• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
So I picked up IV for the DS, and the encounter rates are absurd. It's fun so far, but I feel the praised "difficulty" comes form the random encounters every ten steps.
The random encounters are definitely absurd at times. I think for me, the challenge came from the bosses.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well the bosses are definitely tough, I remember having to grind many times since I was underleveled for the boss -_-

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I only ever grinded for the final boss and final dungeon. Up until that point, I was able to get by just fine by using the proper White Magic spells. White Magic is really important in that game so definitely get familiar with what each one does.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well by grind I don't really mean tons of levels, maybe a level or two. And I didn't finish IV on DS (I did on GBA) but played halfway through. The bosses were sorta difficult till then. I think.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
So I picked up IV for the DS, and the encounter rates are absurd. It's fun so far, but I feel the praised "difficulty" comes form the random encounters every ten steps.
You're playing the DS version of IV? Prepare to grind out ten levels between bosses.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Funny you say that, the only boss I had trouble with so far is the Octomammoth.
Oh, wait till later. Like when you start battling the 4 elemental fiends.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Oh, wait till later. Like when you start battling the 4 elemental fiends.
I got to the undead dude last night. I forgot to save when I used that tent, lol. Now I have to get Tellah all over again.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
When I stop getting excited for XV... they bring me right back. The music in this. Also the game looks so much more fluid. It's really getting polished up and coming together. I'm actually excited for this again. During the Active Time Report they mentioned that the release date will be revealed on March 30th and will be a global release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO7nyrNBFXA

We also got to see Dragoon Lady in that trailer. Versus XIII still lives!

finalark

SNORLAX
Metal Gear Sold VI is looking great.

On a more serious note, STELLA (maybe) CONFIRMED! AND SHE'S A DRAGOON! AND AN ANTAGONIST! The music is sounding great, visually it's fantastic and the game play looks like it has the rhythm and flow of a Kingdom Hearts title (which is a good thing). It looks like they've really learned how valuable player feedback is from FFXIV. Using the demo to test the waters was one of the best ideas Sqeenix has ever had.

I'm going to be getting this at midnight for sure.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Metal Gear Sold VI is looking great.

On a more serious note, STELLA (maybe) CONFIRMED! AND SHE'S A DRAGOON! AND AN ANTAGONIST! The music is sounding great, visually it's fantastic and the game play looks like it has the rhythm and flow of a Kingdom Hearts title (which is a good thing). It looks like they've really learned how valuable player feedback is from FFXIV. Using the demo to test the waters was one of the best ideas Sqeenix has ever had.

I'm going to be getting this at midnight for sure.
It's not Stella. It's the same dragoon lady from Versus XIII's trailer iirc.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
It's a bit late but I figured some people here would be interested in knowing that gameplay footage of Ramza Beoulve in Dissida has been released.

Here's a video of some people playing as Ramza

And here are the two FF Tactics songs that have been re-arranged for Dissidia Arcade

It's nice to have some music in this that isn't some kind of synth-remix.

finalark

SNORLAX
So, here's the first episode of the prequel OVA series Sqeenix is putting out for FFXV.

Unfortunately, it's Japanese audio only. And the English subs are hilariously bad. But hey, Marilith from FF1 of all places shows up at the beginning and it's pretty damn cool.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
My older brother tied out the demo last night, and holy damn it looks AMAZING. I mean literally. The graphics; there was so much detail worked into them like it was just amazing. Including the way they did the sun and night! The Final Fantasy is really taking this generation to the next level! I'm especially hyped on the battle system as Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to eventually be based on.

This game looks like it's gonna show ALOT of promise.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
While Final Fantasy XV does look amazing, I have no interest in getting it anytime soon. The only Final Fantasy game I care about at this point is VII, which I'm currently playing on my PS4. I'm really enjoying my first game in the series so far and I'm more looking forward to the remake coming out soon.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, that's unfortunate but at least I'll have something to be excited about for the holidays this year.
Besides, I got Final Fantasy VII on my PS4 to keep me busy til then.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
BUMP

I just beat FFXV.

I'm honestly not entirely sure how to feel about the whole experience. Most of the game was really fun, but man is it filled with missed opportunities, questionable changes from when it was Versus XIII and a really rushed second half.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I finished it last night. I'll lay out my thoughts:

The good for me was the overworld. People complain about bland open world with nothing to do, they still say it for this game but I thought it was plenty good enough. Finding secret dungeons when doing other quests was really fun. I thought they did an impressive job with the map tbh since battle locations had to have warp points and cover spots in mind as well. Chocobo riding never felt this good in a single player FF and I had a lot of fun riding them along with customizing them. Battle systems were weird at first. This was actually the part I was worried about most. I didn't want a game where I knew story wasn't outstanding to where I didn't enjoy the battle system. While not my ideal FF battle system, I'm happy that it began to click and I got enjoyment out of it, so it wasn't a chore.

The bad, salvaging a project isn't easy. In fact as a dev team, you're going to have an easier time doing something from scratch, but as a business perspective, redoing Versus XIII into this was the best financially. While I would've loved to have seen the original idea, XV is a totally different game than Versus. What I'm disappointed in was how they were scrambling to complete the project in that trailers from 2013 to 2015 pretty much weren't in the game for the most part. You can really see it when you play the game. There are parts where we can already guess to be the DLC episodes for the bros, but there are some characters that get little of anything (Ravus comes to mind). The story wasn't great, but I was still enjoying it from chapters 1-8. Once we reached 9, the story took a fall and didn't pick back up until chapter 14.
Demon slaying Iris and older Cindy shown is a huge must. I really want to see the status of all the characters we've met earlier in the story. The truck ride with Talcott along with the optional dialogue with him at Hammerhead was great. It made me want to see what Noctis missed out on during that time.

Game's going to get support post release which is fine. People are angry, but this isn't new for FF or Square in general for that matter. Problem is I don't think some patches can help certain problems I had with the game (Chapter 13 in its entirety). I really want them to expand on Chapter 14 since there's so much potential, but I don't see that happening for a long while.

Does this game rank among FF4-12 for me? No, but I had fun with it. It's biggest problem for me was not living up to its potential (I'm ignoring Versus, I just mean the product of XV itself) which isn't the most terrible thing for the game, so not too bad. The flaws in this game were strengths in XIII (cutscene direction), but the strengths that FFXIII lacked (content) was abundant in FFXV. While FFXIII felt more like an FF game for me (but not a great FF since there wasn't much to do), I'd say I had more fun in FFXV. I put a lot more time into my playthrough, and I'm really happy they allowed us to not lock us out of going back and doing open world stuff.

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty positive about FFXV. Fun, but looking forward to the extras. Sadly chapter 13 will be something I'll dread on a NG+ replay after the patch.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If you like open world RPGs and Final Fantasy games in general, I would definitely go for it. It's not as good as the older games in the series but it's still a decent entry.

The FFXII remake is coming out for the PS4 next month. I don't plan to get that game myself anytime soon.

Rizen

Smash Legend
This is just my opinion but it feels like most games Square-Enix has made lately are bad fan-fics. FFX-2, 13-2&3, World of FF, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus. IDK about FFXIV. What happened?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I thought Advent Children was great. As one of many who's played FFVII, I really enjoyed watching that movie. I don't know about the others you mentioned. I do have X-2 but I haven't played it because I'm still playing through X.

I will say this: 13 is pretty bad.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I thought Advent Children was great. As one of many who's played FFVII, I really enjoyed watching that movie. I don't know about the others you mentioned. I do have X-2 but I haven't played it because I'm still playing through X.

I will say this: 13 is pretty bad.
I'm the opposite. I thought 13 was okay, although not great. 13 had a decent Sci-fi story
Of these god-like computers that run the world and have achieved sentience in the case of Orphan. But it's bound by its programing of providing for what it sees as a hopeless society. "Too thick a shell and they would not die. Too thin a shell and they would not live. Slaughter and Salvation." So it tries to manipulate the main characters who were changed into soldiers by an enemy Fal-cie into destroying it and Cocoon. Then in the end, the moment the entire game led up to, Ragnarok is used not to destroy the world but rather give the citizens a new one, free of the ant-farm like lives of the old they were locked into. A new world on Pulse where, for better or for worse, they can forge their own destinies.
...then 13-2 came and **** all over the story with gods, retcons and deus ex machina.

I will say 10-2 was a fun game. Not the best story but w/e.

Advent Children takes one of the best RBG stories FFVII, recycles parts in ways that make no sense, makes the main hero a whiny emo, and throws it all together in a CPgraphic- reliant bad action anime.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is just my opinion but it feels like most games Square-Enix has made lately are bad fan-fics. FFX-2, 13-2&3, World of FF, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus.
If by lately you mean ten years ago then sure.

IDK about FFXIV. What happened?
FFXIV is fantastic.

Story is bit long winded and padded in places, but its still the best MMORPG on the market IMO.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Haven't played FFXIV before. Don't think I will especially when I have a ton of other games to play and finish.

Top Bottom