• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Neverender

Smash Journeyman
Don't get grabbed by Doc on FD.
If your at 90-higher % watch out for Up throw> full hop> f-air.
Watch out for the cape.
Remember Docs bair is a killer gimp.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
While in theory uairing would be cool, how do you propose on landing it when you can't combo it out of an uthrow? Mario/Doc tend to stay on the ground unless they are camping you with fireballs/pills.
U-tilt, D-tilt, Nair

If they're on a platform knocked over tech chase

Lots of ways just be inventive

Ryan-K

Smash Master
am i the only one who still thinks marth has the advantage over fox lmao
i swear to god before m2k starting saying it's even-ish or even in fox's favor it was considered a counter >.>
most of ny thought fox was even or equal with marth before m2k said anything as did alot of other people

even if you assume marth wins on stage, fox can win on the basis that marth cant win on stages like corneria/rainbow cruise/poke floats and just laser camp plus fox almost always has guaranteed follow ups out of his uthrow, marth at higher percents either has to throw fox off stage or uthrow to nair or something like that or get a tech chase going

its all about grabs and between lasers and aerial -> shine -> grab fox can usually get more and he usually gets a better reward unless you get screwed on a platform or your on fd.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Its hard to continually be different and inventive. With Fox you can spam moves...but meh. If I had a brain like Azen/Isai I wouldn't have this problem.

Alukard

Smash Hero
That would be the best thing ever.

Ever.

Edit: *Pound* @ Alukard
we'd have the best of every single character ... and we would ... dare i say it ... take over the WORLD MUWAHAHAHAHAHA

and hazz is scary while intoxicated lol i've herd stories

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
imo its like:

Falco
Marth
Samus
ditto

In terms of awkwardness and stuff Jigglypuff, Peach would be there too.

lol dammit KK is right I can't fight it anymore. Beyond Falco/Marth Fox has no extremely challenging match-ups. If they characters like Peach/Jiggs/Samus challenge you either you're not doing something right or the person you are playing against is grossly outplaying you.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
look @ SW. He has the most tech skill in melee but he probably can't beat Cactuar/M2k/Chu/PC

Intelligent play > Technical play

Using your head when you play is the hardest thing to do in smash imo. But the few people that have managed to base their playstyles around that instead of insane tech skill haven't done all that bad.

i.e.: Azen/Isai

As Fox players, what we should strive to do is incorporate both elements in our spacies. A Fox that knows as much about his match-ups, stage cps, and combo strategies as he does about his JC shines, SHDLs, and illusion/firefox stalls...

well, thats the plateau I'm trying to reach. My first example would be M2k. But thats something else. I don't even think he uses his brain anymore. He's just has perfect execution. You can't beat a robot.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
well, thats the plateau I'm trying to reach. My first example would be M2k. But thats something else. I don't even think he uses his brain anymore. He's just has perfect execution. You can't beat a robot.
Also, experience. How many years of experience does M2K have? That's probably why it just comes naturally to him when he plays.

Most of the people here don't even come close to that amount.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
imo its like:

Falco
Marth
Samus
ditto

In terms of awkwardness and stuff Jigglypuff, Peach would be there too.

lol dammit KK is right I can't fight it anymore. Beyond Falco/Marth Fox has no extremely challenging match-ups. If they characters like Peach/Jiggs/Samus challenge you either you're not doing something right or the person you are playing against is grossly outplaying you.
I was actually curious.

I always felt Fox vs Samus was even, Fox vs Marth was even, and Falco won.

So that would make Fox ditto his 2nd hardest matchup, tied with Marth and Samus.

Which is roughly what you proposed for Sheik only marginally worse; one disadvantage (Fox), one even (Sheik ditto), and she beats everyone else.

I'm not sure how much I agree with you, but I asked, you answered, now I am content. I really just wanted to know.

Going of your opinion, though, I could see why you'd conclude Sheik as being better than Fox.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Also, experience. How many years of experience does M2K have? That's probably why it just comes naturally to him when he plays.

Most of the people here don't even come close to that amount.
There are alot of players with more experience with M2k. Back when he started playing, Ken, Isai, Chu, Chillin and those guys were already ahead of him. In the first generation of pros M2k was a scrub lol.

I think there are players with more tournament experience than him, but when it comes to in-game practice...M2k takes it. He has spent hours upon hours playing by himself and mastering/applying all the obscure nuances melee has to offer than anyone else I've ever heard of.

I was actually curious.

I always felt Fox vs Samus was even, Fox vs Marth was even, and Falco won.

So that would make Fox ditto his 2nd hardest matchup, tied with Marth and Samus.

Which is roughly what you proposed for Sheik only marginally worse; one disadvantage (Fox), one even (Sheik ditto), and she beats everyone else.

I'm not sure how much I agree with you, but I asked, you answered, now I am content. I really just wanted to know.

Going of your opinion, though, I could see why you'd conclude Sheik as being better than Fox.
So by our analysis:

Fox: 1st Falco 2nd ditto, Sheik: 1st Fox, 2nd Ditto.

I can agree that Fox vs. Samus is even. But Fox wins on the cps so in a set I'd give Fox the general nod.

strategies
You go from one-liners to one worders? At least post full sentences. -_-

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I think m2k and anyone off that level win as much as they do simply because they're smart. He always seems to be one step ahead of his opponent make the right decisions.
most of ny thought fox was even or equal with marth before m2k said anything as did alot of other people

even if you assume marth wins on stage, fox can win on the basis that marth cant win on stages like corneria/rainbow cruise/poke floats and just laser camp plus fox almost always has guaranteed follow ups out of his uthrow, marth at higher percents either has to throw fox off stage or uthrow to nair or something like that or get a tech chase going

its all about grabs and between lasers and aerial -> shine -> grab fox can usually get more and he usually gets a better reward unless you get screwed on a platform or your on fd.
Yhea man I beleive you, and I'm not saying that anyone in this thread is just basing his opinion off of m2k's or anything like that. it's just that... before m2k made his statements, most people seemed to think that it was in marths favor. now noone does >.>

sadly you can't waveshine combo marth properly in PAL :(. No jones tho, I seriously don't think it makes that much off a difference.... I usually go for just the grab anyway, and there are other things you can do out off arials then shine (jab, grab, reverse utilt...)

Anyway, I think the matchup is in Marths favor for two main reasons:

1. If he hits you with something it can often lead to a grab, and he can pretty much kill you from a grab. FD is obvious. On other stages he'll cg you until you reach a platform and then he'll start gaying you with tippers and utilts.
Marth can kill fox if he gets a grab. If fox gets a grab he gets 1 free hit (ok it's a little better then that since people don't always di perfectly every time so you can sometimes do 2 uairs and lasers). Marth wins. :(

2. Approaching. Sure you have the lasers, but this isn't peach you cant run away and spam all day without him catching up.
I find approaching him almost impossible, he seems to have some kind of devastating counter to pretty much everything you have.
So, ok, dont approach, laser and have him approach instead.
His approaches are to hard to punish due to low lag and range. If I try punish something like his auto canceled nair or shffl'd fair he can usually do something before I can reach (dash away, roll, spot dodge, jab, utilt..). If I try to time it earlier I'll just run into the fair/nair hitbox
Sure you have some good shield approaches but I find them very risky since they can just grab you. Marth has way more safe approaches then that

I think this matchup is way harder then falco. Sure falco can **** your *** off with shine combos but you can **** his *** off with your grabs so it's pretty even. Also fox is (much) better at getting around the lasers then most other chars are. Edgeguarding him with fox is to easy. I'd even say that fox is better at gimping falco then sheik or marth is.

Not trying to claim that this is right and you guys are wrong btw. in fact im sure that almost all of you have more high level experience in this matchup then I do... feel free to correct me somewhere.
hell if you think that im wrong somewhere and im simply not playing the matchup right and/or not punishing things that can be punished, i'd be more then happy if you told me how it should be done. :)

Tero.

Smash Champion
oh on that fox vs marth matchup i forgot to mention that im playing PAL.

I would say

NTSC: Fox >= Marth
PAL: Fox =< Marth

idea

Smash Master
how is fox-samus even?

even if you don't want to camp her, i don't really see that. i can think of tricks like "WD back and dsmash" that might work, but not whole strategies...crouch canceling only goes so far.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
how is fox-samus even?

even if you don't want to camp her, i don't really see that. i can think of tricks like "WD back and dsmash" that might work, but not whole strategies...crouch canceling only goes so far.
You can't uthrow uair. I don't think you can waveshine usmash if they d.i. correctly. Samus can CC nair, bair, dtilt, utilt, jab...

Edge-guarding her is sometimes a *****. Oh, and you can't hit her shield because if you do she automatically gets free damage on you. Her up+b has frames of invincibility on start-up so she doesn't even have to wait for your shine on her shield before she does it. She can simply wait for you to nair or dair her shield then up+b right through your shine. Her spin attack will clink with shine and keep going. :( Hugs showed me this the hard way @ Pound 3.

Basically, Samus is gay and you can't do alot to her. Thats what makes it even. If she didn't have such an annoying shield game Fox would probably **** her.

I think m2k and anyone off that level win as much as they do simply because they're smart. He always seems to be one step ahead of his opponent make the right decisions.

Yhea man I beleive you, and I'm not saying that anyone in this thread is just basing his opinion off of m2k's or anything like that. it's just that... before m2k made his statements, most people seemed to think that it was in marths favor. now noone does >.>

sadly you can't waveshine combo marth properly in PAL :(. No jones tho, I seriously don't think it makes that much off a difference.... I usually go for just the grab anyway, and there are other things you can do out off arials then shine (jab, grab, reverse utilt...)

Anyway, I think the matchup is in Marths favor for two main reasons:

1. If he hits you with something it can often lead to a grab, and he can pretty much kill you from a grab. FD is obvious. On other stages he'll cg you until you reach a platform and then he'll start gaying you with tippers and utilts.
Marth can kill fox if he gets a grab. If fox gets a grab he gets 1 free hit (ok it's a little better then that since people don't always di perfectly every time so you can sometimes do 2 uairs and lasers). Marth wins. :(

2. Approaching. Sure you have the lasers, but this isn't peach you cant run away and spam all day without him catching up.
I find approaching him almost impossible, he seems to have some kind of devastating counter to pretty much everything you have.
So, ok, dont approach, laser and have him approach instead.
His approaches are to hard to punish due to low lag and range. If I try punish something like his auto canceled nair or shffl'd fair he can usually do something before I can reach (dash away, roll, spot dodge, jab, utilt..). If I try to time it earlier I'll just run into the fair/nair hitbox
Sure you have some good shield approaches but I find them very risky since they can just grab you. Marth has way more safe approaches then that

I think this matchup is way harder then falco. Sure falco can **** your *** off with shine combos but you can **** his *** off with your grabs so it's pretty even. Also fox is (much) better at getting around the lasers then most other chars are. Edgeguarding him with fox is to easy. I'd even say that fox is better at gimping falco then sheik or marth is.

Not trying to claim that this is right and you guys are wrong btw. in fact im sure that almost all of you have more high level experience in this matchup then I do... feel free to correct me somewhere.
hell if you think that im wrong somewhere and im simply not playing the matchup right and/or not punishing things that can be punished, i'd be more then happy if you told me how it should be done. :)
Mike: I agree with most of what you said. Marth IS generally harder to approach, and Fox's speed DOES help him maneuver around lasers. I still think that at higher levels of play Marth gimps Falco easier than Fox does. Because you have to usually be at close proximity to Falco to kill him at low %s with Fox, and Marth can just poke him and Falco dies. :laugh:

With proper d.i. + platforms you can get out of Marth's combos pretty consistently. I think a perfect Falco is more of a threat than a perfect Marth. Lasers are dumb and dair is dumb. Not to mention he has ****loads more priority than you. With Marth you can potentially land like 3 uairs. You can also string together combos off of uthrow and shine and stuff. The same goes for Falco, I know - but he has a shine...so the whole thing is different now. Falco has 3 times as many opportunities to death combo you. Because he doesn't have to take it slow and space, or generally even think about how to start a combo...because everything he does leads to one.

Its either, face character thats harder to approach, has more range and can edge-guard you better...

or the character that has more priority than you, a broken projectile that can hit you cross stage and interrupt your flow/movement, can literally combo you out of anything from nair/bair/dair/grab/dtilt/utilt, and can also edge-guard you pretty effectively with moves like laser (to steal your double jump).

With Marth the solution is simply...don't get careless, get grabs, edge-guard properly. With Falco its harder because his lasers and **** really mess you up. He CCs to shine and your approach gets wrecked. You spam shine and that works until he starts spamming it more. Lets face it, he can do more out of his than you can out of yours.

I blabbering on and on though, you get my point. I've always disliked playing against Falco, to the point where even mediocre Falco players piss me off. In my eyes Falco > Marth vs. Fox.

edit: I should probably mention that I have ALOT of Marth practice. He is the character that I play against the most by far. Thats probably why I'm comfortable facing an opponent at any level of play that uses Marth. I personally just find Falco consistently difficult.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yeah but how many perfect falcos are there? It's easier to be a perfect marth, making them harder to beat :/

i dunno in tourney id prefer a falco.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
-______-

first of all u play gay with ur

grabs and dash dancing

and if i wanted 2 i could do nothing

but nairs like pc but i dont

and i ***** ur **** that one day =D

Tero.

Smash Champion
how is fox-samus even?

Basically:

- up b oos
- samus eg
- so combos from uthrow
- cc and samus spacing, wd back, etc. -> hard to approach

Top Bottom