• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think against Irelia from what one of my friends said, pick someone who builds health and/or can reduce attack speed/deal with her auto attacks, strong early game also helps a lot.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Irelia loses to Yorick.
she won't lose, just can't kill

but i take my statement back, she loses to 2v1 lanes

I think against Irelia from what one of my friends said, pick someone who builds health and/or can reduce attack speed/deal with her auto attacks, strong early game also helps a lot.
she won't lose to them, just won't be able to kill them. malphite doesn't beat her, just he doesn't die like everyone else does so ppl think he's a counter. lee sin doesnt beat her, shen/olaf who build hp dont beat her. she doesn't lose to anyone

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yorick would win vs Irelia.
by most high elo acounts, Irelia beats Yorick. he bosses you early, but not hard enough to deny you items, and by the time his sustain is unreasonable, so is yours except you've got true damage and are just generally stronger in teamfights. also Udyr beats Yorick iirc, but everyone likes to pretend that Udyr top doesn't exist any more and I think I like it better that way anyway.

as for beating Irelia, you pretty much can't beat irelia if her jungler gives her a basic level of support. there are plenty of people who can stomp her 1v1 during early levels, but that ends up being pretty irrelevant as long as your jungler puts enough pressure to let you still get farm. there are a lot of break even lanes with Irelia in this case, but outside of Jax, no one else really scales well enough for breaking even to be sufficient unless your top is a straight tank instead of a bruiser (Malphite for instance, scales so differently from Irelia that it's comp-dependent).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Jayce can't beat Irelia until like levels 9+ in pure 1v1s. Until then it's just farm farm farm for both, and Jayce might even lose if he engages poorly.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Since we are talking about Irelia, how do you win against nidalee? I traded with her top until their jungle and mid took my tower, but I felt like killing her post-6 was an uphill struggle.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Since we are talking about Irelia, how do you win against nidalee? I traded with her top until their jungle and mid took my tower, but I felt like killing her post-6 was an uphill struggle.
at levels 5/7/9 you trade with her correctly, she goes down to 1/4 hp, heals, when ur cd's are up u do it again she dies

big tourny weekend missed everything

good tourny?
recommended vods?
iG vs Azubu Frost was amazing, best match of the tourney imo

I always enjoy watching M5 so you could watch their set against iG but im biased

All of Najin Sword's pools matches are interesting because of Maknoon

No need to watch any NA teams they all sucked. Even if they are not bad teams they played awful and got outplayed hard every game, not interesting to see

Don't watch CLG eu unless you have insomnia

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I really want to talk about unorthodox team compositions and setups with people. Does anybody want to talk about that?

Mostly I'm focusing on ways to make a blue-top/purple-bot tri-lane legitimately work in a way that will shaft people in the current meta, and make for a very fun and aggressive team style. It would focus on absolute early violence in bottom lane,

First, one has to take into account the primary things you lose by not having a jungler: top-lane ganks, smite, (typically) a beefy tank type champion, and map control. The second step is to account for what you lose by having a tri-lane.

What options would let a trilane mitigate this?

1) Pick a strong ranged top-lane counter character. I think this character should actually just be your AD carry--the current trinity of Ez, Corki and Graves all work.

2) Bottom lane needs to win. Instantly. No questions. So the best way is to have a killing tri-lane that can push at level 1/2.

What lets you push super early? Promote! Having a vicious triple-CC bottom lane with a combination of Promote, Ignite, and Exhaust could secure an easy level 1 kill in lane followed by a TON of damage to the tower.

So ideal champions in this regard are a combination of two CC'ing supports and then, since with two supports the third doesn't care about being ranged, hopefully a powerful snowball champion. I like the thought of using somebody very hurty and snowbally like Pantheon or Poppy who could instantly come out the gate with violence and take charge. You can name tons of champions that do this, but I like Panth and Poppy because they're fun :3 But so many champions work in this regard, you can almost do whatever the hell you feel like.

So when we think of low level CC supports, obvious ones are Blitz, Taric, Ali, and Janna. A Blitz-Taric-Panth lane getting FB and pushing your tower down instantly? Scary. Of course, with Blitz being a common ban, we could start getting creative when it comes to ranged CCs. Morgana or Lux support? Have the third character be Sion? Possibilities really open up here. The more ambiguous the picks, the less likely the other team will know what's going on before you take a dump on them and win the game before it starts. Both supports can start with boots, a ward, and pots. This will let them mostly cover the jungle and protect them from the jungle ruining their fun, or (and why not) just gank the jungler with their three CCs+summoners. Optimally, both supports would be tank-esque characters. If not, the 3rd (our psuedo-carry snowball damage dealer) should have tankiness on them, somehow. Either that, or be very good at rude-dude split pushing, because once you've pushed down bottom tower, it's TIME TO GANK. Running a double CC roaming gank into mid, or just sitting in mid while the now-fed bot lane farms and pushes will give your mid-lane an advantage. Then you move top, and take first top tower. Taking those towers lets you ward the crap out of their jungle and start negating the presence-disadvantage of not having a jungler.

Top lane will mostly be left alone. The whole purpose of having a carry up top is to wreck the top lane opponent, and the purpose of bottom lane aggression is to keep the other jungler so busy trying to run damage control in bottom lane that they can't stop top from losing.

Thoughts? I've theory-crafted a lot of solid team comps with different flavors: ones based on split pushes (having a Shen and TF with a support running promote), ones based on single target picking and dives, some that are more AOE centric... the list goes on.

I dunno, I thought it was a fun idea. Once you've taken your first tower with the tri-lane, you could have them recall, purchase wards, then check and see if there are any of your own jungle buffs available to feed to the two solos. If you can pick off their jungler early, you can start running massive map control with wards by preventing early oracles. Obviously your PLAYERS must be good so they don't just lose to solid tower-farmers, and you have to be adaptable and intelligent and all the other things required to make *any* strategy work... but I think seizing the advantage early with a surprise killing tri-lane would put the enemies on the back-foot and lose all momentum. Then you play solid, take towers, and capitalize from there. Thoughts?

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
[collapse=What Wobbles Said]I really want to talk about unorthodox team compositions and setups with people. Does anybody want to talk about that?

Mostly I'm focusing on ways to make a blue-top/purple-bot tri-lane legitimately work in a way that will shaft people in the current meta, and make for a very fun and aggressive team style. It would focus on absolute early violence in bottom lane,

First, one has to take into account the primary things you lose by not having a jungler: top-lane ganks, smite, (typically) a beefy tank type champion, and map control. The second step is to account for what you lose by having a tri-lane.

What options would let a trilane mitigate this?

1) Pick a strong ranged top-lane counter character. I think this character should actually just be your AD carry--the current trinity of Ez, Corki and Graves all work.

2) Bottom lane needs to win. Instantly. No questions. So the best way is to have a killing tri-lane that can push at level 1/2.

What lets you push super early? Promote! Having a vicious triple-CC bottom lane with a combination of Promote, Ignite, and Exhaust could secure an easy level 1 kill in lane followed by a TON of damage to the tower.

So ideal champions in this regard are a combination of two CC'ing supports and then, since with two supports the third doesn't care about being ranged, hopefully a powerful snowball champion. I like the thought of using somebody very hurty and snowbally like Pantheon or Poppy who could instantly come out the gate with violence and take charge. You can name tons of champions that do this, but I like Panth and Poppy because they're fun :3 But so many champions work in this regard, you can almost do whatever the hell you feel like.

So when we think of low level CC supports, obvious ones are Blitz, Taric, Ali, and Janna. A Blitz-Taric-Panth lane getting FB and pushing your tower down instantly? Scary. Of course, with Blitz being a common ban, we could start getting creative when it comes to ranged CCs. Morgana or Lux support? Have the third character be Sion? Possibilities really open up here. The more ambiguous the picks, the less likely the other team will know what's going on before you take a dump on them and win the game before it starts. Both supports can start with boots, a ward, and pots. This will let them mostly cover the jungle and protect them from the jungle ruining their fun, or (and why not) just gank the jungler with their three CCs+summoners. Optimally, both supports would be tank-esque characters. If not, the 3rd (our psuedo-carry snowball damage dealer) should have tankiness on them, somehow. Either that, or be very good at rude-dude split pushing, because once you've pushed down bottom tower, it's TIME TO GANK. Running a double CC roaming gank into mid, or just sitting in mid while the now-fed bot lane farms and pushes will give your mid-lane an advantage. Then you move top, and take first top tower. Taking those towers lets you ward the crap out of their jungle and start negating the presence-disadvantage of not having a jungler.

Top lane will mostly be left alone. The whole purpose of having a carry up top is to wreck the top lane opponent, and the purpose of bottom lane aggression is to keep the other jungler so busy trying to run damage control in bottom lane that they can't stop top from losing.

Thoughts? I've theory-crafted a lot of solid team comps with different flavors: ones based on split pushes (having a Shen and TF with a support running promote), ones based on single target picking and dives, some that are more AOE centric... the list goes on.

I dunno, I thought it was a fun idea. Once you've taken your first tower with the tri-lane, you could have them recall, purchase wards, then check and see if there are any of your own jungle buffs available to feed to the two solos. If you can pick off their jungler early, you can start running massive map control with wards by preventing early oracles. Obviously your PLAYERS must be good so they don't just lose to solid tower-farmers, and you have to be adaptable and intelligent and all the other things required to make *any* strategy work... but I think seizing the advantage early with a surprise killing tri-lane would put the enemies on the back-foot and lose all momentum. Then you play solid, take towers, and capitalize from there. Thoughts?[/collapse]
What you are describing is a fast-push strategy, and while they aren't doing exactly what you say a lot of the asian teams seem to do a similar thing to what you're describing, except they tend to use lane swapping or 3-4 man ganks top/bottom when they're ready.

I don't think you need a dedicated tri-lane, per se. The jungle gives too much experience for not that much risk for a dedicated trilane. However, a semi-dedicated trilane could work. Some of the champions you described like Pantheon and Sion can clear the bottom half of the jungle (or most of it if on blue side) and still get to lane before any creeps die. If you pick a mid lane that can push easily at all levels (Chogath, Morde, etc.) then they can take the wraiths and wolves so not having the jungler there won't go to waste. Top could possibly get involved with that as well.

But also this strat also seems to revolve around what the opponents have, too. You're probably not going to get FB unless you catch your opponents by surprise, so I wouldn't consider that a part of the strategy, just something you're hoping to get. Anyway, you're going to have a much better time rushing bot tower against, say, Tristana and Soraka than, say, Ezrael and Leona. In that case I would be sending three against top or mid, also depending on who's there.

tl;dr This needs to be done efficiently and quickly or else you lose out on too much exp.

Just my two cents. Though I'd love to play it out a few times.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
What you are describing is a fast-push strategy, and while they aren't doing exactly what you say a lot of the asian teams seem to do a similar thing to what you're describing, except they tend to use lane swapping or 3-4 man ganks top/bottom when they're ready.

I don't think you need a dedicated tri-lane, per se. The jungle gives too much experience for not that much risk for a dedicated trilane. However, a semi-dedicated trilane could work. Some of the champions you described like Pantheon and Sion can clear the bottom half of the jungle (or most of it if on blue side) and still get to lane before any creeps die. If you pick a mid lane that can push easily at all levels (Chogath, Morde, etc.) then they can take the wraiths and wolves so not having the jungler there won't go to waste. Top could possibly get involved with that as well.

But also this strat also seems to revolve around what the opponents have, too. You're probably not going to get FB unless you catch your opponents by surprise, so I wouldn't consider that a part of the strategy, just something you're hoping to get. Anyway, you're going to have a much better time rushing bot tower against, say, Tristana and Soraka than, say, Ezrael and Leona. In that case I would be sending three against top or mid, also depending on who's there.

tl;dr This needs to be done efficiently and quickly or else you lose out on too much exp.

Just my two cents. Though I'd love to play it out a few times.
I think my main focus given the strat is that you can actually do it with very flexible champion picks. A great champ for this whole setup is Nunu, because he functions as support, jungle, and top lane (for certain matchups). So you pick him, and it turns out he's not jungling at all, he's going bot with Taric and Ryze, and he has Promote. Nunu also gives you access to a psuedo-Smite for dragon.

That's right, Ryze! He went bot instead of mid, and now Taric+Ryze are fed and alternate between blowing up their lane and stealing your jungle with Nunu and whoever it was you sent mid. Right, you sent Kennen mid. So you've got a lot of CC, poke from Ken/Ez, and three pretty tanky champions along with a lot of magic. Maybe Ez isn't the best in this case, maybe it's a harder physically emphasized champion like Vayne or Draven. I bet Draven craps on a lot of top lanes, actually. I dunno. You can mess around!

The best part is that people will typically be runed/specc'ed *all wrong* against your comp because the lane and strat compositions are so wonky. I really want to mess around with it, but I can't for several months because I'll be out of country with no solid computer/internet.

Hondafoo: My LoL tag actually IS Eskimaux now. Go figure.

bassem6

Smash Lord
http://i.imgur.com/oFAZh.jpg

DRAVEN DOES IT ALL.

He is going to be fotm once people start playing him and realizing how op he is after ez is nerfed. I will comment on your strat after i read it wobbles

I think my main focus given the strat is that you can actually do it with very flexible champion picks. A great champ for this whole setup is Nunu, because he functions as support, jungle, and top lane (for certain matchups). So you pick him, and it turns out he's not jungling at all, he's going bot with Taric and Ryze, and he has Promote. Nunu also gives you access to a psuedo-Smite for dragon.

That's right, Ryze! He went bot instead of mid, and now Taric+Ryze are fed and alternate between blowing up their lane and stealing your jungle with Nunu and whoever it was you sent mid. Right, you sent Kennen mid. So you've got a lot of CC, poke from Ken/Ez, and three pretty tanky champions along with a lot of magic. Maybe Ez isn't the best in this case, maybe it's a harder physically emphasized champion like Vayne or Draven. I bet Draven craps on a lot of top lanes, actually. I dunno. You can mess around!

The best part is that people will typically be runed/specc'ed *all wrong* against your comp because the lane and strat compositions are so wonky. I really want to mess around with it, but I can't for several months because I'll be out of country with no solid computer/internet.

Hondafoo: My LoL tag actually IS Eskimaux now. Go figure.
I dont see why you need a dedicated tri-lane bot to run this strat. Just have one person take smite and make a kill lane bot with like any combination of taric/blitz/leona+Somebody with a lot of early damage like panth/j4/xin. Then after the jungler clears he just camps that lane until the jungle respawns. This way you have the added benefit of jungle xp/gold as well as smite for added buff control. You could also send graves/ez/draven top and have them afk farm until mid game when you start trying to take that top or mid tower too.

I dont like having 3 bot at all times because if you fail to take the tower or get fb real fast, then you start falling behind and its not like you can force a tower dive at levels 1-5 if they are playing smart.

I would be down to try this out whenever you can play :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Is Rengar 100% first pick or ban nowadays? It looks like he's banned even more than Shen/Ali now, and I get *****ed at when I don't ban him. I get *****ed at when I don't ban a lot of things, but sadly I only get three bans, and there's a lot of extremely strong champs right now.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
When you don't ban Eve and they get Eve who somehow has like 50 more cs than our team's karthus at 16 minutes and is 5/0 or something?

When you don't ban Shaco and then Shaya's on the enemy team and goes like 8/0 or something then can 1v1 anyone and pushes lanes?

That time when you don't ban Ezreal and your AD picks someone awkward like Vayne or something?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
The reason I'm interested in at least TRYING the dedicated tri-lane--and it's barely even dedicated, since it starts fragmenting into a more dominating map-control style after getting that first tower--is because YUNOJANGLE. t's an excuse to break out of that boring mold and try interesting, unorthodox stuff. Even if you only learn that it doesn't work, the things you take away from it might help you later on even when you're being orthodox.

I think this would also open up more of certain champions. Karma would be ****ing boss in a trilane that emphasized pushing. Her main weakness as a support (IMO) is that she pushes when she does things, and she can't choose if she does so or not. But having her kit in a 3v1 or 3v2 would basically shaft people trying to defend their tower because mantra-shield = you don't get to defend your own tower. And then you could still have CC in that lane.

So many champs don't get played that you could structure the initial tri-lane around--using the two supporting champs to neutralize their weaknesses and emphasize strengths--and it's pretty much a fact that every team is good if it gets far enough ahead. At any rate it would be fun to try, I think. And I'm down to see it modified as long as it gets people to be more goofy and creative and break away from

METAGAME
METAGAME
METAGAME
METAGAME
METAGAME

Top Bottom