• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's Beard - General. Social. Rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Ehh I like Canadorfs better. It sounds like Canada and Ganondorf. Great success.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Just want to say if any of you live in Louisiana, **** you guys...

I can only hope that the next gigantic swirling mass of wind and water that ****s on you will be named Hurricane Favre.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Just want to say if any of you live in Louisiana, **** you guys...

I can only hope that the next gigantic swirling mass of wind and water that ****s on you will be named Hurricane Favre.
Hey now, New Orleans hasn't won EVER, right? Good for them. Although I feel bad for Favre. He ****ed up bad.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Hey now, New Orleans hasn't won EVER, right? Good for them. Although I feel bad for Favre. He ****ed up bad.
Regardless, being a Vikings fan basically requires that you are on some form of anti-depressant medication, its very emotionally taxing..

I don't blame Favre (he wouldn't have had to throw if we didn't have 12 people in the huddle the play before...) we gave them the ball FIVE times, and still destroyed them in almost every category... either way that was probably the best football game ive ever seen, even tho we got robbed... hard.

:urg:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The Olympic Hockey Games will be awesome.
Though I'm not sure if Peter Forsberg can participate due to the injury he had a couple weeks ago.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Who's excited for The Who concert on Feb. 7th?

I hear there might be some people playing football too.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Yeah, Roger and Pete are still tearing it up. Keith Moon drank himself to death and John Entwistle died from a heart attack or something. True rock stars :p

@HomE

Smash Ace
True rock stars die when they are 27....

60 yr olds who play because they have ran out of money from their one time famous band = jerks

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
True rock stars die when they are 27....

60 yr olds who play because they have ran out of money from their one time famous band = jerks
I highly doubt either of them ran out of money. The Who was probably the third most influential band of the 60's, which is saying a LOT since the 60's was the best decade of music in the history of mankind.

Besides, half of the band died at an early age anyways. Keith Moon (the greatest drummer of all time in my opinion) drank himself to death, and John Entwistle (maybe the greatest bassist of all time) was found in bed with a stripper after he died from a heart attack induced by cocaine.

It doesn't even matter anyways. Any song that Pete and Roger will perform at the Super Bowl will be much better than any rock song that has come out in the last 25 years (at least).

Here's hoping for a Led Zeppelin show next year.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I highly doubt either of them ran out of money. The Who was probably the third most influential band of the 60's, which is saying a LOT since the 60's was the best decade of music in the history of mankind.

Besides, half of the band died at an early age anyways. Keith Moon (the greatest drummer of all time in my opinion) drank himself to death, and John Entwistle (maybe the greatest bassist of all time) was found in bed with a stripper after he died from a heart attack induced by cocaine.

It doesn't even matter anyways. Any song that Pete and Roger will perform at the Super Bowl will be much better than any rock song that has come out in the last 25 years (at least).

Here's hoping for a Led Zeppelin show next year.
You would be surprised how fast you can spend millions and millions. Keith Moon was not even close to the best drummer of all time (just an opinion, BUT I've been playing drums for 10+ years so I should have at least a little clout). (Zach Hill {Hella} Vince Rogers {Tera Melos} Andrew Forsman {The Fall of Troy})

Have you heard of Victor Wooten?

arguing who is the best (insert instrument here) player is nonsense tho... There are thousands and thousands of amazing musicians 95% of them none of us have ever heard of.

Robert Plant is insane now and ALL his music I've heard is godawful, Led Zep in their prime were amazing but i think we just have to let them go..

Best decade of music was the 00's :chuckle:

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
You would be surprised how fast you can spend millions and millions. Keith Moon was not even close to the best drummer of all time (just an opinion, BUT I've been playing drums for 10+ years so I should have at least a little clout). (Zach Hill {Hella} Vince Rogers {Tera Melos} Andrew Forsman {The Fall of Troy})

arguing who is the best (insert instrument here) player is nonsense tho... There are thousands and thousands of amazing musicians 95% of them none of us have ever heard of.

Robert Plant is insane now and ALL his music I've heard is godawful, Led Zep in their prime were amazing but i think we just have to let them go..

Best decade of music was the 00's :chuckle:
victor wooten +1
neil pert +1

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Keith Moon was not even close to the best drummer of all time (just an opinion, BUT I've been playing drums for 10+ years so I should have at least a little clout). (Zach Hill {Hella} Vince Rogers {Tera Melos} Andrew Forsman {The Fall of Troy})

This times 1000.

I would like to point you to some of my own personal favorites (there is no such thing as a "best" in a non-competitive art, but I would say these are amongst the top of their art.):

-Drummer: Terry Bozzio (Not a big drummer fan, but this guy... wow.)
-Pianist/Keyboardists: Michel Pettruciani, George Duke, Chick Corea, Tommy Mars
-Bassist: Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten (Who, while he's in the top 5 for me, I have to wonder how he got so much more known then some of these others), Jaco Pastorius, Richard Bona, Bootsy Collins, Fingersmoran, Les Claypool, Larry Graham, Billy Sheehan, Stuart Hamm, Alain Caron, and probably a dozen others I'm forgetting (Can you tell I play bass? :laugh: Shoutout to Jay Leonhart too. He's a very funny bassist.)
-Guitarists: Al Di Meola, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, pretty much every guitarist who has ever been in Zappa's band.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I didn't say BEST drummer. I said GREATEST. The way Keith Moon drummed was completely unprecedented, and even though he wasn't as technically proficient as Neil Peart (he's the BEST drummer, in my opinion), the music that Keith Moon created with his drums was simply better than everyone else's, when combined with the rest of his band.

And you think '00's was the best decade in music? The decade of NSYNC, Britney Spears, Nickelback, Soulja Boy, My Chemical Romance, and Taylor Swift? Really? XD

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
*looks at fromundaman's sig*

*looks at linked post and surrounding posts*

I missed a debate on the meaning of life, AND there was tons of misinformation on Catholicism? Daaaaamn.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I didn't say BEST drummer. I said GREATEST. The way Keith Moon drummed was completely unprecedented, and even though he wasn't as technically proficient as Neil Peart (he's the BEST drummer, in my opinion), the music that Keith Moon created with his drums was simply better than everyone else's, when combined with the rest of his band.

And you think '00's was the best decade in music? The decade of NSYNC, Britney Spears, Nickelback, Soulja Boy, My Chemical Romance, and Taylor Swift? Really? XD
I would disagree, if again, only because of Terry Bozzio and his performance with the Mothers of Invention. That being said, that is opinion.

As for that... a lot of other stuff came out in the 00's too, though sadly, the only things that shall be remembered are the piles of **** you just named.

That being said, I personally think 70's-80's were the best recent decade for music too, so meh.

@HomE

Smash Ace
...NSync came out in 96'

Britney was in 98'

Nickelback started in 95'

... that being said, YES Nickelback should be shot into the sun...

Ton of ****ty music comes out in every decade is just a BILLION times easier to get your music to anyone on the planet. I could record myself taking a **** and have a myspace up in 10 mins, that "Band" (lets call it **** Symphony) would instantly be available to basically the entire civilized planet...

That was not the case even 15 - 20 years ago... So, yes, we will have alot more **** to sift through, but the diamonds we can find in all that ****, can be phenomenal. There are some very very amazing musicians alive right now, and we are in a time when things that were not possible to do 15 - 20 - 30 years ago, are now possible. I think its a very exciting time to be a musician.

And when I'm famous you can say that you beat my Ganondorf up back in 09 :chuckle:

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Well, I'm currently watching the series Clannad, and I have to say that I'm absolutely fascinated with it.

Carry on with your music... thing.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
...NSync came out in 96'

Britney was in 98'

Nickelback started in 95'

... that being said, YES Nickelback should be shot into the sun...

Ton of ****ty music comes out in every decade is just a BILLION times easier to get your music to anyone on the planet. I could record myself taking a **** and have a myspace up in 10 mins, that "Band" (lets call it **** Symphony) would instantly be available to basically the entire civilized planet...

That was not the case even 15 - 20 years ago... So, yes, we will have alot more **** to sift through, but the diamonds we can find in all that ****, can be phenomenal. There are some very very amazing musicians alive right now, and we are in a time when things that were not possible to do 15 - 20 - 30 years ago, are now possible. I think its a very exciting time to be a musician.

And when I'm famous you can say that you beat my Ganondorf up back in 09 :chuckle:
Well those three bands were at the height of their popularity in the early '00s; that's why I mentioned them.

The thing is, sure there are many more ways for talented musicians to showcase their songs today than decades ago. However, these myspace videos are just that: myspace videos. Even if these new musicians are brilliantly talented and unique, there's no way they'll become popular and influence other musicians. It's solely left to the corporations to promote these bands, and they know that crappy, generic music is what sells today. And they don't want to promote these bands because they stand to lose money from it.

Therefore, I'm not saying that people in the 60's were inherently better at making music than 00's musicians (though the LSD really helped). I'm saying that the music industry was much more free back then, and good bands got promoted because they were good, not because it will make some CEO richer.

However, I will say this: I think that most musicians today are heavily influenced by the **** rock that's on the market right now, whether they like it or not. And that's why there are so few good bands. That's why, to me (an avid guitar player), it's pretty much the LEAST exciting time to be a musician; if I actually wanted to make it as a musician, I'd pretty much be forced to put out **** rock so I can pay my bills. People don't really seem to look for creativity in music any more; they just want to listen to some douche with dark, girly hair complain about his life.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Well those three bands were at the height of their popularity in the early '00s; that's why I mentioned them.

The thing is, sure there are many more ways for talented musicians to showcase their songs today than decades ago. However, these myspace videos are just that: myspace videos. Even if these new musicians are brilliantly talented and unique, there's no way they'll become popular and influence other musicians. It's solely left to the corporations to promote these bands, and they know that crappy, generic music is what sells today. And they don't want to promote these bands because they stand to lose money from it.

Therefore, I'm not saying that people in the 60's were inherently better at making music than 00's musicians (though the LSD really helped). I'm saying that the music industry was much more free back then, and good bands got promoted because they were good, not because it will make some CEO richer.

However, I will say this: I think that most musicians today are heavily influenced by the **** rock that's on the market right now, whether they like it or not. And that's why there are so few good bands. That's why, to me (an avid guitar player), it's pretty much the LEAST exciting time to be a musician; if I actually wanted to make it as a musician, I'd pretty much be forced to put out **** rock so I can pay my bills. People don't really seem to look for creativity in music any more; they just want to listen to some douche with dark, girly hair complain about his life.
That's a very negative outlook on music today...

Music is thriving and well my friend, doesn't matter if you know it or not. your saying that because main stream music sucks, all music sucks right now... the uber popular bands that sell millions of records and make millions of dollars you are referring too make up roughly .07% of all the music that is being made today(approximately). There are sooooo many bands out there right now its ridiculous.

Instruments are more available then ever before. Music is so available these days, kids can listen 24/7 from the moment they can work an IPod (that their parents probably got them when they were 6 spoiled ****s these days). Kids can be in serious bands with serious skills as early as 16 - 17. Young eclectic musicians listen to all this music from the 60's - 70's - 80's ect.. and absorb it.

Any really talented musicians these days that is capable of writing genuine, creative, great music is not going to be listening exclusively to top 10 radio... To appeal to the masses, then yes, i agree, you will need to make produced, catchy, and well..... "dumbed down" music. Well there are a lot of people alive who just don't care about music all that much, they have better things to do and music is more of a, "driving in a silent car is boring and weird" type of relationship. They need something they don't have to think about all that much, maybe remember the chorus and move on. That is a unfortunate, but a very large part of the music industry's target market.

As i said before the top 10 on the radio may make up for a very large part of the revenue for the music industry. For every one of those bands there are 10,000 more trying their hardest to make something worth listening to. Some of these bands are REALLY good, and that is the music i'm talking about; there are far to many amazing bands to count.

My point in all this is that there is amazing music everywhere, it may not be right in front of your face; you have to look for it, but its there. Musicians these days are influenced by all the music of the past. Some top 10 music is sickening, but lots of people suck and need something to listen to. The availability, portability, and popularity of music in general is creating a breeding ground for some of the best, worst and strangest music ever. As an active musician(been in 5 bands, played close 50 - 60 shows over the past 5 years) I am absolutely thrilled that I am alive right now.

By far my longest post ever, i love music and i enjoy talking about it. <3 <3

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
That's awesome. I'm not going to go through the last 4 pages or so to find out what you do, but what instruments do you guys play?

I play the cello.

also, if there are any, you should post youtube vids of you playing <3, and then we can add them to the introductions. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom