• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Brookman

Smash Hero
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (3 members and 0 guests)
Brookman, EWC, Proskater+

practice still makes perfect. even when you're at a high level. I can assure you PP practices on his own as often as he can manage.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Doesn't Armada practice like some insane amount of hours per day? I just bought a new power cord, so I hope to get at least 3 hours in a day.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Idk why he would since he could practice vs. Twitch and probably get much more out of a session.
Sort of.

I practice on my own to learn specific technical things, build ideas related to combos and movement, and get used to a stage. I don't do any of those things as well consciously while playing a match. I only adapt to a situation/multiple situations and use something I already have figure out. Sometimes I can create new solutions to problems I hadn't thought of using things I figured out on my own, but the things that come on my own time must come first.

I feel like I mostly used the same words there, so basically I mean that I can get quite a bit out of playing on my own because I can think to myself and stop and take time to think. When playing someone, I would rather spend my time solving problems as quickly as possible because that's what I would have to do in tournament.

Very basically, I believe I can train different skills playing on my own vs playing with a person.

Twitch doesn't want to/isn't able to play me as much as he used to, and so I've grown to learn how to make time I want to play Melee interesting and useful. As long as I have brainstormed before I sit down, then it is always a productive session and I desire to play more afterward.

I'm pretty sure I believe in throwing words at a(n) problem/idea and hoping it works out LOL.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I like having Brookman back. Him and umbreonmow are like the same person i swear.

I play by myself like twice a week. But i wouldn't call it "practice" because i dont have any goal or aim. I just shffl around for liek 10 mins until i get bored. Its really more a fix, like i have to play the game to some extent or else i get a serious craving >_>

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I guess my smash schedule is pretty balanced out. My friend has a venue now so a number of players can play smash on fridays. I play Cpus sometimes if I want to experiment on something.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Iv'e been implementing chain grabbing falco in my play more. I think it's an old school tool that has been neglected for a while but with good reaction, it can be successful in many situations.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Not necessarily out of style but not implemented enough. Their are times when fox would tech chase, miss it then get punished for it. Their are a videos from the past two No Johns tourneys that I can use as a reference.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I agree with sinji about the chaingrab thing though. I think there has been a paradigm shift in the metagame where people would rather not chaingrab and tech-chase ruthlessly because its "gay" and NO ONE want to be "that guy".

rainbow dash dance
You, you are my favorite.

unknown522

Some guy
the day I have a good controller, is the day I will CG. I would love to gay back falcos for their easy auto-death combos.

I don't do it anymore because I'm gonna mess it up due to a bad controller. Since I'm gonna mess up eventually, then I'd rather maximize my damage.

Also, after 50%, it's not really needed.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Your controller is so screwed up that you can't input JC grabs accurately?
You don't have to do anything special like pivoting to chaingrab Falco right?

Armada

Smash Lord
Doesn't Armada practice like some insane amount of hours per day? I just bought a new power cord, so I hope to get at least 3 hours in a day.
Actually not. I usually play 1h every day with Android but if I attend a smashfest or I visit some smash players house I can play the entire day without a problem. But the most days is only 1h but in average it is more because of some weekends with friends gives me many hours.

But a couple weeks before a big national in USA I play way more too just to be sure I will be in really good shape (both against other players but also alone).

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
But a couple weeks before a big national in USA I play way more too just to be sure I will be in really good shape (both against other players but also alone).
When you say alone, do you practice on computers or just in training mode? I tend to have to practice a lot and I just play around with level 7s and even though I main Peach I usually play most of the other characters and improve my tech skill and movement since it doesn't seem like it's helping me at all with Peach.

Armada

Smash Lord
Against level 1 computers. Usually just practice normal combos and some tech skill stuff too (FC stuff). But also stuff like monewalk (just in case if I need it in tournament). But like I said mostly Im working on my combos. It feels like it gives me more consistent skills.

But I do play other chars too when Im playing alone cause like you said they help your tech skill. But I also play other chars a lot in friendlis and I love playing them so ofc I wanna be good with them =).

And I think learning more chars is really good when you face those chars. It gives you more knowledge about how thigs works and why it works.

unknown522

Some guy
Your controller is so screwed up that you can't input JC grabs accurately?
You don't have to do anything special like pivoting to chaingrab Falco right?
mine just recently broke, but the control stick on that one was sticky (like when you release a direction, it still holds a bit longer). I miss dashes out of the throw, so a lot of times I had to sadly tech chase if they DI away from the throw at lower percents. Well, there were other problems with it, but they don't matter for JC grabbing.

The current controller I'm using has a stiff joystick and also misses dash imputs. Even when trying to DD. Sometimes if I try to dash with it, it will just walk instead (which is why I stopped using it a long time ago). It's just a temporary replacement until my new one comes in.

Ryan try the controller I'm selling Saturday?

:phone:
nah, I'm gonna use my new one.

Top Bottom