• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Hey guys, long time no see. Hope everybody is doing well.

I've just been playing a lot of other games on the side while waiting for any kind of Smash-related news. I recently played through Secret of Evermore (another old forgotten SNES title from Square) and even named my character after Geno - I've been doing this on occasion lately in games where they let me name my character. Just hoping we'll be getting any kind of announcements in the following month.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So this person hasn’t heard about SMRPG but speculates that it would have bonus content? Confused..
No, they had heard that the SMRPG Remake that most people have heard is actually a Remaster and the main difference would be improved visuals but still in the "2 1/2 D" isometric view.

LunarisDreams

Smash Cadet
Well with all the talks of a SMRPG remake/remaster, it all ties into those predictions.

A potential SMRPG remake would be a very very big deal to Nintendo/Square, as well to a lot of us fans...and what better way than to push it than having playable Geno, alongside Mallow and Smithy mii costumes?
Also, assuming Geno’s mii costume won’t return with him, I could see Mallow/Smithy costumes taking the place of Geno’s mii costume.

I'm not really Fatman, but I am curious; what is it?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well with all the talks of a SMRPG remake/remaster, it all ties into those predictions.

A potential SMRPG remake would be a very very big deal to Nintendo/Square, as well to a lot of us fans...and what better way than to push it than having playable Geno, alongside Mallow and Smithy mii costumes?
Also, assuming Geno’s mii costume won’t return with him, I could see Mallow/Smithy costumes taking the place of Geno’s mii costume.
Not bad. I kinda already thought something like that before, but you said it first. I wonder why the Mallow and Smithy costumes weren't revealed before?

LunarisDreams

Smash Cadet
Or maybe there was a delay in the Remake and SMRPG coming to NSO as well.
Could be as well, wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case due to the pandemic and all.
But it seems like Square is starting to pick up steam again, so it shouldn’t be too long before we start to see all these rumors being confirmed.

in regards to Mallow/Smithy, they might be saving em for a special reveal
:geno:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Could be as well, wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case due to the pandemic and all.
But it seems like Square is starting to pick up steam again, so it shouldn’t be too long before we start to see all these rumors being confirmed.

in regards to Mallow/Smithy, they might be saving em for a special reveal
:geno:
Still, how did they come to decide on a SMRPG remake? Not that I don't think it will happen, I am just curious.

And how would it look? Would it look like that Final Fantasy VII remake, maybe?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yes, Mii Costume Guy mentioned Mallow and Smithy in July 2019. The only other Square Enix content he had brought up was 2B but we don't know as what. As a reminder, "Mii Costume Guy's List" has defaulted to Mii costumes because, on that list, Cuphead is the only one to come true so far. The other characters could be spirits because it's ultimately a pool of names that were mentioned by him or one of his in-betweens between November 2019 and January 2020. There have been no updates to this list since late last December so there's been no edits or backtracking.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I gotta ask, am I the only one who doesn't believe the SMRPG remake\sequel rumors? Like, as much as I would love a sequel or remake of this game, I personally feel its more on the wishful thinking side personally.

Also, I came across this interview yesterday and I think this could definitely hurt the chances of us getting a new SMRPG remake\sequel. This interview was from 2013, however, so things most likely have changed from seven years ago. (FYI, I don't think this interview affects Geno's chances for Smash, just the SMRPG remake\sequel rumors).

Super Mario RPG Interview

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I gotta ask, am I the only one who doesn't believe the SMRPG remake\sequel rumors? Like, as much as I would love a sequel or remake of this game, I personally feel its more on the wishful thinking side personally.

Also, I came across this interview yesterday and I think this could definitely hurt the chances of us getting a new SMRPG remake\sequel. This interview was from 2013, however, so things most likely have changed from seven years ago. (FYI, I don't think this interview affects Geno's chances for Smash, just the SMRPG remake\sequel rumors).

Despite what I may have said, I do believe such a remake IS a bit far fetched. I mean, why would they make such a thing at this time?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

By the way, that post you did about owning 4 versions of SMRPG reminded me of how that skipped over the 3DS VC for no apparent reason. In fact, I don't think it even had any VC rereleases from SE, yet a few games of theirs still got on the SNES Mini (including SMRPG).

This is probably telling.

Despite what I may have said, I do believe such a remake IS a bit far fetched. I mean, why would they make such a thing at this time?
The one reasoning I can think of would be so that Geno can "promote" something recent if he does join the pass.

Most DLC characters for this run were at least partially intended to draw attention/be a tie in to a recent or forthcoming release.
:ultjoker: : Persona Q/5 S: Phantom Strikers
:ulthero:: Dragon Quest XI
:ult_terry:: SNK stuff in general, though some will bring up King of Fighters XV
:ultbyleth:: Three Houses
:ultsteve:: Minecraft Dungeons

The only outliers so far are :ultbanjokazooie: and :ultminmin, since their releases aren't that recent anymore, and :ultpiranha: is an unusual special case.

In the case of Geno, I suppose it would be to help meet the recent demand for 3D Mario games via a SMRPG remaster. Plus seemingly unbelievable leaks for things like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Pikmin 3 DX and Super Mario 3D World DX all eventually came true, so who knows?

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I think it's time a lot of people move on from the Grinch leak, it's been over 2 years now and it's honestly just sad seeing people still upset about it.
I understand still remembering being disappointed over it but now it's time to let it go, Geno is in.
Especially the weird obsessive PTSD some people have over it.
Yes, it was a hype rumor that got deconfirmed in the worst way possible, but it was one exception, not the rule. Get over yourselves and quit dooming.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

By the way, that post you did about owning 4 versions of SMRPG reminded me of how that skipped over the 3DS VC for no apparent reason. In fact, I don't think it even had any VC rereleases from SE, yet a few games of theirs still got on the SNES Mini (including SMRPG).

This is probably telling.

The one reasoning I can think of would be so that Geno can "promote" something recent if he does join the pass.

Most DLC characters for this run were at least partially intended to draw attention/be a tie in to a recent or forthcoming release.
:ultjoker: : Persona Q/5 S: Phantom Strikers
:ulthero:: Dragon Quest XI
:ult_terry:: SNK stuff in general, though some will bring up King of Fighters XV
:ultbyleth:: Three Houses
:ultsteve:: Minecraft Dungeons

The only outliers so far are :ultbanjokazooie: and :ultminmin, since their releases aren't that recent anymore, and :ultpiranha: is an unusual special case.

In the case of Geno, I suppose it would be to help meet the recent demand for 3D Mario games via a SMRPG remaster. Plus seemingly unbelievable leaks for things like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Pikmin 3 DX and Super Mario 3D World DX all eventually came true, so who knows?
Just realized that, it's funny that Super Mario RPG pretty much was Nintendo's first step on experimenting with 3D-esque graphics for the Super Mario franchise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

A lot has changed since 2013. For example, this was two years before Cloud in Smash and Alpha Dream wasn't hemmoraging money to a slow death yet. Coincidentally, 2015 was the year that the relationship between Square and Nintendo had a huge turn around and now they're arguably on the best terms they've been since the SNES days.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I can believe a Remaster more over a Remake or Sequel. they may not want to go to Remake or Sequel land...yet

What Bonus Content could they add though? Would they finally add Luigi as Playable?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What Bonus Content could they add though? Would they finally add Luigi as Playable?
Honestly, just that would make the investment worth it for me. Always had a nagging feeling how he somehow wasn't anywhere to be found until that parade ending.

Though we could always get some sort of "continuation" expansion content like SE occasionally likes to do, like those extra dungeons in mainline Nintendo era Final Fantasy ports/remakes.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

This doesn't change much because a lot has changed since 2013 for Nintendo and Square, if Geno is in Smash, they'll likely want to get the most out of it as possible by making a sequel to promote the inclusion.

D

Deleted member

That makes a lot of sense when I think about it. Several of these characters on the list ended up getting major announcements. Mallow/Smithy means playable Geno, new SMRPG game, NSO, or all of the above.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can believe a Remaster more over a Remake or Sequel. they may not want to go to Remake or Sequel land...yet

The way Chrono Trigger DS did it was that they added several very lengthy side quests and a good number of secret bosses, including a boss that ties the events of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross together. These added a surprising amount of gameplay and, honestly, make it the best version of the game by considerable amount in my opinion. If you know what you're doing, Chrono Trigger can be beat in about 20 hours and one of the enduring criticism of the original was that it was kind of short for a JRPG and the end of the game felt super rushed. SMRPG has similar problems. SMRPG has decent pacing and it's about the length of your typical Mario RPG but really short in the grand scheme of JRPGs. Increased level caps, HD visuals and audio, additional side quests, and even something as simple as NOT ALWAYS HAVING TO HAVE MARIO ON YOUR TEAM (this annoyed me even as a kid) are simple things that in my eyes would warrant me buying it yet again.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The way Chrono Trigger DS did it was that they added several very lengthy side quests and a good number of secret bosses, including a boss that ties the events of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross together. These added a surprising amount of gameplay and, honestly, make it the best version of the game by considerable amount in my opinion. If you know what you're doing, Chrono Trigger can be beat in about 20 hours and one of the enduring criticism of the original was that it was kind of short for a JRPG and the end of the game felt super rushed. SMRPG has similar problems. SMRPG has decent pacing and it's about the length of your typical Mario RPG but really short in the grand scheme of JRPGs. Increased level caps, HD visuals and audio, additional side quests, and even something as simple as NOT ALWAYS HAVING TO HAVE MARIO ON YOUR TEAM (this annoyed me even as a kid) are simple things that in my eyes would warrant me buying it yet again.
Yeah, that's what would make me buy the game again beyond the SNES original.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
This talk of what could be added to a SMRPG remake made me think of a nice discussion question. If you could add a superboss to a SMRPG remake, what kind of superboss would you add? Would it be someone from the Mario universe, maybe from another Mario RPG game, a Final Fantasy-esque boss like Culex, or someone that exists in the SMRPG lore.

I would like to see either Jinx's master, one of Booster's relatives, the "higher authority", or a fight with the Toad with the bazooka.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Yeah I don't really buy it either tbh. I've seen some state it as an outright inevitability when that really isn't the case. I know it got public through RogersBase but that's about it. Yes, some names have heard it but the names in question are hardly anything to consider. EG yes RB is a brand ambassador and apparently has some knowledge internally but it's not exactly coming from anywhere that has an extensive track record. It's super cliche (the lack of reliable names backing it) but the chances of it actually coming to fruition are honestly pretty low. A collective of people have heard it but it could just as easily be coming from different places or just fodder. There may be someone reliable backing it but once pretty much everyone keeps tabs on the most notable people and seemingly nothing has came out of it, I doubt it.

I wouldn't use the interview as a point against though as that was a long time ago. I can definitely see a SNES online rerelease though. Chances are that's being withheld to coincide with Geno.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What about a remake?
looks at the slew of rereleases and remasters Square has been doing
Yeah that seems plausible.
I think it's more possible then what others say.
I mean, maybe but I don’t really see it happening at the moment. A remake or remaster seems a lot more likely considering it hasn’t shown up on Super Nintendo Online.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of a remake of Super Mario RPG: What kind of new features, places or other things would you guys like to see in such a remake? This can include fixes, too.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So Pretty Much Is this what the plan is?

SMRPG Remake, Remaster, Sequel, whatever will hit the Switch. this would Help Alleviate Geno being a Irrelevant Character, as this will be a Newish Recent release on the Switch

It would also help get the more casual crowd more familiar with Geno, and the other SMRPG Characters

They then use Smash as a Way to boost this game. they know Smash fans been wanting Geno, so they get the Smash Fans to Play SMRPG on the Switch, and they use Geno in smash as the Boost to the game's sales

So they The SMRPG Game and Smash feed off each other in that Sort of Fashion

yes?

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Speaking of a remake of Super Mario RPG: What kind of new features, places or other things would you guys like to see in such a remake? This can include fixes, too.
-Make Mallow a worthy late-game party member
-Nerf Peach
-boss rush mode with good rewards
-playable Luigi (complete with vacuum based attacks)
-playable Yoshi
-side quests that flesh out your party (maybe track down more of Bowser’s army)
-reasons to return to earlier levels
-Allow battles without Mario

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This talk of what could be added to a SMRPG remake made me think of a nice discussion question. If you could add a superboss to a SMRPG remake, what kind of superboss would you add? Would it be someone from the Mario universe, maybe from another Mario RPG game, a Final Fantasy-esque boss like Culex, or someone that exists in the SMRPG lore.

I would like to see either Jinx's master, one of Booster's relatives, the "higher authority", or a fight with the Toad with the bazooka.
Lots of places they could insert super bosses with it still feeling natural:

-Kero Sewers

-Forest Maze

-Moleville Mines

-Booster Tower

-Sunken Ship

-Monstro Town

-Barrell Volcano

-Bowser's Keep

-Factory

Maybe additional characters. Luigi, Croco, and Toad seem obvious but I'd love a new original character.

Something simple like a boss rush mode would be awesome, especially if they handled them like the Mario and Luigi games.

Hard mode seems like good addition too.

Maybe a museum mode where you can see 3D character models.

Color and appearance differences between armor and accessories would be a nice touch too.

Prologue and epilogue chapters that go into the history of Mallow, Geno, and Smithy. I always found it interesting that Geno heavily implied that he had fought the Smithy Gang before so it would be cool to have some backstory on that.

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
You Know what, Actually there was something I'm wondering

You guys know the Axem Rangers right. Am I the only one here that knew of those characters from Super Mario Bros Z Before Knowing they were in SMRPG?
Of course not! I also first started seeing them in SMBZ as well! Sometimes I accidentally keep calling them the Axem Rangers X!

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
You Know what, Actually there was something I'm wondering

You guys know the Axem Rangers right. Am I the only one here that knew of those characters from Super Mario Bros Z Before Knowing they were in SMRPG?
Still one of my favorite moments was seeing that huge fight between Team Mario v Koopa Bros. v Axem Rangers. I wish we could get Shadow just to recreate Super Mario Bros. Z.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Everybody's worrying about @QQS being too optimistic when they should really be worrying about Malo Mart Malo Mart . That guy has been way too optimistic for too long now, HE NEEDS TO BE TAKEN DOWN!! :ultpacman:
Two weeks late, but you fool! I'm not so much optimistic as I am a devout follower of the Cacomallow religion. During these trying, arduous times, the one thing that keeps us going is Cacomallow. Take it down, and speculation becomes a toxic wasteland. As the leader of the Cacomallow movement, I must eliminate you before you eliminate me. :ultpacman:

cacomallowgun.png

Credit to OffBi OffBi for the original Mallow Gun image.
mallowgun.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom