 70 is a little high if anything.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
As peach I regrab the ledge multiple times in order to even attempt to make it back. I think the 70 rule makes a lot more sense.
Yea Niko_K im gonna agree with you...
And Im just waiting to see what the Marths are going to say about this.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
This rule seems hard to enforce, plus it seems that if players want to, they can still kill people who like to ledgegrab, and if "planking" is really an issue, you could still call it as stalling....

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I personally don't see why it matters. Why is everyone so banhappy lately?

Planking isn't a forced, inescapable combo. Planking is a tactic to try to make you go over to the ledge so they can get an advantage in the game. Oh wow, it's so horrible, we must ban it.

Planking, as far as I can tell, is just a way of camping. But it's beatable...get around it. Turn the tides against them. Try beating plankers. And just like camping, no one is forcing you to go over there. You're probably not going to sit on the stage if they're in the lead and planking, but still...

Really, people are acting as if planking is abundant in the metagame and people do it a lot. It's not. People do it occassionally, and it's beatable. Stalling's already banned; we don't need to make it any more specific.

Nicole

Smash Champion
This might have been answered already, but does this rule count in teams also? I know that when my partner dies off and I'm left against 2 opponents, I break out my Mr. Game and Plank and do hardcore gay edge stuff for awhile. I really think this is the best strategy for surviving a 2 on 1 onslaught, and I don't think it's that cheap in teams, because there's two guys against you.

Top Bottom