• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

unknown522

Some guy
leffen vs amanda GFs:

Game 1:
I thought you were going to get d-smashed at 0:18 for that n-air. Still, drill probably wouldve been better

0:45, you gave up one of the best stage positions to be in against peach. Having her stuck in shield at the edge. When he did the WD back, that was another chance to apply more pressure. But you were a bit too far away. Fortunately, we didnt' manage to get away since he decided to attack head-on, instead of assuming a better position.

good u-tilt at 0:58

at 1:11, after the waveshine combo, you shouldn't d-smash at that low percent. Not only can it be unsafe, but they can just grab the ledge and you lose your whole combo / gimp setup / etc. Either f-throw, or launch them.

2:03, illusion. Even if you get hit, it probably wouldnt' be by the turnip. Since he was holding it, that means he has to hit you with an aerial, while floating. Even if it were by the turnip at that point, assuming it's not a stitchface you wouldnt' be in any danger. You would also be closer to the stage, or maybe even on the stage

2:14, the perfect chance to n-air, instead of dashing away. He wouldn't be able to ASDI down and d-smash on a strong hit at that percent because he was DDing (so can't CC). If he managed to react in time and shield, then you get your pressure anyway. I say n-air because, drill just doesn't have enough range in that situation.

2:21, maybe you could've put more pressure on him. Like jumping out with an aerial. Or feints with your jump.

same with 2:34. Except he was lower, so you could work with the platform more to keep pressure while he was floating.

2:46, aww man. That falling u-air almost costed you a stock right there. If you did a b-air, things may have worked well.

2:56, I personally would've tried to FH n-air at his float after the waveland onto the stage. Dunno if it would've worked

3:06, good edgeguard

3:14, I hope that shine was a mistake. You had a free recovery if you did an illusion instead. Bonus points for mid-shorten

3:40, after that rising n-air he clearly missed the tech. I would've d-tilted right there, to try and follow with u-air. If what I said worked, then you would've won the game at that moment.

3:51, aww man. He even waited for the jump. I think that was pure reaction. That was really well done on his part.

Overall you did really well this game. You just lost it towards the end. He was being more conservative, but you started to rush things toward the end and got hit a lot, whereas at the beginning, you didn't take as many risks but you did pick good times to attack, but didn't leave yourself open for too long. We both already know that you were messing up your WD oos when trying to punish his d-smashes as well. I think you messed it up every time in this game and rolled by mistake.

Game 2:
lol, dash attack at 0%. Please tell me it was an accident. In that position though, you could've drilled, or gone for a grab.

After that combo he did, TBH I think you should've shot some lasers. At least to start getting him out of CC percent. The stage is wide enough for you to do so, and you were having trouble getting through his defense anyway. Maybe it would open him up a little.

4:39, when he went into his float here, you could've done a FH rising n-air. He was way too close to you to avoid it.

5:09, when you hit that drill when he was on the platform the second time, you could've SH u-air to poke at him. If he d-smashed then you would beat it out. It wouldn't work the first time because the stage was changing, but in either case he didn't d-smash so you may have caught him running.

5:29, when you were running around on the windmill. At some point you probably should've done a b-air. There were a lot of chances to hit him, but eventually you came down with falling u-air. Even if you did a b-air instead of that at that time, you would've hit

5:59, aww man. I knew that dash attack wasn't going to work there. Not really sure what you should've done there. Either wait longer, or more n-air

6:10, could've n-air'd after that f-tilt. I don't think up-smash would've killed in PAL. It's also around this time where you started to rush things once again. Trying to force a kill and running in way too close at bad times. Then you lost your stock pretty quickly.

Game 3:
6:54, again with the d-smash near the edge. Maybe in NTSC it may have worked out at that percent. Still should've either f-thrown or used a launcher (u-tilt / smash / throw / d-tilt)

7:40, perfect time to shine after he used his float

8:08, after he missed the dash attack you could've shine -> ledge WD -> combo. I would've tried to waveshine him to the wall

8:55 - 8:59, Yes. YES! After the b-air though, you should've SH n-air off the platform. Alternatively instead of the b-air, you could've u-air and since you landed on the platform, if you managed to combo another u-air then that may have been game.

nonetheless. Good work on winning that game.

Game 4:
Good stock in the beginning. Until the SD.

The next stock was pretty bad. A few errors and the stock was gone already.

10:45, after that b-air, you should've done a second one, or went for u-air. I think you were trying to n-air, but I'm not sure. Following that there was a bad dash attack again. Causing you to get hit again.

After being down 3-1 , you were bringing it back nicely, but just slipped up.

I could not believe that he would CP DL64. It could've been really ugly if you decided to camp / turtle / play conservative from the beginning. Maybe he was just testing, or didn't care or something. Or wanted the longer survivability.

Game 5:
12:48, where was the u-air?

12:54, I dunno if that dash attack was an accident or not

12:58 - 13:18, there were a lot of times in this segment where you probably would've benefited a lot from b-air. Especially since he was playing to the platform a lot.

13:30, that was the time to drill.

13:50, when you hit that rising n-air at 0%, it was good that you shielded. It's not worth the risk of getting n-air'd by peach. Armada's really good though and was aware enough to not n-air.

14:07, after the weak n-air was a chance to d-tilt. Or turnaround u-tilt.

14:16 - 14:28, after hitting the illusion, I'm surprised that you didn't b-air him. After he hit you with weak n-air, you should've illusioned to grab the edge. You made it back anyway but you could've made it back sooner.

On the next stock. I think you were having a bit of problems with you movement. Like getting stuck when trying to dash. The small mistakes lead to you taking a lot of damage and eventually losing the stock.

On the last stock, he started to slow down again and was moving in slowly. Then he landed one hit due to a small mis-space on your part. Then everything went downhill for you.

Some ending notes:
- usually it's not good to u-tilt if he's coming downwards diagonally at you. If you trade, it will usually be bad for you, unless there's a percent deficit where you are at very low percent (and not trading with f-air).

- at lot of times, you let up too much space for armada when he is turtling, and he's at low percent. Shoot some lasers.

- edgeguarding. Try taking the ledge a little more often after waiting out the float

- more b-air in general.

- when you land a grab, u-throw as fast as possible. He might miss the DI sometimes cuz it is pretty hard to react to sometimes.

- CC vs n-air sometimes if you have trouble getting in, or if you have pressure at the edge

- rising FH n-air is not bad for cutting off jumps sometimes or pressuring around moves / shields.

anyways, WFs to come later. I typed GFs on KK's laptop, but WFs is 2/3rds finished on my phone since I started yesterday.

unknown522

Some guy
Vs armada WF:

Game 1:

When that aerial drill hit. I knew you were going to shine and get d-smashed. You probably know to run away / jump / shield /w/e.

The frying pan was pretty cool. You could've easily avoided that though. He did it before you started your recovery.

For most of the first stock, he was just hitting with random FH b-airs. You didn't contest them win b-air at all, but you may have gotten a trade

Next stock, you shouldn'tve teched the u-throw when you guys were on the platform. You wouldve edge-cancelled. Well, if he did the combo right there was no way out anyway. The whole thing leading up to that was bad (you did rising n-air into his shield when he was on the platform).

The next edgeguard he gets, I would've personally illusioned there to either take a hit, or go for an edge-cancel.

@ 1:25, First off, when he was jumping up and down, you could’ve done a rising n-air at him to try and hit him out of his float. Secondly. When you hit that b-air on his shield, then he did a WD back, that was the time to turn around and n-air. Since he couldn't CC it and it looked like you actually did react to the WD, but took the wrong course of action.

Around 1:54, when he did that d-smash on the platform, you could SH u-air underneath. It will always beat the d-smash and probably would ground him because he is holding down. Then you get a free platform chase.

@ 1:56: when you shined his shield, then wavelanded on the platform and baited the grab. That was the time to drop and drill him to try and get a combo.

The next few minutes are pretty solid. You're defending yourself pretty well while chipping away at him. You weren't getting hit by anything major, but he was still ahead from the starting deficit. You gotta find a way to put in more drills in your approach. You get in close a lot, but if you can land a combo you can get the upper hand. I dunno how he missed that edgeguard at 3:48. That was probably the worst situation you could've been in.

Game 2:

You did really well this game. On the fire stage, I personally would've approached him in the corner. I love fighting close-quarters in most matchups. You kept the lead and managed to win thy game. There were some moments of random up-smashes and non-use of b-air. But whatever, you got the job done.

Game 3:

Good lead again at the start.

Around 9:14, you hit a n-air and just stood there. You could’ve d-tilt / dash attack / something

There’s not really much going on for the next minute and a half or so. Get hit by a lot of single hits over time. Sometimes you mess up a DD, or spot dodge, or shield unintentionally and don’t hit him for a while. Then after not hitting for a while, you start to throw kill moves randomly like up-smash, and falling u-air. The u-airs hit, but they didn’t do anything for you. Eventually you start to lose stocks. After 2 and a half minutes or so, you finally take a stock.

When he starts parasol stalling, don’t go into it. I know you tried to jump around it once and steal the ledge and it could’ve worked, but you were too short. His percent was really high, so he didn’t have much ledge options.

11:57, that waveshine -> d-smash was not good. Either f-throw, or launch

12:00, should’ve done one of these things after the rising n-air to the platform:
• f-tilt
• another n-air
• dash attack
• shine
• jab -> reverse b-air / n-air / shine
The reason as to why is because he used both his float and double jump, was at a decent percent, and was near the edge. The chances were really high to get an edgeguard. He also wasn’t at a percent for a vertical kill on DL64.

Game 4:

After the combo he did, you should’ve illusioned after the wall jump. You would’ve grabbed the ledge for sure

13:07, when he tried to read your jump with the u-air. That was a free n-air for you in that position. Afterwards when you chain the u-airs, you should’ve gone for the 3rd u-air instead of waiting. That was almost sure to kill unless an SDI moment happened.

13:29, you should’ve shined him out of his recovery when he went low. Also refresh your invincibility.

14:13, I knew that was going to happen. Illusion

Armada gets 2 combos and that ends game 4.

Game 5:

Opening was good, Then armada came back and edgeguarded well. You probably could’ve illusioned under him and avoided getting hit. Maybe not.

Second stock was going good, until the SD, You were hitting n-airs and b-airs and held your own while sticking to the ground.

16:39, I’m not sure why you wasted your double jump there when edgeguarding.

16:46, if you had done an illusion at the top of your jump, you would’ve gone over him. He was already mid-float

17:06, it was good that you took the ledge. You should’ve refreshed invincibility though

17:10, should’ve taken the ledge instead of going for the shine

17:39, I was so sure you were going to get hit by the turnip.

18:17, you probably could’ve FH n-air to hit him out of his float from where you were both positioned.

At the end you just started running into his aerials. Then the last hit, you messed up your dash I think.

Well, good luck on the weekend

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
I want to get better and read up on fox tactics but I don't even know where to start >_> so much stuff on this board

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
How do you jc grab and what's the point of it?

When a character jumps, they do not leave the ground instantly. There is 3-8 frames of "jumpsquat". This jumpsquat animation can be canceled into a few things, one of which is grab. To perform this, simply press Z after pressing X/Y but before leaving the ground (usually you press them "at the same time").

To explain why it is useful, let me first explain the two types of grab animations. There is a standing grab animation and a dash grab animation. For most characters, dash grab starts later and has more lag, but can be done while running or dashing. When you jump cancel grab, it uses your standing grab animation as well as making your character slide on the ground a little ways (depending on their traction). So JC grab is not only an alternate to the dash grab, for most characters it is strictly better than dash grab.

Hope that helps
10characte

Bones0

Smash Legend
The point of JC grabbing is to do a standing grab (because standing grabs are quicker than running grabs). I highly suggest you go back to the main section of the Fox forums and look through the thread with "Hitboxes" and "Frame Data" in the title. It's pretty important to know all of the details of your character's hitboxes and timings so well that you instinctively know when a move could hit if you used it. Hesitating because you aren't sure if a move is fast enough or reaches far enough to hit will make it difficult to take advantage of as many situations as possible.

From there, I would just watch tons and tons and tons of videos. I would pick a single top level Fox and watch a chunk of videos from him (try to get recent ones; YouTube has a function at the top for sorting videos by date). The reason I suggest watching a single player is because after a while, you'll have become accustomed to his style and his move choice in certain situations (how he edgeguards, how he approaches, how he stays back and lasers, etc). When you switch to a different player, you will be able to contrast these tendencies with the second player's tendencies and see how the difference in choices affects their overall style. The goal during all of this, however, shouldn't be to find a Fox to copy. You should be looking for pieces of solid gameplay that, when you've put together, will create your own unique style. Don't be afraid to try new things, but also don't be afraid to keep it super basic. Speaking of super basic, I would recommend Jman as a starting point. I think he has the best fundamentals of any Fox main, and they're only highlighted because he relies very little on flashy tricks.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Whenever I land a turn-around shine on someone I always mess up my jump. Any tips?
Still can't edgeguard doc, ugh. I know I just shine bair, but I always get hit by a pill, and then he upB's into me. I hate him.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Kels is the master you seek. "The Kels" is the act of moving towards an opponent's attack and then shining on the frame of impact, hitting them out of whatever they were doing. While most people think only Kels has the power to do this, I proved them wrong when I used this technique to seal my win against Matt R.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
When I went for these all the time, my method was to line Fox up in front of where their firefox is going to move and DJ > shine in front of them just as they start moving (so this is timing heavy - you fall past them just as the startup is finishing and then DJ > shine; if you do it too early you fall too far and they start flying overhead unless you try to desperation shine). It seems to cut off a lot of areas and you're going in front of their movement paths so the timing is the same regardless of their angle so long as they're moving forward - if they go up and fall to their death, just make sure they don't clip your firefox flames and survive as you're recovering (or you gimp them off it).

Otherwise you just kind of get a feel for it if you're not using a DJ adjustment and the timing varies for each angle and distance. It's doable but hard. I prefer traditional edgeguards or pushing them into shines with aerials if they go above the stage (or comboing a bunch of uairs if it's low percent) but the shine can be a really good payoff and it's less work if you get it (conserves gas).

Fox's shine is bigger than his body and more disjointed in certain spots than others. Most people do it too late. Those hints might make this easier.

i still havent seen the 3rd lotr movie
Snape kills Dumbledore.

unknown522

Some guy
Kels is the master you seek. "The Kels" is the act of moving towards an opponent's attack and then shining on the frame of impact, hitting them out of whatever they were doing. While most people think only Kels has the power to do this, I proved them wrong when I used this technique to seal my win against Matt R.
its called "cactuar luck" get it right man

It's also called the "blunted object" when done with falco

Niko_K

Smash Master
Some Fox vs Doc advice for myself and anyone else looking to study the matchup more would be deeply appreciated.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Id like to see a luck match between kels and cactuar. I don't have first hand experience with cactuar, but kels is the luckiest player i've ever seen

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Really? I'd consider myself really really lucky. How else would I get random shield stabs or do 3 stock comebacks, beat the best in the world or just have random setups that can devastate a stock just because the setup was there without me realizing it first lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
how'd mattdotzeb make that list? He lost all his hair in a MM with The Good Doctor a while back. I didn't see any luck there.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master

YES. THIS. OMFG. THIS A MILLION TIMES AND I HATE IT SO ****ING MUCH. And it's ONLY ****ing Eric.

Antiair shine has lost me tournament games to Blunted Object. ._.

The fact that you know this despite being EC means you must REALLY know your Canadian brethren.

Top Bottom