• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I'm really hoping we get some form of local multiplayer in this and that it's not all 3v3 online.

Also, still hoping we'll see playable villains and non-protagonists (Shantotto and Y'shtola aside) soon. I really want my main man Laguna back.
They've gone on record previously to say that all previous dissidia characters will be returning. They're going to support the game after arcade release through updates and DLC, but due to development time only the 14 heroes will be playable on initial release (WoL, Firion, OK, Cecil, Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Shantotto, Vaan, Lightning & Yshtola). We also know Ramza's coming but he's MIA currently. They're aiming for a 50+ roster. We had 30 in Duodecim (31 including Feral Chaos), which gives us 20 new characters to look forward to in addition to the existing cast (19 if you subtract Ramza).

---

Game looks beautiful either way. I loved the first two games but always thought they were completely squandering the potential of Dissidia by keeping it on a handheld. Here's hoping that 1v1 will still be in the game, and hopefully they change their minds about having only one HP attack.

all this game needs now is Beatrix and Seifer and I'm all good.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like this is something we should talk about.

I actually have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I happy to have an FF rep in Smash, especially since the series got its start on Nintendo. On the other hand, I really wish it wasn't Cloud. Nintendo's history with FFVII is particularly unpleasent and it just feels wrong to have a rep from a game that isn't even playable on Nintendo consoles.

I really wish it had been the Warrior of Light and the Shrine of Chaos from FFI instead.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
finalark finalark

I don't think Warrior of Light would have been popular enough. Black Mage might have been an option but it's not even a character and could never hope to generate as much hype as Cloud has. I personally wanted to see Terra but I knew that would never happen.

I'm really happy to see Final Fantasy in Smash Bros though. I like Cloud a lot still and the summons look amazing. Maybe they'll release FFVII on the Wii U or 3DS virtual consoles or something.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm fine with it. I don't think they have to release any game of FFVII on Nintendo consoles to justify it either.

The 3rd parties were never used a source of advertisement for a new game. The biggest goal is the characters making an advertisement/marketing for Smash, not anything else.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
For better or worse, Cloud is the main character of the most popular Final Fantasy game, he makes sense as a rep for the series.

As for me, I've only recently started playing FFVII, having only played about the first disc many years ago. I don't have much of a connection to him and personally would have chosen a different character(probably Zidane, so I'm not really any better when it comes to the series' connection with Nintendo, haha). I'm okay with it though, new characters are cool.

Last edited:

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Cloud basically is Final Fantasy at this point. I don't say it as a means of detracting from the quality of the other games in the series but literally no other character in the series is as popular or well-known as him. I have no doubt that he'll shift a ton of sales purely because of how many people like him, way more than any other FF character bar maybe Sephiroth could ever hope to achieve.

I appreciated the Sakurai-approach in terms of character presentation here. It's cool seeing his limit breaks match up with the original game in appearance (green bladebeam, climhazard lunge and launch, etc). Hits you right in the nostalgia.

I also find it slightly humorous that PlayStation All-Stars somehow did not manage to get Cloud on the roster, but Ninty's mascot fighter did.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I love how the trailer was handled. It even has Cloud getting sick/dizzy on the King of Red Lions which made me laugh. Still can't handle any sort of transportation that well. Got to hand it to Sakurai with the finer details on things.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I love how the trailer was handled. It even has Cloud getting sick/dizzy on the King of Red Lions which made me laugh. Still can't handle any sort of transportation that well. Got to hand it to Sakurai with the finer details on things.
I kept thinking that was a reference to something. I have yet to play FFVII (I know, I'm horrible), so I don't really understand it. Could you please explain?

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I kept thinking that was a reference to something. I have yet to play FFVII (I know, I'm horrible), so I don't really understand it. Could you please explain?
Cloud suffers from motion sickness. He discusses it with Yuffie (another playable character) on the Highwind (an airship) later in the game when she asks him for advice on how to deal with it as she suffers with it to a far worse extent than he does.

There is also a mini-game in an area called the Gold Saucer that involve shooting targets from a roller coaster, there's a chance Cloud will have a bout of motion sickness after completing a session of it, though the chances of it occurring are quite rare.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Or the part he took Wario's bike (reference to the motorcycle chase) or when he's laying down with Zelda near him (reference to when he woke up next to Aeris/Aerith in the church).

They really did a nice job of referencing all the small things.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
You know? I really hope that content from Final Fantasies IV and VI make it into Smash 4 in some way. Even just trophies and music would suffice. Those games are some of the most important JRPGs to ever hit a Nintendo console and it'll be a shame to only see Final Fantasy VII stuff in the game instead.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't hold your breath for much FFVI representation. While it might be one of the most important RPGs of the SNES era in the West, in the East it's genuinely considered one of the weakest games in the franchise.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Speaking of which, when Smash 4 got Ryu, did we get assist trophies or anything from the series? Or was it just the stage and character? I haven't bought Ryu yet :(

finalark

SNORLAX
Speaking of which, when Smash 4 got Ryu, did we get assist trophies or anything from the series? Or was it just the stage and character? I haven't bought Ryu yet :(
I think it's just the stage and character. Because if there's any new assist trophies or even regular trophies I haven't come across them yet.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I feel like this is something we should talk about.

I actually have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I happy to have an FF rep in Smash, especially since the series got its start on Nintendo. On the other hand, I really wish it wasn't Cloud. Nintendo's history with FFVII is particularly unpleasent and it just feels wrong to have a rep from a game that isn't even playable on Nintendo consoles.

I really wish it had been the Warrior of Light and the Shrine of Chaos from FFI instead.
Personally I thought someone like Cecil Harvey from Final Fantasy IV would be a prime candidate for Final Fantasy rep. However, since I've been playing the Final Fantasy series for a long time, I have no arguments for Cloud's inclusion since FFVII is one of my fave FF series along with X (plus I've always dreamed of having Cloud in Smash.)

I do expect Nintendo or Sakurai to give answers about Cloud's inclusion at some point.

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
So, is anyone else looking forward to FF Explorers? It looks like it will be a really fun experience to me. Anyone getting this game when it comes out next year? And if so, what do you plan to play as? I'm personally gonna try to master as many jobs as I can so I can be versatile in multiplayer, but I'll probably focus more on DPS jobs. I'll probably do Monk first, then Samurai, then Black Mage, then Blue Mage, then White Mage, and so on.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Would anybody have an interest in playing a Final Fantasy game that's entire art direction is basically a living painting of Yo****aka Amano's? Think Okami with it's washed out colors but with Amano's character designs, aesthetics, and strange architecture. The first six Final Fantasy games weren't capable of bringing his art to life (save for character portraits and enemy sprites) but modern game technology is already past this point now.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Would anybody have an interest in playing a Final Fantasy game that's entire art direction is basically a living painting of Yo****aka Amano's? Think Okami with it's washed out colors but with Amano's character designs, aesthetics, and strange architecture. The first six Final Fantasy games weren't capable of bringing his art to life (save for character portraits and enemy sprites) but modern game technology is already past this point now.
Unpopular opinion time, I'm not really a fan of Amano's people, he can make some wonderful images, but when people are the focus it just doesn't look good to me.

So probably not me personally.

If I could get something that captures Akihiko Yoshida's artstyle though, that would be perfect.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'd love for this to happen, honestly. It could help make FFXVI stand out as a mainline title if the character designs and aesthetics were to completely match Amano's designs in an HD setting. It might also be a nice change of pace from the gritty, realistic Nomura designs in FFXV.

I've even thought the next Final Fantasy game should be set in a world that's heavily inspired by the first three FF games, if at least to commemorate the series' upcoming 30th anniversary.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I was thinking more on the lines of FFXVI having that kind of setting, as I don't play MMORPGs. Yeah, FFXIV does look like it would fit in with the old-school Final Fantasy games, but I don't really care for that if I can't have an offline experience with it.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I don't know if anyone else here has noticed but the new Dissidia: Final Fantasy has been out in Japanese arcades for a while now. There are a bunch of videos of gameplay on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK8Vx7J2Ck4

From the video I linked, it doesn't seem like the fighting mechanics are all that engaging. It mostly looks like they're just flying around and instead of fighting. That could be due to the fact that the players just aren't skilled though.

I'm not very experienced with the Dissidia games myself. Would someone who is more familiar with the series like to offer their opinions on the gameplay?

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm not very experienced with the Dissidia games myself. Would someone who is more familiar with the series like to offer their opinions on the gameplay?
As a guy who's played both of the PSP games, let me weigh in.

Yep. That's Dissidia alright.

You'll spend a lot of your time in these games maneuvering around an arena and trying to find an opportune moment to strike. It's not the kind of game where you're constantly butting heads, its a bit more tactical than that.

That being said, it's usually a lot faster than that. The guy who's playing is playing it very safe and isn't being particularly aggressive.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I was thinking more on the lines of FFXVI having that kind of setting, as I don't play MMORPGs. Yeah, FFXIV does look like it would fit in with the old-school Final Fantasy games, but I don't really care for that if I can't have an offline experience with it.
But- it's got what you're wanting. I mean yeah it's "online" but if you're thinking typical mmorpg you're wrong. This is a damn good game in the series for FF fans.

finalark

SNORLAX
But- it's got what you're wanting. I mean yeah it's "online" but if you're thinking typical mmorpg you're wrong. This is a damn good game in the series for FF fans.
FFXIV is the best FF game in years.

Unfortunately most fans will never play it because it's an MMORPG.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'll play FFXIV eventually. Before XI or after, I still don't know. I haven't decided.
I don't know what your experience with MMOs is, but XI really, really doesn't hold up over a decade later. If you're curious to know what MMOs were like in a pre-WoW world, XI is a relic of that era. I'd most certainly recommend FFXIV over it in a heartbeat.

That being said, if you're interested in playing FFXI now's the time to do it. It's not going to be long before there is no FFXI.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't know what your experience with MMOs is, but XI really, really doesn't hold up over a decade later. If you're curious to know what MMOs were like in a pre-WoW world, XI is a relic of that era. I'd most certainly recommend FFXIV over it in a heartbeat.

That being said, if you're interested in playing FFXI now's the time to do it. It's not going to be long before there is no FFXI.
I'm mostly going to play it not to look for an MMO experience, but to just experience XI itself. So I'm not looking for something to constantly invest time in. I don't really play MMOs. The closest for me were the PSO games way back, but those weren't exactly massive. But yeah, I'm mostly looking forward to just seeing the game built and experiencing the story for both titles, not much more.

finalark

SNORLAX
I will warn that XI is a massive time sink. Even just finishing the main story will take a very, very long time. I'd ballpark it at upwards near 70-80 hours, and that's just the base game. It's probably even more now since new players are very hard to find leaving you to do a lot of stuff solo, making things harder/more grindy.

FFXIV is much more casual in this regard (and in general), as the main story can be finished in around 30-40 hours, like your standard FF game. Not to mention it has a huge player base (five million last time I checked) meaning that you won't be screwed on mandatory group content.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That's fine. It looks like the price went back up on Amazon, so I might hold off on it for awhile (that and I have XCX out today).

XI's just one of those bucket list games for me, especially with the writers involved making me want to check it out.

Top Bottom