• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
if i was actually the best of a useful character it would then be my duty to be extremely unhelpful on the boards and make vague remarks that someone will later interpret to be deep

following which if it works out then ****

if not then whatever i just say they're not good enough to copy the strat yet

now i have motivation for trying to be good again

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i think some of you guys should try my shine OOS idea, like raynex said maybe it's not for everyone, but it's worth a shot imo.

plus that way if you guys can all give feedback about certain situations it worked and why, vs situations it didn't work and why, that would be awesome.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Sort of a dumb technical question. My running shine ~> Usmash out of shine is inconsistent because the shine seems to not come out half the time.

Am I suppose to wait for fox to crouch before he can shine or can he shine before the crouch (run animation~> crouch animation~> shine or run animation~>shine)?
Does the joystick have to go through neutral or can I slide it from forward to down?
make sure you're not trying to do it during your initial dash. you can only crouch out of a full run, not the beginning part.

i think some of you guys should try my shine OOS idea, like raynex said maybe it's not for everyone, but it's worth a shot imo.

plus that way if you guys can all give feedback about certain situations it worked and why, vs situations it didn't work and why, that would be awesome.
are u saying shield dropping after shield stun into shine waveland? i cant think of that many places where it would be good but who knows

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One

Its a solid idea, but Im pretty sure ur gonna wanna shine land from a shield drop. In the event you get hit you will not lose ur second jump. and also shine landing from a shield drop is faster than actually dropping through the platform in terms of getting your shine out in the quickest way possible. I think frame wise its faster than jc shine oos because you only have to fall and you dont have to wait for the pre jump frames b4 u can shine. if you can shield drop consistently I see it being usable pretty much any time you would jc shine oos on a platform.

imo its just more efficient. I kinda see the other way as more of a mind game. They think ur dropping thru...op no I aint into ****.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Its a solid idea, but Im pretty sure ur gonna wanna shine land from a shield drop. In the event you get hit you will not lose ur second jump. and also shine landing from a shield drop is faster than actually dropping through the platform in terms of getting your shine out in the quickest way possible. I think frame wise its faster than jc shine oos because you only have to fall and you dont have to wait for the pre jump frames b4 u can shine. if you can shield drop consistently I see it being usable pretty much any time you would jc shine oos on a platform.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TechnoBabble

He can CC spaced bairs into pretty much anything else though. For all that effort of escaping of the shine, we're left with CC: any smash and down/forward tilt. Falcos these days just hold down and good things tend to happen. Obviously we should still spam spaced bair as usual because its pretty **** safe otherwise.
haha no falco can't. find me one video where falco cc's a spaced bair into an fsmash or something and i'll find you a hundred where fox ***** falco near the ledge with fulljump aerials. fox can react to the CC and jump, anyway

edit: yeah, I just tested; falco can't cc fox's bairs into smash attacks lol. Even if the fox is right on top of Falco ("un-spaced" bairs); the smash attacks come out too slow. the fox would have to be missing his L-cancel for that to work. dtilt won't hit either - not only is it too slow, but CCing a bair would generally put fox out of range. i'm telling you, falco has no easy answer to full jump bair if fox is already on top of him. "run away and shoot a laser" is the best option, but that's where you get into the subtleties of vying for stage control.

a good example of the type of bair zoning I was talking about was the **** mango did in the first stock of this match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVwVKXMjOeM

it's really hard to get around as falco

uhh regarding shield dropping when you're getting pressured

this video makes a good case for it. uhh i'm probably not gonna bother unless otto starts doing it lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
toph u seem to know the fox-falco matchup pretty well

and that shield drop might be the only offensive solution to breaking marth's utilt platform gay

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
not really combos but he cant really waveshine her so if you can find a wall then wallshine. but uthrow uair is a good finish combo thing.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I watched some m2k vids when he was laser camping against armada. I noticed that he double laser. then at times he would short laser. My question is when is it the right time to double laser and when is it the right time to short laser? any advice.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
what are some solid combos against jiggly puff? any advice.
Up throw uair, hit and run a lot with nair and bair shines.......laser whenever possible......if they grab di away asap cuz uthrow is pretty fast........jab usmash combos @ higher % I believe.....utilt uair can work to

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I watched some m2k vids when he was laser camping against armada. I noticed that he double laser. then at times he would short laser. My question is when is it the right time to double laser and when is it the right time to short laser? any advice.
Dead serious. M2k said he CAN'T shl very well but shdl is easier for him....I say more lasers more damage....but if they r approaching u and u wanna laser shl is better

Brookman

Smash Hero
I am going to respond with a quote from nihonjin:

It's impossible to tell. There are so many factors ... Just experiment for yourself.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
SHL are way harder because it's such a tighter input. not only do you have to fastfall but you have to change when you fastfall based on how fast you got your laser out

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
toph u seem to know the fox-falco matchup pretty well

and that shield drop might be the only offensive solution to breaking marth's utilt platform gay
i have hit marths out of that spot using this, but i don't think they were uptilting as fast as possible, they uptilted, hit my shield, and then paused looking for me to do something, and i shield dropped and shined em.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
i can't shield drop after a u-tilt because of the hitstun i just wind up spot dodging like a **** nut and getting punished even harder

Brookman

Smash Hero
yeah but in a general sense, it was probably a double when he felt he was safer, single when he needed to be more mobile.
guess I should have been more specific with I was referring to,

"My question is when is it the right time to double laser and when is it the right time to short laser? any advice."

Does that make more sense now?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
mm, not really..i mean i knew what you were referring to already, which is why i said, the general reasoning for why m2k chose to double laser, or single laser, is basically based on being able to move around/be safer while single lasering. i mean ultimately yes, you can't explain exactly why m2k chose to laser or double laser at certain moments, but generally, that would be the reason to single laser instead of double.

the amsah quote says "it's impossible to tell" which can be true in plenty of smash situations. but in this case, i wouldn't say it's impossible to tell why to single laser over double laser and visa versa.

Brookman

Smash Hero
if you watch m2k vs. armada it mostly looks like he shl's only when he needs to turn around.

i.e. he is running accross the stage and can't turn and shdl

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I double when farther away.

sh single when I dash away from a close encounter or wd jump away single laser.

if I wd away oos you can get a quicky in after you dash away.

if they are in hit stun but you can't continue the combo or choose not to....double laser. or jump spam B.

I usually only double laser when retreating from about a marth f smash or more.

I shield stop double at mid distance so they don't close in on me. and double or spam at far distance or when they are in the air.

if im approaching or I think they will I single laser.

im trying to "punish" every encounter with at least 1 laser.

*this post sucks, I can clarify if needed*

Top Bottom