• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pretty sure when I was kid I made up additional Axem Rangers. I remember as a kid being bummed that there wasn't a Blue Axem Ranger because the Blue Power Ranger (Billy) was by far my favorite. I would love for them to something corny like there secretly being an "elite team" or something as a super boss.

D

Deleted member

I gotta ask, am I the only one who doesn't believe the SMRPG remake\sequel rumors? Like, as much as I would love a sequel or remake of this game, I personally feel its more on the wishful thinking side personally.
Nah, you're not. Nintendo showed they don't have a damn about Mario RPGs with Origami King still not being a "return to form" for the third time in a row, despite the backlash. They don't care about their flagship RPG turned into a completely different genre, why would they suddenly change their mind now and do a remake of one. Otherwise we'd have a Mario RPG on Switch already, but we don't.

It really is wishful thinking, sorry. I didn't believe the Paper Mario 64 3DS rumor either. Nintendo wants to move on from these games, it seems. They do not want to acknowledge them. At all.

Especially now that Mario and Luigi has been dead in the water, Mario RPGs are a thing of the past unless proved otherwise. It takes Smash for SMRPG to actually get acknowledgement. Nintendo - of Japan, not America - wouldn't do it in a million years.

Heck, they won't even acknowledge characters that have been in their own main series. You know how long it took for Pauline to get a role that's not DK-related. What about Toadsworth, Wart or Koopa Kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
On the topic of ideas for a SMRPG remake,
  • Add Luigi, and Toad (FINALLY found his bazooka) to the party. Luigi's special attacks could be variations of Mario's, and Toad's weapons would be indeed bazookas.
  • One Super Boss that could be post game could delve deeper into the lore as to from where did the Smithy gang come from. The fight could be at Vista Hill, looking towards Bowser's Keep as a portal opens up above it. The boss could be another enemy akin to Smithy, and could explain where is it they come from and their purpose. After defeating it, they would retreat to their world not before warning Mario and Co. that they will return to the Mushroom Kingdom someday (cue sequel).
  • Side quests. Lots of side quests.
  • Expand dong the areas throughout the game, making it possible to add more chests, enemies, etc.)
  • Super bosses could be split into different categories (of course, not saying there would be a ton of them): SMRPG originals that could tie to the game's plot; Super Mario universe bosses for the sake of easter eggs; Final Fantasy bosses. Actually, some super bosses could be bosses taken from Paper Mario, and the Mario & Luigi games that somehow ended up (or were summoned) to the SMRPG world. As for FF bosses, some that come to mind are Gilgamesh, Atma Weapon, and heck let's throw in Cloud (the Internet would shutdown if they pulled that mad-lad move). Think how reality-shattering it would be to have a super boss battle against Cloud in a SMRPG remake; characters from two games that almost shared an anniversary in the midst of a console generation transition which at the time resulted in a fallout between Nintendo and Square, fortunately their relationship being restored years later. As for where could the Cloud super boss battle be, it could be located in Smithy's Factory (around the beginning since that part of the factory looks otherworldly).

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Two weeks late, but you fool! I'm not so much optimistic as I am a devout follower of the Cacomallow religion. During these trying, arduous times, the one thing that keeps us going is Cacomallow. Take it down, and speculation becomes a toxic wasteland. As the leader of the Cacomallow movement, I must eliminate you before you eliminate me. :ultpacman:

View attachment 293039

Credit to @OffBi for the original
Mallow Gun image.
View attachment 293040
Guys just do what he says! He’s armed!

NukeLaBelle

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nukenai
Lemme just chime in about one thing. One attitude I've consistently not understood is the idea that Nintendo has "ignored" SMRPG and pretends it doesn't exist. The newer Paper Marios not being "real" RPGs is a separate issue but like... SMRPG was released on Wii Virtual Console. Wii U Virtual Console. It's on the SNES Classic. It's been re-released three times, pretty darn recently. It's not on NSO which sucks but I just can't get behind this idea that Nintendo is trying to hide this game... that has had multiple re-releases in recent times! Idk! Plus the Geno costume in Smash 4 shows that obviously, they have been acknowledging it pretty consistently. I want Geno in Smash Ultimate probably more than any regular human should, but I will never pretend that SMRPG is some weird forgotten relic.

I mean, as a For the Frog the Bell Tolls fan, I definitely am someone qualified to talk about games being forgotten about. Sable being an assist trophy in Smash 4 and actually coming back for Ultimate blew my brain right out of my face, but still, most people don't know anything about that game besides, "Wasn't that blue haired guy in Zelda?"

And on another note, probably my least favorite type of Geno detractor are the absolute weirdos who pretend SMRPG, a game that sold a million and a half copies in Japan near the end of a Nintendo console's life, is some extremely obscure unheard of game that nobody knows about. Like, I don't care how much these kids dislike Geno, good for them wasting their time, but insinuating that like, literally any Mario game is "super obscure" is bizarre. Especially one that sold a billion copies and has been re-released a bunch of times. Not my fault these kids are like 15 and weren't alive when the SNES came out lol.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nah, you're not. Nintendo showed they don't have a damn about Mario RPGs with Origami King still not being a "return to form" for the third time in a row, despite the backlash. They don't care about their flagship RPG turned into a completely different genre, why would they suddenly change their mind now and do a remake of one. Otherwise we'd have a Mario RPG on Switch already, but we don't.

It really is wishful thinking, sorry. I didn't believe the Paper Mario 64 3DS rumor either. Nintendo wants to move on from these games, it seems. They do not want to acknowledge them. At all.

Especially now that Mario and Luigi has been dead in the water, Mario RPGs are a thing of the past unless proved otherwise. It takes Smash for SMRPG to actually get acknowledgement. Nintendo - of Japan, not America - wouldn't do it in a million years.

Heck, they won't even acknowledge characters that have been in their own main series. You know how long it took for Pauline to get a role that's not DK-related. What about Toadsworth, Wart or Koopa Kid.

To be fair, the Japanese Mario Anniversary Twitter account had tweets for the past Paper Mario games and one that showed SMRPG, and SMRPG was put on the SNES Classic.

Paper Mario tweet:

Tweet that shows SMRPG alongside some other SNES Mario games, including World:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Whether or not the idea of a Super Mario RPG remake/remaster/port is even in the cards (which is an entirely separate discussion) I guess I'd say I'm in the weird camp of not actually wanting it that much? Like, I don't see what could actually be improved with a simple remake without radically changing certain things. In terms of my actual issues with the game...
  • The pacing... is actually phenomenal. For the most part you spend the perfect amount of time in each area, but in terms of individual Star Pieces, that's where I have issues. Maybe it's just the fact I played Paper Mario first so the whole chapter system is what I expect, but both 3 and 5 are pretty underwhelming. 3 is a quick 10-20 minute detour through the Pipe Maze/Yo'ster Isle, and then you go to Moleville, go through the mines and then you just get the third Star Piece without a lot of buildup, shortly after you got the exposition dump from Geno about them. That's less of an issue with the area itself though and more just when they decide to give you it. 5 though, you spend almost all your time in the Ocean and the Ship, I just don't find it interesting. Sure, I guess I like the Password Puzzle and the 1v1 with Jonathan is cool, but everything else, especially the climax with Yardovich, just bores me. It's just weird how 4 and especially 6 have you bouncing around a bunch of different locations and setpieces but then 5 is just...BOAT.
  • Equipment is super basic, which I don't really find as an issue since the accessories are still interesting enough and the game is short enough where it doesn't really grate on me, but adding some variety would still be nice. It's the kind of thing I think they would do in a sequel though.
  • Party Members : Bowser Bad, Mallow Ok, Peach Busted. Feel like we all kinda know this. That being said I don't really think Bowser is as bad as people say he is, it's more that everyone else is just better than him. All you really need to do is make his status effects actually work/useful, make Peach slightly less insane, maybe give Mallow an additional support ability. But again, I feel like that would require rebalancing alot of stuff, which would be better saved for an actual sequel.
Seeing my issue here? I feel like if they went all in on changing things people would just get angry at it, there's no real small minor issue they could fix that would greatly improve the game for me. It looks great (sue me), it plays great, it sounds great, I get why people want a remake, but does it really need one?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I gotta ask, am I the only one who doesn't believe the SMRPG remake\sequel rumors? Like, as much as I would love a sequel or remake of this game, I personally feel its more on the wishful thinking side personally.

Also, I came across this interview yesterday and I think this could definitely hurt the chances of us getting a new SMRPG remake\sequel. This interview was from 2013, however, so things most likely have changed from seven years ago. (FYI, I don't think this interview affects Geno's chances for Smash, just the SMRPG remake\sequel rumors).

Super Mario RPG Interview
I think it could happen... but I'm going to treat it as fake until we actually get some more info around the subject. Though like you I don't think that it really affects Geno's chances for Smash.

Some people act like Square and Nintendo's relationship only started to improve since like 5-6 years ago, when that's completely wrong. Square and Nintendo were mostly back to normal during the early DS era/late GBA era(around 2005). Otherwise why would they have bothered to release things like DQ 9, TWEWY, Fortune Street, the Rocket Slime games, Some FF Remakes/Spin-offs, Some DQ Remakes, Chrono Trigger+, some KH spin-offs, most of which were pretty much exclusive to the DS for a decent amount of time. Even before that we had KH Chain of Memories, and the FF GBA Advance ports as well. By the time the 3DS rolled around, we already started to see many Square games early on in it's life. KH 3D was one of the first BIG AAA 3rd party game confirmed for the system, there were the theatrhythm FF games, and the two Bravely games, alongside the ports/remakes of the non-Nintendo DQ games. Acting like it took until around Cloud got in Smash to say that Square/Nintendo's relationship started improving is missing the mark by a decade or so. Sure we didn't get the AAA home console releases, but that's more likely due to the shortcomings of both the Wii and Wii U rather than on Square itself.

They could've made a SMRPG remake anytime since the DS or so, but they chose not to. Instead both Square and Nintendo are pretty much fine porting it to whatever system as long as the deal is favorable to them in some way. This obviously doesn't mean that an SMRPG Remake can't come now, just that it doesn't really benefit it's chances. Square currently has a ton of project in development, and are a completely different company from the way they were in the mid 1990's.

Currently, it doesn't really benefit them to work with a Nintendo IP when most of their own IP's are pretty well off; not to mention that they have a ton of stuff already in the works/presumably in the works which makes it less likely that they're going to concern themselves with 3rd party collaborations on their end. I mean we just got NEO TWEWY announced, but on top of that there is FF XVI, FF XIV Expansion, FF 7 Remake part 2, DQ 12, KH 4, Nier Remake, Nier/Drakenguard Sequel, Octopath Traveler 2, Bravely Default 2, Romancing Saga, Mana series, and more (alongside all the spin-offs that Square tends to release). Unless a potential contract is really stacked in their own favor (as opposed to Nintendo's), I think Square is just going to pursue improving their own IP's. Heck, even in terms of revivals; I see SMRPG mentioned a lot less than a potential Chrono Trigger Remake or a Xenogears remake.

On Nintendo's end, while I think they'd be willing to put Geno in Smash; let's not forget they're also insanely controlling with their own IP, especially in regards to Mario. I mean the latest collaboration we've had with the IP is freaking Rabbids dressed up in Mario costumes, not a original character like Geno for example. On top of that presumably Rayman was going to be in Super Mario Maker but was cut for whatever reason, and I doubt it was because of Ubisoft. I doubt they'd want Square to have as much control as they did with the original SMRPG release. Not to mention the aforementioned lack of demand in the first place.

I know people here want an SMRPG remake/sequel but I'll be honest, this is one of the only places where I see such a sentiment. Most people outside of here don't really ask for a SMRPG remake, but rather a proper turn based Mario RPG title; sure an SMRPG remake would kill two birds with one stone, but in all honesty if Nintendo really wanted a turn based Mario title they could just create one by themselves (or force IntSys to make the next Paper Mario turn based); I don't really see either Nintendo or Square willing to collab on a game that neither will have full rights over, unless there is a huge long term pay-off to do such a thing. They're more likely to just work on platform exclusives (like Bravely Default 2).

Obviously it could happen, but I doubt it currently.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

to be fair I’m pretty sure Nintendo didn’t give a toss about paper mario because at the time they had the mario and Luigi series which was their main RPG series. That and tanand practically came out and said he didn’t wanna copy the mario and Luigi series.

also paper mario origami king is a return to form in some ways. It’s just missing the variety of characters and the RPG system but other than that it’s a step in the right direction which is why people who leaked paper mario said “it’s going back to its roots”

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The difference between now and the DS days when it comes to Nintendo and Square Enix is that there's a lot more exclusives and mainline games. For the first time in a long time, Nintendo is getting the best versions of Square Enix games and getting them first. Until the Switch, Nintendo platforms were kind of dumping ground for ports, spin-offs, and experimental games for Square. The tone is different now. They're actually developing big budget games for Nintendo again, something they really haven't done since the SNES.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Waluigi´s chances was ruined by the internet harrasing Sakurai.
Ah, no. The only time I can recall when Waluigi fans harassed Sakurai was when those kids were posting 9/11 memes on his Twitter and we shouldn't blame the whole Waluigi fanbase for that just because of some stupid post a couple of kids made.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Pretty sure when I was kid I made up additional Axem Rangers. I remember as a kid being bummed that there wasn't a Blue Axem Ranger because the Blue Power Ranger (Billy) was by far my favorite. I would love for them to something corny like there secretly being an "elite team" or something as a super boss.
Did you ever see the fan-made Axem Ranger Blue that was featured in a few sprite animations? It was more of a purple-blue color than the casual blue, but I thought Axem Ranger Blue's design was pretty badass; it looked pretty menacing and had spikes on its head. Not sure if Blue was originally planned for the Subcon arc of Super Mario Bros. Z, but it's a possibility since Blue made a small cameo in the unofficial Subcon arc ending video from YouTube. I want to show you what I'm talking about, but can't find any good pictures of Axem Blue; instead, I'll just hand you the original sprites, so here's the sprite sheet of the most common design of the Axem Blue I'm talking about. EDIT: I just found out that Alvin-Earthworm (creator of SMBZ) is the one who came up with Axem Blue's initial design, so it seems like Blue is possibly planned for SMBZ's future.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The difference between now and the DS days when it comes to Nintendo and Square Enix is that there's a lot more exclusives and mainline games. For the first time in a long time, Nintendo is getting the best versions of Square Enix games and getting them first. Until the Switch, Nintendo platforms were kind of dumping ground for ports, spin-offs, and experimental games for Square. The tone is different now. They're actually developing big budget games for Nintendo again, something they really haven't done since the SNES.
Not to mention how successful these Nintendo Switch titles have been from Octopath Traveler to the Trials of Mana remake, they've been doing quite well, and knowing how well the first Fighter Pass did, I can't imagine Square refusing a second DLC pick to make some extra cash

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Ah, no. The only time I can recall when Waluigi fans harassed Sakurai was when those kids were posting 9/11 memes on his Twitter and we shouldn't blame the whole Waluigi fanbase for that just because of some stupid post a couple of kids made.
Yeah if all it took was two kids being ****heads on Twitter then we wouldn't have gotten any fighters beyond the base game.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
PREACH!!!
I'm so sick and tired of the entire community having this huge vendetta against us just because of two fans who harassed Sakurai. The entire community treats us Waluigi supporters like mass shooters or something, and I'm not even trying to exaggerate here.
Like, its an awful thing that happened and all and shame on the two kids that did harass Sakurai, but people seriously needs to stop acting like all Waluigi supporters are bad, because that is far from the case.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Mario RPG's have done well sales wise, no reason to not make them.
Paper Mario moved in the direction it did because they wanted to try something new with the series. Mario and Luigi games died because nobody wanted a remake of a DS game they could already play on the system that was getting the remake, so sales didn't do well, and due to that, they shut down Alpha Dream.
They were impressed by the sales of SMRPG, Paper Mario on the 64, Gamecube, and Wii all sold really well, Super being the best selling one, Mario and Luigi didn't do too bad either, it's worth keeping Mario RPG's around and Nintendo knows how much people want them to return, so I think we're going to see some Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars love very soon.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Not really though?

I mean we've gotten (this is from a list I found online so may be missing a few):
  • Balan Wonderworld: Not exclusive
  • Bravely Default 2: Exclusive but 3DS already got 1 and second.
  • Collection of Mana: Collection of ports/translated 3.
-Dragon Quest Heroes I+II: Port
  • DQ X: Port
  • DQ Builders I and II: Port
  • DQ 11S: Enhanced Edition, not really new and not exclusive anymore.
  • FFX/X-2: Port
  • FFXII: Port
  • FF Crystal Chronicles: Remastered port
  • Chocobo Mystery Dungeon: Not Exclusive, Spinoff
  • World of FF: Enhanced Edition of a Vita game, Spinoff
  • I am Setsuna: Port
  • Lost Sphear: Not exclusive
  • Octopath: Exclusive originally, but pretty dang experimental. Which you stated as a con.
  • Oninaki: Not Exclusive
  • Saga Scarlet Grace: Port
  • KH MoM: Not Exclusive, Spinoff
  • Spelunker Party: port
  • Last Remnant: Remastered port
  • Trials of Mana: Not Exclusive
  • TWEWY Final Remix: Enhanced port of an enhanced port lol.
  • NEO TWEWY: Not Exclusive

And a bunch of eshop titles, which are mostly old games.

I dunno where you are getting this "difference" between now and the DS days from. I mean I guess, if you only look at freaking DQ11S being exclusive to the Switch for a year (after the year DQ11 already came out on every other console) then sure I guess there is a big difference /s. Games like Octopath Traveler, TWEWY/Neo TWEWY, and Bravely Default 2 aren't super big AAA budget games either (same with Trials of Mana). They all probably have small teams compared to the actual big SE series. We are getting a lot of their back catalogue on the Switch though, with all the FF ports; but that just goes to show that the reason we mostly didn't get them before was likely due to hardware rather than SE having a bad relationship with Nintendo.

I'm pretty sure overall the DS had more exclusives, sure most of them were spin-offs/experimental but there were a ton of good things in there. A good chunk of the DQ remakes, DQ 9, TWEWY, the KH and FF spin-offs were all exclusive for a good chunk of time (and not in the DQ11S way).

But yeah, looking at the actual games listed it's pretty clear that nothing really changed since the DS days. They had a good relationship back then, and they still do now. Nothing has really changed aside from the Switch being able to run some remastered ports, which SE has then released on the Switch (looking at you FFX/X-2). Heck, I'm pretty sure that the 3DS actually has more exclusives compared to the Switch.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I think it could happen... but I'm going to treat it as fake until we actually get some more info around the subject. Though like you I don't think that it really affects Geno's chances for Smash.

Some people act like Square and Nintendo's relationship only started to improve since like 5-6 years ago, when that's completely wrong. Square and Nintendo were mostly back to normal during the early DS era/late GBA era(around 2005). Otherwise why would they have bothered to release things like DQ 9, TWEWY, Fortune Street, the Rocket Slime games, Some FF Remakes/Spin-offs, Some DQ Remakes, Chrono Trigger+, some KH spin-offs, most of which were pretty much exclusive to the DS for a decent amount of time. Even before that we had KH Chain of Memories, and the FF GBA Advance ports as well. By the time the 3DS rolled around, we already started to see many Square games early on in it's life. KH 3D was one of the first BIG AAA 3rd party game confirmed for the system, there were the theatrhythm FF games, and the two Bravely games, alongside the ports/remakes of the non-Nintendo DQ games. Acting like it took until around Cloud got in Smash to say that Square/Nintendo's relationship started improving is missing the mark by a decade or so. Sure we didn't get the AAA home console releases, but that's more likely due to the shortcomings of both the Wii and Wii U rather than on Square itself.

They could've made a SMRPG remake anytime since the DS or so, but they chose not to. Instead both Square and Nintendo are pretty much fine porting it to whatever system as long as the deal is favorable to them in some way. This obviously doesn't mean that an SMRPG Remake can't come now, just that it doesn't really benefit it's chances. Square currently has a ton of project in development, and are a completely different company from the way they were in the mid 1990's.

Currently, it doesn't really benefit them to work with a Nintendo IP when most of their own IP's are pretty well off; not to mention that they have a ton of stuff already in the works/presumably in the works which makes it less likely that they're going to concern themselves with 3rd party collaborations on their end. I mean we just got NEO TWEWY announced, but on top of that there is FF XVI, FF XIV Expansion, FF 7 Remake part 2, DQ 12, KH 4, Nier Remake, Nier/Drakenguard Sequel, Octopath Traveler 2, Bravely Default 2, Romancing Saga, Mana series, and more (alongside all the spin-offs that Square tends to release). Unless a potential contract is really stacked in their own favor (as opposed to Nintendo's), I think Square is just going to pursue improving their own IP's. Heck, even in terms of revivals; I see SMRPG mentioned a lot less than a potential Chrono Trigger Remake or a Xenogears remake.

On Nintendo's end, while I think they'd be willing to put Geno in Smash; let's not forget they're also insanely controlling with their own IP, especially in regards to Mario. I mean the latest collaboration we've had with the IP is freaking Rabbids dressed up in Mario costumes, not a original character like Geno for example. On top of that presumably Rayman was going to be in Super Mario Maker but was cut for whatever reason, and I doubt it was because of Ubisoft. I doubt they'd want Square to have as much control as they did with the original SMRPG release. Not to mention the aforementioned lack of demand in the first place.

I know people here want an SMRPG remake/sequel but I'll be honest, this is one of the only places where I see such a sentiment. Most people outside of here don't really ask for a SMRPG remake, but rather a proper turn based Mario RPG title; sure an SMRPG remake would kill two birds with one stone, but in all honesty if Nintendo really wanted a turn based Mario title they could just create one by themselves (or force IntSys to make the next Paper Mario turn based); I don't really see either Nintendo or Square willing to collab on a game that neither will have full rights over, unless there is a huge long term pay-off to do such a thing. They're more likely to just work on platform exclusives (like Bravely Default 2).

Obviously it could happen, but I doubt it currently.
Agreed on the Square relationship thing. Honestly it just seems like Nintendo is getting more Exclusives because the switch has replaced their handheld market. There were plenty of exclusive square games for most of Nintendo’s handhelds starting with the GBA. If Nintendo had not consolidated their handheld and console market to one machine, Square would still be making the bulk of its low budget exclusives on whatever gameboy or 3ds was out.

At the end of the day, The switch is still Square’s go to for low budget projects. I don’t think this is out of spite/or poor relations, but because the hardware. The switch will continue missing squares bigger titles unless they can compete at similar performance level. Even titles like twewy have lost their exclusivity and either been ported to phones or in the sequels case, the ps4.
Games like Octopath Traveler/Bravely Default are exclusives, sure, but they are also low budget titles. They will probably be pushed towards the mobile/pc market if they haven’t already.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Nowdays there’s no justification for one title to be exclusive on a specific plattform unless Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft pays the development (like Bayonetta 2 or 3). The three consoles has the same buttons and developes aren’t attached to a specific gimmick like touch controls on NDS or motion sensor like Wii Remote, so its more easy to integrate multi-platafform development.

Regarding Square-Enix, being honest, from their eastern side, there is only two big “AAA IP” and thats Final Fantasy (the mainline games) and Kingdom Hearts. Maybe Dragon Quest also. Their Switch support has been very but not flawless, as there is no Nier Automata or Replicant (we can debate about Automata, although PG said that they want to ported it, but Replicant is a PS3 game...) and the Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 collections (they are essentially PS2 and PSP games...). The rest is good and hoped they will put more legacy content on the platafform (like a Chrono Trigger port, just take the mobile version and port it to modern consoles).

Its also true that the Western support was awful, we can discuss the viability of porting something like Just Cause or Deus Ex, but I find it understandable that Switch is getting near its 4th anniversary, breaking sales record all around the globe, and there are no Tomb Raider (at least the 2013 game) or Life ls Strange ports...

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Plus every cool role is being replaced by Toad

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok lads, if no announcement ends up panning out by tomorrow, either we're heading for news on the first week of December (i.e. next week), or TGA. When you think about it, Geoff is a huge fan of video games as a whole, much like Sakurai (of course Sakurai could be considered to be the scholar/architect, and Geoff the promoter). I've got a feeling that despite what media outlets, or "insiders" might have hinted or said to not expect anything Nintendo during this year's TGA, there may actually be some surprises in store.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ok lads, if no announcement ends up panning out by tomorrow, either we're heading for news on the first week of December (i.e. next week), or TGA. When you think about it, Geoff is a huge fan of video games as a whole, much like Sakurai (of course Sakurai could be considered to be the scholar/architect, and Geoff the promoter). I've got a feeling that despite what media outlets, or "insiders" might have hinted or said to not expect anything Nintendo during this year's TGA, there may actually be some surprises in store.
I think the Game Awards scenario is being downplayed by people thinking a Mario character wouldn't be revealed there.

Even though it's the biggest series Nintendo has, yet somehow that's seen as above being shown off at the awards. Compared to Atlus' Persona, which was more niche until 2018 happened.

And I don't think a reveal would happen after Game Awards week, it'll have to be in the first couple weeks of December, or wait until at least January, period. Ninty's news were moved by a few months, so those two periods would logically be the best time to unveil anything at the moment.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Square and Nintendo's relationship is always hard to completely assess as there's always weird decisions regarding certain series or games that makes you scratch your head. Various older KH games could easily end up on Switch but haven't and the lack of the 8/16 bit FF titles on the system (even the lousy mobile versions) is a bit baffling considering the PSX and PS2 ones are. It almost feels like SE understands the clear financial potential of Switch in so many areas and in others doesn't.

As far as a Mario RPG Remake/Sequel, I do suspect the reticence might lie more with Nintendo than Square. A lot of Mario titles outside the mainline games feel like they've fallen into consistent homogenization and SMRPG just feels out of step with the more generic brand direction they've taken the series in the past decade. Origami King was a bit of contrast but compared to a Thousand Year Door or Bowser's Inside Story, it feels fairly safe in its ambitions. Like Paper Mario with Bug Fables I'm more looking at spiritual successors like Another Crusade to get my fix:

It'll never be the kind of sequel I exactly want, but I'd prefer to try an experience that builds on a game style I like than hoping Nintendo somehow changes course from where they've taken Mario role playing games.

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Square and Nintendo's relationship is always hard to completely assess as there's always weird decisions regarding certain series or games that makes you scratch your head. Various older KH games could easily end up on Switch but haven't and the lack of the 8/16 bit FF titles on the system (even the lousy mobile versions) is a bit baffling considering the PSX and PS2 ones are. It almost feels like SE understands the clear financial potential of Switch in so many areas and in others doesn't.

As far as a Mario RPG Remake/Sequel, I do suspect the reticence might lie more with Nintendo than Square. A lot of Mario titles outside the mainline games feel like they've fallen into consistent homogenization and SMRPG just feels out of step with the more generic brand direction they've taken the series in the past decade. Origami King was a bit of contrast but compared to a Thousand Year Door or Bowser's Inside Story, it feels fairly safe in its ambitions. Like Paper Mario with Bug Fables I'm more looking at spiritual successors like Another Crusade to get my fix:

It'll never be the kind of sequel I exactly want, but I'd prefer to try an experience that builds on a game style I like than hoping Nintendo somehow changes course from where they've taken Mario role playing games.
I've been out on the whole "SMRPG sequel/remake conversation because I'm skeptical it'll happen, but this video just gave me an irrational sense of excitement. SMRPG with an update like that would make my nostalgic soul so happy.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

This is honestly how I feel about the whole thing and why the idea of this SMRPG Remake/Sequel has been hard for me to swallow, it's completely against their interests as they've demonstrated to us.

Plus with all of the stuff coming out during the SaveMelee/SaveSmash campaign it seems that Nintendo aggressively makes strides to control their image, and that image being to only focus on the latest and greatest while paying lip service to the past. Why would they alter course so hard on Paper Mario and TRIPLE-down on its new direction only to walk that back by bringing back Mario RPG. The whole reason for Paper Mario's deviance from it's original direction was because they saw it as redundant when the Mario & Luigi series was already an RPG series and even THAT got sterilized before it's downfall.

I've not given up on Geno getting into Smash by any stretch of the means, but nothing short of actually seeing it for myself is going to convince me Nintendo is making an RPG remake/sequel... not with how they've been acting

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think that the decision for a SMRPG remaster may be entirely on Square's court. At least more than half of the game's original material is owned by them, and Miyamoto and Tanabe wouldn't be able to object if they want their company to maintain their healthy relationship with Square. I wouldn't be surprised if Koizumi acted as executive producer for such a project, since he tends to be more open to Mario going into more interesting directions (rather than simply change up the gameplay itself for the sake of it like Tanabe does with Paper Mario lately)

Overall, I don't blame nearly all of you for taking a "boy crying wolf" stance on things. But just don't be surprised the moment any of this decides to become true. Especially in a time where the only way to compensate for a relative lack of original Mario titles on Switch is to break out the ports and remasters.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well even disregarding a Remaster, Remake, Sequel

even if they just want to re-release the game on Switch, Is it more likely they release it Separately instead of on the Switch Online? (Kind of like how the Fire Emblem game is being re-released with English Translation separately)

It's possible they won't release it on Switch Online because Square might want a cut of every NSO Subscription due to SMRPG being on the SNES Online. this might also be why there's no other Square games currently on the online

Nintendo might have been more willing to allow it separately on the Wii Virtual Console (the game is separate), and then on the SNES Classic, but then the NSO Online is too much

So they might release it Separately, and waiting for right time to do so

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I could see a Mario RPG re-release with some minimal bells and whistles to sell on the eshop. Nothing close to a remake or even a remaster, but possibly enough to make charging an SNES title when so many others are free a bit less scummy looking.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
The whole reason for Paper Mario's deviance from it's original direction was because they saw it as redundant when the Mario & Luigi series was already an RPG series and even THAT got sterilized before it's downfall.
If you're referring to Paper Jam, the only reason why they didn't include any original characters in that game was because they wanted to emphasize the paper characters crossing over with their normal counterparts.

Funnily enough I think this is also one of the reasons Paper Jam sold quite a bit less than the other games.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A sequel is a lot more desirable than a remake of SMRPG, and I think that’s what we’re getting.
Agreed. It's the same thing with Banjo-Kazooie for me. I don't want to see a remake of Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie, I want to see a new Banjo-Kazooie game specifically Banjo-Threeie. I want a true sequel to the N64 masterpieces and not no remake or another Nuts & Bolts.

Reactions: QQS

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay I something to add

So Personally I don't think Geno will be revealed in time for this Mario Tournament

However because Geno Represents the Relationship between Nintendo and Square, I think if Geno were to be Playable, His tournament will revolve around Mario Characters (and Maybe Sub-Series Too), and Also Square characters as well, so Cloud and Hero would also be in there (Along with Geno).

Either that, or his DLC Tournament will revolve around Projectile based characters

And Actually I'm more leaning in Geno Being Playable as of now. I Lean between him being Premium costume or Playable character, and Right now I'm leaning towards Playable

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The whole reason for Paper Mario's deviance from it's original direction was because they saw it as redundant when the Mario & Luigi series was already an RPG series and even THAT got sterilized before it's downfall.

the mario and Luigi RPG series was never sterilised. Paper jam looks restricted fair enough but it’s only limited because they had problems during development.
Originally the plot was meant to be mario, paper mario and Luigi travelling between the paper world and the mario and Luigi world

Antasma was meant to return as well as other previous characters and nabbit was meant to take more of a villain role up from what I remember reading about paper jam through interviews.

Paper jam fell behind development and they didn’t go with their original plot idea because they thought it would be too much backtracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom