• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
i'm going to begin totaling my k/d/a and the k/d/a of my teammates in ranked.

you stupid ****tards who still think that luck doesn't exist, prepare for another round of cognitive dissonance and denial of statistics.

it was fun watching you scramble for rational explanations last time.
Nobody disagrees that chance exists, but at a certain point it becomes extremely unlikely that it's simply bad luck. This is especially true because people have a tendancy to cherry pick games or streaks of games where they did well but were unable to carry. If this actually does happen a lot, pick somebody that's weak in lane but if you have an advantage, snowball. For example, if I think I can outlane pretty much anybody at my elo, I run with something like Eve or Kassadin mid. Still having trouble carrying? Work on your map awareness.

Frankly the main problem with this attitude is that it doesn't allow you to improve, if you blame yourself for every loss and try to look for every mistake, you can improve a lot more easily then if you're like "I played perfectly, my team sucks", because lets face it, EVERYONE makes mistakes, even top players, if you don't constantly think about what you did wrong, you'll never improve.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Luck only exists to a certain extent. The good players will get gold. The great will get diamond. Eventually.
ELO is only a valid statistical system for single entity evals, like team v team and person v person. Five different individuals vs five more individuals, each with their own ELO, is so far from being statistically valid that it can't be used as an accurate judge of skill. The margin of error is far too large.

It's made even worse by the fact that there are thresholds you can't drop below now. Once gold, always gold, even if your "true skill" would put you in silver.

That doesn't mean you can't improve, but looking at a lot of my own loss replays it's simply bad play from teammates that I can't carry because I'm support again and I only got my ADC fed.
On the flip side, a lot of my wins are the same thing reversed, so...

Vyke

Smash Champion
Wouldn't it be magical if they actually used the direct equivalent of the Elo system? Then arguments against the Elo system might be valid.

D

Deleted member

It's made even worse by the fact that there are thresholds you can't drop below now. Once gold, always gold, even if your "true skill" would put you in silver.
they put in safeties for that, for starters that matchmaking is still based on your (now hidden) ELO.

on a side note, I love how people give the existing system s***, but never actually suggest alternatives.

Player-3

Smash Hero
ELO is only a valid statistical system for single entity evals, like team v team and person v person. Five different individuals vs five more individuals, each with their own ELO, is so far from being statistically valid that it can't be used as an accurate judge of skill. The margin of error is far too large.

That doesn't mean you can't improve, but looking at a lot of my own loss replays it's simply bad play from teammates that I can't carry because I'm support again and I only got my ADC fed.
if ur playing support and you view yourself as only getting your ADC fed then you need to re-evaluate how ur playing

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

That's not quite true, it still predicts the odds of a given team winning it's just that it requires a LOT more tests to be valid.

Niko45

Smash Master
A while ago I was getting frustrated cause I kept putting up scores like 6-2 or 7-3 or w/e and losing games pretty frequently. I was playing a lot of lee sin top at the time. My solution? Play something that carries harder, so that if you get fed it really means you won the game. Picked up Rumble, never looked back...

I think people underestimate this quite a bit (smash mentality for me was always to stick out my best character even through tough matchups), since in League its absurdly easy to pick up a new champion and play them competently. Dont play heros that get fed and dont carry. Maybe at higher elo a profound level of understanding of a specific hero trumps being blatantly op, but my advice for anybody playing in silver right now is to just pick heros that win games, and it's not to hard to figure out which heros are which.

Something I've been finding really stupid and funny about low elo bans is that shen is always banned and TF is never banned. Shen's global is way more situational and in general shen's lane phase is weak and he will need to basically be played quite well to be a banworthy champion (and even still he doesnt carry very hard as an individual hero...like a 4-0 shen doesn't mean jack **** if he hasn't snowballed the rest of the team). On the other hand TF's global is on a way shorter CD and is way way less situational for creating huge snowbally plays. He also carries pretty damn hard when fed. Yet if you didn't ban shen in silver games you were instantly flamed and blamed for losing LOL.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Anyone want to carry me? I'm good at support and mid. Learning to jungle with moderate success. Oh, and I frequently play as Soraka :D

Coney

Smash Master
TF's skill floor is much lower than shen's, that's why he's not really a threat below diamond play

shen is absurdly simple to grasp

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Anyone want to carry me? I'm good at support and mid. Learning to jungle with moderate success. Oh, and I frequently play as Soraka :D
combine the two

jungle soraka

spirit of the elder lizard, sunfire cape, beserker greaves + 3 situational tanky items (frozen heart/ice bourne/maw or whatever)

go~

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Nah, build Boots of Mobility with Alacrity, rush Twin Shadows for more movespeed, healbot for every lane

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Stick to the plan, Val?

Is the plan to not be good right away, get overbuffed because people don't play you so they don't realize how good you are, then dominate?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm not the biggest fan of Quinn either. Her blind's okay though, and I like being Soraka bot with her. :applejack:

Niko45

Smash Master
I was pretty excited when she came out, cause I thought she might be cool. But it turns out her kits is really boring and lame imo.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
So what's Lux up to in higher leagues right now? I'm Silver 1 with 81 points and she's pretty strong here and apparently dominating the lower silver ranks, so say my friends.

Edit: steadily climbing to gold... can't wait to not be a baby anymore.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Lux is stupid good right now

As is Nidalee/Xerath

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So what's Lux up to in higher leagues right now? I'm Silver 1 with 81 points and she's pretty strong here and apparently dominating the lower silver ranks, so say my friends.

Edit: steadily climbing to gold... can't wait to not be a baby anymore.
What's your winrate look like? Mine was barely above 50%, and I ended up slowing down when I reached 90 points silver 1, getting 1-3 LP per win. I'm wondering if it won't be as bad for you, if you have like fewer games played/better winrate.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
No CC is pretty depressing on a jungler though
And compared to like, Yi, her clear time (I assume) is much slower

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
yi does what she does better imo having done both. and wukong does them both better and scales greatly :D

but if u don't wanna lane fiora jungle is doable. She still provides a ton of dmg with red buff.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
People normally don't complain when I Fiora jungle, but that's because I only pick it when my lanes have enough CC to handle the ganks and whatnot. :applejack:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
What's your winrate look like? Mine was barely above 50%, and I ended up slowing down when I reached 90 points silver 1, getting 1-3 LP per win. I'm wondering if it won't be as bad for you, if you have like fewer games played/better winrate.
I'm 22W-17L total this season (don't play much ranked at one time and normally stop as soon as I lose). I haven't yet experienced the super-diminished LP rewards, but I've been told to expect it past 90 LP. Thus far, I've been gaining about 15-18 per win and losing 13-15 per loss, with a few outliers.

john!

Smash Hero
guys

what exactly is the difference in your playstyles in the following two situations:

- both teams are even
- the enemy team is ahead

or, more generally, how do you deal with other lanes feeding? what if you are the tank?

john!

Smash Hero
okay, next question:

how do you get your jungler to gank when the enemy constantly pushes you to tower on a side lane?
how do you get your team to take advantage of the fact that the enemy jungler is camping you?

i'm not going to try and convince you guys that this **** happens to me 70% of the time since you will try to give my (very improbable) life a rational explanation which i have already thought of. so let's pretend that this happens 10% of the time, like it does to most players.

how do you deal with it?

Top Bottom