• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Jessie, Biggs and Wedge look awesome.

Presentation is nice, combat system looks good. At one point the camera is centered on Barret while Cloud's off in the background choppin' people up so I feel like it's reasonable to assume that we can control any character in the party during while the others run on AI if they're not currently selected.

It's nice to watch this trailer and recognise the places/areas from the original game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Game looks fantastic. I wasn't expecting this much content after the E3 reveal (that Square track record last gen).

Really loving how the presentation looks. The colors of Midgar really are just like the PS1 too.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm really enjoying the dub. The voice work is fantastic and I have a feeling that the Avalanche B-Team's fate will be much more heartbreaking, I feel like I can really get attached to them more than I could in the PS1 version.

That being said, am I the only one who thinks Barrett's new design makes him look like Blade?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The shades definitely give me that vibe. It's neat seeing him more of a cool leader as opposed to a guy that just got angry, cussed, and beat his chest like a gorilla.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So like the rumor suggested, Cyber Connect 2 is helping development. They're just doing the heavy lifting, so this is actually a very good thing, not a bad one. Second thing to note is the game is going to be released episodically. I'm hearing a lot of people angry about this, but I don't mind it. For one, we'll at least get bits of the game in a timely fashion. Second, this gives us really dense portions of the game while having little cut out. If they were to release this as one game, I can't expect them to finish everything.

They haven't stated how long each episode will be, but there are a number of parts that could make sense. I doubt it'll be one for each of the PS1 discs, it'll most likely be more than that.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm pretty indifferent towards the episodic release model. I'm just going to wait for it to finish and they buy the completed game on disc if its an option.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Is anyone else around here in the minority of people who are actually intrigued by Cloud's more sickly and less idealized look in the remake? In the past, it's annoyed me how so many Final Fantasy designs have been overly pretty. When watching Advent Children, it really bugged me how people who lived in slums were somehow able to maintain amazing looking hair and skin. But I actually like that they're making Cloud look more rough around the edges this time around.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Is anyone else around here in the minority of people who are actually intrigued by Cloud's more sickly and less idealized look in the remake? In the past, it's annoyed me how so many Final Fantasy designs have been overly pretty. When watching Advent Children, it really bugged me how people who lived in slums were somehow able to maintain amazing looking hair and skin. But I actually like that they're making Cloud look more rough around the edges this time around.
To be fair, he was pretty rough around the edges in the PS1 version too, at least going by the official art.

I'm curious to know how they're going to handle Vincent. In the original game he came off as more stoic and emotionless, at least to me. In the 2000s spin-offs his personality got shifted to a brooding 2000s anti-hero but now we're in the 10s. That sort of thing doesn't really fly anymore and is usually the point of mockery. I wonder what they're going to do with him?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The remake has the opportunity to go more into his backstory, make us feel sorry for him. Just the tragic past, character. Original FFVII already did, but they could do a bit more, especially if they make him mandatory.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Cloud looking sickly makes a lot of sense in the context of the story. To be honest I'm surprised he doesn't look worse. It gets a thumbs up from me.

I'm also completely indifferent to the episodic thing as long as it's done well. The only real issues it presents are A. Small amounts of content for exorbitant prices or B. Excessive amounts of padding to try and inflate the size of the episodes. Not that they're guaranteed to be issues, but they're the big potential stumbling blocks IMO.

As long as Vincent is more original FF7 and not Dirge of Cerberus I'll probably be fine with it.

I'm interested to see what they do with Biggs, Jessie and Wedge. They recently went on record tk say they were going to explore their characters more in the remake, maximise the feels I suppose.

Lashurn

Smash Rookie
NNID
HexDarkWolf360
3DS FC
1075-1404-4255
Anyone noticed how clouds Cross Slash can sometimes poop out on like the second hit?

ive had this happen multiple times that my foe will get out the attack on the second hit from knockback, or if not, the third to fourth slash will miss.

Smash DI, or awkward hitboxes/Knockback?

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
So I decided to start playing through the original Final Fantasy a few days ago. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

It's difficult to get a sense of where to go sometimes but I actually find this really interesting. In order to make progress, you have to explore completely unknown areas while trying to keep your party alive one encounter after another. I've recovered the crown from the Mist Cave and now I'm making my way on toward Melmond in the West.

I also find it very interesting how wildly different this game is from other early entries in the series I've played. The design of every town is incredibly... functional. They all include an inn, various shops, and a chapel to revive dead party members. Nothing else. Dungeons have a different design to them. So far, I've yet to find a dungeon I've had to make it through in order to cross over to another side of the map. They're more like mazes with a single objective plus a lot of optional rooms filled with treasures... sort of like DnD, I guess.

In addition to that, I bought FFVIII on Steam. Before, I lost interest in the game and decided not to finish it and to skip ahead to FFIX instead. I just wasn't very attached to the story or characters and I felt like the pacing had issues. I'm going to give it a second try and attempt to complete it though. Maybe I'll enjoy it a little more this time through.

finalark

SNORLAX
So I decided to start playing through the original Final Fantasy a few days ago. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

It's difficult to get a sense of where to go sometimes
Oh man, wait until you play FFII.

I also find it very interesting how wildly different this game is from other early entries in the series I've played. The design of every town is incredibly... functional. They all include an inn, various shops, and a chapel to revive dead party members. Nothing else. Dungeons have a different design to them. So far, I've yet to find a dungeon I've had to make it through in order to cross over to another side of the map. They're more like mazes with a single objective plus a lot of optional rooms filled with treasures... sort of like DnD, I guess.
IMO one of the more interesting things about FFI that sets it apart from the rest of the series is just how inspired it was by DnD. Everything from Bahumat being a benevolent Dragon god to Tiamat being a multi-headed monstrosity is right out of DnD.

Not to mention its the only game in the series to feature elves.

In addition to that, I bought FFVIII on Steam. Before, I lost interest in the game and decided not to finish it and to skip ahead to FFIX instead. I just wasn't very attached to the story or characters and I felt like the pacing had issues. I'm going to give it a second try and attempt to complete it though. Maybe I'll enjoy it a little more this time through.
VIII is a love it or hate it kind of game. If you're into RPG game play then its complex and exploitable systems are fun but if you're playing for a story you're gonna get a little shafted. In other words, good game play, bad story. It's basically the reverse FFIX.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I've also found that I'm becoming more and more optimistic about the quality of the Dissidia: Final Fantasy reboot. It's to the point that I'm beginning to look forward to it more than both the Final Fantasy VII remake and Final Fantasy XV. I really like how it seems to have streamlined some of the extraneous elements of the original two games (like leveling and equipment). I also just like seeing Amano designs like Terra and Cecil in HD.

Two particularly impressive moments in the gameplay video above:

3:33 - Terra assists Cloud to win the game
7:26 - Terra's reversal on WoL

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I hear that Dissidia's not doing too amazing in arcades right now. Not as bad as Pokken is performing, but it's not getting as many people as they'd hope. 3v3 might've been a bit too much.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I was skeptical about the 3v3 gameplay before but now, I actually find it very fitting for a Final Fantasy fighter. After all, the series has always been about a group of heroes and not just one. Final Fantasy has never been about 1v1 fights.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I still haven't bought Type-0 yet now that I think about it. Too busy with the Trails series. Think I'll just put it off until summer because of sales.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
A lot of places are saying it will have a high speed mode, which is very much needed.

I can't wait to see my favorite FF perfected.

I'm still waiting to see that FFXII HD is real, but I want a faster FFIX more right now.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
And this game just got the Wind Waker treatment for me. Amazing game that gets a port fixing one of the flaws I've had. High speed mode generally doesn't affect the clock, so Excalibur II should be easier to get as well if that's the case.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Which is the better starting point for a FF newcomer; 4 or 6?
They're pretty different, but I'd say 6. It was my first FF game and I'd say it eased me quite well into the series.

I haven't played the DS version of 4, so I'm not sure if that affects anything.

finalark

SNORLAX
ALL ABOARD THE HIGH-SPEED HYPE TRAIN

Unfortunately, we'll still have to deal with a broken Trance system but I'm still really happy to see one of my favorite FFs finally get a much-needed update.

Which is the better starting point for a FF newcomer; 4 or 6?
I'd say VI. It's much more newbie friendly and has that nice middle ground between pointing you in the right direction and letting you tackle the game at your own pace.

FFIV isn't a bad game, it just hasn't aged very well. Even with updated ports and remakes it still feels very dated and ridiculously grindy.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
If you're going to try FFIV, a fair warning: the DS version (or the 3D remake regardless of platform) is incredibly difficult and might discourage a newcomer. You might want to go for the SNES version, titled Final Fantasy II instead.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you're going to try FFIV, a fair warning: the DS version (or the 3D remake regardless of platform) is incredibly difficult and might discourage a newcomer. You might want to go for the SNES version, titled Final Fantasy II instead.
I'd suggest the GBA version of it. The updated visuals and script while retaining the easytype difficulty really do wonders for the game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
SNES version's amusing because of how it was programmed. I remember that the Condemn counter over your character didn't match the game's battle speed. So you could easily die if you changed your battle speed (to slow?).

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Final Fantasy IX is coming to PC!

They weren't kidding. I have my copy on the PS1 that I've yet to play since I picked it up two years ago. Time to get into it!

...after I finish either 7 or 13. Not sure which one since I'm at least halfway in both of them (Chapter 10 in 13, at least halfway in 7 where Cloud and Tifa aren't in the party)

finalark

SNORLAX
They weren't kidding. I have my copy on the PS1 that I've yet to play since I picked it up two years ago. Time to get into it!

...after I finish either 7 or 13. Not sure which one since I'm at least halfway in both of them (Chapter 10 in 13, at least halfway in 7 where Cloud and Tifa aren't in the party)
If you're familiar with the level 5 Death/Grand Dragon power leveling trick you can blow through the rest of IX pretty easily if you want to get it out of the way.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If you're familiar with the level 5 Death/Grand Dragon power leveling trick you can blow through the rest of IX pretty easily if you want to get it out of the way.
Really? I need to look upon this. How long does it take to complete the game based on that alone?

finalark

SNORLAX
Really? I need to look upon this. How long does it take to complete the game based on that alone?
You have to get up to the Iifa tree on disk 2 first, which will probably be around ~10-15 hours or so. Then, you need to hit the point where you can backtrack to Gizalamuke's Grotto, which can be anywhere from 5-8 hours. Then you got several hours of power leveling to do, but once your entire party is level 70 or so you can blow through the remaining game in no time at all. Maybe 15 hours if you bullrush it to the end and skip all the optional stuff.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Now that is DEFINITELY worth putting some time into it. Since this is my first time playing it, I think it's best that I try this out and maybe down the road get a better and longer playthrough or so. Based on that alone, that looks like it could be around 30 hours-ish to complete the game?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've been wanting to try out the Final Fantasy games for a very long time since the advertising of Final Fantasy X-2, which was the first time I've ever heard of the series. Cloud's inclusion in Sm4sh has once again increased my interest in playing a game in the series, specifically VII, in which I've heard there's gonna be a remake of it for the PlayStation 4. Pretty excited for that one as it is one of the main reasons why I'm planning to get a PS4 but seeing as there hasn't been any new details about the game regarding its release date and such, it could be a while.

Are there any other Final Fantasy games available for the PS4 in the meantime?

finalark

SNORLAX
Are there any other Final Fantasy games available for the PS4 in the meantime?
Right now there's three FFs on PS4. Type-0, an action RPG spin off (that includes a demo for FFXV), Final Fantasy XIV, an MMORPG, and the Final Fantasy X HD collection.

I haven't played Type-0, so I can't speak for it. But XIV has a massive community and is honestly the best MMO on the market right now. But if MMOs aren't really your thing FFX HD comes with HD comes with both FFX and X-2. Both of which actually hold up pretty well despite dated voice acting on X's part and a really stupid narrative on X-2's.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I bought FF7 during the Steam sale and so far I'm loving it. A shame Aeris dies, she's coming off as likable and her magic skills are really useful. I guess Red XIII could be my mage....

Twewy

Smash Lord
I kind of want Marche for the new Dissidia just to see if he tries to get Cloud back into a wheelchair.

"YOUR MEMORIES, IT'S ESCAPISM. IT'S NOT HEALTHY FOR YOU, CLOUD."

finalark

SNORLAX
RAMZA SCREENS FOR DISSIDIA.

He's looking pretty good.

EDIT: Some old Tictacs art for comparison.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
So I picked up IV for the DS, and the encounter rates are absurd. It's fun so far, but I feel the praised "difficulty" comes form the random encounters every ten steps.

Top Bottom