• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch Match-up Export Thread Directory

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
i think it's 65/35. matchup is just too hard. it's very very difficult to get inside, and once you do, you get blown up anyway.

marth i still think is only 6/4 but i guess i haven't played very many marths. it's gotta be easier than snake though since you don't have to worry about blowing up all the time and there aren't grenades to **** with your spacing. still difficult to space against, but not as difficult imo.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
both are hard to approach but snake you have to be more careful because of his uptilts and such
marth has forward smash which can also kill early but isn't as bad as snake's Utilt IMO

hmm overall i change my rating
i feel its snake: 40:60
marth:40:60 as well

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Yeah, GW vs Snake is terrible for GW. You should probably ban it.

35/65 for those really grenade campy Snakes. 4/6 for normal ones.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
in other words,stages with ledges huh?
coming up with Nair or uair helps alot

Uair his grenades are fun lol

edit: actually i see that campy snakes shield alot,at least from my experience
you can always risk it and goes for a grab,instead of attacking
and hope he shields lol

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Snake is 65:35 in his favor on Final D.

On other neutrals, I'd say 40:60 Snake. Lylat and BF are your best neutrals against him.
Lylat yes. Battlefield, no. Snake is excellent there. Your best asset is nair through the platforms and some up B combos, but he has utilt through the platforms, C4 on the platforms, boost smash covering the entire stage, and grenades having an explosion radius that covers an entire platform + most of the area under it.

Nicole

Smash Champion
65:35 snake, imo...not much you can do against him really, especially a campy one (and most of them are). it's lucky that GW is good at killing, or this matchup would be much worse. seems like you're always taking damage against snake, and he can take ALOT more than you.

K@0S

Smash Ace
Lylat yes. Battlefield, no. Snake is excellent there. Your best asset is nair through the platforms and some up B combos, but he has utilt through the platforms, C4 on the platforms, boost smash covering the entire stage, and grenades having an explosion radius that covers an entire platform + most of the area under it.
But Battlefield is still better for g&w than FD or SV. At least you can work better with fake approaches using platforms and such (because you have to play soooo patiently, so I personally often "spam" ff airdodges waiting for an opportunity), then camping with nair and uair when Snake is above. Smashes are also a lot easier to land.

I would say somewhere between 35/65 and 40/60, depending on the stage. I counter with DDD if possible.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
65:35 for me. On FD 70:30.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just saying, I just saw LeePuff state that he thinks Marth is G&W's worst matchup.

Back on topic, Snake...It's no worse than 6/4 IMO. Maybe on FD, but most other stages, nah...

I find that grenade camping IS NOT the reason at all why Snake wins this matchup. Seriously...why is everyone so obsessive over them? As long as you don't want to get hit by them, you won't. And the way you get past them is very simple as long as you know spacing. Either B-air his shield (or punish his tilts), or grab him, depending on whether he chooses to actually grenade shield or not. Don't give me any crap that G&W's throws are too slow to work before a grenade explodes, because that statement is complete nonsense. I've literally stood waiting an entire second in matches before grabbing some Snakes and I could still easily throw them before their grenades exploded.

The only reason why Snake wins this matchup is simply because he doesn't need to work as hard to deal the damage necessary to KO. Snake is a rare character that does more damage per hit than G&W, and can KO at pretty low percents too. He basically has a huge raw stats advantage blow per blow, and he can viably take the route of trading hits due to having enough range and of course raw power to do that. In a match of trading hits, G&W loses here plain and simple.

Instead of worrying about Snake's grenades, I'd rather focus on developing strategies to stay safe from his tilts, and his other stuff that can KO you at obscenely low percents if you fall into it. If G&W could stay consistently safe from those attacks (which he isn't quite able to), this matchup would EASILY be in G&W's favor FACTORING IN GRENADE CAMPING.

But seriously, the way I look at it, if you ask the question who will land the first hit in this matchup, really...it isn't guaranteed to be Snake. He doesn't exactly have the tools to perfectly defend against G&W. G&W has viable approaches on him.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
AZ, out of curiosity what snakes have you played? In person, not wifi.

K@0S

Smash Ace
Grenade camping is what makes Snake so difficult to approach and it's what obliges you to play very patiently.. It's the biggest threat in his arsenal and it's what you have to avoid the entiere match. Bair on shield when Snake landed a nade works if well spaced and if Snake didn't moove, but a smart one will catch it fast and will roll/walk away and shield.

I think the beginning of the match is the most important part. If you take the lead, you are not obliged to approach Snake which makes the match easier. If Snake takes the lead, you have to face the wall of nades. Be patient and try to punish little mistakes, do not take unnecessary risks because with a few tilts you are at KO %. Once he is in the air, juggle and try to predict his b-reversal which reverse his momentum, and when you nair, if he uses a nade you will both take damages but if you don't have a good lead you should be more careful and perhaps use uair more.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
grenades is the main reason why approaching him is so hard
without nades,the match up would be totally different
as K@0s said it's best to get him in the air,and just take as much damage as possible
for stages like FD,it's pretty hard to catch up if you're behind
battlefield,use the ledges,use them well

OkinawaOldSchool

Smash Cadet
I'm going to throw my vote for 65:35~
With not stating reasons, because I would merely just be re-stating what has already been said here.
Grenades, Damage from Tilts, Staying away from Utilt~ Everything.

Banning FD against Snake is the smartest move you could ever make, truth there.

Max Ketchum

Grenade camping is what makes Snake so difficult to approach and it's what obliges you to play very patiently..
Not only does it make him hard to approach, but they also FORCE you to approach or take noteworthy shield damage or 13%. Let's not forget the ridiculous hitboxes on those things.

A2Z, I don't see how you can think that the grenades aren't dangerous...we've made it completely clear. If it has to come down to a money match, I'd gladly do one with you and demonstrate how awful the match is, and why grenades certainly are a huge part, if not the main part, of why that is.

Also, just because Lee Puff feels that Marth is worse doesn't mean it's something that applies to everyone. Different styles lead to different matchup ratios, but the aim here isn't to cater to everyone's personal playstyle. We're aiming for a general consensus and standard ratio. Obviously it can fluctuate depending on the player. Plus, who said Lee Puff is the standing authority on G&W's matchups? In my opinion, OBM is the best G&W, followed by Hylian and UTD Zac, so if anything, their opinions should hold the most weight (though I'd imagine OBM is a little biased in this case considering he has LOTS of practice against Snakes).

Back to the matter at hand, here's my overview of the matchup.

Snake:

+Pros
  • Kills much earlier with much easier-to-land kill moves
  • Lives much longer
  • Doesn't have to approach
  • Has better and safer approach options
  • Ftilt and utilt outspeed all your ground attacks (4 and 6 frames, respectively)
  • Ftilt outprioritizes or clashes with all your ground attacks
  • Ftilt is almost completely unpunishable on block
  • Dthrow tech chase game is incredibly effective due to the poor nature of G&W's getup options
  • Tilts out of shield are fast enough to punish landing lag from fair/dair/bair
  • Utilt trades with dair and beats it from behind G&W
  • Shield + grenades shuts out aerial pressure if misspaced
  • Extremely damaging ftilt that comes out ridiculously fast, leaving none of your attacks safe on block

-Cons
  • Recovery is predictable and not very safe
  • Easy to combo and juggle due to lack of safe landing options and heavy weight
  • Puts own shield at risk with grenades
  • Mortar sliding is easily punished by bair/dtilt

Game and Watch:

+Pros
  • Effective comboing with nair and uair
  • Much safer recovery that auto-sweetspots
  • Good shield pressure with perfectly spaced bairs
  • Great escape option with up B
  • Good, fast spacing with dtilt
  • Dtilt and bair are great for stopping mortar slides

-Cons
  • Dies very, very early (80% to C4, ~90% to utilt, ~110% to jab combo)
  • Kills much later with less safe moves
  • Is forced to approach
  • Gets ***** by ftilt on the ground and utilt in the air
  • Gets ***** by dthrow techchasing

RATIO-- 35:65

I think it's time to move on. Diddy or Marth next?

Noa.

Smash Master
I think it's time to move on. Diddy or Marth next?
Actually, if I'm correct, we've already discussed both of them. We should move on to Dedede I think.

Also, OBM hasn't updated the first post with the rediscussions. and btw, the character images look very cool and stylish.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not that it matters, but it's actually something like LeePuff/OBM > OBM/LeePuff > Zac > Hylian.

And yeah we've discussed Diddy, Marth, and MK I think already. Next should be like Wario or something, I've been dying to get back on that one.

Max Ketchum

Really DMG? Alright, I'll take your word for it, lol. You probably know more about Lee than I do.

I missed the Marth shenanigans since I only came in here on MK and a tiny bit on Diddy. I didn't know if the Diddy discussion counted as a full one, since most of the time we were busy disputing Snake with A2Z... Wario seems like a good option for next, and I'm sure you know a lot about the matchup. I have nothing to offer against Wario though, other than the fact that bair and nair are great in that match. XD

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
alright i will go ahead and change the matchup ratio, most people seem to think that snake is 35/65.

also, im only going to change the matchup summaries if there is something that is either outdated or simply wrong with them. and if there is i would prefer you guys call it to my attention.

moving on, wario and then olimar. followed by lucario me thinks

Vinnie

Smash Master
I like the wario matchup the way it is =/

Hard to CP against him though. He always finds ways to do good on different types of stages, and you can't rainbow cruise him since it's known to be good for wario too.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Not that it matters, but it's actually something like LeePuff/OBM > OBM/LeePuff > Zac > Hylian.

And yeah we've discussed Diddy, Marth, and MK I think already. Next should be like Wario or something, I've been dying to get back on that one.
How could you possibly judge LeePuff/OBM's skill without playing them? lol.

Also, I think Zac has only placed higher then me in one tournament that we both entered. Ever. I personally think that right now I am just as good as OBM(with my recent improvements) and I still think that LeePuff is probably the best, though I won't say it till I go to a tournament with him. I also won't compare myself to Zac, because I haven't played him recently.

Either way, it bugs me when people say things like that as fact when it's obviously just opinion. None of us are good enough to warrant easy recognition over the others(like...comparing M2K to anyone) so lets just not worry about who's the best and let results speak for themselves :p.

On to Wario to keep this on topic:

I think this match-up is either 55-45 GW or 50-50. Very close, wario can get grabs off pretty easily on GW, farts sucks, wario's hard to kill, GW's nair is very useful, bair will get you killed, charged usmash is amazing, up-b OOS actually hurts sometimes in this match-up, warios usually fthrow you, umm...anything else? >_>.

Max Ketchum

How will bair get you killed? <_< If you full jump it so you don't get yourself fsmashed, then it outranges all of his aerials (by FAR, lol) and should be pretty effective... I do think fighting Wario on the ground would be extremely tough though. All you really have on him there is dtilt, which is easily fsmashed away. How is up B out of shield detrimental to G&W in this match? Difficulty landing?

Uair + fart = auto death, lol. Not exactly practical, but it's still there.

Watch out for Wario's ff uairs behind your shield. His recovery pattern should be rather simple, so try to follow that.

Other than that, I know pretty much nothing about this match. I've never done it, and what I'm stating is purely theory (but it seems pretty logical).

Hylian, I'm sorry if I offended you with what I said about my opinions of the skill levels of the G&W players. I think I clearly noted that it was my opinion, though, and if I didn't then my apologies. Regarding you and OBM, I was just basing that off of CoT4, which is the last I saw you both play. I can understand that you've made recent improvements.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
How could you possibly judge LeePuff/OBM's skill without playing them? lol.
Because I am DMG, I understand how good people are lol.

Besides, LeePuff is ranked 4th for SoCal I believe, Socal has a lot of really good people. It's hard to not be good when you are ranked right under Fiction and right above TKD.

Also, I think Zac has only placed higher then me in one tournament that we both entered. Ever. I personally think that right now I am just as good as OBM(with my recent improvements) and I still think that LeePuff is probably the best, though I won't say it till I go to a tournament with him. I also won't compare myself to Zac, because I haven't played him recently.

Either way, it bugs me when people say things like that as fact when it's obviously just opinion. None of us are good enough to warrant easy recognition over the others(like...comparing M2K to anyone) so lets just not worry about who's the best and let results speak for themselves :p.
He did good at No Koast and he always does good in teams, and you gotta remember you guys don't enter into the same tournaments much. That and your brackets are not always of comparable difficulty.

And yeah it's opinion, your opinion is that you are close to OBM, my and a few others opinions are that Zac and I are higher than you. You can look at just results, but I'd rather look at who beats who and what the community/peers say. But anyways, onwards.

On to Wario to keep this on topic:

I think this match-up is either 55-45 GW or 50-50. Very close, wario can get grabs off pretty easily on GW, farts sucks, wario's hard to kill, GW's nair is very useful, bair will get you killed, charged usmash is amazing, up-b OOS actually hurts sometimes in this match-up, warios usually fthrow you, umm...anything else? >_>.
I think it's 45:55 Wario's Favor. Maybe 40:60 or more if you give him a ridiculous stage that he can run on lol. Worst stage would be like Corneria if it's allowed/not banned by Wario, followed by something like YI/Strange Counter Pick, possibly Frigate.

Edit: Doom he was referring to my claim that Zac is above him. Hylian's improved but most of Texas thinks Zac and I are above him. He doesn't have to agree with us, just stating that not everyone agrees that he is like close to OBM or clearly the best G&W in Texas.

Chuee

Smash Hero
lol hylian

As for Wario.
He farts, he bites, and he claps. His aerial control is too good also.
Wario's good on RC too so you can't expect to dominate him on RC.
Oh and one more thing, dont let him bite you offstage. Wario+1 stock ahead+Wariocide= gay.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

Besides, LeePuff is ranked 4th for SoCal I believe, Socal has a lot of really good people. It's hard to not be good when you are ranked right under Fiction and right above TKD.

He did good at No Koast and he always does good in teams, and you gotta remember you guys don't enter into the same tournaments much. That and your brackets are not always of comparable difficulty.

And yeah it's opinion, your opinion is that you are close to OBM, my and a few others opinions are that Zac and I are higher than you. You can look at just results, but I'd rather look at who beats who and what the community/peers say. But anyways, onwards.

I think it's 45:55 Wario's Favor. Maybe 40:60 or more if you give him a ridiculous stage that he can run on lol. Worst stage would be like Corneria if it's allowed/not banned by Wario, followed by something like YI/Strange Counter Pick, possibly Frigate.

Edit: Doom he was referring to my claim that Zac is above him. Hylian's improved but most of Texas thinks Zac and I are above him. He doesn't have to agree with us, just stating that not everyone agrees that he is like close to OBM or clearly the best G&W in Texas.

I'm not even saying I'm the best GW in texas lol I'm saying that it doesn't matter, and we should just try to help each other improve rather the bash each other online. When I say let results speak for themselves, I mean that tournament time is when getting super competitive matters, not when we are sitting home on our computers lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm not even saying I'm the best GW in texas lol I'm saying that it doesn't matter, and we should just try to help each other improve rather the bash each other online. When I say let results speak for themselves, I mean that tournament time is when getting super competitive matters, not when we are sitting home on our computers lol.
I'm not bashing you bro, I just mean people have this common perception that you are the best/only good G&W in Texas without realizing that we do have a few other people trying for that spot because they recognize you so fast but don't recognize/know that Zac or I play as him lol. It's all good, I'll get you a 12 pack of Dr Pepper. <3

Now, about Wario...

Don't pick stages with Walls. We have an infinite involving his tire against the wall surprisingly so you can have that advantage turned against you (I do not think you can SDI out of it, nor does the knockback increase at all).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
DMG, you should know from this weekend that you CAN SDI the wheels (remember that weirdass glitch-looking thing when I hit you with it?), so I'm pretty sure you can get out of it.

Bair doesn't get you killed b/c we sit on the ground, it gets you killed b/c we'll jump straight into it, SDI above you and waft or clap.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

It's cool, it's annoying to me how everyone knows me and overrates me lol but not any of the other texas players :(.

And yeah, if you bair straight into wario, they SDI up and waft you LOL it sucks :(.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DMG, you should know from this weekend that you CAN SDI the wheels (remember that weirdass glitch-looking thing when I hit you with it?), so I'm pretty sure you can get out of it.

Bair doesn't get you killed b/c we sit on the ground, it gets you killed b/c we'll jump straight into it, SDI above you and waft or clap.
No I mean like with other characters you SDI several times in a row to get out because the attacks hit so fast, like Marth's Dtilt or MK's Dtilt. The tire hits people really slow lol, it stuns them for awhile and it takes a bit to throw.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
AZ, out of curiosity what snakes have you played? In person, not wifi.
Race and InsomniaK. InsomniaK clearly being the better of the two. There is probably some random guy at tournament I played in friendlies whose name I no longer remember, but I've played this matchup offline.

InsomniaK as you know mains G&W and ZSS, but I've played him in various friendlies. He doesn't think Snake is G&W's worst matchup either, since he's actually played people like Hall and DSF and done well against them. He's one of the best players on the WC (actually ranking on the panel).

Not only does it make him hard to approach, but they also FORCE you to approach or take noteworthy shield damage or 13%. Let's not forget the ridiculous hitboxes on those things.
Firstoff, grenades don't do that much damage to your shield. If they did significant shield damage, Snake would be more cautious of his option of grenade shielding.

Taking 13% is irrelevant when they are easy to avoid anyway.

Nextoff, forcing the approach is pretty irrelevant when 95% of the time G&W has to approach in some way in his matchups. Grenades aren't the best thing for forcing G&W to approach. They only limit his approach. They don't stop him from approaching though.

A2Z, I don't see how you can think that the grenades aren't dangerous...we've made it completely clear. If it has to come down to a money match, I'd gladly do one with you and demonstrate how awful the match is, and why grenades certainly are a huge part, if not the main part, of why that is.
Grenades only slow down the match. Watch Valdens against DSF. He waits out DSF before making approaches and does very well against him.

Yeah, you'll get in a random explosion on the G&W who accidentally makes a spacing mistake onto a grenade shield, but he's otherwise pretty safe from Snake since Snake doesn't follow up that easily. As long as the G&W is patient...he can wait until you're not grenade shielding, or just run up and go for a grab.

Also, just because Lee Puff feels that Marth is worse doesn't mean it's something that applies to everyone. Different styles lead to different matchup ratios, but the aim here isn't to cater to everyone's personal playstyle. We're aiming for a general consensus and standard ratio. Obviously it can fluctuate depending on the player. Plus, who said Lee Puff is the standing authority on G&W's matchups? In my opinion, OBM is the best G&W, followed by Hylian and UTD Zac, so if anything, their opinions should hold the most weight (though I'd imagine OBM is a little biased in this case considering he has LOTS of practice against Snakes).
Hylian said a while ago that LeePuff was easily better than him. Just saying.

+Pros

* Kills much earlier with much easier-to-land kill moves
* Lives much longer
* Doesn't have to approach
* Has better and safer approach options False, Snake should not approach in this matchup 95% of the time due to G&W's F-smash alone.
* Ftilt and utilt outspeed all your ground attacks (4 and 6 frames, respectively) U-tilt at 6 frames is slower than G&W. It has a lot of range, but it's not faster than G&W.
* Ftilt outprioritizes or clashes with all your ground attacks Actually, I WANT to clash with your F-tilt if I whiff a ground move. This means I get to shield before you do anything else.
* Ftilt is almost completely unpunishable on block Again, this is false. F-tilt can be easily punished out of shield. Snake has to literally space it at the VERY tip for it to be safe on block. And it has to be fresh (extra shieldstun)
* Dthrow tech chase game is incredibly effective due to the poor nature of G&W's getup options
* Tilts out of shield are fast enough to punish landing lag from fair/dair/bair
* Utilt trades with dair and beats it from behind G&W
* Shield + grenades shuts out aerial pressure if misspaced Don't be dumb about it, because Snake can't attack while holding an item. This leaves you open to be grabbed.
* Extremely damaging ftilt that comes out ridiculously fast, leaving none of your attacks safe on block
I agree G&W can't easily stay safe on block against Snake's tilts. THIS is the reason why Snake beats him by far. Every time G&W doesn't shield poke Snake and if he didn't space safely enough, he eats a F-tilt.

Grenades....they make things lamer and slower. But the solution around them isn't very complicated if you're simply patient. What consistently gives G&W more problems is just the fact he can't stay safe from Snake's key damagers and killers and he doesn't do enough damage per hit nor does he KO early enough to compensate for this.

Grenades are nowhere near the level of Marth or MK's Up-B out of shield.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think the matchup is even, to be honest... except on Corneria, lol. It's hard to land kill moves on Wario b/c of his huge aerial control and the slowness of GW's kill moves (unless you hit him with your invincible fish helmet b/c they got unpredictable or uncareful). I reached like 240% (or something equally ridiculous) on FD against Hylian in a friendly just last week, lol.

jiggly_owns_u

Smash Cadet
I'd like to take this time to alert you people the that G&W has a pretty decent grab release on Wario.

It allows you to do any of your aerials u desire on him.

Furthermore this also gives you a free, yes free, upsmash on wario which could solve the "he's too hard to kill" problem with some of you.

Test it out for yourselves. I'll finish my post by saying that i have lots of wario experience and i think this matchup is 55:45 GaW

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'd like to take this time to alert you people the that G&W has a pretty decent grab release on Wario.

It allows you to do any of your aerials u desire on him.

Furthermore this also gives you a free, yes free, upsmash on wario which could solve the "he's too hard to kill" problem with some of you.

Test it out for yourselves. I'll finish my post by saying that i have lots of wario experience and i think this matchup is 55:45 GaW
Uh, GW's grab release doesn't work on wario..he's too short. It only works when they are dangling over the edge.

Top Bottom