• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX

BEHOLD. THE FINAL FANTASY GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD. Here, feel free to talk about any games from the main series or spin-offs. Occasionally delving into other Square games and Square as a whole.

For the uninitiated, Final Fantasy is a long-running series of Japanese Role Playing games each with its own universe and characters. In other words, don't let the big numbers and idea of RPGs having a continuous story fool you, you can jump into any game and understand it just fine. Each Final Fantasy game generally builds upon game play concepts from past titles while adding something new as well. This all adds up to create a fairly diverse franchise with so many different art styles, design philosophies and stories that most people can find at least one Final Fantasy that they like.

Notes on main series release history:

- Final Fantasy IV was originally known as Final Fantasy II in NA because Square decided to skip over their aging NES Final Fantasies to focus on the then-new SNES
- Final Fantasy VI was original known as Final Fantasy III in NA because Square decided to skip over Final Fantasy V after many failed attempts to localize it
- Final Fantasy VII was the first main-series Final Fantasy game released in Europe. It kept its numbering and all previous games except Final Fantasy III were slowly localized via the collections Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Chronicles and Final Fantasy Anthology. NA got Final Fantasy II and V this way.
- Final Fantasy III was Japan-exclusive until 2006/2007 when a DS remake of the game was released in NA and EU. There are many rumors why this game remained exclusive for so long, although officially Square claims that they simply didn't have the time to make an English version of the game. Notably, Square has had a history of having a difficult time re-releasing Final Fantasy III because it pushed the Famicom to its limits when it was initially released.
- Final Fantasy XIV has technically been released twice, the original 2010 version of the game, and A Realm Reborn, the improved relaunch of the game. The original 2010 version, which was highly negatively received by both fans and critics, had its servers taken offline and is no longer available for to play.
- Prior to being re-branded, Final Fantasy XV was originally a spin-off called Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

NOTE: Beware of unmarked spoilers.

Main series releases:

- Final Fantasy - 1987, Famicom (JP), 1990, NES (NA), 2003, PlayStation (EU)
- Final Fantasy II - 1988, Famicom (JP), 2003, PlayStation (NA/EU)
- Final Fantasy III - 1990, Famicom (JP) 2006, DS (NA) 2007, DS (EU)
- Final Fantasy IV - 1991, Super Famicom (JP/NA), 2002, PlayStaion (EU)
- Final Fantasy V - 1992, Super Famicom (JP), 1999, PlayStation (NA), 2002, PlayStaion (EU)
- Final Fantasy VI - 1994, Super Famicom (JP), 1995, SNES, (NA), 2002, PlayStation (EU)
- Final Fantasy VII - 1997, PlayStation (JP/NA/EU)
- Final Fantasy VIII - 1998, PlaySation, (JP/NA/EU)
- Final Fantasy IX - 2000, PlaySation (JP/NA), 2001, PlaySation (EU)
- Final Fantasy X - 2001, PlaySation 2 (JP/NA) 2002, PlaySation 2 (EU)
- Final Fantasy XI Online - 2002, PlaySation 2, PC (JP), 2003, PC (NA), 2004, PC (EU)
- Final Fantasy XII - 2006, PlaySation 2 (NA/JP), 2007, PlayStation 2 (EU)
- Final Fantasy XIII - 2009, PlaySation 3, Xbox 360 (JP), 2010, PlaySation 3, Xbox 360 (NA/EU)
- Final Fantasy XIV Online - 2010, PC (JP/NA/EU)

Upcoming releases:

- Final Fantasy XV - TBA, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Sub-series and notable Spin-Offs:

* Compilation of Final Fantasy VII:
- Before Crisis - 2004, Mobile Phones (JP)
- Dirge of Cerberus - 2006, PlayStation 2 (JP/NA/EU)
- Crisis Core - 2007, PlayStation Portable (JP), 2008, PlayStation Portable (NA/EU)

* Ivalice Alliance:
- Final Fantasy Tactics - 1997, PlayStation (JP), 1998, PlayStation (NA)
- Vagrant Story - 2000, PlayStation (JP/NA/EU)
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - 2003, Game Boy Advance (JP/NA/EU)
- Final Fantasy XII: Reverent Wings - 2007, Nintendo DS (JP/NA), 2008, Nintendo DS (EU)
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - 2007, Nintendo DS (JP), 2008, Nintendo DS (NA/EU)

* Fabula Nova Crystallis:
- Final Fantasy Type-0 - 2007, PlayStation Portable (JP) TBA, PlayStation 4, Xbox One (NA/EU)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 2011, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (JP), 2012, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (NA/EU)
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 2013, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (JP), 2014, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (NA/EU)

* Dissidia:
- Dissidia Final Fantasy - 2008, PlayStation Portable (JP), 2009, PlayStation Portable (NA/EU)
- Dissida 012 Final Fantasy - 2011, PlayStation Portable (JP/NA/EU)

* Crystal Chronicles:
- Crystal Chronicles - 2003, GameCube (JP), 2004, GameCube (NA/EU)
- Ring of Fates - 2007, Nintendo DS (JP), 2008, Nintendo DS (NA/EU)
- My Life as a King - 2008, Wii (JP/NA/EU)
- Echoes of Time - 2009 Wii, Nintendo DS (JP/NA/EU)
- My Life as a Dark Lord - 2009, Wii (JP/NA/EU)
- The Crystal Bearers - 2009, Wii (JP/NA), 2010, Wii (EU)

Final Fantasy in other media:

- Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals - 1994, OVA (JP/NA)
- Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - 2001, Film (JP/NA)
- FInal Fantasy Unlimited - 2001-2002, Anime (JP/NA)
- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - 2005, Film (JP/NA/EU)

Last edited:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ You know I am. I wanted to start this, but I'm too lazy to care to see how it's doing from time to time.

I personally want to be an Elvaan this time, seeing as me and my girlfriend married on FFXI and I was a Hume and she was an Elvaan, making me shorter.

My only hope is they stick to their word and make it casual so I can actually be good at it. (See: FFXI's methods of success) I also want to see a good set of Eastern jobs or roles.

FFXI pretty much made Samurai's beast, but then let Monks falter and Ninjas were complete **** as usual. Lets not ruin my favorite job again, please...

finalark

SNORLAX
I personally want to be an Elvaan this time, seeing as me and my girlfriend married on FFXI and I was a Hume and she was an Elvaan, making me shorter.
Funny, I personally don't care for what race I'll play (I'll probably end up as a hume anyway) but I just hope they don't charge us per character again.

My only hope is they stick to their word and make it casual so I can actually be good at it. (See: FFXI's methods of success)
I agree, FFXI was a pretty good MMO but going back and playing it again (which I just did last night), it's marred by so many problems. One of which being that if you want to get anything done you better be prepared to devote every last second of your free time to the game.

FFXI pretty much made Samurai's beast, but then let Monks falter and Ninjas were complete **** as usual. Lets not ruin my favorite job again, please...
I just hope they treat Red Mages (my personal favorite in FF Lore) nicely.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Can't wait for FFXIV beta

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It's very good to judge a series as a whole based off a crappy spinoff. That's why I stopped playing the Mario games after Mario is Missing for the SNES.

Actually, I take that back. The original Crystal Chronicles was pretty fun when i played through it with a few friends of mine. Single player doesn't hold up well though. The other Crystal Chronicles games have been crap.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
not really excited for XIV, though i did sign up for the beta.

IX is the best.
Agreed, except for that last bit. I do like IX though. It's just not one of my faves. My favorite would have to be VI. I also enjoyed V a lot due to the job system. VII is also up there despite it being overrated. I used to dislike X but I like a lot now after giving it a chance.

I pretty much enjoyed all the main entries in the series. XII and XIII are lower on the list though. It seemed like whatever XII didn't have, XIII had, and vice versa.

My list goes from fave to least fave: VI/VII, V, IV, X, VIII, IX, III, XII/XIII

I haven't beaten the first two though.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
These are my favorite to least favorite FF games. Italicized means I haven't beaten them yet (unless it's FFII in which case I haven't beaten it and I don't want to).

VI (Flawless)
X (Beautiful music, good enough characters, great battle system, great endgame)
I (I've played through this game dozens of times - btw, I'm referring to the Dawn of Souls version since the original Famicom/NES version had more bugs than a landfill)
IX (currently playing, like it a lot)
XIII (it's a good game idk what people are *****ing about)
IV (My first, liked it a lot and played through it about 4 or 5 times on the GBA, haven't beaten the hard as balls DS version though)
V (Good game but it dragged on and I didn't care for the grind, probably has the best music in the series aside from maybe 10 though)
III (Good game, bad save point placement)
VII (Not too motivated to play it since I know everything that happens)
VIII (Got the airship and was paralyzed with indecision about what to do next, also not terribly motivated to play it since I saw Spoony's videos on it)
XI (Just didn't play much)
XII (Characters are unlikeable walls of text with no personality who don't speak in an understandable manner except for the developmentally disabled one, lots of pointless grind and fetchquests involved, plot is a blatant Star Wars ripoff...the battle system is its saving grace and that's about the only thing it does right, but even then it just makes it an MMO)
II (Anyone who thinks FFXIII is one of the worst games in the series obviously hasn't played this abomination)

Honorable Mention: Chrono Trigger (It totally counts)

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I've played 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, X, X2 and 12.

7 is my fave with 8 or 9 tied for 2nd.

I've played 7 once or twice a year every year since it's release.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Funny, I personally don't care for what race I'll play (I'll probably end up as a hume anyway) but I just hope they don't charge us per character again.

I agree, FFXI was a pretty good MMO but going back and playing it again (which I just did last night), it's marred by so many problems. One of which being that if you want to get anything done you better be prepared to devote every last second of your free time to the game.

I just hope they treat Red Mages (my personal favorite in FF Lore) nicely.
Lol dude this probably conveys how much of my life I sunk into that game. (But it's how me and my girlfriend met, through FFXI, and for years we only spent time on here, so it's ... not as bad?)

75 Red Mage, Blue Mage, Monk, Ninja, Samurai, Beastmaster and Dragoon. (I was epic >_>)

They are raising it to 80cap simply because they know FFXIV is going to kill XI, and they want to make it soloable I guess.

Man I had Artifact 2 (Full Duelist) and the best mage gear around (minus some things here and there), and I have to say Red Mage was probably the best mage in XI.

Considering they could solo gods and all, the only downfall being their poor melee skills.

The jobs SE just laughed at and said "screw you" was pretty much:

- Any 1 handed weapon job, towards FFXI's death they have favored 2hand immensely.
- Puppetmaster/Beastmaster
- Ninja (Oh my god, Ninja)

And mages always got the crappier end of the deal, mainly Black Mages/Summoners.

It's sad I remember all this, it's been nearly a year now. Since she came down here to live with me I haven't care to play ,canceled my account, etc.

I want FFXIV to be everything FFXI was in terms of jobs (please make Samurai(ish) job not so cheap) and gameplay/story, but not so time consuming. Farming 1 million gil could take 10+ hours...that's ridiculous. It doesn't need to be super-easy, but making it time consuming doesn't make it hard either. A 5 minute minigame that is hard as crap but yeilds 100k is better than farming Spider Webs for 7 hours for 500k.

Anyways, I'm thoroughly excited for this, and I will be, and must be, Elvaan!

Also, 7 is good, despite the hate for it, I like Cloud. I'll also defend Tidus any day. X had one of the best romantic stories ever. It's video game's Titanic or something.

finalark

SNORLAX
II (Anyone who thinks FFXIII is one of the worst games in the series obviously hasn't played this abomination)[/i]
THANK YOU. God, FFII was terrible. Terrible plot (although I'm not going to hate on it too much for that, being a NES game and all), terrible stat-building system, poor game play, and unless you know EXACTLY where to go you are screwed.

I think the only part of FFII I liked was when Guy suddenly used his ability to speak beaver (which he pulled out of nowhere) to help you progress.

Anyway, my thoughts on FF from worst to best:

II
III
VIII
XI
XII
I
VII
V
IX
IV
VI
X

Also, 7 is good, despite the hate for it, I like Cloud. I'll also defend Tidus any day. X had one of the best romantic stories ever. It's video game's Titanic or something.
As far as I'm concerned, FFVII was ONLY good in terms of game play. The story was terrible, unstructured and the characters were very poorly written with most of them having only two dimensions. I personally didn't like Clould because his personality is stoic and boring throughout the entire game (actually he goes from "complete douche" to "stoic brooder" in a matter of like, ten seconds). Titus on the other hand I liked because he felt like an actual human being rather than just a one dimensional icon. Plus the fact that he tries to keep an optimistic attitude and doesn't constantly angst over his past is very, very nice to see in a JPRG.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
That actually seems like a list that most people (if they know what they're talking about) would agree on, though I think the real FF fans would most likely put IX and VI as top (usually tied-ish, maybe VI as #1) because, in FFX, all you do is press X! :D

But this is all speculation because I haven't played every FF. I've only played and finished I, VII, IX, X, X-2. A very sad list, I know. :( I've always wanted to play VI, but I haven't ever gotten around to it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You know, Optimism is a pretty rare breed in a Jrpg huh? And yeah, pressing one button a lot is very common in Jrpgs, you just don't think about it.

Has anyone here legit-obtained Excal2 on FFIX? I'm going to do a lv1 run to get max stats, but I can't do Excal2.

I tried. I can't.

finalark

SNORLAX
You know, Optimism is a pretty rare breed in a Jrpg huh?
You should check out Skies of Arcadia some time if you want to play a JRPG minus all of the angst.

Has anyone here legit-obtained Excal2 on FFIX? I'm going to do a lv1 run to get max stats, but I can't do Excal2.

I tried. I can't.
I've decided that EX2 was a joke they put into the game to taunt completionists.

EDIT: This might help, though: http://www.uffsite.net/ff9/excalibur2.php

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm a hardcore completionist, I did all my research, I used ALL THOSE TIPS. It's still evil.

You ever reset a 5minute section of a game for 4hours because you keep running into too many encounters? It's maddness.

On another note, <3Echoes of Time.

SoA is awesome by the way.

SyOn

Smash Journeyman

I tried. I can't.
i have :cool:

it's not that hard, just a lot of memorization and luck! i'm gonna do the excal2 perfect game when i get a ntsc copy.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Excalibur 2 is doable, but it's annoying for those that don't want to miss any of the other missables in that game. I've never gotten it due me wanting to read all the text since I liked the story. I've only beaten the game once because of that.

And yeah, doing a level one play through while aiming to get Excalibur 2 sure sounds annoying.

finalark

SNORLAX
SoA is awesome by the way.
I remember the first time I played though this one, I remember deciding to shut up the critic in me who was ranting about a cliched plot and poor battle system but I was having too much fun to care.

I'm just kind of wondering this, but am I the only one who didn't like FFVIII?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
A lot of FF fans hate VIII. I liked it though since it had some awesome scenes back in the day. VIII had quite a bit of negatives that people didn't like. People didn't like the junction system. I enjoyed it but the system was broken and it was easy to abuse once you got Siren. Another problem was that it made you not want to use magic.

Also, VIII had a small dumb plot twist.
Everyone except for Rinoa was from the same orphanage and lost their memories to using GFs (yet Selphie remembered but decided not to say anything)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think the only part of FFII I liked was when Guy suddenly used his ability to speak beaver (which he pulled out of nowhere) to help you progress.
Guy loves his beavers (sex joke).

Titus on the other hand I liked because he felt like an actual human being rather than just a one dimensional icon. Plus the fact that he tries to keep an optimistic attitude and doesn't constantly angst over his past is very, very nice to see in a JPRG.
Let me clear this spelling up.

Tidus:

Titus:

in FFX, all you do is press X! :D
i c wut u did thar

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/spoonyone/final-fantasy-viii

otg

Smash Master
Ah Final Fantasy talk. I personally think FFIX is the best. I think the other playstation era FF's (minus FFT) are generally weaker and get more hype. 8 in particular is just a doozy. FFX gets a lot of hate from people, but the atmosphere, music and graphics are sooo good, its hard to ignore. All the SNES era games are great, the original is way too hard and I've never played FF2 or 3. 12 is terrible and I never played 11.

Done.

oh and FFT is amazing.

finalark

SNORLAX
A lot of FF fans hate VIII. I liked it though since it had some awesome scenes back in the day. VIII had quite a bit of negatives that people didn't like. People didn't like the junction system. I enjoyed it but the system was broken and it was easy to abuse once you got Siren. Another problem was that it made you not want to use magic.

Also, VIII had a small dumb plot twist.
Everyone except for Rinoa was from the same orphanage and lost their memories to using GFs (yet Selphie remembered but decided not to say anything)
My main problems with FFVIII were that I didn't like the story or characters and I found the game play to be generally unenjoyable. Although I did like the junction system.

Let me clear this spelling up.
Oops.

I mean besides Spoony.

oh and FFT is amazing.
I never could really get into FFT, I didn't play it at the time of it's initial release and only borrowed it from a friend after hearing so many awesome things about it. Didn't really see what the big deal was.

And am I the only one who actually liked 12 (although it's been a while since I last played it)?

Laurel

Smash Ace
Ah Final Fantasy talk. I personally think FFIX is the best.

Done.

oh and FFT is amazing.

I. LOVED. IX. It was (and is) my absolute favorite. I really need to get Tactics, I feel like the only one who hasn't played it.

~

I enjoyed XIII because of the paradigm shifts and the pretty graphics, but the post-game content and the storyline lacked. Any word on that second XIII or whatever that was going to come out? It was announced with the first one and then fell off the face of the earth.

I'm also extremely excited for XIV, but I think that's only because I am in desperate need for a good MMO.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
My only problem with 8, is Squall reminds me of someone irl I can't stand. So I can't really do it.

So it's not FF, but I got Drakengard today for 8 dollars. I missed this game so much, god it's awesome<3 Love SE for making it.

finalark

SNORLAX
My only problem with 8, is Squall reminds me of someone irl I can't stand. So I can't really do it.
I had a similar problem with Grandia II, the protagonist acts exactly like someone I know who I just can't stand.

So it's not FF, but I got Drakengard today for 8 dollars. I missed this game so much, god it's awesome<3 Love SE for making it.
Drakenwhat now?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually really liked Squall. I found him to be an interesting character. I don't know why people considered him emo, same goes for FFVII Cloud (NOT Advent Children Cloud).

Squall was always cold towards others but I liked how you got to see what he was thinking. Only Squall and Tidus seemed like the only FF heroes where you can understand what they were feeling. Squall was introverted and even a shy guy. :laugh:

I didn't like how Squall suddenly went crazy in love for Rinoa though.
Maybe I need to replay it again since it seemed kinda spontaneous on my first 2 play throughs.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
IMO, Tidus is the most annoying stereotypical hero ever.Super optimistic, slightly dumb, loves a main female character, resents his father, has a dumb, annoying voice.

He is like Jaden from Yu-Gi-Oh GX.

finalark

SNORLAX
IMO, Tidus is the most annoying stereotypical hero ever.
Welcome to the world of JRPGs in which stories are littered with nothing but sterotypes.

Super optimistic,
For me, though, I enjoyed his optimism because it was a nice break from all of the angst usually found in JRPGs.

slightly dumb,
I really don't remember him being particularly dumb, just a n00b to Spira.

loves a main female character,
/facepalm, now you're just trolling.

resents his father,
I personally liked how even though he had an abusive father he isn't like 'WAAAAA!!! MY DADDY WAS MEAN TO ME MY LIFE SUCKS ANGST ANGST ANGST ANGGSSSSSST!!!!!"

has a dumb, annoying voice.
Yeah, FF10 as a whole had some pretty bad voice acting. Although I did like his narration voice.

X1-12

Smash Champion
The only way I can really sum up tidus is to say this:

In Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9, all the protagonists had surnames which in some way reflected what thier life was like, eg Cloud Strife, Squall Lionheart, Zidane Tribal It showed some sort of depth to their character

Tidus doesn't have a surname.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
IMO, Tidus is the most annoying stereotypical hero ever.Super optimistic, slightly dumb, loves a main female character, resents his father, has a dumb, annoying voice.
I would refute this but these are all the things I hate about Snow from FFXIII.

Seriously, every character but Snow in that game had a character change for the better.

Lightning - She learns to trust people more and generally opens up.
Sazh - He learns that he needs to take the well-being of his loved ones into his own hands and stop running away.
Hope - He grows some balls and stops being a little *****.
Vanille - She learns to think before doing stupid things.
Fang - She stops being a rogue and learns to help other people.

Snow - He goes from some happy go lucky frat douche whose only concern is his girlfriend to...a happy go lucky frat douche whose only concern is his girlfriend, with saving the rest of the world being a minor positive by-product.

I really don't remember him being particularly dumb, just a n00b to Spira.
I actually liked his newness to Spira as a plot device to help explain to the player the history and customs of the in-game world. It's a bit out there but a good method of exposition overall.

The only way I can really sum up tidus is to say this:

In Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9, all the protagonists had surnames which in some way reflected what thier life was like, eg Cloud Strife, Squall Lionheart, Zidane Tribal It showed some sort of depth to their character

Tidus doesn't have a surname.
Tidus means "Sun" in Okinawan...possibly to reflect his extremely positive attitude?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually liked his newness to Spira as a plot device to help explain to the player the history and customs of the in-game world. It's a bit out there but a good method of exposition overall.
Agreed. It was interesting that way since the players are also new to the world of Spira so you pretty much understand Spira more when the other characters explain things to Tidus.

Also, I noticed it's a huge trend in RPGs now that if there's character development in an RPG, they always make them annoying and then likable only later so they can call that character development. :laugh:

As for XIII, I am glad that the characters developed, but I felt that they were tossed aside once their role has been done. Also, it might be just me, but I felt the script in XIII was a little weak. It just felt like older FF dialogue put in a cinematic way. It just didn't mesh well for me.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
@Finalark

Drakengard, you get to ride a dragon and hack-n-slash down below. M for mature SE game, so amazing. =]

finalark

SNORLAX
I felt the script in XIII was a little weak. It just felt like older FF dialogue put in a cinematic way. It just didn't mesh well for me.
I haven't played FFXIII yet, but from the videos I've seen it looks like they tried to take the melodramatic dialog from the PS1-era FFs and gave it voices. If I've learned anything from JRPGs and anime, it's that they tend to be very emotional and that this does not always translate well into English. Or into voice work for that matter.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I haven't played FFXIII yet, but from the videos I've seen it looks like they tried to take the melodramatic dialog from the PS1-era FFs and gave it voices. If I've learned anything from JRPGs and anime, it's that they tend to be very emotional and that this does not always translate well into English. Or into voice work for that matter.
Yeah, pretty much. That's just how I felt on the matter.
The dialogue just seemed kind of anime-ish to me.

I actually don't mind stereotyped characters or anime-like dialogue if the game is like "Tales of" games or whatever when it's ok to have stuff like that. But when FF tries to mix that with realism, it just feels weird to be honest.

But yeah, you're right. It doesn't always go well into english or even voices.

Laurel

Smash Ace
Tidus was okay.

What annoys me is how everyone thinks Squall was the emo one. Anyone take a good look at Cloud? Lord.. >_>

And Drakengard was a game I never got into...too boring in the beginning, it didn't capture me.

finalark

SNORLAX
Tidus was okay.

What annoys me is how everyone thinks Squall was the emo one. Anyone take a good look at Cloud? Lord.. >_>
No, Squall wasn't emo, he was just boring with his raw indifference towards everyone and everything.

Yeah, I'd have to say that out of all of the FF protagonists Cloud was probably the most emo out of all of them.

But yeah, you're right. It doesn't always go well into english or even voices.
I think the reason why it might work in text is simply because the voice and tone in which the dialog is spoken is all up to the imagination of the player while when it's voiced that's all taken away and what might have sounded alright in text now sounds either very strange or is just so corny to the point where it's hard to take it seriously.

Laurel

Smash Ace
No, Squall wasn't emo, he was just boring with his raw indifference towards everyone and everything.

Yeah, I'd have to say that out of all of the FF protagonists Cloud was probably the most emo out of all of them.
Yeah, he was extremely boring.

On that note, who was the most exciting protagonist/main character in everyone's opinion?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually thought Cloud wasn't emo at all in FFVII. I thought he was until I replayed it. He was usually happy and he wasn't a character that always tried to be cool either. Even after a certain character died and his past being revealed, he didn't show too many signs of depression, IMO. I think Advent Children and KH made me think he was an emo-depressing character.
On that note, who was the most exciting protagonist/main character in everyone's opinion?
Most exciting? My top choices are Cecil and Zidane with Tidus as 3rd.

Most boring would go towards Vaan or Bartz. Too bad the original director of XII had to leave due to "medical reasons" (I really think there were internal differences with him and Square which caused him to leave). XII could've been an amazing game. At least that game had fun exploration, IMO.

Top Bottom