• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Yeah drill->grab true combos and if they try to spotdodge/roll your grab will still get them in the frames before they are invincible. Also if they just hold shield you'll get them. Its pretty relaiable.

:phone:
yes, butdoesn't it only true combo's if you do it perfectly? there's a lot of variation in how people hit drills because of the fact that its multihit.

I know for a fact I've spotdodged drill grab and had it spot dodged vs me.

unknown522

Some guy
Yeah you need phantasy star online (rare these days) and a gc ethernet thing. Then after that you had to download some stuff to make ur gc connect to another one.

Like chillin said, its not reasonably playable due to lag. Also, random things such as luigi's sideb, peach's downb, and random stage elements make the games desync... I'll stick to melee the way itt is

I have PSO

unknown522

Some guy
Tristan, drill -> grab works on most characters. It's been discussed many times in this thread. The lighter the character, the easier it is to do. The characters it doesn't work on (bowser, ganon, maybe falcon, and maybe samus), you can just waveshine them anyway.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
haha I wasn't tryna say it's bad my dudes. I just thought it was escapable. I stand corrected i guess.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
What's a good way to improve your tech skill, I really want to become a really technical player and even reworked the way I hold my controller to where I hold it like a fighting stick http://youtube.com/watch?v=1RphJyv6Zpc

My tech skill is still pretty bad. Any advice?

I'm not saying you should change the way you should hold your controller, but if you are trying to get all funky, I suggest you shouldn't go past claw-style. Which is when your right thumb is on the c-stick, index finger handles A, B and x/y and middle finger moves to R and Z. It's more than enough to allow you to do everything as fast as humanly possible. Holding it like an arcade stick forces you to sit really awkwardly since the controller is small and not flat, and I imagine it can go off balance easily when pressing buttons quickly. Sorry if I am hating, but I just don't think you should do more than you need to. Try clawing if you want to boost your play speed via controller-handling without over compensating.

But to each his own I guess

Brookman

Smash Hero
To get good at tech skill you need to not only practice personally but also record yourself practicing. Watch high level players (mango/javi/lovage/sw) and try to mimic their movement in matches move for move. Record this and watch. Go back into the lab until you can move exactly like them consistently. I think it also helps to watch lots of TAS fox vids.

Brookman

Smash Hero
experience is huge, because tech skill goes beyond simply "knowing how" to L-cancel/short hop/fast fall etc. . .The depth and precision in application is so tremendous that the game is still being advanced ten years later. It's up to you to blaze the new trails in the game.

Anyone who plays with me knows that's more important to me than 'winning'
Of course, we're all limited by our own selves so at the end of the day if you want to be better you have to look yourself in the eye and really face what that means.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I think talent and intelligence show themselves most readily in ALLOWING A PLAYER to more quickly build experience and practice in an efficient manner (i.e. learn from practice)

so a talented player isn't necessarily someone who can do things others can't without trying, but a guy who makes the most of his practice and garners experience most effectively

in short, ingenuity/talent and experience/practice go hand in hand imo

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ummm... use the controller you've been using? lol Even if it's a little weird, it might be better than trying to get used to a new one. I strangely have almost no issues switching to new controllers, but I know it's different for everyone.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
About shield pressure.

I notice that mango does a late nair then circles around you shield with shines. It's a wonderful tool because it messes up your opponents train thought when thinking of a defensive option and if they get shield poked with the shine, it can lead to a wavedash>upsmash. Also the how he waveshines past his opponents and then grabs them from behind.

This is from Genesis 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMLambF_wgo&feature=related

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
he said it best himself, he can write a book about shield pressure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpH6VaTwiE&feature=player_detailpage#t=250s

sees the shieldpoke, knows he will turn around when getting hit, waveshines behind him and continues pressuring
Yea. His tactical style is somewhat like a halo player. maintaining control of the stage. taking advantage of the other characters abilities. I hope he writes something on shield pressure, either here or DBR.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Yo lovage was talking about this a little while ago. But the most pimpest thing in shield pressure these days is aerial-> tiny delay-> shine.

Delayed aerials are so 2009. Delayed shines are tha future.

inb4 grampa brookman comes to tell us he's been doing that since 2004

Brookman

Smash Hero
back in my day, the point of hitting someones shield was to REACT to them dropping shield and pressing down + b

>_>

Brookman

Smash Hero
I've been doing that recently. It helps that I can JC shine pretty frikken well. Not that I play tourney really in over a year but I still play with the local tourney-goers.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LOL I love how messing up techskill can lead to all of the above happening.

Manacloud style shield pressure (aka miss an L-cancel and get rewarded for it) for the win.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Stuff that immediately comes to mind: Lovage at Big House/Apex, Silent Wolf in various sets vs. Sion/Diakonos etc., Javi at Apex (particularly vs. PP), Unknown522 at Apex although idk how many of those sets are up, Mango's Fox at Genesis 2, SFAT at Genesis 2/Big House/Apex etc. I guess.

Top Bottom