• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
WHAT I'M SENDING IS A MOCKUP

View attachment 292987
I think we're going to see something like this in due time.
This is a very well done mock up. For a moment I actually thought it was real, hahaha. Not sure if we're getting another Arms situation but for Geno? It might be worth it.

Honestly, reading up these last pages: "Next week guys, for sure! Ooh lawd, he coming~!" I'm not sure. At this point, we might as well be one month away from 2021. IMO, ots either the Game Awards or wait until January. And that's what I think is the most sensible thing to happen at this point.

If at one point Sakurai and Co. Decide to do a double reveal, they might get ahead of schedule and finish the pass early. But if they stay as usual with a reveal every three months or so, they can still meet the end date, but barely.

:bowser: .

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Got these from the NCS Thread.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Got these from the NCS Thread.

Yea, I kinda mentioned it earlier but didn't really elaborate since he didn't commit to anything specific. Just... something. If it actually is something important, IE: A Major Presentation or Game Announcement, I think we'll have more clear answers from people before then.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If that were to happen I can only imagine what the chaos between the Geno and Waluigi fandom would be like.
View attachment 293002
But the Geno and Waluigi fanbases are brothers in arms though. We shouldn't have no ugly dispute over something like this if it happens.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
But the Geno and Waluigi fanbases are brothers in arms though. We shouldn't have no ugly dispute over something like this if it happens.
we´re in the same boat but not necessarily brothers in arms. Waluigi´s chances was ruined by the internet harrasing Sakurai.
Seeing how it´s almost december, I think that people should chill and have a hope in hell that there might be an announcement on the game awards.
Everything before that date is probably; Wacky Weird Wholesome Speculative Out there Speculation.
If it´s not then, then it probably will be on the third or fourth week of January.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, Square Enix just announced this out of nowhere:

That's three big announcements in less than a week. During the summer, they said they had a lot of announcements but not much came of it because they pulled a Nintendo, putting on a brave face but secretly COVID had completely halted development. Now Square is comfortably announcing things one after the other... And Switch games, no less... Is the time approaching? Find out on the next episode of Smash Ball Z.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Not to mention that his spirit would be near-guaranteed to get on Geno's spirit board no matter what happens. But given the precedent set by most DLC fighters thus far, I'm realistically not expecting Mallow to show up in Geno's moveset. The Timed Hits gimmick would be quite enough to implement as it is.

In any case, after all the blood, sweat and tears that have been spilt, I'd be more than content with just Geno as a SMRPG representative. Besides, I'd focus my efforts on other SE characters after that.
Maybe not his moveset, but I think there’s precedent for Mallow being in the taunts or being prominent on the stage. The DLC’s had a lot of cameos so far.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

That's three big announcements in less than a week. During the summer, they said they had a lot of announcements but not much came of it because they pulled a Nintendo, putting on a brave face but secretly COVID had completely halted development. Now Square is comfortably announcing things one after the other... And Switch games, no less... Is the time approaching? Find out on the next episode of Smash Ball Z.
Which is why Geno was meant to be 77, but because of stupid covid, Square couldn’t work, so Sakurai had to go to plan B and just work on Steve?

QQS

Smash Lord

SMRPG Classic 1996 remake! With Geno joining the battle also!

D

Deleted member

Which is why Geno was meant to be 77, but because of stupid covid, Square couldn’t work, so Sakurai had to go to plan B and just work on Steve?
Would Nintendo reveal a third party character whenever they want or they have to wait till the company approves showing the reveal? I think it makes sense to swap Steve because he seems complicated to work on with all this programming in his stage and what not.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Like we noticed, a good number of Mario Smash Amiibo (Mario, Luigi, and Daisy) and both versions of Cloud were rereleased in September alongside Joker and Hero. What's interesting is we knew this because of the Polish Amiibo leak in May which had these Amiibo around mid September. We do know that good number of things got shuffled around. For example, the Breath of the Wild Amiibo rereleases were supposed to be in September but were moved to November to accompany AoC and, for whatever reason, the Splatoon Amiibo rereleases wound up being October releases.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I’m just asking. I thought the theory was that Square has been held back from developing because of the pandemic, and thus why Geno hasn’t been revealed.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Again, what are the odds of some news happening next week?
Of something happening, about 90-95%, but the nature seems to be 100% unknown: it could be as small as a twitter drop and as big as a General.
In resume, keep expectations in check because it can be the former, but don't go dooming because it can be latter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Like we noticed, a good number of Mario Smash Amiibo (Mario, Luigi, and Daisy) and both versions of Cloud were rereleased in September alongside Joker and Hero. What's interesting is we knew this because of the Polish Amiibo leak in May which had these Amiibo around mid September. We do know that good number of things got shuffled around. For example, the Breath of the Wild Amiibo rereleases were supposed to be in September but were moved to November to accompany AoC and, for whatever reason, the Splatoon Amiibo rereleases wound up being October releases.
Not to mention the Gamestop incident. I'll quote the whole thing from TV Tropes' Epileptic Trees section for Ultimate under the spoiler here:

On July 15, 2020, a GameStop video discussing Paper Mario: The Origami King included the line "I mean, there's a reason people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash" over footage of his Spirit Battle intro screen, with the obvious problem being that he wasn't announced as anything, be it spirit, fighter, Mii costume, or anything in between. This resulted in speculation and debates over whether it was just a poor choice of words, an assumption about his Spirit (which wasn't "announced") or Mii Costume (which was only in 3DS/Wii U), or a script written under the expectation that Geno already would've been revealed by the time the video went live (as, had E3 not been canceled, the next Smash DLCs probably would have been revealed during the event), with the fact that he had not been shown slipping by the editors (who, if Geno was on his way, might have had a myopic view of the information). The next day, the video ended up getting delisted, and then relisted; after that, GameStop pinned a comment claiming they were referring to the Spirit battle, unpinned it, repinned it after editing it (adding a statement to the end saying that they "don't have any information regarding new Smash characters that the public doesn't have"), unpinned it again, and replied to the comment reaffirming that they don't have any unreleased information and hedging their bets on another Fire Emblem character. On the 19th, GameStop then edited the ad to cut out the sentence about Geno's "announcement" entirely, with this new version being the one to play in stores. Due to the very rushed damage control in spite of GameStop's ignoring the discussion earlier, the multiple reiterations of their lack of information, and the fact that they removed the bit about Geno's announcement despite having already claimed the cut portion was referring to the Spirit battle, this led to the belief that it was indeed a leak, thanks to the classic Streisand Effect.

TLDR; the staff were somehow under the impression that a fighter announcement was going to happen on schedule.

In all seriousness, I'm glad Saga Frontier just came back, I felt like that game's potential was held back by having some of its planned content cut.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Of something happening, about 90-95%, but the nature seems to be 100% unknown: it could be as small as a twitter drop and as big as a General.
In resume, keep expectations in check because it can be the former, but don't go dooming because it can be latter.
I am expecting a Twitter at most as well.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I do think Geno is very likely to be the next character, but I don’t think these Square Deals mean anything, that happened a lot before DLC 7 too and we all know how that turned out.
I also don’t believe swap theories at all either. Steve is very, very much E3 material. Sure, Geno as 7 would’ve been cool, but I don’t see what’s so “odd” about him being 8. That’s the same spot Banjo was in, within Fighter Pass 1.

QQS

Smash Lord
The Half of the pass must be Geno and Crash. Both legends in their own world. Both from 1996. Biggest mascot left + biggest fan demand left. Both turning 25 years in 2021.

Geno = 8
Crash = 9

LETS GETS THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Swap theory is pure speculative tinfoil hat action at it's best, and yet... part of me wants to believe Steve was indeed completed on time due to a hard deadline. Sakurai himself stated that Steve was finished on time, but the hard deadline is a collective interpretation.

Now, with the sudden influx of Square news and the supposed promise of doom news soon, my cacomallow senses are tingling. Despite that interview where someone said Doomslayer wasn't coming to smash (if someone could correct me thatd be great), how Vault Boy a Bethesda property came alongside Min Min, and the concerns of properly representing Doom in smash, it makes my brain spin.

Theres a lot that goes in the face of Doom alone, but especially Cacomallow and any implied connection between Doom and Geno. Yet I want to believe.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So, E3 2019 Square and Microsoft Smash DLC.
Hero and Banjo

E3 2020(no pandemic) Microsoft and Square DLC.
Steve and Geno
The thing I find rather interesting about all of this is that if this is accurate, that would mean that Square would get one promotional character (Hero), and one fan pick (Geno), and Microsoft would get one promotional character (Steve), and one fan pick (Banjo). It almost seems too convenient to just be a coincidence, especially since Geno just so happens to be the most speculated character as of right now.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I wanted to believe in Grinch leak. I remember how much it stung aftward. And I still think Geno has the best chances he’s ever had, even without the CacoMallow leak. Which is why I’m trying not to put too much into CacoMallow.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly looking back, I'm actually glad the Grinch Leak was fake. While sure, the leak did have tons of huge fan favorite characters and two of my most wanteds with Banjo and Geno, the surprise factor would have been killed for everyone if the leak was real, and I would hate it if the characters were leaked in that way. Not only that, but I also feel the hype for the DLC characters wouldn't have been as huge if they did add every fan favorite character under the sun in the base roster.

While I would have loved the leak to be real, I'm kinda glad that the hype for Smash is resuming and we still have reasons to be excited for the future characters. (And also, this may be personal bias because Banjo and Geno were my two most wanteds from that leak, and with Banjo already in and Geno seeming more and more likely as each day goes by, its very likely those will be the two characters from that leak that will ultimately get included once Ultimate is finished).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I just had a thought, what if the Super Mario RPG Remake is just a Remaster with a fresh coat of paint and upgraded HD visuals like SaGa Frontier Remaster.
I had one person I talk to say this back in July. Basically improved visuals and maybe some bonus content like Chrono Trigger DS got is what they had heard. This person, however, is the only one who didn't hear remake or sequel but I'd take it either way. I own four different versions of SMRPG and I'd happily buy a fifth if this one proves to be true.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I had one person I talk to say this back in July. Basically improved visuals and maybe some bonus content like Chrono Trigger DS got is what they had heard. This person, however, is the only one who didn't hear remake or sequel but I'd take it either way. I own four different versions of SMRPG and I'd happily buy a fifth if this one proves to be true.
So this person hasn’t heard about SMRPG but speculates that it would have bonus content? Confused..

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it'll be a simple remaster with extra content, that just sounds silly to me, I think a full on sequel is much more likely.
Didn't they already make it fully HD on the Wii U? How much more can they remaster a RPG from 1996?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom