• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Don't drill jab. Everyone these days buffer rolls or CC shines. If you want go for it. But I'd suggest shine or grab after a drill.

Beyond that, I do dair->turnaround utilt sometimes. If they block it I keep spamming it or bair shine them a bit.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
dair->utilt is an awesome combo I should get more consistent with it. It's a **** way of starting a combo on chars you can't grab combo so well.
the timing of the utilt is pretty **** tight

raynex i remember that you said a few pages back that you had tested fox's cg on spacies and that it lasted until 55% with no DI, and to 80% with DI (i think that's what you said). How did you test and how sure are you the numbers are correct?
Not saying I don't beleive you or w/e, I'm wondering because I want to some reliable method to test fox's cg on falcon :p

btw are those numbers both for fox and falco?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
See guys, shine isn't that broken. Its just sort of broken.

Now lets list the characters we can CC shine on edge-guard if they miss the sweetspot etc etc:

Marth
Link
Y.Link
Luigi
DK
Roy but I think his upb has too much knockback. Samus has the same problem
Bowser?

I don't think I'm forgetting anything else. The characters I haven't mentioned are just blatently impossible to CC shine. i.e: Pika, Mewtwo, Sheik and the like.
It also works against Firefox/falcos

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
It also works against Firefox/falcos
No, their hitstun stops you from shining until after they've passed you. Its impossible to take the hit and shine them through it.

Mike: Someone else tested it, and M2K told me about in @ Event52 while we had friendlies at Darkrain's house. The CG works on Fox/Falco, Falcon's percentages are different.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
I meant when they come from below and don't sweetspot.

In this case they won't pass you and you can CC shine before they touch the ground.

Very situational, i know, but yeah

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
lol...

Yea, too situational. Dsmash, ftilt, bair, dair or even fsmash would be more suitable for that kind of situation.

Fox/Falco have very linear recoveries, so its not hard to improvise an edge-guard. CC shines is for characters like Link/DK, who can sometimes be a pain to edge-guard. Though with DK, you have to eat a few of his upb hits before your shine will come out.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
u can shine earlier if u di up
No, you can't. Its maaaaybe 52-55%, but I know thats it.

D.i.ing up is ineffectual. Why would you d.i. up? Isn't that the direction you're being thrown? Holding up on the control stick would simply be neutral d.i. and you wouldn't go anywhere.

you wait till 55% and shine or jump out. Thats what M2K told me. Thats what works for me.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
How does auto SDI work? I read through InfernoOmni's guide for Fox some years ago and I don't remember seeing it in there. I could be wrong, it was a looong time ago...

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
No, you can't. Its maaaaybe 52-55%, but I know thats it.

D.i.ing up is ineffectual. Why would you d.i. up? Isn't that the direction you're being thrown? Holding up on the control stick would simply be neutral d.i. and you wouldn't go anywhere.

you wait till 55% and shine or jump out. Thats what M2K told me. Thats what works for me.
i think i was told earlier that most moves aren't perfect angles, so di'ing along the trajectory is bad but can have some kind of influence or whatever. so di-ing an u-throw up can have some influence just not as noticeable but maybe enough to give you time to shine out of it...

kinda like how you do versus marth?

could be wrong tho

not trying is also giving them the benefit that they are perfect when cg

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
The only thing I can think of that doing (and I'm not entirely sure; you probably need to angle slightly away as well) is forcing the Marth to have to pivot grab.

EDIT: Fox/Falco, not Marth >__>

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Its called slight d.i.

Yes, it is true that forcing Marth to pivot grab is good. But most CGs in melee require some sort of d.i. in order for a combo opportunity to present itself.

Marth CGs Fox: If you d.i. left or right, Marth can fair, nair, tipper, re-grab. He can do a million and one things. Neutral d.i. isn't a whole lot better. But at least if he wants to tipper you he has to walk a bit and force it. D.i.ing during CGs is like handing them combos. Mind you, its good to mix it up sometimes - but on the whole, neutral d.i. followed by really good combo d.i. when they hit you is the best approach.

fox CGs Fox/Falco: If you d.i. left or right, they have the opportunity to re-grab, usmash, nair, bair....

but the problem is, they can do most of this with neutral d.i. anyway. The only advantage not d.i.ing brings to this situation is the fact that your trajectory becomes more random.

Sometimes if Fox nairs you or usmashes you during neutral d.i., you fly behind him or something. This could be due to a mistimed move or whatever, by my point still stands. Neutral d.i. reduces the chance of you getting super comboed. *imo*

What people normally do is:

Fox uthrow-> Falco d.i.s right -> Fox nair -> Falco "noooooo!!" d.i.'s towards Fox so he doesn't die -> Fox responds with a super duper star fox combo.

There is one recurring point I should mention when it comes to CGs.

The solution to the majority of them is usually to neutral d.i. and shine or jump. Marth @ 20% and above, Fox @ 55% and above, etc etc.

unknown522

Some guy
neutral DI helps you escape the CG itself faster, giving you a chance to shine or jump at higher %s. Most CGs on fox end a lot lower than most people think when they don't DI the throw.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Wow, sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing at all. Thanks.

I once heard M2K say it is important to memorize the percentages for the Jiggs matchup. Can I get some help on important percentages and strategies?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Wow, sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing at all. Thanks.

I once heard M2K say it is important to memorize the percentages for the Jiggs matchup. Can I get some help on important percentages and strategies?
utilt kills at a bit over 90 on most levels. with proper d.i. its like 110%.

Create a wall of utilt. It trades with all of jiggs moves or beats them if timed correctly. lol

uthrow uair works at 50-60% and its a kill on most levels. So look for that. Percentage specific stuff isn't required for Jiggs. You can't really combo her that much and yea... : S

Alphicans

Smash Hero
What are your guys' opinion on marth vs fox? Is it even? Better for marth? or better for fox? And why? I just had an argument with my friend, and I feel that we both don't know enough about the topic to actually settle it, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Top Bottom