• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i've never heard that or noticed it myself...

i know you can slightly control your movement in the firefox startup by holding a direction cuz you can do it for things like grabbing the ledge if your close enough, or firefoxing across the gaps on jungle ****.

but i never understood why i would consistently die of the bottom when im obviously holding UP so that very thing doesnt happen lol

Roman.

Smash Champion
it happens

i think what counts as dying "off the stage" is when a hitbox is "out of bounds"

as we all know, fox's firefox hitbox doesn't come out until frame 13 so therefore, you don't die until that happens

and i'm just guessing on all of this btw lmfao

joeplicate

Smash Master
also with shining before you jump (i thought this was the "right thing to do" as a young smasher) you're likely to hold down a little before you press b, especially if you're hammering it

this way you can lose some height, which is key (in a bad way)
pretty sure that on most hits the momentum is all but done before you can jump out anyways

the trick to getting good recoveries, i think, is switching the stick position from your survival DI to straight towards the stage at the right time (right when you start tumbling--the moment you're able to jump out)

at least that's how it seems to me
if someone got some other info that'd be great too

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I think if your holding down (CC) and you slide across the stage, its jus a ledge cancel. Same way with techs and you grab the ledge or jump out of it.

doesnt shining after you jump stops you tho, or at least keeps your height up from a ledge canceled slide or whatever?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
it happens

i think what counts as dying "off the stage" is when a hitbox is "out of bounds"

as we all know, fox's firefox hitbox doesn't come out until frame 13 so therefore, you don't die until that happens

and i'm just guessing on all of this btw lmfao
i dont see how this could be it ecause it isnt consistent with dieing off the sides or top. theres no hitbox when you get lasted throuh the roof/sides, its just your body.

unless you meant hurtbox, which doesnt explain how come i can start the firefox to begin with. so neither option seems plausible

firefox carries whatever momentum you had for a bit
i guess this kinda makes sense though.

its lame though cuz im always like
'come on come on come on b-up b-up b-up..YES!! i've got th-FUUUUU!!!"

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
the trick to getting good recoveries, i think, is switching the stick position from your survival DI to straight towards the stage at the right time (right when you start tumbling--the moment you're able to jump out)

at least that's how it seems to me
if someone got some other info that'd be great too
the right time to start holding in towards the stage (to drift that way) is right after you get hit. you dont have to hold the survival DI; your trajectory is completely determined the first frame after hitlag. you can start holding in to the stage as soon as you're moving.

NOz

Smash Rookie
sup i've heard a lot about a fox controller.
im guessing its a controller thats fox-friendly (duh).
is there anything specific about it? i'd like to try and make one lol.
my controller right now is like 4 months old, but the L/R buttons still *click* which is annoying. is there anyway to make it stop clicking? is that part of what a fox controller consists of (no clicking)?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
my controller right now is like 4 months old, but the L/R buttons still *click* which is annoying. is there anyway to make it stop clicking? is that part of what a fox controller consists of (no clicking)?
Fox controllers have nothing to do with clicking or anything like that. Fox just requires a lot of control so most players prefer a well broken in controller. Usually it just means the buttons are a little smoother and the joystick is a bit looser making wavedashing and uptilts and such a little more precise.

So Fox controllers are really just well broken in controllers.

play with it enough and theyll stop clicking

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
your upb falls very slightly while in the charging part before it moves up.

edit- woops, page behind.

NOz

Smash Rookie
Fox controllers have nothing to do with clicking or anything like that. Fox just requires a lot of control so most players prefer a well broken in controller. Usually it just means the buttons are a little smoother and the joystick is a bit looser making wavedashing and uptilts and such a little more precise.

So Fox controllers are really just well broken in controllers.
play with it enough and theyll stop clicking
For maximum controller breaking in-age, i suggest playing Cap. Falcon for a few days
ok thanks a lot everyone.

joeplicate

Smash Master
the right time to start holding in towards the stage (to drift that way) is right after you get hit. you dont have to hold the survival DI; your trajectory is completely determined the first frame after hitlag. you can start holding in to the stage as soon as you're moving.
oh, word

i'll try it out

JPOBS

Smash Hero
im so on the fence with the broken in vs newer controlelr thing.

for one, i HATE conrollers which are too borken in cuz then the stick doesnt register jumps and i HATE getting stuck in shine on things like shine bairs and shine turnaround firebirds etc.

on the other hand i hate not being able to wavedash/waveland smoothly.

its such a fickle line lol
and captain falcon makes me hit the triggers MAD hard for some reason :/

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
im so on the fence with the broken in vs newer controlelr thing.

for one, i HATE conrollers which are too borken in cuz then the stick doesnt register jumps and i HATE getting stuck in shine on things like shine bairs and shine turnaround firebirds etc.

on the other hand i hate not being able to wavedash/waveland smoothly.

its such a fickle line lol
and captain falcon makes me hit the triggers MAD hard for some reason :/
I think you are jumping too early. Because of the lack of resistance, you start doing things a bit faster. See if slowing it down a bit helps your consistency.

maybe its just a ****ed up controller.
falcon jokes are ghey
Lol

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i can do it fine and perfectly on my tourny controller.

but seeing as how good controllers are hard to come by, whenever i do solo tech skill sessions i use another controller and i get frustrated really fast cuz my other sticks blow so i just stop lol

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i can do it fine and perfectly on my tourny controller.

but seeing as how good controllers are hard to come by, whenever i do solo tech skill sessions i use another controller and i get frustrated really fast cuz my other sticks blow so i just stop lol
how rough are u on the controllers to where you need to switch one when u do tech skill ****. I though gc controllers were pretty durable

fLoAtiN

Smash Cadet
does any other fox main use this setup? I just recently changed to this because i couldn't ever WD full length with X + L, but now i can with this setup. i know you should use whatever is most comfortable, but i just want to get an idea of other fox main's setup:
X + R = WD
L = Shield
L = Tech
X = Jump
L = L-cancel

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
haha,y es, actually, i use exactly the same setup. i used R for shield all the time i played casually, though, so sometimes I accidentally do that and then **** up wavedashing out of shield and die :(

fLoAtiN

Smash Cadet
haha,y es, actually, i use exactly the same setup. i used R for shield all the time i played casually, though, so sometimes I accidentally do that and then **** up wavedashing out of shield and die :(
hahah same here. its hard to change. i was wavedashing with both triggers today.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i use y for doubleshines and shdl. i actually use it a lot of the time for fh triple lasers, too, but that's just because im lazy. when i play falco i also use it for ledge double lasers.

fLoAtiN

Smash Cadet
ya for shdl i have to claw with y and b. and for ledge hop double lasers also (falco). and for double shines lol. ok good, so that setup seems to be most common. i just have to get used to it :/

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I Short Hop with the Control Stick for SHDL (don't tell ICG he actually had a good idea), everything else, from double shines to wavedashing, I use Y. R trigger used exclusively for Wavelands/dashes, L trigger for L cancelling.

I still don't know how to claw :[

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I never ever touch R, i think my R button is still perfectly new.

i find depending on my actions and the moment i do the most ridiculous things and frequently break my setup.
anyone else ever thought to themselveds midmatch "wow, that felt really wierd" ?

for example, i sometimes catch myself shining out of sheild with joystick, and then DJ wavelanding to the platform with the same stick so the movement is like

up (jump)-> down (shine) -> up (DJ)-> down angle (waveland). i would neevr do that consciously and never practice it but sometimes my hands just do it :/

Top Bottom