• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Havoc in the Hammer -- Aug 15, Hamilton ON, Ally / RayneX PRE-REG FAST!

Iliad

Smash Lord
As far as I understand it Tin-Man, or as far as GRMO explained it, barely any of the melee guys in the ontario scene have actually signed up. That includes the ones that bring TVs and set-ups. Don't be surprised if there are a lot more TVs finding their way into the melee section than described in the OP.

Also, i'm going to make a finalized schedule on the OP today when I get home from college.

@ RayneX, or Bernard (Assuming a bawrl fgt is allowed to call you by your first name), would it be possible if you could try to let the melee community know if they don't already know about this tourney? I don't know the people in the scene really, only the brawl area. GRMO volunteered to run the melee portion of the tourney, and as I understand it he's a competent TO in regards to melee so if he hasn't already informed the melee scene i'd appreciate it if you could too. Thanks.

idea

Smash Master
i think people do know, but we're bad about confirming for things. not so bad for attendance, but bad for telling you in advance.

i posted about it in the gta thread...most of the meleeers confirmed are the regular, more dependable people. we have a lot more "maybe, i dunno, as long as it doesn't rain" people. so we'll see.

Patches

Smash Master
Oh, I SHOULD add this I suppose.

Iliad, since I'm slowly learning how to play Melee better, I'll be playing Melee too. I can bring a disc, but no cube. Mine is broken. I'll bring a disc to the tournament, if you need it, just let me know.

P.S. I won't place well in it, but its all in good fun. :)

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I have never played melee competitive before but I'm willing to try it out. I have absolutely no Idea how well I well do, and I have extremely little knowledge of counter picking stages. I need to get good at knowing my options, and knowing what is good for everyone else. I have very little experience playing against certain characters, and right now only 1.5 of the characters I use is tournament viable (one main, and another character i might get ***** with if i use and yes I'm keeping these a secret). I also haven't played against good people for so long so I'm f***3d.

Now about Brawl, ILIAD may you remove the ice climber infinite rule, please and thank you

idea

Smash Master
I have never played melee competitive before but I'm willing to try it out. I have absolutely no Idea how well I well do
=P was that on purpose?

as for counterpicking...it's usually some combination of what'll help your character, hurt the opponent's, and most importantly, where you feel comfortable. if a stage is supposed to be good for you but you hate it for some reason, don't counterpick it.

it also helps to think of the stages in terms of properties...for instance, kongo jungle 64 is "big". it is fairly wide and has a very high ceiling. so if you're playing against a fox, you might consider counterpicking there, since foxes tend to get a lot of their kills off the top, and you'll live longer because of the high ceiling.

but if you're playing against someone who's really campy, then don't take them there, because the size will just help them run away from you. if they are really defensive, maybe take them to somewhere like yoshi's story, which is really small.

or maybe you happen to know they hate fountain of dreams (a lot of people dislike that stage, the platforms screw up people's movement, especially since they change in height). then take them there =P

and similarly...characters like captain falcon need to move around a lot. so you could take them to FoD and mess them up that way.

but try not to overthink it. don't wanna psyche yourself out before the match even starts.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I play brawl a ****load so I am aware of how to counterpick, and what too look for, however its just that I dont know what to use vs certain characters in melee. U gave me an idea (pun fully intended :p) of what to do, but I guess I'll also have to start looking at what others will do in certain situations, or I guess I'll have to find another tourney noob friendly like I did for brawl (<3 u sauce) to help me figure out which person uses which character and what I can do against them. I have melee skill, but i know i aint the best in toronto but yeah i'll play for fun. I definately wont come close to last cause some brawl players are melee noobs :p.

And as for me not going to tourneys, I just didn't know where they were, nor did I have the means to go to them, I only started being proficient in using smashboards this june when I went to my 1st brawl tourney. Before that I only knew where the character boards were and that helped me with matchups and stage counterpicks. Brawl has online and melee didn't so I never really went to smashfests outside my school therefore couldn't play against ppl. But I got my skill from amazing players at my school so I'm pretty confident I'll do DECENT

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
But I got my skill from amazing players at my school so I'm pretty confident I'll do DECENT
Sorry man, you won't do decent, unless you face someone else that has no idea what they're doing. Melee is much meaner than brawl that way.

Iliad

Smash Lord
I'll consider changing the IC rule, but tcbh, I spoke with Ambrose about it some time ago, and he said he didn't feel it hindered him in anyway. 6 grabs is enough rack up around 60+%, and if you're hobbling, still enough to move the opponent across the map and spike them.

Now... That being said. If Lain confirms for this tourney and says he would like the grab amount extended or removed all together, i will likely remove it. Because i'm a *****.

I honestly do feel though that IC CGs past 6 are broken to **** if you're good enough with the chaingrab, a la Doc/Ambrose/Swordgard/Meep/Lain. They completely break any semblance of balance in brawl, and it's already lacking in that category.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
[Counters]
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Halberd
(I know it seems bleak, but I've seen a lot of complaints about Norfair, Pirate Ship, and even Pictochat, so let me know if you think another stage deserves on the counter list.)
What about distant planet (lets spice things up a bit)

buenob

Smash Lord
lol, tin man, you are either an epic troll, or have a lot to learn about the competitive smash community :) either way, i wish you the best of luck

idea

Smash Master
long quote
Sorry man, you won't do decent, unless you face someone else that has no idea what they're doing. Melee is much meaner than brawl that way.
yeah =P nate is right, melee is much harder that way. you can't really learn anything about it until you start playing with people who do "know what they're doing". at my first tournament i believe i won one set, and it was that person's first tournament too. most of the people who had been playing for a while were 3- and 4-stocking me with characters they never use. and at this point i had already been playing melee for maybe 2 years, but just casually with friends.

but because it's harder to get good at melee, it's also very rewarding when you start seeing yourself improve =)

as for just accepted good choices for counterpicks, you could check the boards for whichever characters you play. or you could just ask here, giving away your secret =P

Patches

Smash Master
Yeah.

I agree with both Nate and Idea here. There is no CHANCE you'll place decent unless you play with people that are better than you, and for a long time at that. That way you can get used to the characters, how to play them, and against them. How to tech certain **** and all that other melee jazz.

Take me for example. I'm the best player in my area (as far as I know), I know I am the best in my town though. Anyways, almost all my experience is from online play. Whenever I go to a tournament, I tend to mess up a lot and place poorly. Even though I've been playing this game since it came out.

I always get beaten, but it makes me better. And hopefully, Havoc will be a turning point for me where I will get AT LEAST into brackets. I doubt my odds if Michigan and such come though. D:

Tin Man

Smash Hero
hmmmm in that case patches for brawl I was in the same situation as you but I guess I played vs better people online, + I had my 2 close friends who did the same, and it ended o getting pretty competitive until I was the only one who wanted to lay the game competitively (one of them found soccer to be way more entertaining and the other is being a hypocrite saying he isn't a gamer and has a life when he basically moved on from Wii to NES and unless u were born with an NES u wont play old games, only hardcore gamers do that). All that put together and I've maded into brackets, and placed decent at brawl tourneys, so even though we have the same story for brawl somehow u didnt even make it to brackets ever :(.

I still plan on not getting ***** in terms of placing. I will beat the brawl ppl that wanna play melee :p, and maybe there are some other newcomers like me in the same situation

@ idea, I'll PM u MAYBE. Maybe u can be the guy that knows everyone and is noob friendly and can tell me what to do vs certain ppl :D

lain

Smash Master
I'm not sure if I'm coming or not, but 6 grabs is completely stupid. You may as well say none.

If IC's can't kill out of a grab, it makes so many matchups against them ********, namely MK. I would be horrified to know that MK can 0-death my nana, but I can't do **** to him anymore.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Lain. If you confirm for me right now. I will remove the IC chaingrab rule. You need to come regardless. Ally promised to attend, how is he going to attend if Michigan doesn't drive him?

Patches

Smash Master
Lain. If you confirm for me right now. I will remove the IC chaingrab rule. You need to come regardless. Ally promised to attend, how is he going to attend if Michigan doesn't drive him?
Holy told me that Ally was coming back to Canada after Evo.

But I'm not sure whats happened, I havent talked to Holy recently.

idea

Smash Master
@ idea, I'll PM u MAYBE. Maybe u can be the guy that knows everyone and is noob friendly and can tell me what to do vs certain ppl :D
noob friendly yes, but of the regular melee people, i'm probably the least knowledgeable. raynex, unknown522, and kirbykaze would all be better choices for advice. although i'm already talking to you =P

and...i only ever played most of the original mega man games a few months ago. i thought "hey, you know what i've never tried" and downloaded an nes emulator and all 6 of them. very fun.

I'm not sure if I'm coming or not, but 6 grabs is completely stupid. You may as well say none.

If IC's can't kill out of a grab, it makes so many matchups against them ********, namely MK. I would be horrified to know that MK can 0-death my nana, but I can't do **** to him anymore.
whoa, wait, right now ICs are limited to 6 grabs?

and i used to think melee had complicated rules =S

Cyan_

Smash Lord
I still plan on not getting ***** in terms of placing. I will beat the brawl ppl that wanna play melee :p, and maybe there are some other newcomers like me in the same situation
No you won't. :chuckle:

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
ugh....I really hate to do this...but I may have to bail on this tournament. It's a shame because I'm extremely psyched for this tournament (probably more-so than any tournament this summer).

I just found out that one of my best friends is getting married on the same day as this tournament. This man is amazing and I owe him a lot so I would really feel like a **** by not showing up to his wedding. That said though as soon as he told me about the wedding he also specifically said if I have a Smash tournament on the same day I should go to it instead... Still, this guy has got me out of a lot of **** and I'd probably regret not being there for his wedding. I generally dislike weddings though, and really don't want to go through the hassles of getting a suit ><.

So as of now I'm completely unsure whether I can make this.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Forget distant planet, that stage is an MK campfest waiting to happen.
Not everything tastes better spicy.

Top Bottom