• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One last thing from me, for now.

Doesn't it seem peculiar that Partner Showcases would end for now two months short of the years' end? It's not like there would be a complete lack of third parties wanting their releases shown off, so Nintendo might be readying up some news of their own. 🤔

In regards to the Bayonetta thing, the wording implied that they really weren't in a position to add hardcore fan wishes at the time, so they checked if a fighter they were working on was in the ballot, went "close enough" and the rest was history. Between fans wanting a "winner", and the staff only leaving the "choices might be considered for future Smash sequels" fine print on the Japanese site of the ballot, the whole thing was a misunderstanding on all sides (especially the whole suggestion box poll = voting ballot thing).

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
K Rool won the Ballot. Either that or one of the veterans (Snake?), which probably gave Sakurai the idea to bring everyone back.
If I recall correctly the idea to bring everyone back was actually one of the last conversations that Sakurai and Iwata had together. It was essentially as much about pleasing fans by bringing everyone back and honoring his friend and the legacy they had working on the series together.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Im curious you Geno Fans do you also like Mallow and if yes how should he be involved in a potential Geno Character?
I like Mallow and if he was incorporated into Geno's moveset I think it'd be with grabs and final smash. Mallow has stretchy arms so he could pop out and use them as a tether grab and then assist with throws like Toad does with Peach.

I can understand why some people don't want that because tether grabs tend to suck unless your name is Luigi.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Im curious you Geno Fans do you also like Mallow and if yes how should he be involved in a potential Geno Character?
Personally, I like Mallow. He has a cool back story and he has some fun moves. I just don't find him to be as cool or likeable as Geno. Geno was a character that really resonated with a lot of people and its why many of us wanna see Geno return, so he can get his a$$ back home. To answer your second question, I really don't think they should be a tag team, especially if its an Ice Climbers-esque tag team. If its Pokemon Trainer-esque then I guess that would be cool, but then at that point you might as well make Mallow a separate character, and I also don't think Sakurai wants to put the extra work in to making two fighters at once. I think Mallow could work best as a taunt, cameo in Geno's stage, or a part of Geno's victory animations, but I don't think Mallow should share the same slot as Geno.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Personally, I like Mallow. He has a cool back story and he has some fun moves. I just don't find him to be as cool or likeable as Geno. Geno was a character that really resonated with a lot of people and its why many of us wanna see Geno return, so he can get his a$$ back home. To answer your second question, I really don't think they should be a tag team, especially if its an Ice Climbers-esque tag team. If its Pokemon Trainer-esque then I guess that would be cool, but then at that point you might as well make Mallow a separate character, and I also don't think Sakurai wants to put the extra work in to making two fighters at once. I think Mallow could work best as a taunt, cameo in Geno's stage, or a part of Geno's victory animations, but I don't think Mallow should share the same slot as Geno.
I also love Mallow but think this too. He can work fine also as part of Final Smash helping Geno, like Mega Legends.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Mallow's cool. He's a nice little ray of sunshine and while his arc is pretty basic, it's still done very effectively.

How about having one Mallow Special?
If they're to incorporate Mallow anywhere in Geno's moveset, it would likely either be...
  1. His grab, functioning as a tether recovery,
  2. One or more of his taunts, or
  3. As part of his Final Smash, perhaps by using his cymbals to initiate Geno's Final Smash assuming it's a cinematic.

QQS

Smash Lord
A premium costume of Mallow would be even better. With Geno playable im done 100%. And also I think Mallow will be a cameo or in a Move. But imagine premium costume, the MarioRPG gang complete, it will be like 101% perfection.

Of course I’m grateful only with Geno and no Premium Mallow, but who knows :)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Super easy way to shove Mallow in and just help the final smash in the long run be better despite being a glorified cinematic will be just having all SMRPG party members throw out their definitive moves. Mario uses the goddawful fireball, Mallow uses whatever his is (can't remember), Peach uses Psych Bomb (is that it's name?) and Bowser uses his which I presume is something fire based which I can't remember either and obviously finish with Geno's. If they really wanted they could add other SMRPG characters who aren't party members, like maybe it finishes with Exor slamming into them from above just to really showcase SMRPG in the modern era

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I’m in the same boat as everyone else really. If he were to show up in the game he’d probably be used in Geno’s grab animation, in a taunt, or in Geno’s final smash.

This is just my opinion here, but I think Mallow not being involved in Geno’s moveset would be a bit of a missed opportunity. He doesn’t have to be a tag team character with Geno or anything, but I think him showing up for Geno’s grab, maybe a taunt or two, and his final smash would be the perfect way to represent Geno and Mallow, without having to sacrifice any of Geno’s rad moveset potential.

Obviously I’m still gonna be over the moon if Geno gets in the game, regardless of whether or not Mallow appears in some form. But a man can dream dang it!

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I actually love Mallow just as much as Geno, and the majority of my reason for being such a strong internet advocate of Geno is in hopes that bringing attention to Geno (through the means of Smash Bros) will bring attention to SMRPG and thus bring attention to Mallow. I really want these two characters to become more canon and involved in Nintendo and Square universes (yes I realize it’s unlikely but a boy can dream...)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ideally it would be Geno AND Mallow but in times long since forgotten by the current generations (2005), it was decreed by the Council of Elders on the Sacred Grounds once known as Nsider that it would be better for the SMRPG fanbase overall if we predominantly rallied behind one or the other. By that decree, the last 15 years of history hath been written and so we carry on the work of our foreforum fathers' will.

Based on how Sakurai has handled other characters, I feel like Mallow has a good chance of being in Geno's taunts and victory screens at the very least. If we're really lucky he'll be on the Grand Smash Tapestry and maybe be incorporated into some Geno's moves somehow.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
“Yeah yeah she wasn’t actually that requested but Nintendo said she was so they’ll be doing it for real this time”
View attachment 292912
It’s not happening lmao. Christ you guys complained about Byleth for Months on end and now you’re setting yourselves up for the exact same disappointment.
It’s like you didn’t learn anything
you okay bro?? Hit my DMs if you need a chill pill

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ideally it would be Geno AND Mallow but in times long since forgotten by the current generations (2005), it was decreed by the Council of Elders on the Sacred Grounds once known as Nsider that it would be better for the SMRPG fanbase overall if we predominantly rallied behind one or the other. By that decree, the last 15 years of history hath been written and so we carry on the work of our foreforum fathers' will.

Based on how Sakurai has handled other characters, I feel like Mallow has a good chance of being in Geno's taunts and victory screens at the very least. If we're really lucky he'll be on the Grand Smash Tapestry and maybe be incorporated into some Geno's moves somehow.
Not to mention that his spirit would be near-guaranteed to get on Geno's spirit board no matter what happens. But given the precedent set by most DLC fighters thus far, I'm realistically not expecting Mallow to show up in Geno's moveset. The Timed Hits gimmick would be quite enough to implement as it is.

In any case, after all the blood, sweat and tears that have been spilt, I'd be more than content with just Geno as a SMRPG representative. Besides, I'd focus my efforts on other SE characters after that.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

Okay you articulated it MUCH better than I did. This was exactly what I was trying to say

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, with today basically confirmed to not have any Smash related news, it's becoming more and more apparent that next week is possibly where we'll find our golden goose.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If anything, though he may not be first in the pass, being a wanted by Sakurai, the man himself is gonna want Geno announced ASAP. I can see that being the case.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Okay, with today basically confirmed to not have any Smash related news, it's becoming more and more apparent that next week is possibly where we'll find our golden goose.

I feel like we've been saying "we'll get more news next week" for months now (though I know that's not the case since Steve was announced in either late September or early October - it just feels like it's been months since then).

I hate these periods of radio silence; it seems like (aside from Super Mario 3D World coming out and a bunch of Mario games getting removed from physical and digital storefronts) we know nothing about what Nintendo has planned going forward.

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Damn, I missed that meeting, I would have voted for Mallow... Oh well, what's done is done

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

I feel like we've been saying "we'll get more news next week" for months now (though I know that's not the case since Steve was announced in either late September or early October - it just feels like it's been months since then).

I hate these periods of radio silence; it seems like (aside from Super Mario 3D World coming out and a bunch of Mario games getting removed from physical and digital storefronts) we know nothing about what Nintendo has planned going forward.
The lack of transparency is frustrating, I don't disagree. But eventually, they have to give us something substantial. 4 months is too long a period for no news from them to speak of if you count all of December through March.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

Oh look, it's a pic of me 5 years ago!
Yeah, I kinda hope that this radio silence ends soon because it's kinda unsettling... (even if it's just Smash for the moment, although I wouldn't mind a General Direct)

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I'd be lying if I wasn't annoyed by this either (I made a post about it last week) but this is the first time in awhile where it genuinely feels like "we might actually be getting a news dump soon" We're still waiting on the Doom Eternal Switch news they said was coming this month, so that just kinda leaves Monday unless they drop it on it's own over the weekend (why). Game Awards is less than 2 weeks away so at the very least we're getting something relatively soon.

(Also Nate seems to be teasing something for next week potentially? Doesn't seem super solid on it but feels like the first time in months anyone ""notable"" has said anything.)

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Reading all of this Mallow talk before going to bed made me dream about the guy. I was playing Galaxy 2, but for some reason the Cosmic Spirit had a much larger role as a mentor-type character, and seemed to regularly shapeshift into other people for emphasis during conversations, though keeping the 'featureless cosmos' appearance.

Before one random boss, it shifted into Mallow and said something like "Really whack 'em, Mario!" And I was really surprised that nobody had noticed that ever since the game was out. I was gonna get on here to point it out, but then I woke up.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Bethesda's got until Monday if their last statement on "much more information near the end of the month" on DOOM Eternal's Switch version is to actually materialize.

On another topic; the Super Mario-themed tournament is supposed to be on December 5th, correct? However, I've only seen it somewhat being announced for Japan (via the SuperMario35th twitter). Will it be held on the same day for NA? Hmm... 🤔

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
K Rool won the Ballot. Either that or one of the veterans (Snake?), which probably gave Sakurai the idea to bring everyone back.
Honestly, we'll never know the true Ballot results. There could have been characters that scored higher than the veterans, Bayonetta, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Steve but wasn't chosen due to legal issues and Sakurai and Nintendo not being able to negotiate with said legal issue characters' rights owners. Like, it wouldn't surprise me if Sora did better on the Ballot than all these characters did because his popularity is just that far out there. Plus, I believe it would be a very bad idea for Nintendo to release the Ballot results as that would make a lot of people angry within the community and people would be attacking other fanbases of characters who are more popular than their favorites.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
It’s gonna be so weird if Geno gets revealed. Because after that I might actually be able to just relax and enjoy the rest of the characters. This must be how Ridley fans feel.
Yep, you got that right.

After the years of waiting, pain, heart break, and headaches (dealing with detractors), it's great to leave the old speculation behind.

I was able to sit back and enjoy the ride in peace.

Not to say I don't care anymore, I do still have characters that I'd like to get in.

There are other characters that, while I'm not a huge (heheh) fan of, I still wouldn't mind them being in.

However, my main focus was Ridley, he's in now, so I'm not as invested into speculation anymore.

The take from this is: Patience can get rewarded.

Time will tell. 4 spots left on the pass. Is it Geno's time? We shall see.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Still, if there is an announcement, and it has to do with the Mario anniversary, well...

Take a guess on who that character could most likely be that will be announced. Don't ask me who; just take a moment to think, okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom