• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
So I'm considering getting a PSP so I can play Dissidia

However, I'm very concerned that you have to have a PS3 in order to play Dissidia Online (via Adhoc or something?) and that you can't play US vs EU (and vice versa)

How do you play Dissidia online without a PS3 and can you play people in the US if you're from UK/EU?
You don't need a PS3 to play PSP games online. All you have to connect your PSP to the internet and you're good to go. Adhoc is for local multiplayer, and I'm not sure if Dissidia 012 has online.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
omg. Fin. Finally I found someone who agrees with me about XIII. I've been explaining how X and XIII are similar in linearity and that's what most people complain about. It's like everybody forgot what Final Fantasy X is like.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, when I first heard that people thought FFXIII was linear I remembered FFX where you're basically on a set path for about 90% of the game. Then when I saw the Crystarium in action I immediately thought of the Sphere Grid. In fact I mistakenly call it the Sphere Grid all the time because that's basically what it is.

finalark

SNORLAX
omg. Fin. Finally I found someone who agrees with me about XIII. I've been explaining how X and XIII are similar in linearity and that's what most people complain about. It's like everybody forgot what Final Fantasy X is like.
Exactly. It's like they forgot that X didn't even have an over world or anything. I just don't get why its okay to have an incredibly linear game back on '01 but you try it in '09 and everyone hates you for it.

I think the only thing I really don't like about XIII so far is that sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly whats going on in battles. Or I might not be used to the battle system yet, we'll see once I finish it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, X and XIII were both really linear. It was one of the things I disliked about X.
However, X had better pacing by having towns, resting spots, (some) branching areas than XIII, and being able to backtrack later on.

If XIII had the same amount of those things that X had, XIII would've been pretty decent.
Since it didn't have those things, I was too focused on moving forward and rushing though the game instead of enjoying things slowly. Luckily exploring Pulse for the first time was awesome.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Exactly. It's like they forgot that X didn't even have an over world or anything. I just don't get why its okay to have an incredibly linear game back on '01 but you try it in '09 and everyone hates you for it.

I think the only thing I really don't like about XIII so far is that sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly whats going on in battles. Or I might not be used to the battle system yet, we'll see once I finish it.
You'll get used too it. XIII has the best battle system, imo. I love Paradigm shift, I just hate controlling one character.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
You'll get used too it. XIII has the best battle system, imo. I love Paradigm shift, I just hate controlling one character.
<3 FFXIII's battle system. I have a really short attention span, so controlling one character is perfect for me.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
2 non-optional bosses I remember having somewhat of a hard time as a kid were Jenova at the end of disc 1 and Proud Clod.
Not so hard with the accessory to absorb water attacks and also having W-Item before Proud Clod.

2nd playthrough and on, VII was one of the easiest FF games for me.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The first time I played through this game was when I was 10 and I have to agree that Proud Clod was pretty hard the first time through, so was Materia Keeper. I never had a problem with any of the Jenova forms though.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
FFXIII battle system was my favorite as well. Playing 3 characters with that system would have been crazy cool also. A lot going on, that's for sure.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The first time I played through this game was when I was 10 and I have to agree that Proud Clod was pretty hard the first time through, so was Materia Keeper. I never had a problem with any of the Jenova forms though.
I forgot about Materia Keeper. I do remember having problems on that boss.
He's pretty hard still if my levels are too low and I'm too careless on healing.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Damn! Didn't realize. Gonna go buy it later today. So excited for Gilgamesh.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Unless you're on lvl 30 and fighting Emerald/Ruby weapon lol. I'd say dying MAY be a possibility.

Honestly though, I kinda go nuts when I play RPGs anyway and level up wayyy beyond where I should be at. I'm not sure why I enjoy the monotonousness of battling the same enemy over and over for extended periods of time hahaha.

I'm sad I gotta wait to buy my Dissidia copy... my bf has my PSP *shakes fist* >_>

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Emerald and Ruby were pretty easy after knowing what broken strategies you can use. XD
I've never used that strategy that Sephiroths Masamune mentioned though. How effective is it?
Someone must not play any Megaten games. :3
Yup, lol. One of the few RPGs where mashing the confirm button is really bad on regular battles.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII right now, actually. It feels really good after years of not touching the original. And it's really nice to play on the PSP to pass the time.

Just in the Train Graveyard now with Tifa & Aerith after getting picked by Don Corneo. omg I laughed so hard. So good to revisit stuff. Gah. Knowing more about the storyline for Dissidia 012... I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. All I know is that the English release name for the new Chaos is Feral Chaos.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Oh pft, yous guys. I was just making a generalization (mostly), not with all them fancy glitches XD jk.

Also...

"I'll smash them."

Don Corneo da bess.

finalark

SNORLAX
I remember my first time through 7, about half way through disk 2 if I recall, everything is set up for an epic final boss fight, you head to the Impact Crater to take down Sephiroth. But given that it was only disk 2/3 I was expecting the game to pull an FFIX (Basically,
How Kuja appears to be working under Garland and the game leads you on for a bit making it look like Garland is the big bad but then Kuja kills him and becomes the big bad again
). But nope,
Sephiroth mind ***** Cloud, Cloud hands over the Black Materia and then even more bad **** goes down.

Its been a while, but that moment pretty much subverted what I thought was a predictable set up.

So that's my cool story for the day.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Oh pft, yous guys. I was just making a generalization (mostly), not with all them fancy glitches XD jk.

Also...

"I'll smash them."

Don Corneo da bess.
I take full pride in Cloud being my favorite video game character. He's the only one man enough to dress in drag in order to save his loved ones.

And to also get picked over Tifa and Aerith. One of two things here. Don Corneo has terrible tastes in women and terrible eyesight, or Cloud actually is the hottest 'woman' in the VII series.

:troll: Problem, boobs? :troll:

Or the Don's got a thing for the tsundere type.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, Cloud for best crossdresser in Final Fantasy?

I also find it weird how you keep the perfume, the wig, and the dress as Key Items even after the event...

finalark

SNORLAX
I take full pride in Cloud being my favorite video game character. He's the only one man enough to dress in drag in order to save his loved ones.
You know, if FFVII ever gets remade it's going to be interesting to see that scene again in HD.

And to also get picked over Tifa and Aerith. One of two things here. Don Corneo has terrible tastes in women and terrible eyesight, or Cloud actually is the hottest 'woman' in the VII series.

:troll: Problem, boobs? :troll:
Who needs boobs when you have spiky hair and a massive, heavy sword? :troll:

Haha, Cloud for best crossdresser in Final Fantasy?
No, that would be Seymour.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think my biggest reasons for wanting a full-fledged VII remake is for one of two reasons.

Hearing how Steve Burton handles playing out Aerith's death (he's a great actor and he's shown that voice acting Cloud is pretty great too) and seeing just how gorgeous crossdressing Cloud really does look like. LOL As well as re-translating or retconning a couple of things to keep consistencies high. If they keep "this guy are sick" though, I will laugh in a good way. Hilarious error throwback.

finalark

SNORLAX
HOLY **** POSTS APPEAR WITHOUT ME HAVING TO REFRESH THE PAGE.

Anyway, back on topic. I personally think that it's time that the entire PS1 cycle got remakes. Graphically, the games are all seriously starting to show their age. Plus revised translations, voice acting and new content couldn't hurt.

Hopefully the PSP2 or 3DS will have enough awesome for the possible remakes.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haven't played the one with Seymour in it, too bad :(. Cloud's got competition haha.

I agree with finalark's post 100%. Seriously FFVII on PS3 would make me cry, lol. Also Chrono Cross, or a freaking Chrono sequel please :mad:.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Yeah I was typing and was like, "... WTF?!?!?"

I'm gonna go by my theory of Square-Enix releasing genuine remakes as they have been. First Final Fantasy I and II on the PSP, Final Fantasy III & IV on the DS, and now we're just waiting on the rest. They'll probably go in chronological order, so V and/or VI are next for the likes of the PSP/PSP2/3DS. And then once we hit VII and onward, next-gen consoles or whatever happens to be out at the time. Long time in the making, but it's possible. Wouldn't doubt it if I was right if they were going in order.

--

I'm still content with the normal games. VIII and IX, I feel, don't need the remake as much as VII does on the shallow perspective of graphics though, imo. When VII was released Sony and Squaresoft were just beginning to discover the capabilities of the graphics. It's what it seemed like when we got the classic blocky lego appearances and then suddenly, VIII and the music got a massive face and sound lift.

--

Future-wise, I'm hoping that the next VII game we do get is the last one. Be all to end all with the cliffhanger Dirge of Cerberus left us with. That, and making the Buster Sword the ultimate weapon of the last title for Cloud. Like, he goes to the Church, takes it from the pedestal he left it in at the end of Advent Children Complete, and it's an end-game last weapon kinda thing that's a nice throwback. Oh, and to pay tribute to Zack and Crisis Core, once you get it, the music that plays in the church will switch to 'The Burdened'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82Hc_dMehA

It's the song that played while you were there in Crisis Core.

--

Forgive me. XD I just like to think about this kinda stuff a lot and what could play to the emotions of the player and story. Might as well be fanfic but god would that be perfect.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I think my biggest fear from a remake was that they'd somehow get rid of that scene with Cloud being a pretty princess. BIGGEST.FEAR. lol but... I mean they couldn't, could they? >_>

Actually that and all the translation errors being replaced with CORRECT grammar =[

Top Bottom