• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Oh, cool. Thanks.

I have another question that isn't really specific to Fox but...

Is there a way you can control how you "get up" from the ledge? Like when you press L when you're edge hogging, sometimes Fox will get up right away and do a couple cart wheels onto the stage. Other times he'll just slowly get up from the stage. Does it matter which one is used? Or does the latter only look like it takes longer?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
no theres two different roll ons when you use L or R

under 100 you do the cartwheels yous speak of, over 100 is the other ish.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The fast attacks/get-ups are done by all characters under 100%. Once any character goes over 100 everything they do from the ledge changes, except their ledge-jump I think.

edit: I'm uploading more vids vs. a CC spammy Marth in my thread. -_-

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
The fast attacks/get-ups are done by all characters under 100%. Once any character goes over 100 everything they do from the ledge changes, except their ledge-jump I think.

edit: I'm uploading more vids vs. a CC spammy Marth in my thread. -_-
Isn't drill waveshine -> uthrow -> uair good against CC spammers? (especially Marth)?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Isn't drill waveshine -> uthrow -> uair good against CC spammers? (especially Marth)?
Thats good vs. every character. But I coming in with the same approach over and over gets predictable. sometimes I just skip the drillshine and grab. Or spam shine and force him to an edge and edge-guard.

What you mentioned was a bread-butter combo vs. all characters that don't fall from the shine except vs. mario/doc/samus

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Thats good vs. every character. But I coming in with the same approach over and over gets predictable. sometimes I just skip the drillshine and grab. Or spam shine and force him to an edge and edge-guard.

What you mentioned was a bread-butter combo vs. all characters that don't fall from the shine except vs. mario/doc/samus
Because they get thrown too high from the uthrow, right?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Chyea. Even though Fox CAN spam the same things over and over...its better to just not and be different. At least thats how I feel. That way people expect gay stuff like uthrow less because you mix it up with gay things like CC usmash and spaced bair spam.

Brookman

Smash Hero
An attack by itself is not an approach, the way you're moving before you do it is what matters. I've used one move over and over (marth's dash attack) vs. several people without the being able to do much about it.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Anyway to do a pseudo RAR ala barlw style?

E: Reason why I ask is because I find the Bair so much better than the Nair. And I really can't think of a way to pop out a bair when you're advancing towards your opponent.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
shine first then JC into bair. Extremely over-cheese but highly entertaining.
Oh so like reverse shine bair? Interesting.

I've never been good at that, so I guess I'll start practicing on it.

What would you say is Fox's most useless Smash? I'm going to say the Fsmash, since his Usmash is just obvious, and you can at least Dsmash for edgeguarding purposes.

Other than that, any uses for D/Fsmash? Maybe pivot fsmash for the unexpected kill here and there?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
combo into fsmash/dsmash at certain percents. nair->fsmash or dsmash works at mid percents if they d.i. into it. Same way Falco's pillar -> nair -> fsmash works.

Fsmash is **** vs. Falcon, as the great KDJ taught us. Throw Falcon off and charge it and what can he do? He can't sweetspot or go over it. Its game over.

Fsmash/dsmash also trade/beat DK's upb. Its funny when that happens. Yea beyond that I just use it at the end of combos if usmash won't kill.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
combo into fsmash/dsmash at certain percents. nair->fsmash or dsmash works at mid percents if they d.i. into it. Same way Falco's pillar -> nair -> fsmash works.

Fsmash is **** vs. Falcon, as the great KDJ taught us. Throw Falcon off and charge it and what can he do? He can't sweetspot or go over it. Its game over.

Fsmash/dsmash also trade/beat DK's upb. Its funny when that happens. Yea beyond that I just use it at the end of combos if usmash won't kill.

Oh thanks, I didn't know Fsmash vs Falcon (should be useful as one of my friends mains him). Interesting.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Lesser known fact:

uthrow fsmash if they d.i. off the stage is teh ****. Or uthrow to dsmash. Gawd Fox can uthrow to anything.

Uthrow -> usmash -> fsmash works.

Waveshine fsmash probably. Waveshine dsmash definetly.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Waveshine fsmash works, and it's really good. it's probably the best edgeguard set-up he has (except if they're close enough to the edge to be shined off)
but it's hard and if you mistime it you'll get shieldgrabbed :(

guyz i wanna know is uthrow shine-usmash possible on falcon?
ive been trying to for a while but i think im to slow

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Most people jump with the control stick and do the bair with the c-stick essentially at the same time as they jump

Another technique would be to press down b, and then Y/X+A (and away on the control stick) almost at the same time (do it with press)

Falcinho

Smash Ace
oh pls great Gaynex or Loveage or someone else who knows some %ages, make a "how-to-shinebair"-thread.

I swear, more than 50% of the last 50 pages were about shinebairs >_>

@RaynEX: You're my hero, yesterday i realised i need to learn how to play Fox vs Marth and today i wanted to look for some actual vids on youtube =D

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
This has probably been addressed so many times before: How can Fox shine/bair? I'm assuming the shine is cancelled and immediately following the jump the C-stick must be hit in the direction of the bair. It's ridiculous :X
Jump.
Shine the opponent (the TOP of the shine)
Jump.
Backair.

I use X to jump initially.
Then Down B.
Then flick up on the control stick and move my right thumb to c-stick asap.

It will seem hard at first, but it's easy once you get the hang of it.

Honestly, if you want to practice it, just try doing it on like 100% foxes by uthrowing them. Also, since this must ALWAYS be said when someone asks about the shine-bair, it's pretty much useless in terms of actual playing in a match, as there are usually better options. But ****, it looks sexy as hell.

Top Bottom