• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch Match-up Export Thread Directory

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think we've beaten the MK matchup to death.

Vs Diddy, how G&W should play it:

Shield the Bananas a lot, catch them. Throw them upwards or hold them if you don't have anything better to do. Focus on juggling Diddy and edgeguarding him if possible. Counterpick RC.

If Snake fully spaces F-tilt, I can GTFO with a jump out of shield and he doesn't really have anything else that can easily reach G&W after that (and no, mortar slide DOESN'T easily punish this). If he doesn't space it fully, he eats a B-air. One of the things I do to Snake sometimes is run up, and powershieldgrab his F-tilt.

Grenades and C4. Just avoid them. Edgecamp if you need to. They can't touch you if you're patient. D-air is pretty horrible most of the time for Snake and can be SDIed.

Seriously, you're not really threatening G&W if he's just chillin'. He camps all of your approaches pretty safely moreover. He can throw out F-smash pretty indiscriminately and not get punished (it clanks with the tilts safely, and beats the Mortar Slide 9 times out of 10).

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
What's stopping Snake from just throwing a grenade after you jump away after an ftilt? You really don't think you're gonna be forced to approach? Snake outcamps G&W quite heavily. Bacon isn't exactly threatening.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Firstoff, tell me HOW exactly Snake is throwing a grenade IMMEDIATELY after he F-tilts. No seriously...it just doesn't work in the time frame in which I can get away with a jump.

And next, I really don't think Snake outcamps G&W heavily, well, as in it doesn't stop G&W from approaching nearly as well as other camping does (like Marth's shieldcamping). The only thing is that G&W gets punished severely sometimes for making a mistake. But really, the way G&W can get past Snake's camping is very simple as long as he's patient. Grab Snake if he choses to grenade shield. B-air and punish him if he does anything else that wasn't executed 100% perfectly. Throw out random F-smashes to discourage Snake from mortar sliding.

Now getting around Marth's camping is another story....

Max Ketchum

If you're jumping away from him out of shield, there's plenty of a window for him to grab a grenade...

It's not supposed to stop G&W from approaching. It's supposed to force him to approach or eat 13%. Up close, Snake can just ftilt again (unless that gets powershielded), grab and dthrow techchase for lots of damage (G&W's slow rolling options make this pretty easy), or drop a grenade/C4 and run to the other side of the stage if he wants. Also how the hell is bairing Snake's shield WITH A GRENADE RIGHT BEHIND HIM a very good idea? The explosion radius on them is much larger than you think, so you'll probably get hit if you don't space it 100% perfect. Even if it is spaced properly, you'll just get ftilted out of shield.

A smart Snake isn't going to mortar slide right into you if he notices you throwing fsmashes out... He has no reason to approach you in this matchup, whereas G&W NEEDS to approach. Let's also not forget that your stocks last about a third as long as his...utilt kills at like 94%. His bair is also wildly powerful, and will probably kill at similar percents. It's much easier for him to land a kill move than it is for you. Pretty awful matchup, one that really doesn't need much of a rediscussion (except a ratio change). Let's move on to Diddy, we're being rather counter-productive here.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you're jumping away from him out of shield, there's plenty of a window for him to grab a grenade...
Why would you though? It's smarter to leave it in front of you to trap G&W if he actually wants to approach from there. If you try to throw it at him he's more likely to not get hit by that....

It's not supposed to stop G&W from approaching. It's supposed to force him to approach or eat 13%. Up close, Snake can just ftilt again (unless that gets powershielded), grab and dthrow techchase for lots of damage (G&W's slow rolling options make this pretty easy), or drop a grenade/C4 and run to the other side of the stage if he wants. Also how the hell is bairing Snake's shield WITH A GRENADE RIGHT BEHIND HIM a very good idea? The explosion radius on them is much larger than you think, so you'll probably get hit if you don't space it 100% perfect. Even if it is spaced properly, you'll just get ftilted out of shield.
The problem with Snake's F-tilt up close is it isn't safe on block unless he spaced it at maximum range.

Yeah, getting a grab is pretty lame on G&W. Then again, it's not necessarily easy if he knows how to space. You're more likely to just F-tilt or U-tilt out of shield for him not spacing optimally. I'm pretty sure though that the B-air can be spaced outside of the range of Snake's tilts. Plus...if you're not grenade shielding, regardless who you are, you DO have to consider the B-air's ability to shield poke. Snake's shield is also susceptible to his own pressure from grenades so his shield usually shouldn't be 100% full. Fullhop aerials just saying are pretty safe on Snake's shield since they put G&W a good distance above Snake's U-tilt range.

A smart Snake isn't going to mortar slide right into you if he notices you throwing fsmashes out... He has no reason to approach you in this matchup, whereas G&W NEEDS to approach. Let's also not forget that your stocks last about a third as long as his...utilt kills at like 94%. His bair is also wildly powerful, and will probably kill at similar percents. It's much easier for him to land a kill move than it is for you. Pretty awful matchup, one that really doesn't need much of a rediscussion (except a ratio change). Let's move on to Diddy, we're being rather counter-productive here.
The thing is though, Snake has to keep moving away from G&W for his camping to be safe. Unless he gets a lucky mortar slide in, he's going to have trouble playing this retreating game and eventually G&W's B-air starts becoming a safe attack when the multiple hits are used to push someone who is shielding off the edge.

Personally me, I think it's just as easy to land G&W's F-air as it is to land Snake's U-tilt. Kills most people at around 110%, probably around 125% for Snake give or take some depending on position. When Snake is recovering, avoiding G&W's Smashes and aerials (not to mention Judgement) is actually an issue. If G&W reads any move correctly, he can usually get a Smash on Snake which kills at like 90%.

Really seriously, the matchup isn't THAT bad for G&W. It's just a huge chore since G&W has to work more carefully due to Snake having more weight and raw power. In terms of options, G&W has enough to put things in his favor against Snake if he plays smart.

It is definitely a very difficult matchup for G&W...I don't think however Snake has enough to consistently shut down G&W to warrant the matchup being any worse than 6/4 though.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i guess m2k is very fickle then. this was maybe a few months ago after he played a few rounds vs vex in a tournament, he said something about gw being able to beat all of mk's edgeguards, and that the match went pretty much even. i guess its not really silly to see that he changed his mind.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
*shrug* I have one question.

How good is landing behind Metaknight with N-air? I was watching teh_spammerer in one of those rare matches where he used G&W. I noticed he did that a lot vs Metaknight and then grabbed or Jabbed.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
actually...that really sounds like a good idea as a mindgame. most MK's would shield that nair letting you grab>dsmash the MK. if he eats it then go right into a dsmash or jab>grab.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
A2Z... I doubt you've played a really good Snake since you last started talking about this matchup... You really need to understand that this matchup sounds ALOT better in theory for game and watch because he does have feasible options, but he still gets owned pretty hard by smart snakes.

Why would you though? It's smarter to leave it in front of you to trap G&W if he actually wants to approach from there. If you try to throw it at him he's more likely to not get hit by that....

The problem with Snake's F-tilt up close is it isn't safe on block unless he spaced it at maximum range.
Ftilt is VERY safe against game and watch! What are you talking about? If you don't power shield it, how are you going to punish it? Okay, let's look at a few options.
Snake uses the first part of ftilt and hits gdubs shield. Gdubs can dtilt, shfair, fhfair, running attack, shbair. If Snake just uses the second part of his ftilt, he will beat ALL of these options except running attack, which will just clank, but will leave gdubs right next to snake, which isn't a good spot to be in. Or, he can wait a few extra frames, and throw out the first part of ftilt again, and gdubs will be in the same position (but now with less shield). Or if the Snake is at very high %s, he probably will just shield, and if he sees you try to bair he'll run away or mortar slide or something.
Not to mention... Snake will probably be using ftilt alot to PUNISH, not just to toss it out. If he's just tossing out an attack, he'll just jab instead, which is even harder to punish. And if he lands with the jab, the ftilt will come next, and there goes 1/3 gdubs stock.

Yeah, getting a grab is pretty lame on G&W. Then again, it's not necessarily easy if he knows how to space. You're more likely to just F-tilt or U-tilt out of shield for him not spacing optimally.
I'm assuming you are saying is Snake more likely to ftilt or utilt oos? While those options are viable, Snakes grab is very good, especially because gdubs (and others) have to shield alot because they fear the wrath of the tilts. Snake will get ALOT of grabs off against gdubs.

I'm pretty sure though that the B-air can be spaced outside of the range of Snake's tilts. Plus...if you're not grenade shielding, regardless who you are, you DO have to consider the B-air's ability to shield poke. Snake's shield is also susceptible to his own pressure from grenades so his shield usually shouldn't be 100% full.
Well, this is true. However, spacing correctly against Snake is harder than it sounds. He can pull out grenades on something stupid like frame 2, so even if it looks bleak, he'll just pull out a nade. And even if he can't shield it, if both of you get hit by a nade, this is a good thing for Snake... Seriously, if Snake is using grenades well and not staying in the same spot/being predictable, it's not easy to get a well spaced bair in. And even if you DO, great, 7 or 8% damage or something? Maybe even 10? Great, you've still got a long way to go before killing snake.

Fullhop aerials just saying are pretty safe on Snake's shield since they put G&W a good distance above Snake's U-tilt range.
Yup. unless he's shielding a nade.

The thing is though, Snake has to keep moving away from G&W for his camping to be safe. Unless he gets a lucky mortar slide in, he's going to have trouble playing this retreating game and eventually G&W's B-air starts becoming a safe attack when the multiple hits are used to push someone who is shielding off the edge.
Snake doesn't have to much trouble playing the retreating game against gdubs. Trust me. With a correct use of nades, and gdubs poor aerial movement speed, it's hard for gdubs to space correctly. Snake controls the stage, not gdubs.

Personally me, I think it's just as easy to land G&W's F-air as it is to land Snake's U-tilt. Kills most people at around 110%, probably around 125% for Snake give or take some depending on position.
Okay, this is where classic A2Z syndrome starts seeping in. G&W fair as easy to land as Snake's Utilt? You're rediculous, I'm not going to even argue that one. Gdubs fair does NOT kill Snake at 125%... Snake can DI, and this won't kill him, unless he's real near a blast zone. Not to mention, your fair probably will be somewhat stale...

When Snake is recovering, avoiding G&W's Smashes and aerials (not to mention Judgement) is actually an issue. If G&W reads any move correctly, he can usually get a Smash on Snake which kills at like 90%.
Yes, if Snake is in the air, he will have a hard time avoiding gdubs. However Snake still has alot of choices. He can Nair (punishable, but still can pose problems). He can up b if he needs more space to work. He can pull nades out if he's high enough, (or even forward b), and there will be some additional explosives to avoid. He can also pivot (this is the kicker), which makes it MUCH MUCH harder to kill Snake on the way down. Also, he can also just pull out a nade if he's in danger of being juggled, because you'll both get hit by the nade, and as usual, this is bad for gdubs.
If gdubs reads any move correctly, he CAN get a smash, but not USUALLY. If gdubs predicts an airdodge and is below him, yes he can get an usmash. (But this isn't easy! Snakes will pivot!) And this usmash won't kill at 90 unless the Snake can't DI or the ceiling is low, or you're on a platform or something. If you Powershield a falling bair, I believe you can get a fsmash(won't kill Snake until 120ish probably) or dsmash, but if you just regularly shield it, only dsmash (usually sourspotted), and that won't kill until like 140. Yes, landing smashes on Snake is feasible... But it's not as easy as you make it sound!

Really seriously, the matchup isn't THAT bad for G&W.
Yeah, it's pretty bad.
It's just a huge chore since G&W has to work more carefully due to Snake having more weight and raw power. In terms of options, G&W has enough to put things in his favor against Snake if he plays smart.
No, it's not just a chore. Gdubs will have to consistently outplay his opponent, and make practically no mistakes.

It is definitely a very difficult matchup for G&W...I don't think however Snake has enough to consistently shut down G&W to warrant the matchup being any worse than 6/4 though.
Snake has plenty of things that shutdown Gdubs. Perhaps he can't shutdown everything gdubs has, but the important thing to realize is that if Snake just punishes gdubs a few time, gdubs is probably getting owned. He doesn't need to consistently shut down gdubs, just shut him down like 1 out of 4 gdubs approaches.

Let's discuss Diddy now. I don't know the matchup, and I'm curious what people have to say.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Btw, I decided to point out the currently list matchup percentages that I think are wrong, so we have a better idea of which matchups may need work.
Metaknight - 40/60
Snake - 40/60
Marth - 40/60
(yeah I still think these are all 35/65, but who knows)

ZSS - 55/45 (I think this is even, or perhaps in Zss favor O.o)

Wario - 55/45
Olimar - 60/40
(I think these are both even)

King DDD - 60/40 (probably closer to 55/45, this isn't that bad of a matchup for d3)
Wolf -60/40 (probably closer to 55/45, not sure though)

Rob - 65/35 (not that bad for ROB, 6/4 probably)
Fox - 65/35 (I don't think it's this bad for fox)
Pikachu - 65/35

Lucario - 65/35 (Way off! Probably closer to even)

Luigi - 70/30
Zelda - 70/30
Ness - 70/30
Lucas 75/25
Captain Falcon 80/20
Jigglypuff 80/20

Alright the rest of these are probably too extreme. 70/30 means the character straight up gets owned. Luigi doesn't get owned that hard. I don't know zelda/ness/lucas matchups very well, but I doubt they are this bad. And falcon and jiggly get owned, but they are probably 70/30 not 80/20.

A few matchups I don't know very well, so I didn't mention them.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Sorry to invade your boards, just wanted to put some thoughts down. :)

I'm actually starting to think G&W vs Peach may be 60-40, not 65. It's my new favorite matchup and really not that bad if Peach really has the matchup down; G&W can have a really hard time landing his kill moves. Everywhere I go I seek out every G&W player. I win because I usually know the matchup better than them; it's still clearly in G&W's favor, just not by the margin I once thought.

I sadfaced when Lee Puff didn't make it to BIO2 this weekend cause I really wanted to try my luck with him xD

Though, more than anything, I strongly believe Toon Link to be wrong. I think it's closer the opposite; 6-4 in Toon Link's favor. At the very least, there's no way it's G&W's favor. There's just not a lot of good Toon Links that know the matchup...and not a lot of TL's in general.

Chip has always beaten Valdens, and when the other G&W's insisted it wasn't in TL's favor I just assumed maybe it was a bad Valdens matchup; but this weekend we went to NorCal and Chip crushed every G&W present he faced, three stocking the arguable best one. As my favorite matchup, I 2-0'd every G&W there too (except the one Chip three stocked, he took one match off of me in our first MM), but nowhere near to the degree Chip did.

TLink can shieldgrab all of your smashes, zair and bomb through all of your aerials, and camp the crap out of you. I can't see how it's 60-40 G&W favor...even at WORST if the TL knows the matchup IMO.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I'm actually starting to think G&W vs Peach may be 60-40, not 65. It's my new favorite matchup and really not that bad if Peach really has the matchup down; G&W can have a really hard time landing his kill moves. Everywhere I go I seek out every G&W player. I win because I usually know the matchup better than them; it's still clearly in G&W's favor, just not by the margin I once thought.

I sadfaced when Lee Puff didn't make it to BIO2 this weekend cause I really wanted to try my luck with him xD

Though, more than anything, I strongly believe Toon Link to be wrong. I think it's closer the opposite; 6-4 in Toon Link's favor. At the very least, there's no way it's G&W's favor. There's just not a lot of good Toon Links that know the matchup...and not a lot of TL's in general.

Chip has always beaten Valdens, and when the other G&W's insisted it wasn't in TL's favor I just assumed maybe it was a bad Valdens matchup; but this weekend we went to NorCal and Chip crushed every G&W present he faced, three stocking the arguable best one. As my favorite matchup, I 2-0'd every G&W there too (except the one Chip three stocked, he took one match off of me in our first MM), but nowhere near to the degree Chip did.

TLink can shieldgrab all of your smashes, zair and bomb through all of your aerials, and camp the crap out of you. I can't see how it's 60-40 G&W favor...even at WORST if the TL knows the matchup IMO.
I think GW vs peach is worse then 60-40. Just on personal experience I've never really lost to a peach. I've played Edreese, Niko_K(3-1'ed in a $20 MM), Azen, Slik(I think I played his peach >_>..I did in teams at least) and I haven't lost to any of them >_>...We can get into that match-up later though.

Also, has Chip ever played LeePuff? I know he beats Valdens, but in all the other regions GW players do fine against TL players such as Santi, Quivo, Jash, Lobos...Toon link isn't a very common character so I can't imagine many people knowing how you should approach him with GW...

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Not to get too far off topic, but I played a really good ZSS at NO KOAST last weekend. I didn't have that much trouble against her, even on FD. I played patiently and spaced my bairs. The only problem I see with the matchup not having enough play experience which usually results in getting hit by her SideB too many times (which happened to me). I think it's 55:45 or 6:4 in favor of G&W.

I also think Peach is 6:4. If you take the difficulty of Marth vs. G&W (65:35) and compare it to G&W vs. Peach (65:35) respectively, they are not quite the same. The Peach matchup isn't nearly as easy for G&W to control, space, and win. But the Marth matchup seems much easier for Marth to control, space, and win. If that confuses you, ignore it. I like playing against Peaches, UpB and not landing my bairs makes this matchup easy.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Not to get too far off topic, but I played a really good ZSS at NO KOAST last weekend. I didn't have that much trouble against her, even on FD. I played patiently and spaced my bairs. The only problem I see with the matchup not having enough play experience which usually results in getting hit by her SideB too many times (which happened to me). I think it's 55:45 or 6:4 in favor of G&W.

I also think Peach is 6:4. If you take the difficulty of Marth vs. G&W (65:35) and compare it to G&W vs. Peach (65:35) respectively, they are not quite the same. The Peach matchup isn't nearly as easy for G&W to control, space, and win. But the Marth matchup seems much easier for Marth to control, space, and win. If that confuses you, ignore it. I like playing against Peaches, UpB and not landing my bairs makes this matchup easy.
ZSS is easier on FD than somewhere like BF.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Btw, I decided to point out the currently list matchup percentages that I think are wrong, so we have a better idea of which matchups may need work.
Metaknight - 40/60
Snake - 40/60
Marth - 40/60
(yeah I still think these are all 35/65, but who knows)

That is my opinion on those as well.

ZSS - 55/45 (I think this is even, or perhaps in Zss favor O.o)

Wario - 55/45
Olimar - 60/40
(I think these are both even)

Same.

King DDD - 60/40 (probably closer to 55/45, this isn't that bad of a matchup for d3)
Wolf -60/40 (probably closer to 55/45, not sure though)

Rob - 65/35 (not that bad for ROB, 6/4 probably)
Fox - 65/35 (I don't think it's this bad for fox)
Pikachu - 65/35

Lucario - 65/35 (Way off! Probably closer to even)

Yeah Lucario is closer to 55:45 or so.

Luigi - 70/30
Zelda - 70/30
Ness - 70/30
Lucas 75/25
Captain Falcon 80/20
Jigglypuff 80/20

Yeah some of these are a bit extreme.

Yeah I think this is true too. I played Kos-Mos this weekend with G&W and he was taking me down to last stock high % with Peach. I had to SDI some ridiculous sh** just to live lol, fresh Fair at 120% near the edge without bucket braking lol. I'd like to see Zac or Hylian play him, he's ridiculously good with her.

Actually I do think it is in G&W's favor. G&W can just walk, PS any projectiles/Zair, and Dtilt. He doesn't really have to fight in the air, he can just get away with staying on the ground and walking towards him or even crouching sometimes to avoid stuff. TL also has the issue of trying to land the kill move on G&W.

IDK I think it's either 60:40 or 55:45 for G&W overall considering his CP options.
Added my thoughts in Red.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
ZSS is easier on FD than somewhere like BF.
He counterpicked me to FD after our match on Yoshi Island. I was having more trouble there because of the dang middle platform. I have no clue what it's like on Battlefield.

@Diddy Matchup:

I hate this matchup. I dunno what to think about it. I probably just suck in general with regards to bananas. I played Thiens diddy for like 4hrs straight last weekend and only won our first couple of games. I could also blame the fact we were playing at 5am-9am and we were both tired as crap. Again idk. Glide tossing doesn't help THAT much.
He claims the most annoying thing from G&W is his uair. He said he would get followed and owned by this other G&W that forced air play with uair.

Max Ketchum

G&W vs. Luigi is straight up terrible. Luigi has nothing on bair or dtilt, and jab -> up B isn't guaranteed on G&W. The Lucario matchup is also pretty bad, essentially for the same reasons. 7:3 and 65:35 are fine ratios, respectively.

As Gishnak said, ftilt is VERY safe on G&W... Snake is easily his worst match, followed by Marth and then MK.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
DMG I have played Kos-Mos several times. I don't think his peach has ever taken me to last stock, and the first time I played him I 3 stocked him. He used ZSS against me in tournament because I was beating his peach so badly.

Max Ketchum

I think Peach is pretty easy as well. 6:4 sounds possible, but I think it's more towards 65:35. Nair shuts out all of her options, as does bair. She can't deal with those humongous, long-lasting disjointed hitboxes. Killing her is slightly difficult until about 135, at which point your fair is fair game (lol) for a kill. Luckily, damaging her is pretty easy, and G&W has the advantage from all angles. Counter her dairs with up B out of shield. Nair wins from below and both sides. Fair and bair also win on the sides, and dair beats every option she has from above (except possibly utilt. I'm unsure about that). If you manage to blow her up with uair after her float, her path back to the ground will be very simple and predictable. She has nothing on you offstage except maybe turnips, but they're not incredibly difficult to avoid, or particularly dangerous to begin with.

Peach will always want to be floating above you, pressuring your shield and trying to combo you. If she's on the ground, 95% of the time, she'll be jabbing or grabbing you (or a combination of the two). Dtilt is the best option to outspace her, or just SH retreating bair. Not a very hard match IMO.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lol. Well Hylian, he's gotten super good with her, he might be coming down to HOBO you can play him there.

I'll just ask Lee Martin about Lucario then, I've never seen Lucario as getting ***** by G&W with his ******** roll and fairly good range. Who knows, Lucario could have it as even or possibly as his favor if you play him like Lee does.

As for Diddy:

You have a hard time approaching him anywhere. His Banana's shame your Dtilt and your ground game, and once you go into the air you have to land sometime, and you can bet Diddy will be waiting to peg you when you get there. If you Bair his shield, he can Glide toss OOS and punish your landing lag everytime. Same for Dair. Your best bet is to try and airdodge into him and hope he doesn't shuffle around and toss a banana where you will land. Otherwise there is no feasible way to beat Diddy.

If you get him into the air with Uair, don't let him escape with Side B or by dropping/catching and throwing Banana's at you. Eventually he will get down, probably after a Nair gets him, but he's not gonna be too beaten up from it.

Best bet to kill him is off stage. Not from a glide toss, not on the stage period, but off stage. You can't really edgeguard Diddy that strong, but you can pressure him into having to land on the stage usually. If you can do that multiple times and finish with an Fair, you can kill him alright.

Matchup Average: 6:4

ADHD

Smash Hero
G&W has no safe approaches. Bair on his shield can even be punished XD Diddy has a sure advantage, 60/40 diddy.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W vs. Luigi is straight up terrible. Luigi has nothing on bair or dtilt, and jab -> up B isn't guaranteed on G&W. The Lucario matchup is also pretty bad, essentially for the same reasons. 7:3 and 65:35 are fine ratios, respectively.
Lucario has better camping (his F-smash is a safe move in this matchup if he's smart about using it) and is a little harder for G&W to juggle. But I agree Luigi doesn't stand a chance against a G&W who knows the matchup. I remember another Luigi main saying that the matchup is ridiculously bad simply because Luigi can't get in a kill move on a G&W who insists on spacing B-airs.

As Gishnak said, ftilt is VERY safe on G&W... Snake is easily his worst match, followed by Marth and then MK.
I disagree with this completely. Every time Snake doesn't space his F-tilt 100% perfectly, I always punish it with an aerial out of shield. Or I just plow through it. Snake's Up-tilt, as good of an attack it is, also has similar problems on shields in that if he doesn't space it at maximum range, it's unsafe.

Snake's F-tilt has huge range, but he has to stand somewhere while using it. It doesn't compete safely with G&W's B-air as some of Marth's aerials would. It's for the most part safe to jump into his F-tilt and try to challenge it with a rangey attack, because both hits will never land together if you are hit by the F-tilt from the air. His F-tilt doesn't kill either unless he just died.

The only reason why Snake is horrible for G&W is simply just because G&W needs to work harder to rack up damage to KO Snake than the other way around, but it is NOWHERE NEAR as unreasonably hard to do this on Snake as it is to do on a skilled Marth.

Marth can literally attempt to NOT GET HIT AT ALL. It doesn't work that way for Snake...he can take a larger number of hits, but the fact is he is MUCH easier to actually hit.

In my experience, Snake dies slightly earlier than Marth anyway because of this. You aren't required to stale your F-air on him (while vs Marth, you are because he will be attempting to SDI your B-air to punish it). Marth doesn't suffer from juggle or ledge traps to the same extent Snake does either, so he avoids stuff like G&W's Smashes much more easily if he doesn't do something dumb.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i have to agree with a2, if they don't space the ftilt just right, i ALWAYS get a bair out of it. same applies for the uptilt as well, except i can fair them too.

QUIVO

Smash Master
i haven't played a GAW in tourny in quite a while.. Last time was probably August.. A few random GAW's but I'd two stock them ,and they werent good

Max Ketchum

You can turn around, jump and bair before Snake shields/rolls away/pulls a grenade to make you trade damage? I somehow doubt that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lol.

I've thought we've discussed Snake's Ftilt quite a bit. I'll give a quick rundown of it vs G&W. Most of these are against his shield:

1. First Hit only (meaning if he does only the first hit, not you can punish the first hit before the second hit options):

When it is fully spaced, you cannot punish it PERIOD. At ALL. You would need to PS it to be able to punish it, and it comes out in 4 frames. Good Luck with that lol.

When it is midrange spaced, you have a few options to hit him

Fair
Bair
Dtilt
Dash Grab
etc.

If Snake does ONLY the first hit, near midrange, you can punish it easy.

Up close, you can do the same things. You probably would even have enough time to just walk up to him a tad and Fsmash/Dsmash him.

2. Snake doing both hits of Ftilt (I will get into the different timings of it):

If Snake is fully spaced, there is no way aside from PSing it to punish it. If you shield the first hit and spotdodge the second hit, you can though. You have to guess well cause G&W's spotdodge kinda sucks at recovering fast lol.

If Snake is mid ranged, you can punish him maybe with a Fair/Dtilt, but you have to move very soon (1-3 frames after your shield lag is over). Otherwise he can shield and punish you.

If Snake is close ranged, you can punish it but best bets are Fair OOS, Dtilt, maybe dash grab.

3. Mixups (Not knowing whether Snake will Ftilt both hits, and not knowing when he will choose to activate his second hit:

If he is at long range, you're really not gonna punish him sadly.

If he is at midrange, you can try to punish the first hit of Ftilt with Fair or something but if he chooses to use the second hit then you will get hurt. If you wait too long to see if you can shield/punish the second hit, he will recover in time to be able to simply shield/roll/grab.

If you are up close, you have the same problem except you are a bit closer and don't have as big of a gap to close. You can grab him out of his second hit, and you can easily punish him if he only does one hit. If you wait for him to do a second hit, you can sometimes punish the very small frame window between when he can Ftilt the second hit and when he fully recovers.

I gtg, I'll explain it a bit better later.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Also, has Chip ever played LeePuff? I know he beats Valdens, but in all the other regions GW players do fine against TL players such as Santi, Quivo, Jash, Lobos...Toon link isn't a very common character so I can't imagine many people knowing how you should approach him with GW...
Both Chip and I tried to talk Lee Puff into coming to BIO but he didn't make it :(

I played the other Norcal Toon Link and demolished him, and several SoCal players commented that Chip was considerably better than their Toon Links so...:/

He crushed Onski, Corimon, and a couple SoCal players I don't remember. But Lee Puff didn't come so :(

And QUIVO noted that he's not faced a G&W in a while. I find very few G&Ws that know much about TL, which makes me suspect it's not a matchup that's occuring a lot.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
When it is fully spaced, you cannot punish it PERIOD. At ALL. You would need to PS it to be able to punish it, and it comes out in 4 frames. Good Luck with that lol.
Just saying, I actually do this a lot. I find the spacing for Snake's F-tilt somewhat obvious. I run up, powershield, and get free grabs this way if he relies too much on F-tilt to keep me away. Even if he for whatever reason doesn't F-tilt, he doesn't have all that much to discourage you from running up with a shield before you could just get away from him anyway.

Max Ketchum

If you repeatedly powershield his ftilts, he'll eventually catch on and just grab you, which is awful for G&W.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ya i was talking about the double mid/close range ftilt. If they just knee your shield they can't do anything else out of it, so you can roll/up b away, no biggie.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
A2Z, listen to yourself lol. No one I know of can constantly powershield a 4 frame move.

If you are powershielding it that much, either you are the reflex god, you are anticipating it in advance which leaves you open to a grab, or you really aren't PSing it that much.

Max Ketchum

Actually, DMG...at a Brooklyn tourney last weekend, I played Deoxys from MA. He consistently powershielded my Snake's ftilts, every time, without fail. He'd either perfectly read me when I went for a grab mix-up or has the most amazing reflexes I've ever seen.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Put as a cp for sonic, brinstar. If he does a spin dash in the middle, on the gooey things, he freezes in his stop animation for like 3 seconds. Easy smash. If you play smart and dont set yourself up for a bair or fsmash, it's the best stage against him IMO.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Actually, DMG...at a Brooklyn tourney last weekend, I played Deoxys from MA. He consistently powershielded my Snake's ftilts, every time, without fail. He'd either perfectly read me when I went for a grab mix-up or has the most amazing reflexes I've ever seen.
Hey, I played you too :) ggs.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Read you.

Trust me lol. Anytime I do something amazing, you can guarantee I read it. Not very many people I can think of can PS something in 4 frames if they are just standing still next to you and you randomly throw it out. That or he's looking at your controller.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
I hope you don't mind me trolling in here :-D

<UNNECESSARY TROLL>

I'm doubtful any human can powershield a 4-frame attack by reaction alone. At 60 frames per second, 4 frames takes up roughly 0.06667 seconds. Consider this: the average neuron transmission speed is about 25 meters per second. The average height of a human is 5.5 feet, or roughly 2 meters (a little less). Most people are 'square', that is their arm span is equivalent to their height. So, the length of one arm from inside of shoulder to tip of fingers is about one meter (a little less than that, but I'm estimating here, and besides, we have to add in the length of the spinal cord from the shoulders up). The time required then, for a signal to go from spinal cord to finger tips is 1 meter / 25 (meters/second) = 0.04 seconds. Technically, this number could be much larger or much smaller - I am not 100% sure on the neuron transmission speed.

This means that the time that the signal spends in the brain would have to be less than 0.06667-0.04 = 0.02667 seconds.

If anyone can do that, they're truly inhuman (or have managed to entirely rewire the insides of their brains - or I simply have the transmission speed wrong). Really though, even without transmission speed being taken into account, reacting in under seven hundredths of a second consistently is kind of ridiculous...

The eyes themselves refresh at a rate of around 24 frames per second. That means that for every 2.5 frames, your eyes will probably only catch one. Really, to do this consistently you not only need to have machine-like reflexes, you also need ocular implants.

</UNNECESSARY TROLL>

Max Ketchum

No, I'm not doommachine.

Yeah, it's still kinda crazy that he was able to perfectly counter what I was trying to do to him, even when I threw in random mixups.

Top Bottom